Kid Dabb

From around the galaxy

4,107 posts in this topic

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24032041-900-exclusive-a-new-test-can-predict-ivf-embryos-risk-of-having-a-low-iq/

Exclusive: A new test can predict IVF embryos’ risk of having a low IQ

A new genetic test that enables people having IVF to screen out embryos likely to have a low IQ or high disease risk could soon become available in the US

THE prospect of creating intelligent designer babies has been the subject of ethical debate for decades, but we have lacked the ability to actually do it. That may now change, thanks to a new method of testing an embryo’s genes that could soon be available in some IVF clinics in the US, New Scientist can reveal.

The firm Genomic Prediction says it has developed genetic screening tests that can assess complex traits, such as the risk of some diseases and low intelligence, in IVF embryos. The tests haven’t been used yet, but the firm began talks last month with several IVF clinics to provide them to customers.

For intelligence, Genomic Prediction says that it will only offer the option of screening out embryos deemed likely to have “mental disability”. However, the same approach could in future be used to identify embryos with genes that make them more likely to have a high IQ. “I think people are going to demand that. If we don’t do it, some other company will,” says the firm’s co-founder Stephen Hsu.

For many years, it has been possible to do simpler genetic tests on embryos as part of IVF. For example, parents at risk of having a child with cystic fibrosis have the option to undergo IVF and select an embryo that doesn’t carry the gene behind the condition. It is also possible to screen for several other conditions caused by a single gene, as well as those caused by chromosomal abnormalities, such as Down’s syndrome.

However, most medical conditions are influenced by hundreds of genes, which has made it impossible to screen out embryos with a high risk of heart disease, for example, or select embryos with a low likelihood of experiencing depression. This is true for traits like intelligence too.

In recent years, it has become possible to work out a person’s likelihood for having certain conditions or traits by analysing many DNA regions at once to calculate something called a polygenic risk score (see “Predicting an embryo’s future traits“).

Some of my dreams can be compare to Churchill's description of the Soviet Union....a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.  Good luck interpreting them. :wacko:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/15/denver-flat-earth-conference/

“I’m not ashamed”: Flat Earthers find kindred spirits in a Denver convention center

The annual meeting gave people a chance to share ideas on a debunked scientific theory

Rick Hummer, an emcee at a flat Earth conference in Denver, looked into a sea of people and asked them to repeat three words.

“I’m not ashamed,” Hummer said.

The crowd eagerly responded.

“I’m not ashamed of ridicule,” they chanted. “I’m not ashamed of mockery. I’m not ashamed of insults.”

Mocked and demeaned daily by family, friends and even strangers, hundreds of flat Earthers rejoiced with like-minded folks Thursday during the second annual Flat Earth International Conference at the Crown Plaza Airport Convention Center in Denver.

The two-day conference, put on by Canada-based Kryptoz Media, was packed with presentations and debates promoting and celebrating the theory that the Earth is flat. What exactly would a flat Earth look like? Well, that was up for debate, even among this crowd.

Scientists have long since determined that the Earth is a sphere. It is not up for debate in any scientific circles.

Despite overwhelming evidence, this group doesn’t buy it. The moon landing? Suspect. The Apollo mission? Problematic.

After Hummell led his call-and-response, he introduced Rob Skiba. A popular YouTube character in the flat Earth community, Skiba pulled up a PowerPoint called “Debunking Flat Earth 101.” Then he whipped out a white lab coat.

“I have no academic credentials,” he said. “But I do have a cloak of credibility.”

The crowd cheered.

Buy a 

10 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/15/denver-flat-earth-conference/

“I’m not ashamed”: Flat Earthers find kindred spirits in a Denver convention center

The annual meeting gave people a chance to share ideas on a debunked scientific theory

Rick Hummer, an emcee at a flat Earth conference in Denver, looked into a sea of people and asked them to repeat three words.

“I’m not ashamed,” Hummer said.

The crowd eagerly responded.

“I’m not ashamed of ridicule,” they chanted. “I’m not ashamed of mockery. I’m not ashamed of insults.”

Mocked and demeaned daily by family, friends and even strangers, hundreds of flat Earthers rejoiced with like-minded folks Thursday during the second annual Flat Earth International Conference at the Crown Plaza Airport Convention Center in Denver.

The two-day conference, put on by Canada-based Kryptoz Media, was packed with presentations and debates promoting and celebrating the theory that the Earth is flat. What exactly would a flat Earth look like? Well, that was up for debate, even among this crowd.

Scientists have long since determined that the Earth is a sphere. It is not up for debate in any scientific circles.

Despite overwhelming evidence, this group doesn’t buy it. The moon landing? Suspect. The Apollo mission? Problematic.

After Hummell led his call-and-response, he introduced Rob Skiba. A popular YouTube character in the flat Earth community, Skiba pulled up a PowerPoint called “Debunking Flat Earth 101.” Then he whipped out a white lab coat.

“I have no academic credentials,” he said. “But I do have a cloak of credibility.”

The crowd cheered.

Re:

"I have no academic credentials"

You have no brains either, do the following you moron....

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Buy a 

Re:

"I have no academic credentials"

You have no brains either, do the following you moron....

Yeah but he has a white lab coat! :o Who do you believe? Science you can test yourself or a man with a lab coat? :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 1

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/11/23/noam-chomsky-turns-90-how-a-u-s-anarchist-has-more-than-survived/

Noam Chomsky Turns 90: How a U.S. Anarchist Has More Than Survived

4553054788_3dff79c83a_z.jpg

“The person who claims the legitimacy of the authority always bears the burden of justifying it. And if they can’t justify it, it’s illegitimate and should be dismantled. To tell you the truth, I don’t really understand anarchism as being much more than that.”

—Noam Chomsky

On December 7, 2018, Noam Chomsky turns 90 years old. In a 2013 Reader’s Digest poll of “The 100 Most Trusted People in America” (topped by Hollywood celebrities), Noam Chomsky, a self-described anarchist, ranked #20 (behind #19 Michelle Obama but in front of #24 Jimmy Carter). Given that anti-authoritarians throughout U.S. history have been routinely shunned, financially punished, psychopathologized, criminalized, and assassinated, Chomsky’s surviving and thriving are remarkable.

In the early 1960s, when few Americans were criticizing the U.S. government’s war in Vietnam, Chomsky was among the first to challenge and resist it. He risked prison time and the loss of an academic career in linguistics in which he had become highly esteemed for his groundbreaking contributions. For more than a half century, Chomsky has used his platform to challenge all illegitimate authorities, including the U.S. government and oppressive regimes around the world. He has voiced a consistent contempt for elite rule—for its atrocities as well as for its subversion of working-class autonomy.

While Chomsky abhors any hero worship—especially of himself—he does value what can be learned from human experiments in living. In this spirit, examining Chomsky’s life has value for anti-authoritarians seeking an understanding of how to survive.

https://futurism.com/new-groundbreaking-revelation-brings-us-closer-to-nuclear-fusion

We're one step closer to a world with limitless energy.

A Theory For Everything

Researchers from the U.S. DOE’s Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) and Princeton University may have solved the mysterysurrounding magnetic reconnection, bringing us one step closer to better solar flare prediction and (pmost notably) problems surrounding nuclear fusion containment. Ultimately, this means that nuclear fusion, and the limitless energy it could provide, may be one step closer to reality.

But to step back for a moment, magnetic reconnection is a process that occurs when magnetic field lines embedded in plasma come together, break apart, and explosively reconnect. This occurs in thin plasma sheets where electric energy is concentrated.

Reconnection.gif

The whole process is described by the Sweet-Parker model. But the theory fails to explain why magnetic reconnection seems to be moving faster than what is predicted.

The new research details a way to explain the occurrence of fast reconnection, using a phenomenon called plasmoid instability. It’s what happens when the plasma sheets start breaking into plasma “islands.”

The researchers were able to come up with a general theory of the plasmoid instability, and they say that plasmoid instability starts with a linear phase that follows Sweet-Parker, which then accelerates into an explosive phase that speeds up reconnection.

They calculated how long each of these phases occurs and the physics behind each one. In the end, they learned that the process doesn’t follow power laws, which means that decreasing instability isn’t going to impact reconnection speed in a predictable way.

Fusion Connection

The discovery is significant if you consider that magnetic reconnection powers solar flares, the northern lights, gamma-ray bursts, and other violent natural phenomena. Calculating just when reconnection speeds up in the Sun means we can predict solar flares, solar storms, and other freak space weather.

• Thanks 2

Science Has Chosen the Absolute Worst Year in History To Have Been Alive

b622e33bb4938d0263843b069d4fe848

A foreboding cloud of black ash blocks out the sun from Europe to Asia. An outbreak of bubonic plague coincides with a piercing cold snap. Crops fail. Starvation, darkness, and squalor abound.

All of these conditions were pervasive throughout the northern hemisphere in the year 536 A.D. The year was a tipping point in an era of unprecedented devastation. It was so bad that researchers are now labeling that year the worst time to be alive in the history of humankind. Or as Harvard History professor Michael McCormick told Science: "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year."

Although the origins of the black, ashen cloud were previously a mystery, a new paper published in the journal Antiquities indicates that a massive volcanic eruption in Iceland triggered the 18 months of darkness. Two more eruptions in the years 540 and 547 would compound the cloud.

The ash blocked out the sun, ushering forth frigid temperatures that blighted crops, resulting in starvation. Adding to the gloom, an outbreak of bubonic plague spread throughout the Eastern Roman Empire in 542 A.D., killing droves and giving way to an economic downturn that lasted 30 years.

The study-co-authored by McCormick, Nottingham University history professor Christopher Loveluck, and glaciologist Paul Mayewski at the Climate Change Institute of The University of Maine in Orono-measured ice samples in the Swiss Alps for evidence of pollutants and atmospheric change that could potentially shed light on the dark cloud's origins. While conducting the study, researchers discovered lead pollutants in the ice, created by the surge of volcanic activity.

Ironically, historians believe these pollutants sparked the European economy's revival, pulling it out of the deep, depressing chasm around 100 years later. Lead was crucial in the production of silver, which eventually spurred an economic resurgence as the sky cleared and the pestilence waned. As Loveluck told CNN: "There is evidence of total economic transformation between 640 and 660."

So count your blessings. We've got nothing approaching that cataclysmic level of abject despair. At least, not yet.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/science-chosen-absolute-worst-history-140000038.html

• Thanks 1

That sounds like the Hard to Be a God movie but in real life. 

IMAGE-1-1-750x400.jpg

Maybe it was a good year to be alive if you like volcanoes and plagues. :wacko: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Science Has Chosen the Absolute Worst Year in History To Have Been Alive

b622e33bb4938d0263843b069d4fe848

A foreboding cloud of black ash blocks out the sun from Europe to Asia. An outbreak of bubonic plague coincides with a piercing cold snap. Crops fail. Starvation, darkness, and squalor abound.

All of these conditions were pervasive throughout the northern hemisphere in the year 536 A.D. The year was a tipping point in an era of unprecedented devastation. It was so bad that researchers are now labeling that year the worst time to be alive in the history of humankind. Or as Harvard History professor Michael McCormick told Science: "It was the beginning of one of the worst periods to be alive, if not the worst year."

Although the origins of the black, ashen cloud were previously a mystery, a new paper published in the journal Antiquities indicates that a massive volcanic eruption in Iceland triggered the 18 months of darkness. Two more eruptions in the years 540 and 547 would compound the cloud.

The ash blocked out the sun, ushering forth frigid temperatures that blighted crops, resulting in starvation. Adding to the gloom, an outbreak of bubonic plague spread throughout the Eastern Roman Empire in 542 A.D., killing droves and giving way to an economic downturn that lasted 30 years.

The study-co-authored by McCormick, Nottingham University history professor Christopher Loveluck, and glaciologist Paul Mayewski at the Climate Change Institute of The University of Maine in Orono-measured ice samples in the Swiss Alps for evidence of pollutants and atmospheric change that could potentially shed light on the dark cloud's origins. While conducting the study, researchers discovered lead pollutants in the ice, created by the surge of volcanic activity.

Ironically, historians believe these pollutants sparked the European economy's revival, pulling it out of the deep, depressing chasm around 100 years later. Lead was crucial in the production of silver, which eventually spurred an economic resurgence as the sky cleared and the pestilence waned. As Loveluck told CNN: "There is evidence of total economic transformation between 640 and 660."

So count your blessings. We've got nothing approaching that cataclysmic level of abject despair. At least, not yet.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/science-chosen-absolute-worst-history-140000038.html

This type of natural devastation can happen again.  It's not an if but when!

9 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The Face Of Queen Nefertiti?

http://www.ancientpages.com/2018/02/12/face-queen-nefertiti-3-d-facial-reconstruction-egyptian-queen-sparks-controversy/

nefetitifacialreconst.jpg

Thank you Elizabeth Danes who brought Nefertiti to life whom those in the past try to make her disappear from history. You are gifted beyond words.

Josh Gates is one of my favorite TV hosts! I love watching his shows.