Sign in to follow this  
drednm

Enchantment (1921)

8 posts in this topic

My Kickstarter campaign to buy a copy of Marion Davies' 1921 film Enchantment has ended, and it was a success. The copy from the Library of Congress is exceptional (with a few bits of decomposition), and the music score by Donald Sosin is excellent. Donors to the campaign have started to receive their copies and feedback is quite positive. So that's two Marion Davies films I've freed from the Library of Congress (thank goodness for their archive and restoration programs!), films that would most likely never have received commercial DVD releases (Getting Mary Married (1919) is the other one).

So .... if you have a film you wish to see, and if the Library of Congress has it, you don't necessarily need to wait for a commercial vender to bring it to DVD.

• Like 1

Here's a clip of my tinted version of the Sleeping Beauty sequence in Enchantment. The video quality has degraded noticeably from the B&W master. No idea why. But gives a good idea what a pro could do with this film. Music by Donald Sosin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAs4GjMxnaE

My Kickstarter campaign to buy a copy of Marion Davies' 1921 film Enchantment has ended, and it was a success. The copy from the Library of Congress is exceptional (with a few bits of decomposition), and the music score by Donald Sosin is excellent. Donors to the campaign have started to receive their copies and feedback is quite positive. So that's two Marion Davies films I've freed from the Library of Congress (thank goodness for their archive and restoration programs!), films that would most likely never have received commercial DVD releases (Getting Mary Married (1919) is the other one).

So .... if you have a film you wish to see, and if the Library of Congress has it, you don't necessarily need to wait for a commercial vender to bring it to DVD.

Wonder if there's any hope for a DVD release of the original Holiday with Ann Harding? I've read LOC has the only copy!

Seems unlikely but at least there's a copy of the Harding film floating around the gray market. UCLA has supposedly a complete version of Harding's East Lynne which I'd love to see.