Sign in to follow this  
Kid Dabb

Trivia for the other 98% of us

735 posts in this topic

Is it James Cagney?

Wow, that was fast!  Yes, that's correct, Marsha.  Good job.  Please name the film as well, then you can post the next question. 

Wow, that was fast!  Yes, that's correct, Marsha.  Good job.  Please name the film as well, then you can post the next question. 

Thanks, Azure. James Cagney won the Best Actor Oscar for his performance as George M. Cohan in the film "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

Next: This actress was rejected by Cecil B. DeMille for his film "The Greatest Show On Earth" and cast Gloria Grahame instead.  Who is the actress and extra points for the reason that DeMille rejected her. 

Lucille Ball, and her pregnancy?

Lawrence, Lucille Ball is a good guess, however, this actress was a brunette and was at one time married to an internationally famous actor/comedian/writer/director/composer.

Paulette Goddard?

Excellent, Terrence.  Paulette Goddard it is and DeMille did not cast her in "The Greatest Show On Earth" because she had refused to do a stunt while making his film "Unconquered".  The thread is yours.

Thanks, Marsha.  Wow, the things I learn from all of you movie experts. 

When this actress was assigned to a western with Audie Murphy, she decided it was time to walk out on her studio contract.  She went to New York to study acting, and her career blossomed.

Sorry, Lafitte.  Not Marilyn.  (But I must admit that Marilyn and Audie would make an interesting couple.)

Thanks, Marsha. Wow, the things I learn from all of you movie experts.

When this actress was assigned to a western with Audie Murphy, she decided it was time to walk out on her studio contract. She went to New York to study acting, and her career blossomed.

I'm guessing this was Piper Laurie at Universal. She has recently made comments about how Ronald Reagan was on this side of Jack Kennedy when it came to his sexual egocentrism and reputation for deflowering virgins. She was as a 19 year old girl when she first met him on the set of Louisa.

She's the one, Princess.  After being told by the studio to make a musical with Rory Calhoun, for which she felt terribly miscast, being put in an Audie Murphy western was the last straw for her.  Good going, Princess.  It's all yours now.

Thanx, Terrence--

Next--

This classic Radio, movie and TV actress was courted by her comedian husband in the department store where she worked downtown in Los Angeles.

Please identify this Hollywood couple.

Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone?

Yes, Star

How many times I saw that on the Jack Benny Show, her working in the May Company, had no idea it was for real!

Star, it's all yours--

As a matter of fact, I do, Terrence, and thank you for reminding me about this thread, which I obviously had forgotten all about.

A movie adaptation of a Broadway play became a sleeper hit for its studio.  Two years later, another movie, based on another play, reunited six members of the cast of the first movie and proved to be such a hit that it launched a very popular series.  Name the 2 movies.  Bonus points if you can name all 6 cast members.  

Hint:  The first movie was an adaptation of a Eugene O'Neill play and the series that was launched by the second movie would win a special Oscar for its achievement in representing the American way of life.

Thanks for the hint, Star.  That helped a lot.  I think the two films are Ah, Wilderness and A Family Affair.  The six actors were Lionel Barrymore, Mickey Rooney, Spring Byington, Celia Parker, Charley Grapewin, and Eric Linden. 

Thanks, Star.

Next:  Who was the first woman to win an Oscar for Best Actress?