Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

"Godzilla" (2014)

11 posts in this topic

Recently read an article about the new "Godzilla" flick:

http://metronews.ca/scene/1028293/loyal-to-zip-up-godzilla-japanese-wary-of-remake/

A Japanese fan is quoted in the article above saying:

"American Godzilla is just a giant iguana freaking out,”

referring to the upcoming flick opening on May 16.

The article also states that director Gareth Edwards "says he grew up watching Godzilla films."

But this article from May 8 quotes Gareth: “But I only saw the original black-and-white version when I was in my 30s after the British Film Institute rereleased the film on DVD. I had actually been watching it a few days before I got the call from my agent. He asked if I was sitting down, so I did. They then asked ‘Legendary have called and asked if you’d be interested in Godzilla?’ After that, I made a point of tracking all 28 of the films down and completing my collection. I even bought the Hanna-Barbera Cartoon — that how keen I was to be a good student!”

http://metronews.ca/scene/1027944/gareth-edwards-on-paying-homage-to-the-terrifying-spirit-of-1954s-gojira/

Edwards is 38 years old... Oh well...

He may have tracked down everything there is to know about Godzilla but I wonder if he got this:

(That's the late John Candy as "Grogan" - substitute Godzilla - and Dave Thomas as the interviewer. From an old "SCTV" episode. You may have to watch a brief commerical of some kind before getting to the actual skit.)

Oh well...

The last ridiculous remake with Mathew Broderick as the hero (?!) the Godzilla inspostor did look like  giant mutated iguana- this new film which I hope will be as amazing as the trailer feautures  a more traditional desing fot the monster star.

The last ridiculous remake with Mathew Broderick as the hero (?!) 

Never saw this one, Joe. So tell us, how was THAT Godzilla dispensed with at the end?

(...did perhaps Matthew bore him to death like he did many of us during his recent stint as a guest Friday night presenter???)

LOL 

I think every single thing about this film is horrible.  Everything.  The worst thing about it is that it is excrutiatingly dull.

This is the most serious "Godzilla" movie since 1954- the power of the original movie is that it uses fantasy to deal with a real issue- the terror of the nuclear age.  The new film never matches that subtext but as a classic sci-fi monster movie it is very well made. 

This is the most serious "Godzilla" movie since 1954- the power of the original movie is that it uses fantasy to deal with a real issue- the terror of the nuclear age.  The new film never matches that subtext but as a classic sci-fi monster movie it is very well made. 

Well, 'Gojira' is a great movie. So, if it's anything approaching that classic allegory - kudos.

If it's anything close to the children's series of 'Godzilla' movies, it wouldn't seem to have much point - there's already more than enough of those, I'd think.

I didn't think the Matthew Broderick version was that bad- just didn't like the cruel demise of Godzilla at the end. ( there is not much love here on the site for Matthew Broderick I see. Lol)

Re: the new one - it took a while to get going - but good once things started heating up. The fx were a little murky at times, but SPOILER ALERT - I loved Godzilla's triumphant return to the sea at the ending. Respect for the big dude - and if the movie's a hit - a way to bring him back!

I agree that in the new film Godzilla is given the full movie star icon treatment....the Mathew Broderick version had almsot nothing to do with the original mythology- that mutant iguana did not even look like Godzdilla- if there is a sequel to the new film I hope they bring back the other classic monster like Rodan