Arturo

GENE TIERNEY!

34 posts in this topic

Starting with this week's Essential LAURA (1944), TCM will feature a might of three films with the stunningly beautiful Gene Tierney (all costarring Dana Andrews btw). It starts with the TCM premiere of LAURA, the classic noir whodunit which cemented Tierney's stardom, this superbly written mystery features many fine performances, including starmaking ones by Andrews and Clifton Webb. It also established for good Otto Preminger as a movie director.

This is followed by another classic noir with Tierney, Andrews and Preminger, the brutal WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS (1950). Andrews again plays a cop, as in LAURA, but this time he has something to hide. Highly recommended.

Lastly, is 1948's THE IRON CURTAIN, dealing with the Cold War, then just heating up. Not as compelling as the other two, but interesting nonetheless.

If that's not enough for Tierney fans, Fox Movie Channel will also have several of her films in the next week and a half or so. Earlier on Saturday, at 7:30.am.Eastern,.they will air DRAGONWYCK (1946), in which Gene finds new husband Vincent Price menacing in this tale of Upstate New York a couple of centuries ago.

On Tuesday,.April 22 @ 11:15 am eastern, Fox will show another Preminger directed noir, WHIRLPOOL (1949), in which a mentally ill Geneis led astray by conman hypnotist José Ferrer, with Richard Conte her clueless psychiatrist husband.

For those needing more, on Sunday 4/27 @ 10:25 am.est,.and Monday, 4/28 @ 9:15 am est,.Fox.will show THE EGYPTIAN (1954), a more compelling than usual early cinemascope epic with a big name cast.

It's good to see more Fox.titles on TCM, as.this Saturday attests, and all the better when they star the beauteous Gene Tierney.

• Like 3

It starts with the TCM premiere of LAURA, the classic noir whodunit which cemented Tierney's stardom

It is really the TCM premiere of LAURA? Wasn't it an "Essential" many years ago? I thought I remember seeing the title on a list of past Essentials that were posted on the board.

At any rate, I am glad it is airing. There are actually 4 airings of LAURA scheduled for the next 3 months.

I love Gene Tierney, especially in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN and THE RAZOR'S EDGE, where she plays basically unsympathetic characters.

This is followed by another classic noir with Tierney, Andrews and Preminger, the brutal WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS (1950). Andrews again plays a cop, as in LAURA, but this time he has something to hide. Highly recommended.

That's new to me. Thanks for the heads-up, sounds very good.

Beauty, talent and RANGE!

She certainly was the complete package.  It will be great viewing.

Sepiatone

On Tuesday,.April 22 @ 11:15 am eastern, Fox will show another Preminger directed noir, WHIRLPOOL (1949), in which a mentally ill Game is led astray by conman hypnotist José Ferrer, with Richard Conte her clueless psychiatrist husband.

Next to the all-time top 10 noir Laura, that'll be the highlight film of the week for me.  I usually can't stand Jose Ferrer, but the extent of Evilness that he portrays in Whirlpool is off the charts, and makes it worth watching beyond Tierney's usual stunning beauty.  Ironically, although Conte is almost always a solid noir actor, in this particular film "clueless" pretty much does describe him.  This is a movie I've now seen three times, and it gets better with every new viewing.

Thrilled about the Gene Tierney triple feature on Saturday night, particularly with the premiere (I believe it is a premiere) of "Laura" (one of my absolute favorite films)  as one of "The Essentials."

The only cringe worthy conundrum is imagining what inane comments Drew Barrymore will make

about such an incredible film. Out of town so I will tape it insuring I can fast forward through Drew's silly "blah, blah."  Sample potential comment:  "Ooooo.  I think Gene Tierney is soooo awesome!"

Lydecker

On Tuesday,.April 22 @ 11:15 am eastern, Fox will show another Preminger directed noir, WHIRLPOOL (1949), in which a mentally ill Game is led astray by conman hypnotist José Ferrer, with Richard Conte her clueless psychiatrist husband.

Next to the all-time top 10 noir Laura, that'll be the highlight film of the week for me.  I usually can't stand Jose Ferrer, but the extent of Evilness that he portrays in Whirlpool is off the charts, and makes it worth watching beyond Tierney's usual stunning beauty.  Ironically, although Conte is almost always a solid noir actor, in this particular film "clueless" pretty much does describe him.  This is a movie I've now seen three times, and it gets better with every new viewing.

The MOVIES station plays Laura and Whirlpool a lot.   Of course there are commercials but I still find myself turning to watch these movies,  switching to other stations during the commercials and returning when there isn't anything better on (which is often the case).

Conte appears out of place in Whirlpool as the clueless husband.     He might of been better in the policeman role and an actor like Van Helfin as the husband.

Ditto obrienmundy.

Posts can't be edited?????????????????????? :o

Dear self: hover over the function next to 'MultiQuote'. It is greyed out but you will see both 'edit' and 'report' appear.

Thank you, self!!!!!!!

The MOVIES station plays Laura and Whirlpool a lot.   Of course there are commercials but I still find myself turning to watch these movies,  switching to other stations during the commercials and returning when there isn't anything better on (which is often the case).

Thanks for the note, but there's just something in me that won't let me watch any movie with commercial interruptions, especially since they're so often edited to fit the time slot.  Also, I get the FMC and have seen and recorded both of those movies from that station on several occasions.

Conte appears out of place in Whirlpool as the clueless husband.     He might of been better in the policeman role and an actor like Van Helfin as the husband.

Good points, and I agree that that would've made a great movie into an even greater one.

wouldn't it be cool if some station without commercials threw in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir?

TCM showed THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR during this year's 31 Days of Oscar. I think Robert Osborne said it was a TCM premiere during his introduction to the movie.

I agree, Andy. I won't stoop (and overpay) to getting a DVR for the purposes of editing out commercials since the shows I no longer watch shows with commercials.

Holden, yup, I saw the wonderful Ghost and Mrs. Muir on FMC before they had commercials. I would just love to see it thrown into the mix tonight on the Retro pay channel or a PBS channel. Ah well.

Am I missing something, is a note no longer able to be edited after it is posted? :unsure:

Never mind, 'edit' is greyed out until you hover over it. Okey dokey then.

I see the very annoying 'edited by' is a choice now, and not a default that must be deselected. Well done, TCM. Oh and TCM, your search facility is now top notch.

Big improvement on your board.

Thrilled about the Gene Tierney triple feature on Saturday night, particularly with the premiere (I believe it is a premiere) of "Laura" (one of my absolute favorite films)  as one of "The Essentials."

The only cringe worthy conundrum is imagining what inane comments Drew Barrymore will make

about such an incredible film. Out of town so I will tape it insuring I can fast forward through Drew's silly "blah, blah."  Sample potential comment:  "Ooooo.  I think Gene Tierney is soooo awesome!"

Lydecker

Even a film that one would normally look forward to has the anticipation lessened by the prospect of having to listen to Drew's blathering.

I wonder if you guys would feel the same way about this if Drew had a sexy overbite like Gene had???

(...oh...wait...Gene never sounded like a Valley Girl, huh....never mind)

Thanks for the note, but there's just something in me that won't let me watch any movie with commercial interruptions, especially since they're so often edited to fit the time slot.  Also, I get the FMC and have seen and recorded both of those movies from that station on several occasions.

Good points, and I agree that that would've made a great movie into an even greater one.

At least MOVIES doesn't edit any content to fit in commercials and the interruptions are done at the right time (well about the best one could do, and not right during a scene like AMC does).     This does lead to the movies starting at very strange times since they don't have much filler material like TCM so that movies generally start at the hour or half-hour.

Either way,  nothing beats now TCM shows films so watching Laura on TCM will be a treat.     

Lydecker said of Drew Barrymore:

*Sample potential comment: "Ooooo.  I think Gene Tierney is Soooo awesome!"*

I disagree.  She'll most likely say, "A-MAZE- ing!"

Sepiatone

Even a film that one would normally look forward to has the anticipation lessened by the prospect of having to listen to Drew's blathering.

I couldn't agree more. When Alec Baldwin was on with Robert Osborne I used to listen intently to their commentary. I continue to listen to Robert O. but find I just have to tune Drew Barrymore out. 

• Like 1

It was a treat to see Laura today on TCM.

About 12 years ago I saw it at a theatre with a pre-show interview with composer David Raksin.  He was funny and wonderful.  When his name showed in the credits there was thunderous applause, and also at the first notes of his brilliant score.  After the movie the Mighty Wurlitzer rose from the depths and the organist played the film's music.  Afterward, David Raksin graciously signed autographs in the lobby.  

A memorable and deeply moving evening!

Although I have seen WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS some 10 or 12 times, tonight I noticed something for the first time. During the scene where Tierney is at work modeling a gown, I noticed her ex husband, Oleg.Cassini is there, as a designer,.as im real life. He often designed Gene's gowns in her modern dress films, even after.the marriage was over. Oleg has such a distinctive look I'm surprised I never noticed him before.

I first saw LAURA in a film class in college. My sister had taken the same class and, although not a classic film fan per se, she really liked this movie. 

I wish Robert Osborne and Drew Barrymore had elaborated more on the ending of the movie that tested poorly with audiences thus allowing Preminger to get the ending he wanted in the released film.

I have the fox issued dvds of both LAURA and WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS. Both have audio commentary (I believe many of the fox dvds have some sort of commentary). The LAURA dvd has a lot of extras, 2 different commentaries, bios on Gene Tierney and Vincent Price, theater trailer, and a deleted scene.