MovieMadness

Any John Wayne fans here?

63 posts in this topic

Looks like they have a huge John Wayne overdose of movies coming up over the next week and a half once Easter is over. Full days and nights, if anyone ever wanted to see non-stop John Wayne this is your chance!

There's plenty of them here. I'm not one of them, but I've been in that minority since childhood.

Nor am I. In fact, he is one of the very few I almost refuse to criticize due to his manic popularity here. I almost choked when I saw the topic. I mean like, duh! And then there is the movie that seems to be the most universally loved in the history of the universe, the ultimate to-die-for, I speak of course of no other than the inimitable, the exalted, the one and apparently only, The Searchers, a movie that certainly has merit but IMO JW is not one of the reasons for it. Of course I know we are free to speak our minds here and if we do so responsiblility it's probably quite all right to say just about anything but in the interest of peace on earth and general good will to all (and the fact that I have gotten rather fond of breathing) I usually reign in my true feelings about you-know-who and about that movie. He is not all bad though :) I like some of his early stuff, including Stagecoach and especially Fort Apache but not much else. But he gets the last laugh, I know of know other (although I can think of some close rivals, like Coop for instance, another groaner for me) whose name is so sacrosanct that that of John Wayne, the Duke. And more power to him, he's just not my cuppa, I guess.

laffite, as much as I disagree with you about The Searchers ( it's one of my all time favorite films) I have to say I got a kick out of your post. Well written, to the point and honest. I think John Wayne is perfect in this great film but I also think Jeffrey Hunter is just as great in it. It's my favorite of Jeffrey Hunter's performances. Whenever I think of this film, I think of both Wayne and Hunter as a great duo and I don't think the film would have been as great with any other 2 actors. Sorry that you don't get the same pleasure I get from watching The Searchers, but your post was a good one and glad that you had the courage to post your feelings about a film that is much loved around here :)

Ya gotta love the rip-roaring comedies that Wayne did in the 1960s, including "North to Alaska" (1960), "McLintock!" (1963) and "Donovan's Reef" (1963). "McLintock!" produced my favorite all-time Wayne movie line:

There's plenty of them here. I'm not one of them, but I've been in that minority since childhood.

I'm not much of a John Wayne fan either, but I like some of his movies. I'm thrilled that Shepherd of the Hills will be shown next week. It has perhaps the great Beulah Bondi's strangest role, as evil Aunt Molly. Her scene with the ring of fire is truly chilling. Marjorie Main is also great in the film. Though John Wayne is the lead, it's the others who make this unusual film really compelling.

I'm not much of a John Wayne fan either, but I like some of his movies.

I don't mind Wayne all that much, but his movies bore me s t i f f*.  Too many horses and not enough sidewalks.  Good thing the Yankees are off to a good start as an alternative to an entire week's worth of him.

*I really should begin counting the inane words that get replaced by asterisks.

It really is pathetic when the word "****" has to be censored! This is too childish. Why doesn't TCM start censoring these words out of all the films they show? No one would ever be able to ask for a **** drink!

The word I tried to type was s t i f f

The last word I used that was censored was Puck, in reference to Mickey Rooney and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Puck now seems to have joined the canon of permitted words.

I'm a pretty big John Wayne fan. Love him in The Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, McLintock, Red River, & El Dorado.

MovieMadness:

The reason for all of the hoopla is the fact that TCM has Marion Robert Morrison as the Star of the Month. TCM has begun to showcase their star of the month as three to four day marathons, instead of spreading the Star of Month over the entire month. So if you are a person like Laffite or dark blue, then you are probably not going to watch these films in the first place.

Me on the other hand, I have seen most of his films more than ten times each. And since I do not subscribe to TCM at this time due to monetary issues, I think that it is wonderful that TCM is honoring him. Although they should have done this tribute in May, since that is the month he was born. May 26, 1907 in Winterset, Iowa.

As far as having many critics, I think that could be said of many actors, actresses and other creative people. Not everyone is going to like every actor or actress that has appeared on the silver screen. For me, I can't stand the Marx Brothers, so I do not watch any of their films. But I can understand why some people do not like John Wayne. He is not for everyone.

But I will have to say that of all of John Wayne's westerns, his best IMHO are the following in order of acting:

Red River
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
The Searchers
The Shootist
Hondo
True Grit
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Stagecoach
Rio Bravo
3 Godfathers
Rio Grande
Fort Apache
El Dorado
The Cowboys
The Comancheros

Tall in the Saddle
McLintock!
Chisum
Angel and the Badman
Big Jake

I'm not much of a John Wayne fan either, but I like some of his movies.

I don't mind Wayne all that much, but his movies bore me s t i f f*.  Too many horses and not enough sidewalks.  Good thing the Yankees are off to a good start as an alternative to an entire week's worth of him.

YANKEES!!!  What an obnoxious nasty 4 letter cuss word!!  My condolences to your fanhood.  The one thing I love most about Wayne movies (not a big Wayne fan) is the overall lack of sidewalks and the glorious outdoor scenery in so many of them.  Sidewalks are highly overrated as scenic commodities.

Ah, John Wayne.  People either love him to death, or hate him to pieces.  There are few who can simply take him or leave him.  Probably a better actor than many of his movies required him to be, yet I'd hesitate to recommend him for HAMLET.  Now, I'm not chastising anyone here specifically, but in my experience, those I've met who claim a dislike for the Duke are usually pretty pretentious movie buffs.  Truth is, I never expected any more from a John Wayne movie except a pleasant distraction and harmless way to pass 90 minutes to two hours.  I was never offended by a John Wayne movie.  I was never required to "explore" any "multi-layered subtexts" in their plots.  Never went away from seeing a Wayne movie self debating the state of the human condition.  I usually went to see a John Wayne movie expecting nothing more than clear cut, "heart on the sleeve" entertainment. and usually got it.  I didn't like them all mind you, but Wayne had nothing to do with that.

Wayne's characters were usually black and white in their make up.  Uncomplicated.  Uncomprimising, and often unapologetic about it.  Yet, once proven wrong in their beliefs, were still man enough to admit it.  Anybody could do worse than be like that, and many people seem to strive not to be like that.  But it was that quality in Wayne's movie roles that many people found engaging.   Somebody once said that "John Wayne represents America and American values".  I think that's a fair assessment.

Sepiatone

Somebody once said that "John Wayne represents America and American values".  I think that's a fair assessment.

Sepiatone

DITTO

YANKEES!!!  What an obnoxious nasty 4 letter cuss word!!  My condolences to your fanhood.  The one thing I love most about Wayne movies (not a big Wayne fan) is the overall lack of sidewalks and the glorious outdoor scenery in so many of them.  Sidewalks are highly overrated as scenic commodities.

Nah, once you've seen one stage set tumbleweed, you've seen em all.  When I want to savor the great outdoors, I like it in three dimensions and in odorama.  Much better for the lungs, unless you're downwind from a factory farm.

OTOH I seldom run into Jimmy Cagney or Robert Ryan when I start walking around the downtown streets of Washington.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody once said that "John Wayne represents America and American values".  I think that's a fair assessment.

I take John Wayne in the same spirit as I take an equally popular American icon:

"Here's to alcohol: The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems!"

-----H.J. Simpson, Springfield, USA

It really is pathetic when the word "****" has to be censored! This is too childish. Why doesn't TCM start censoring these words out of all the films they show? No one would ever be able to ask for a **** drink!

The word I tried to type was s t i f f

The last word I used that was censored was Puck, in reference to Mickey Rooney and A Midsummer Night's Dream. Puck now seems to have joined the canon of permitted words.

Just write it as stiff_drink, and it will work every time! I learned that when I couldn't type the name Dick Van_Dyke without consequences.

Just write it as stiff_drink, and it will work every time! I learned that when I couldn't type the name Dick Van_Dyke without consequences.

I'm surprised you wouldn't have to write that as Dick_Van_Dyke. Gosh, Dick, you were a funny man but I didn't realize till now that your name was so full of, uh, consequences. :o

Ah, John Wayne.  People either love him to death, or hate him to pieces.  There are few who can simply take him or leave him. 

Sepiatone

Well at this forum I believe there are few that hate him to pieces and way more in the take him or leave him category.

I'm one of those.     There are a handful of movies like Red River, Liberty Valance, The Searchers,  StageCoach, Angel and the Badman that I really enjoy.  These are well made first class productions and Wayne does well as an actor.   Of course all those films are westerns a genre where Wayne was a good fit.   But Wayne isn't one of my top 20 favorite actors of the studio-era.   I don't really enjoy seeing Wayne in a suit.

• Like 1

I'm surprised you wouldn't have to write that as Dick_Van_Dyke. Gosh, Dick, you were a funny man but I didn't realize till now that your name was so full of, uh, consequences. :o

Ha! :)

I don't even want to think about using the names of some of the women in the James Bond movies.

Nah, once you've seen one stage set tumbleweed, you've seen em all.  When I want to savor the great outdoors, I like it in three dimensions and in odorama.  Much better for the lungs, unless you're downwind from a factory farm.

OTOH I seldom run into Jimmy Cagney or Robert Ryan when I start walking around the downtown streets of Washington.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I take John Wayne in the same spirit as I take an equally popular American icon:

"Here's to alcohol: The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems!"

-----H.J. Simpson, Springfield, USA

Monument Valley, Professor Valley, New Mexico, San Juan River, Colorado River, Valley of the Gods, Arizona, Utah in general:  John Wayne made these famous in various films.  Only a Yankee fan would only think stage sets and and sidewalks in regards to Wayne and Ford..  I'm only a few hours from most of these epic Ford filming sites.  They dwarf the concrete Manhattan and smell so much better.

...OTOH I seldom run into Jimmy Cagney or Robert Ryan when I start walking around the downtown streets of Washington. ...

For what it's worth (probably not much), I once ran into Tony Curtis in downtown DC.  Or, more accurately, he almost literally ran into me, saving the situation by offering me a handshake before being steered away by his companion.

Monument Valley, Professor Valley, New Mexico, San Juan River, Colorado River, Valley of the Gods, Arizona, Utah in general:  John Wayne made these famous in various films.  Only a Yankee fan would only think stage sets and and sidewalks in regards to Wayne and Ford..  I'm only a few hours from most of these epic Ford filming sites.  They dwarf the concrete Manhattan and smell so much better.

I think it was John Ford of the great Yankee state of Maine who made Monument Valley famous. And perhaps those other places as well.

Um -- I think it was John Ford who made Monument Valley famous. 

With a little help from his friends..............................

I was mentally writing my post to this topic and then came upon Sepiatone's much more erudite entry, so all I will say is that is my feeling about Wayne as well.

However, I am a bit surprised that some posters were reluctant to share that they aren't fans of Wayne. I'm pretty new to these boards, but I never would expect that everyone has the same affection toward any actor/actress. We all enjoy classic films, so why snipe at one another over personal preferences? I'm not a fan of Brando or Garland but I appreciate their contributions to film and understand why their fans are legion. Hell, nobody is right or wrong in these matters.