1 hour ago, hamradio said:

Gibraltar Intersection

36e1bc471b26750909f1c92a4d88029b.jpg

Gibraltar-Airport.jpg

:o

Gisborne Railway Line.(Tasmania)

gisborne-airport-1%25255B6%25255D.jpg?im

taz.gif

These last ones remind me of a highway overpass somewhere in the US, where the aircraft must taxi over a bridge to get to the runways.  That bridge crosses above a state route or freeway.  I don't recall which airport, but as an airline passenger, I wasn't expecting that.

Ahh found a pic and an article of one:

Is this photo of the 285 tonnes AN-225 freighter on a road bridge real or photoshopped?
https://www.quora.com/Is-this-photo-of-the-285-tonnes-AN-225-freighter-on-a-road-bridge-real-or-photoshopped

This one's actually in Columbus OH, somewhat near me, but it is newer and I never went across it by plane:
main-qimg-ac76236c0ef11c11bde19d7a0ffe79ab-c

This one is in Leipzeig Germany
main-qimg-6aa52b8bc7de3dfbd37934cf801dd52d-c

Looks like they ripped out the one I likely went across.

Project Name: O’Hare Airport Taxiway Bridge - LocationChicago, IL

Scope of WorkDemolition of the taxiway bridge structure located at O’Hare international Airport- the structure was located Airside that supported airplane traffic. Omega had a very aggressive schedule that was accomplished.
https://omega3llc.com/ohare-airport-taxiway-bridge/

• Like 1

Got to thinking about that train sharing street....

...could make for a neat Farmers Insurance commercial.

Train tailgating....seen it, covered it.  Talk to Farmer's We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two

♫ We are Farmer's Bum-pa-dum bum-bum-bum.♫

rodent1.jpg

:P

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

Got to thinking about that train sharing street....

...could make for a neat Farmers Insurance commercial.

Train tailgating....seen it, covered it.  Talk to Farmer's We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two

♫ We are Farmer's Bum-pa-dum bum-bum-bum.♫

rodent1.jpg

"Where we're going Marty, they don't have insurance."

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/back_to_the_future_christopher_lloyd.jpg

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

"Where we're going Marty, they don't have insurance."

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/back_to_the_future_christopher_lloyd.jpg

How they got that one WRONG!  LMREO!

Last photo of the sun from Voyager 1 and it's time lapse to capture the faint light from the planets.

View_of_the_Sun,_Earth_and_Venus_from_Vo

Finally came across the H bomb footage...

EXPLOSIVE

(keep your distance). :lol:

Wonder how many of the ground personal thought to themselves...No ****!!!!

Why do physicist have such bad hair? :blink:

From Youtube video Real Plutonium.

9i7jq1.jpg

Lol, the "Last Jedi" still dropping bombs like we do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC2uuiZneN3jibKPBeE9_

Bombs away.

12 hours ago, hamradio said:

Lol, the "Last Jedi" still dropping bombs like we do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC2uuiZneN3jibKPBeE9_

Bombs away.

They're supposed to be magnetic bombs iirc. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/uranus-sideways-tilt-tipped-collision-proto-planet-solar-system-a8429351.html

Uranus hit by huge object that tilted it to the side, scientists find

The violent impact might also explain why the planet is so cold

Uranus's strange climate and unusual tilt could be explained by an impact with a huge object, according to new research.

Scientists have long been puzzled over why the planet is shunted slightly over to its side. The new research could finally offer an answer, in a major collision with another object.

As well as explaining the planet's jaunty angle, the vast collision might also be the reason why Uranus came to have such freezing temperatures. And it could help us understand the mysterious exoplanets that are dotted throughout the universe and give hope for finding alien life.

Computer simulations showed that debris from the impact could have made a thin shell around the ice layer on the planet. That could have trapped the internal heat and led to the freezing conditions in the outer atmosphere, according to the research.

Most likely, the important collision happened about 4 billion years ago. Uranus probably hit a young proto-planet made of rock and ice, the researchers said.

https://jonathanturley.org/2018/06/05/junior-high-teacher-charged-criminally-after-feeding-puppy-to-snapping-turtle-in-class/

1115ast1There is an interesting (and rather disgusting) case out of Idaho where science teacher Robert Crosland is facing six months in jail after a national controversy over his feeding of a live puppy to a snapping turtle in front of students in his class at Preston Junior School. The exercise would ultimately lead to the death of both the puppy and the turtle in addition to the criminal prosecution of Crosland.

The exercise occurred on March 7th and some students were reportedly traumatized despite the reported popularity of Crosland as a teacher.  Previously, Crosland fed guinea pigs to his turtle.

The turtle was killed by state officials later as a non-native species.  Crosland was then charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty. Here is the state statute:

• Sad 1

http://rodneybrooks.com/bothersome-bystanders-and-self-driving-cars/

Bothersome Bystanders and Self Driving Cars

rodneybrooks.com/bothersome-bystanders-and-self-driving-cars/

A story on how far away self-driving cars are just came out in The Verge. It is more pessimistic than most on when we will see truly self-driving cars on our existing roads. For those of you who have read my blog posts on the unexpected consequences and the edge cases for self-driving cars or my technology adoption predictions, you will know that I too am pessimistic about when they will actually arrive. So, I tend to agree with this particular story and about the outstanding problems for AI that are pointed out by various people interviewed for the story.

BUT, there is one section that stands out for me.

Drive.AI founder Andrew Ng, a former Baidu executive and one of the industry’s most prominent boosters, argues the problem is less about building a perfect driving system than training bystanders to anticipate self-driving behavior. In other words, we can make roads safe for the cars instead of the other way around. As an example of an unpredictable case, I asked him whether he thought modern systems could handle a pedestrian on a pogo stick, even if they had never seen one before. “I think many AV teams could handle a pogo stick user in pedestrian crosswalk,” Ng told me. “Having said that, bouncing on a pogo stick in the middle of a highway would be really dangerous.”

“Rather than building AI to solve the pogo stick problem, we should partner with the government to ask people to be lawful and considerate,” he said. “Safety isn’t just about the quality of the AI technology.”

Now I really hope that Andrew didn’t say all this stuff. Really, I hope that. So let’s assume someone else actually said this. Let’s call him Professor Confused, whoever he was, just so we can reference him.

The quoted section above is right after two paragraphs about recent fatal accidents involving self-driving cars (though probably none of them should have been left unattended by the person in the driver’s seat in each case). Of the three accidents, only one involves an external person, the woman pushing a bicycle across the road in Phoenix this last March, killed by an experimental Uber vehicle driving itself.

In the first sentence Professor Confused seems to be saying that he is giving up on the promise of self-driving cars seamlessly slotting into the existing infrastructure. Now he is saying that every person, every “bystander”, is going to be responsible for changing their behavior to accommodate imperfect self-driving systems. And they are all going to have to be trained! I guess that means all of us.

Whoa!!!!

The great promise of self-driving cars has been that they will eliminate traffic deaths. Now Professor Confused is saying that they will eliminate traffic deaths as long as all humans are trained to change their behavior? What just happened?

If changing everyone’s behavior is on the table then let’s change everyone’s behavior today, right now, and eliminate the annual 35,000 fatalities on US roads, and the 1 million annual fatalities world-wide. Let’s do it today, and save all those lives.

Professor Confused suggests having the government ask people to be lawful. Excellent idea! The government should make it illegal for people to drive drunk, and then ask everyone to obey that law. That will eliminate half the deaths in the US immediately. Let’s just do that today!

Oh, wait…

I don’t know who the real Professor Confused is that the reporter spoke to. But whoever it is just completely upended the whole rationale for self-driving cars. Now the goal, according to Professor Confused, as reported here, is self-driving cars, right or wrong, über alles (so to speak). And you people who think you know how to currently get around safely on the street better beware, or those self-driving cars are licensed to kill you and it will be your own damn fault.

PS This is why the world’s relative handful of self-driving train systems have elaborate safe guards to make sure that people can never get on to the tracks. Take a look next time you are at an airport and you will see the glass wall and doors that keep you separated from the track at all times when you are on the platform. And the track does not intersect with any pedestrian or other transport route. The track is routed above and under them all. We are more likely to geo fence self-driving cars than accept poor safety from them in our human spaces.

PPS Dear Professor Confused, first rule of product management. If you need the government to coerce a change in behavior of all your potential customers in order for them to become your actual customers, then you don’t got no customers for what you are trying to sell. Hmmm. In this case I guess they are not your customers. They are just the potential literal roadkill in the self-satisfaction your actual customers will experience knowing that they have gotten just the latest gee whiz technology all for themselves.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/what-is-the-sun-made-of-and-when-will-it-die-20180705/

What Is the Sun Made Of and When Will It Die?

If and when physicists are able to pin down the metal content of the sun, that number could upend much of what we thought we knew about the evolution and life span of stars.

Like any star in its prime, the sun consists mainly of hydrogen atoms fusing two by two into helium, unleashing immense energy in the process. But it’s the sun’s tiny concentration of heavier elements, which astronomers call metals, that controls its fate. “Even a very small fraction of metals is sufficient to alter the behavior of a star completely,” explained Sunny Vagnozzi, a physicist at Stockholm University in Sweden who studies the “metallicity” of the sun. The more metallic a star, the more opaque it is (since metals absorb radiation), and how opaque it is in turn relates to its size, temperature, brightness, life span and other key properties. “Metallicity basically also tells you how the star will die,” Vagnozzi said.

But the sun’s metallicity, beyond revealing its own story, also serves as a kind of yardstick for calibrating measurements of the metallicity of all other stars, and thus the ages, temperatures and other properties of stars, galaxies and everything else. “If we change the solar yardstick, automatically it means that our understanding of the cosmos has to change,” said Martin Asplund, an astrophysicist at Australian National University. “So having an accurate knowledge of the solar chemical composition is extremely important.”

Yet, ever more precise measurements of the sun’s metallicity have raised more questions than they’ve answered. Astronomers’ inability to solve the mystery known variously as the solar metallicity, solar abundance, solar composition or solar modeling problem suggests there could be “something fundamentally wrong” with their understanding of the sun, and therefore of all stars, said Vagnozzi. “That would be huge.”

:P just silly news....

Shocking! IHOP acknowledges it faked IHOb name change

"The pancake chain has acknowledged that a name change announced last month was just a publicity stunt to promote its hamburger menu.

The company best known for its breakfasts already had burgers on the menu but had started using the IHOb name on social media, its website and for in-store promotions to draw attention to a new line of burgers made of Black Angus ground beef.

On Monday, it was back on social media, this time to promote a pancake deal tied to IHOP’s 60th birthday.

On Twitter, the company said, “That’s right, IHOP! We’d never turn our back on pancakes (except for that time we faked it to promote our new burgers).”

https://apnews.com/f6e5e9c56ae94537931f483dd837b7cc/Shocking!-IHOP-acknowledges-it-faked-IHOb-name-change?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

10 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:P just silly news....

Shocking! IHOP acknowledges it faked IHOb name change

They fake the name change???!!!!

man-having-a-heart-attack.jpg

\15-heart-symptoms-s1-older-man-receiving