Sign in to follow this  
BartonKeyes

Actor Bob Hoskins has died

22 posts in this topic

Actor Bob Hoskins, best known for his roles in The Long Good Friday (1980), Mona Lisa (1986), and Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), has died of pneumonia at the age of 71. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27224995

Would people consider him a 'classic film' actor?  We now have actors whose film careers started after the production code ended, dying in their older age.

Bob Hoskins: Excellent modern day actor whom I greatly enjoyed watching.  Mr. Hoskins would have been terrific as an actor in the Golden Age of Hollywood if he been born 40 years earlier than he was.  I can easily see him in the crime dramas and noirs of the Golden Age.  He also had a definite comedic streak as well.  RIP Mr. Hoskins.

• Like 3

Bob Hoskins: Excellent modern day actor whom I greatly enjoyed watching.  Mr. Hoskins would have been terrific as an actor in the Golden Age of Hollywood if he been born 40 years earlier than he was.  I can easily see him in the crime dramas and noirs of the Golden Age.  He also had a definite comedic streak as well.  RIP Mr. Hoskins.

I agree.  He would have been wonderful in those late 40s-early 50s crime dramas.  And I think he would also have done well playing dictators or madmen in war films.

• Like 1

That IS sad news.  Comedy, drama and anything in between, he was good at it.

RIP, sir.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Bob Hoskins was superb in Mona Lisa and I love the old TV miniseries Flickers with Hoskins and Frances de la Tour.

• Like 1

Yes, very sad news... Always liked Bob Hoskins... First saw him in Dennis Potter's excellent BBC TV series "Pennies from Heaven" waaaaaaaay back in 1978 (when it was broadcast on TVOntario):

(Cheryl Campbell in the clip with Hoskins linked to above...)

Also excellent in "The Long Good Friday" (1980) and many other films...

R.I.P. Mr. Hoskins...

Also reminded of Hoskins in Jonathan Miller's BBC TV production of "Othello" from 1981 with Hoskins as Iago (saw it when broadcast on TVOntario waaaaay back in the day in '81):

• Like 1

So very sad to hear this. he was a wonderful actor, who commanded the screen when ever he appeared. I was a big fan of his work.  Could do so many genres, Drama, Comedy, Musicals. His "Pennies From Heaven" was a pleasure to watch. I know he announced his retirement in 2012 because of his fight with Parkinson's  disease. Another good one gone...

So very sad to hear this. he was a wonderful actor, who commanded the screen when ever he appeared. I was a big fan of his work.  Could do so many genres, Drama, Comedy, Musicals. His "Pennies From Heaven" was a pleasure to watch. I know he announced his retirement in 2012 because of his fight with Parkinson's  disease. Another good one gone...

This is indeed sad news. My mother, who loves WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?, also suffers of Parkinson's; I pray she may keep me company a few more years.

Funny BartonKeyes, that you started this thread. Looking at your avatar makes me think of Hoskins playing any part EG Robinson played. The news shocked me, Hoskins seemed "too young" to go. Truly a class act.

• Like 1

His was the most recognizable face in 'Pink Floyd: The Wall'.

'The Long Good Friday' was a great role for him. It's the first role I think of at the mention of his name.

According to the TCM database, the only movie of his where he played a starring role to appear on TCM was Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  He played supporting roles in Brazil, Nixon and Hook, which also appeared on TCM.  Strikes me as a good reason to show Felicity's Journey.

Bob Hoskins is absolutely brilliant in a 1999 film, "Felicity's Journey".  Bob Hoskins portrays a lonely middle-aged catering manager who befriends a young girl who is looking for the man who got her pregnant. The problem with Bob Hoskins' character is he has a very dark side: He is a serial killer of young girls and he has his sights set on the Felicity character.  Hoskins' portrayal of the serial killer in this film may be one of the best acting jobs which never received any notice.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Hoskins. You will be missed.  

bob-hoskins-002.jpgI saw Bob Hoskins on stage, playing Nathan Detroit in the National Theatre's 1982 production of Guys and Dolls. He was brilliant, as was the late Ian Charleson, who played Sky Masterson. Both have left us far too young.

A day or an evening of Bob Hoskins movies would be a good thing for TCM to schedule.  Marvelous actor.

That's sad to hear. I didn't find out about it until just now. I don't know him from many film roles, but "Pennies From Heaven" is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, and he was the perfect lead. Very sorry to hear this. I look forward to getting to know him better, posthumously.

Bob Hoskins is absolutely brilliant in a 1999 film, "Felicity's Journey".  Bob Hoskins portrays a lonely middle-aged catering manager who befriends a young girl who is looking for the man who got her pregnant. The problem with Bob Hoskins' character is he has a very dark side: He is a serial killer of young girls and he has his sights set on the Felicity character.  Hoskins' portrayal of the serial killer in this film may be one of the best acting jobs which never received any notice.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Hoskins. You will be missed.  

I forgot about Felicia's Journey. It was chilling and Mr. Hoskins put in his usual amazing performance.

220px-Felicias_Journey.jpg