Sign in to follow this  
Ashet

Robert Wise

6 posts in this topic

Was a little disappointed in the intro to the Haunting last night. Yes, Wise directed West Side Story and Sound of Music, by Ms. Barrymore intimated that those two movies were the genre he worked in. Not true at all. He also did the Sand Pebbles, Curse of the Cat People, The Day the Earth Stood Still, I want to Live, The Andromeda Strain, and many others. What I have always admired about Wise is how he could move between genres and make iconic movies in each genre. That didn't come out at all.

Was a little disappointed in the intro to the Haunting last night. Yes, Wise directed West Side Story and Sound of Music, by Ms. Barrymore intimated that those two movies were the genre he worked in. Not true at all. He also did the Sand Pebbles, Curse of the Cat People, The Day the Earth Stood Still, I want to Live, The Andromeda Strain, and many others. What I have always admired about Wise is how he could move between genres and make iconic movies in each genre. That didn't come out at all.

Right.  She probably didn't finish her homework-- and as a result, her knowledge of the director and his work is limited (or at least it seems that way).  She is mentioning his most famous titles, the ones everyone already knows about.  

Robert Wise, for me, is the greatest director who ever lived.  He directed more great films in more genres, than any other person.  At least to my tastes, anyway.  He did all these great films without a signature look or feel.  Just good taste.  If only he had directed even more films that could have used his skill.

• Like 1

Wise did indeed direct many genres, very skillfully, including my favorite film noir western, Blood on the Moon, and a couple of excellent war pics, The Desert Rats, and Run Silent, Run Deep.

I have seen Robert Osborne make repeated comments about Howard Hawks and the wide range of films that he directed. I thought RO might have made some comment about Wise and Hawks being of similar standing. Not to say one was better than the other , just how both did such a variety of work and always did  well.

• Like 1

Wise's body of work is remarkable, and his films so finely crafted and entertaining, yet he's always given short shrift, even by TCM, for the usual suspects.