Kid Dabb

From around the galaxy

3,795 posts in this topic

The producer of this Youtube video should send the idea of making a "Predator vs The Engineers" to Ridley Scott, John Davis and Joel Silver.  Could make for a great movie instead of rehashing the 1987 movie in a 2018 sequel.

maxresdefault.jpg

Got to admire how tenacious the people of Venice are during flooding.  Won't stop them from going about their daily routine, no sir indeed.:D

Yes, Venice might slowly be sinking into the Adriatic, but trust me here ham ol' boy. After having the pleasure to have twice in my life visited the place, I can tell you from first-hand experience that Venice is one of THE most "magical" cities I have ever wandered through.

And so, do yourself a favor and visit it before CLIMATE CHANGE/GLOBAL WARMING further contributes to its demise, dude! :P

(...you won't regret it)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hamradio said:

Heath's (Heathkit) first generation digital frequency counter and DVM (digital volt meter)

The prices are in 1969 dollars!:o

Heath_805.png

Quite a far cry from a dual channel logging DMM or dual channel o-scope which connects to a PC, about the size of a standard DMM.

Just for you Ham - In the Live Event Production world, there is a product called SMAART which uses a multichannel USB audio interface in conjunction with a PC or Mac to measure and compare a known reference audio signal with either that of an unknown loudspeaker or an unknown piece of gear.  That in turn is used to show the Delta or change which the loudspeaker or gear is imposing on the signal, which can then be accurately corrected using visual feedback as a means, in addition to auditory.

A USB input device like this for instance:

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/M-audio-device.jpg

Then here is what the output graphs might look like.  The bottom graph with two traces is the Real Time Analyzer (RTA) with Frequency versus Amplitude.  One trace would be a reference signal, and the other the test signal being measured.

The middle one looks like the Transfer Function (the coherence or phase correlation between the reference signal and the test signal, in this case I would guess coherence).

Finally the top one shows Frequency versus Time and basically works like a player piano roll.  This is a relatively newer function which I haven't used.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Smaart-graphs.png

Having shown that, here is someone from their company demonstrating a simple test scenario.  This is roughly about a 15 year old product, though speaker manufacturers, and audio and acoustics professionals have had access to more primitive forerunner systems prior to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdX2y7b8yk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hamradio said:

Well he don't have issues with parking.:lol:

car_building.png

Maybe he just didn't want to put it anywhere near those junky old cars.  I don't know...I think I'd rather deal with the conventional issues of parking, there is a better chance I'd get my car back.

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Google really knows how to take celebration to new lows.

The National Association for the Betterment of Hole Punchers are sure to ask for an apology.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

What they really need is some spackling.

The President (and presumably Council) of the National Association for the Betterment of Hole Punches will be in touch with you soon.