Sign in to follow this  
mrroberts

IMPACT (1949)

16 posts in this topic

Anyone see this low budget, but very good noir starring Brian Donlevy ?  It was on TCM this afternoon.

Yep, I've seen it, many times. TCM runs it pretty often. Lots of good twists, and Ella Raines is a favorite of mine.

Yep, I've seen it, many times. TCM runs it pretty often. Lots of good twists, and Ella Raines is a favorite of mine.

You and me both. I love Ella Raines. She made a VERY sexy cowgirl in "Tall in the Saddle" Very hot for a female co star in a "B Western in the 40's and she helt her own with the Duke...

When I  was referencing the Edmond O'Brien film D.O.A.  I came across the info that  D.O.A. and IMPACT were done by the same production company, Cardinal Pictures. They were only active for a few years and did a handful of films  (6) . I've seen THE SECOND WOMAN (Robert Young) but not the other three films. For a small independent Cardinal did nice work.

Nobody's mentioned Helen Walker as the femme fatale in this picture. She plays the part of the selfish 'grieving' wife very well. Her cat-and-mouse scenes with the inspector (Charles Coburn) are fun to watch.

Nobody's mentioned Helen Walker as the femme fatale in this picture. She plays the part of the selfish 'grieving' wife very well. Her cat-and-mouse scenes with the inspector (Charles Coburn) are fun to watch.

I haven't seen this film.   I hope TCM shows it soon.    Thanks for the tip!

Note that the film isn't listed in the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver) that I use as my noir reference guide.   I only mention this because I have a list of 'must see' noirs based on this book.    But I have updated that list by adding Impact. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen this film.   I hope TCM shows it soon.    Thanks for the tip!

Note that the film isn't listed in the book Film Noir (Ward \ Silver) that I use as my noir reference guide.   I only mention this because I have a list of 'must see' noirs based on this book.    But I have updated that list by adding Impact. 

James,

If you subscribe to Netflix, they have it on disc. TCM shows it maybe once or twice a year. Someone in this thread called it low-budget but I don't think it is. I would say it is a moderately budgeted independent film. The cast is first-rate. Lots of twists and turns and one of the best noir offerings from the late 40s.

You and me both. I love Ella Raines. She made a VERY sexy cowgirl in "Tall in the Saddle" Very hot for a female co star in a "B Western in the 40's and she helt her own with the Duke...

TALL IN THE SADDLE was very good. And why is it that John Wayne's best pictures were his "B" westerns? Another one being THE ANGEL AND THE BADMAN.

Helen Walker was hardly ever given roles worthy of her. Her best, by far, was the amoral psychotherapist in NIGHTMARE ALLEY, where she was more than a match for Tyrone Powers' con artist.

i, too, saw this flick; i thought it was very good.

however, i also believed donlevy was too old and too fat for his role.

Just got my TCM reminder e mail (hey, this function does work)  that IMPACT is on tomorrow Nov 3rd at 6pm est.  I hope someone out there who hasn't seen this film does so now, it is a good one.  Brian Donlevy was in his mid 40's  (is that too old?) and he was naturally a stocky, burly built guy so I wouldn't really consider him "fat".  He was usually playing bad guys in the movies so making him the lead character (hero and even romantic) was maybe a little stretch but must all of the leading men be Cary Grant handsome or Rita Hayworth beauties?  How about some more average, ordinary types so we all don't have to be so self conscious  about our looks?  Right in the middle of this film there is a rather realistic dramatic special effect (crash scene) that looks tons better then most of this computer generated crap we get in todays films, at least in this guy's eyes.

My wife and I went to a used book store a few nights ago and I was looking through the DVD bargain bins just to see if there were any old movies. I found a few for $2 each, including "Impact". While I am very much into older films, my wife is not. Last month I dragged her to the cinema showing of The Maltese Falcon. She is 42 and I am 50, and we were the youngest people in the theater. She didn't particularly enjoy the film.

So, when I suggested "Impact", I was not met with a lot of enthusiasm. But, I threw it into the DVD player and we watched. Of course, the movie is full of plot twists, but the other thing I noticed is the amazing scenery. Much of it was filmed in San Francisco, and you can really see some beautiful shots. I thought Brian Donlevy was very believable. I agree that Helen Walker was an excellent femme fatale. From what I've read, she was involved in a controversial car accident in which some servicemen were killed, so her roles afterwards went from leading roles to film noir types. I'm not sure how much of that is true, but her career definitely headed in that direction.

Anyway, "Impact" kept my wife's attention and she said that it was so much better than The Maltese Falcon. I don't know about that, but for $2 I have to say that it was well worth it. 

• Like 2

Impact is a "secret" classic noir movie in my opinion. If only someone would remaster the poor original print. It's so deserving of that. I would highly recommend seeing this one. Top shelf B-noir.