Kid Dabb

From around the galaxy

3,795 posts in this topic

I awoke this morning at 3 AM to an episode of Route 66 : "A Month of Sundays" with Anne Francis

Pretty cool. In all these years I hadn't seen this one. This TV series has a great, Award winning theme song - catchy tune that did well on the charts. I enjoyed everything except the part where I couldn't fall back asleep.

I had another TIA incident and spent the last four and 1/2 days in a different hospital this time.  TV s u c k s in the hospital.  No TCM or COZI or METV.  No guide to let you know what's on when.  Bleccchhh!

Gotta find your own way to be entertained.  Mine was dry humor with the nurses, which many don't understand.  For example, often through the night, when you're trying to sleep, they come in with a little portable BP tester and say, "I'm here to take your "vitals".  I know what they mean, but couldn't resist....."Y'know, when you say that..."take my vitals", it sounds like it means I'm going to be castrated."  Some laugh, others look corn-fused.  Like I said in another thread, after hearing of Johnny Winter's death and being in the hospital again, I had to take the edge off somehow, so why not have some fun with it if possible?  Like my telling one nurse if the hospital has a chapel, I'd like to go there sometime .  Not to pray for me, I'm willing to take the blame for my condition, but I would like to pray that God has a special corner in Hell for whoever designed these friggin' gowns.

Sepiatone

As far back as I can remember, since I've been watching classic films, I have always had that same sense of humor. I (still) often make references to many comedy routines, one liners and, what are in our little world here at TCM, straight lines that are famous. Most of the time I get the same results as you have described: blank stares; looks of corn-fusion; no response.. Even from many people as old or older than myself of whom I would wonder how could they not be familiar with all these classic film stars of their time. Where are all the people of that generation who were film fans? Hard to find, I tell ya.

And, to further illustrate this lack of responsiveness, many people from the Depression Era whom I have dealt with over the years seem to be completely unaware of the great Dust Bowl of the "dirty thirties".

I'm left to wonder; where were all these people and what were they really doing (or not) during this period.

As far back as I can remember, since I've been watching classic films, I have always had that same sense of humor. I (still) often make references to many comedy routines, one liners and, what are in our little world here at TCM, straight lines that are famous. Most of the time I get the same results as you have described: blank stares; looks of corn-fusion; no response.. Even from many people as old or older than myself of whom I would wonder how could they not be familiar with all these classic film stars of their time. Where are all the people of that generation who were film fans? Hard to find, I tell ya.

And, to further illustrate this lack of responsiveness, many people from the Depression Era whom I have dealt with over the years seem to be completely unaware of the great Dust Bowl of the "dirty thirties".

I'm left to wonder; where were all these people and what were they really doing (or not) during this period.

Funny you mentioned Anne Francis;  Two weeks ago I was out with a friend of hers,  Gloria Fickling,  who wrote the Honey West books with her husband.    We meet other people in their age group.    We often talk about how it was during the 50s and 60s and 'old' movies come into play.     Well they were surprised by how much knowledge I had related to 'old' movies and I was surprised by their lack of knowledge.     Sometime they would mention that they saw movie X when it came out but they haven't seen the film in over 30 years or so.     Some where aware of TCM but with comments like "I always say I should check TCM out since I love those 'old' movies,  but I never get around to it'!

So what they were doing 'during this period' was going to the movies but if one hasn't seen a movie in over 30 years one tends to forget what the movie was about.

I had another TIA incident and spent the last four and 1/2 days in a different hospital this time.  TV s u c k s in the hospital.  No TCM or COZI or METV.  No guide to let you know what's on when.  Bleccchhh!

Gotta find your own way to be entertained.  Mine was dry humor with the nurses, which many don't understand.  For example, often through the night, when you're trying to sleep, they come in with a little portable BP tester and say, "I'm here to take your "vitals".  I know what they mean, but couldn't resist....."Y'know, when you say that..."take my vitals", it sounds like it means I'm going to be castrated."  Some laugh, others look corn-fused.  Like I said in another thread, after hearing of Johnny Winter's death and being in the hospital again, I had to take the edge off somehow, so why not have some fun with it if possible?  Like my telling one nurse if the hospital has a chapel, I'd like to go there sometime .  Not to pray for me, I'm willing to take the blame for my condition, but I would like to pray that God has a special corner in Hell for whoever designed these friggin' gowns.

Sepiatone

When I was laid up for three months in a rehab center with my lower leg in an external fixator (google images for foot external fixator and close your eyes), I had only AMC and it wasn't showing anything but Island in the Sky (1953) and The High and the Mighty (1954). Not only two films no other channel would touch with a ten foot pole (at the time), but they played them virtually back-to-back for nearly the whole three months I was there. I had already surrendered my Social Security and Driver's License numbers, so there wasn't much in the way of "blood" left to be squeezed outta me. Yet.. they continued to show these films.

Waterboarding may have been preferable. 

Funny you mentioned Anne Francis;  Two weeks ago I was out with a friend of hers,  Gloria Fickling,  who wrote the Honey West books with her husband.    We meet other people in their age group.    We often talk about how it was during the 50s and 60s and 'old' movies come into play.     Well they were surprised by how much knowledge I had related to 'old' movies and I was surprised by their lack of knowledge.     Sometime they would mention that they saw movie X when it came out but they haven't seen the film in over 30 years or so.     Some where aware of TCM but with comments like "I always say I should check TCM out since I love those 'old' movies,  but I never get around to it'!

So what they were doing 'during this period' was going to the movies but if one hasn't seen a movie in over 30 years one tends to forget what the movie was about.

That's amazing, james. I am genuinely impressed with your association with Gloria Fickling. Honey West along with 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye and Peter Gunn were all favorites. I guess our classic films didn't have the magic for those who grew up along side them. They were just.. movies. Like most of our current offerings probably are to most of us - I suppose.

I also suppose Gloria and Forest were (are) highly focused in their works and can't really be blamed for not sharing a deeper interest in films of that period. Much like reading a classic novel in grade seven, remembering only bits and pieces of it years later - not having re-read it.

That's amazing, james. I am genuinely impressed with your association with Gloria Fickling. Honey West along with 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye and Peter Gunn were all favorites. I guess our classic films didn't have the magic for those who grew up along side them. They were just.. movies. Like most of our current offerings probably are to most of us - I suppose.

I also suppose Gloria and Forest were (are) highly focused in their works and can't really be blamed for not sharing a deeper interest in films of that period. Much like reading a classic novel in grade seven, remembering only bits and pieces of it years later - not having re-read it.

Gloria is trying to get a Honey West movie made.   She had a deal with a major studio but they can't agree on the screenplay.   The studio has a fresh screenplay but Gloria insist they use on of their old screenplays or at least if a new one is written it is based on one or more of the books.     This has been going on for years.    

I see her around once a month.    In the town of Laguna Beach she is a local icon.  

Gloria is trying to get a Honey West movie made.   She had a deal with a major studio but they can't agree on the screenplay.   The studio has a fresh screenplay but Gloria insist they use on of their old screenplays or at least if a new one is written it is based on one or more of the books.     This has been going on for years.    

I see her around once a month.    In the town of Laguna Beach she is a local icon.  

I think this would be a perfect vehicle for some lucky, young actress in today's Hollywood - the way I'm sure Gloria is thinking of it, anyway.

I think this would be a perfect vehicle for some lucky, young actress in today's Hollywood - the way I'm sure Gloria is thinking of it, anyway.

When the movie idea was first planned about 10 years ago Resse Witherspoon was the first choice.   But by the time this movie gets made it will have to be her daughter!

When the movie idea was first planned about 10 years ago Resse Witherspoon was the first choice.   But by the time this movie gets made it will have to be her daughter!

:lol:

I really liked her in Legally Blonde (2001), which is the only film of hers I have seen beginning to end - I must admit. Based on that, I think she would have been a good choice. I usually don't go for that type of film, but her character was portrayed well enough to hold my attention. Perhaps me being a huge Raymond Burr-Perry Mason series fan also helped. I cannot resist court scenes where the bad guy (or gal) gets it in the end. Surprise! You are the murderer!

:lol:

After seeing Bullitt for the 73rd time (this year on TCM), I find myself wishing they had made a western based on this same story.

..oh. Wait a minute. They already made 1068 of those. Never mind.

FOR KID___DABB:

My brother in law( one of 'em) busted up his leg some years back and had to wear one of them external fixators.  Yeah know they're very uncomfortable, and Earl said although they help the leg to heal "correctly", they do nothing to alleviate the pain.  But he seemed good natured about all the jokes:  "Hey, Earl.....can you pick up Russian radio waves with that thing?"/ " If we wire it to the back of the TV, will we get signals from Venus?"/ "Will it act as a sattelite dish?"

Sepiatone

• Like 1

FOR KID___DABB:

My brother in law( one of 'em) busted up his leg some years back and had to wear one of them external fixators.  Yeah know they're very uncomfortable, and Earl said although they help the leg to heal "correctly", they do nothing to alleviate the pain.  But he seemed good natured about all the jokes:  "Hey, Earl.....can you pick up Russian radio waves with that thing?"/ " If we wire it to the back of the TV, will we get signals from Venus?"/ "Will it act as a sattelite dish?"

Sepiatone

I am just sooOOoo glad they put me to sleep when they installed it and removed it. If I had awakened to see my doctor doing his "This Old House" thing on my foot with a B&D cordless drill, there's no telling what I would have done.

• Like 1

"Where shall we go for dinner tonight, dear?"

The other day I was at a local homeless shelter and their kitchen was throwing out some outdated foodstuffs, one being gallon containers of steak glazing sauce donated by a local well known chain restaurant - expiration dates had long expired. On the way to their dumpster, one bottle fell off the cart and exploded onto the asphalt parking lot. This was left there for several hours until there was time to return and hose it down.

After the mess was hosed off into a nearby drain and the sun had dried it all up, you can see where it had literally eaten into the asphalt. There is now an extremely clean blotch in the middle of the lot. It was etched.

Just something to think about as you're biting down on that sumptuous piece of filet mignon at your next outing.

With all the conversation in another thread down here concerning internet connections and construction...

The house I was in back in Maryland was in a well established (then suburban) community developed during WWII just north of the Beltway (Interstate 495). About 16 years ago, I began to notice more than a few homes with backhoes digging up their front yards. Upon speaking to some of the more important looking individuals involved in these projects, I discovered there was a rash of water pipes failing for a variety of reasons. The root cause was surprising.

As these homes were constructed during WWII amidst all of it's shortages of resources (chiefly metals), many of the underground water pipes were constructed of compressed paper.. PAPER! These had held up well into the late 1990s before being eaten away by moisture and roots and whatever else could affix itself to their innards over the years.

..PAPER!

Amazing

The future is here.. almost..well.. around the corner, anyway..

Scientists Report Finding Reliable Way to Teleport Data

Scientists in the Netherlands have moved a step closer to overriding one of Albert Einstein’s most famous objections to the implications of quantum mechanics, which he described as “spooky action at a distance.”

In a paper published on Thursday in the journal Science, physicists at the Kavli Institute of Nanoscience at the Delft University of Technology reported that they were able to reliably teleport information between two quantum bits separated by three meters, or about 10 feet.

Quantum teleportation is not the “Star Trek”-style movement of people or things; rather, it involves transferring so-called quantum information — in this case what is known as the spin state of an electron — from one place to another without moving the physical matter to which the information is attached.

Classical bits, the basic units of information in computing, can have only one of two values — either 0 or 1. But quantum bits, or qubits, can simultaneously describe many values. They hold out both the possibility of a new generation of faster computing systems and the ability to create completely secure communication networks. Moreover, the scientists are now closer to definitively proving Einstein wrong in his early disbelief in the notion of entanglement, in which particles separated by light-years can still appear to remain connected, with the state of one particle instantaneously affecting the state of another.

They report that they have achieved perfectly accurate teleportation of quantum information over short distances. They are now seeking to repeat their experiment over the distance of more than a kilometer. If they are able to repeatedly show that entanglement works at this distance, it will be a definitive demonstration of the entanglement phenomenon and quantum mechanical theory.

Succeeding at greater distances will offer an affirmative solution to a thought experiment known as Bell’s theorem, proposed in 1964 by the Irish physicist John Stewart Bell as a method for determining whether particles connected via quantum entanglement communicate information faster than the speed of light.

“There is a big race going on between five or six groups to prove Einstein wrong,” said Ronald Hanson, a physicist who leads the group at Delft. “There is one very big fish.” In the past, scientists have made halting gains in teleporting quantum information, a feat that is achieved by forcing physically separated quantum bits into an entangled state. But reliability of quantum teleportation has been elusive. For example, in 2009, University of Maryland physicists demonstrated the transfer of quantum information, but only one of every 100 million attempts succeeded, meaning that transferring a single bit of quantum information required roughly 10 minutes.

In contrast, the scientists at Delft have achieved the ability “deterministically,” meaning they can now teleport the quantum state of two entangled electrons accurately 100 percent of the time. They did so by producing qubits using electrons trapped in diamonds at extremely low temperatures. According to Dr. Hanson, the diamonds effectively create “miniprisons” in which the electrons were held. The researchers were able to establish a spin, or value, for electrons, and then read the value reliably. In addition to the possibility of an impregnable quantum Internet, the research holds out the possibility of networks of quantum computers.

To date, practical quantum computers, which could solve certain classes of problems far more quickly than even the most powerful computers now in use, remain a distant goal. A functional quantum computer would need to entangle a large number of qubits and maintain that entangled state for relatively long periods, something that has so far not been achieved.

A distributed quantum network might also offer new forms of privacy, Dr. Hanson suggested. Such a network would make it possible for a remote user to perform a quantum calculation on a server, while at the same time making it impossible for the operator of the server to determine the nature of the calculation.

The quantum computer is part of the plot of the TV series "Alien Encounters - The Entanglement.  They built one called Quincy and it learned at an explosive level, mainly after linking with alien hybrid children.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/10/human-alien-hybrids-quantum-computer_n_5481476.html

The technology came from this craft that blew itself into bits.

136312446408313999800101197_202Hybrid.jp

I thought hamradio might get a kick out of this. Ham's been missing since May 14.. jamesjazz since April 20..  OMG! One of us is next! It's the 62 Little Indians scenario. I guess I'll have to start sleeping with my eyes open. Well, ham.. maybe you're out there in read-only mode and can still enjoy this link.

CLICK HERE

I forgot to reply to your OP, the only practical item is the Linskys Router. Since my broadband is only 15 MBPS, it would do nicely.  Believe it or not Amazon.com  still sells it. LOL!

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1408166981&sr=1-1&keywords=Linksys+WRT54G

Somewhere on these boards, several people have mentioned their sound would go out of synch with the video while watching TCM - possibly other channels. I have discovered a possible solution for this.

This may only apply to Samsung LCD/LED HDTVs or it may apply to other brands as well - I only know about the 2 Samsung's I use.

When this occurs, flip the channel back and forth 1 time. This lets the signal be recaptured and fully synchronizes it again. This won't offer much relief to those recording at the time, but it will clear the problem.

My cable provider's signal often fluctuates, sometimes returning the video and audio as unsynchronized. The proprietary electronics and/or programming of Samsung's TVs seem to have difficulty synching audio and video after the set has warmed up - I haven't noticed this at all when the TV is first turned on.

Well, I have used this remedy about 30 times now and it has reset it perfectly each time. So there you go - have at it!

:)

As I was winding down my day this evening, I passed a friend who is from Russia (I don't know what region). I felt pretty good and said "Good evening" as I approached. He returned the gesture and I asked him how to say this in Russian. He pronounced it and I am repeating it over and over in an attempt to fix it in my brain. Phonetically, it is "Dobryy vecher".. kind of..

To me, it sounds more like "Dobrray (roll the r's) vēcher" (long e - or two e's).

Either way, I am now saying "Good evening" to everyone in Russian. Next, I will work on, "May I have your french fries?".