Sign in to follow this  
Kid Dabb

Tammy and the Bachelor (1957)

6 posts in this topic

I didn't want to trod all over ERROL23's thread, so..

I actually prefer this, the first in the film series with Debbie Reynolds. Sandra Dee is nothing to be ashamed about, either. I just prefer the hometown setting with it's warmth and coziness that accentuates Debbi Reynolds' Tammy rather than providing a mere backdrop for her performance.

It's really a shame there were no more than the three films produced (I'm discounting the fourth as a collage of TV episodes).

I agree with you, Kid. I love this movie. It turned out to be a surprise hit for Universal at the time, perhaps because of the popularity of the song. The cast is wonderful and there are many warm moments in the movie. Of course, everyone is rooting for Debbie's character because she is such a geniune human being. There is a nice relationship between Tammy and Louise Beavers that I enjoy.

Terrence.

• Like 1

Airing again on TCM in September.

In fact, this film and a sequel, TAMMY TELL ME TRUE, are both on the schedule for Sunday September 18, 2016.

• Like 2

Debbie Reynolds and Leslie Nielsen were quite a duo in "Tammy and the Bachelor".

Sandra Dee and John Gavin were quite a duo, too, in "Tammy Tell Me True".

But Sandra Dee and Peter Fonda were NOT in "Tammy and the Doctor".

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone. While I was at the TCMDb Overview page, I requested an email reminder - which may or may not be forthcoming. 

I noticed a couple of other things on these boards that haven't worked for years have been corrected - maybe the email reminders...?

• Like 1