9 posts in this topic

I'm unable to watch live or on-demand movies.  It worked perfectly before but suddenly is broken in all the browsers I have and three different computers.  Mac or Windows.  No dice.

I do the Charter log-in and the "Powered by Charter" logo pops up normally but the video never loads.  After a while, a dialog opens that says "<not authorized>".  For anybody in the know, it appears to be a stock jQuery UI message box. 

After reporting this a few times via the contact TCM page and getting no reply, I thought I'd try here.  Charter, naturally, is no help either.  Incidentally, I use the same Charter sign-in to watch ESPN content, which works perfectly, as do other streaming sites.

TCM is my favorite channel of all time.  I like this new feature a lot and I can't be the only one having problems. 

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks

Suddenly, today, it worked.  It's a mystery.  I couldn't get it to work from the main page but for some bizarre reason, when I accidentally clicked a movie on the Watch Now page, it just started playing.  After a month it works.  I never changed anything.  Maybe somebody is fiddling with stuff behind the scenes. 

Now, one day later, it doesn't work. 

This is really getting frustrating. Here's a NEW error message, which looks like a jQuery message box. It appeared AFTER I watched The Year of Living Dangerously.

The message is not true because we do have TCM on cable. 

Hey, guys, this is a mess.  If any moderators or somebody from TCM could just acknowledge that somebody is aware of this problem or could suggest a solution or knows what's going on, please say something.

post-42170-0-86781000-1401557681_thumb.png

post-42170-0-86781000-1401557681_thumb.png

Hi okmores,

Our tech team looked into this and here is their response:

"After further review, this appears to work fine and believe this is a user authentication issue. 

When I logged in using our out-of-date Charter creds, I got the same experience as the user. 

I know the user said they already contacted Charter which wasn’t any use but our team only offered this suggestion, which I’m not sure will be much help either:

We do not deal with individual user problems with authorization unless the user is willing to provide his or her account login information and a phone number where he or she can be reached. We then pass that information on to the distributor.

Since I found this to be a login credential issue, my recommendation to the user would be to confirm that they’re using credentials that are correct based on their current account.  My guess is it may be possible that they could’ve registered for Charter’s online account multiple times and the creds that they’re using may be linked to an older version of their account.  This is just a guess."

We hope this helps!

"After further review, this appears to work fine and believe this is a user authentication issue.

Thanks for your reply!

I appreciate your looking into this.  I assure you, however, I have double and triple-checked my accounts, passwords and anything else I can think of.  I have emptied caches, updated browsers, turned off (and on) all plugins and verified that pop-ups are not blocked, that cookies are enabled and tried with both Macs and PCs.

There could possibly be some quirk on my system but I'm at a loss to figure out why it works seamlessly with ESPN and other streaming content that use the same (or similar) protocols and I'm reasonably sure there's a glitch somewhere between Charter and TCM. 

For example, I was able to watch a movie by signing into Charter's site and linking to the TCM live streaming content from there.  But only the live content worked.  The button that linked to Watch Now movies that are not live returned an error saying no content was found.

Oddly enough, I had a TCM live streaming movie running in one tab from Charter's web site (indicating I am clearly "authorized" to watch TCM content), while in another tab containing the TCM page for the same movie I had the now-familiar error dialog stating I was not authorized. I just re-created this scenario and have attached a screen shot.

The number shown in the error message is Charter's main number.  Going there and finding tech support led to a pleasant conversation with a sympathetic rep who supposed there was some problem with TCM's site because everything on Charter's end is working correctly.

I am sympathetic with the problem of tracking down such an obscure issue but I can only hope your people not take a pass without looking into this.  They can contact me directly if I can help.

Perhaps if somebody from Turner got on the phone with somebody from Charter, a solution could be found.  I'm not hopeful about this, though, because I'm sure that both of their systems are working beautifully, which makes it look like nothing is wrong. 

But take a look at the attached screenshot. There is Robert Osborn, right there before my very eyes.  I am clearly "authorized" to watch TCM content and my system is clearly able to view it without issue.  The "problem" may indeed be some obscure setting or other oddity on my system but it seems to me that it would be of interest to your (or their) coders because I've exhausted every possible remedy I can think of.  It appears that there's a issue in the handshake between Turner and Charter that I can't do anything about and I'm guessing that some smart person would just love to be the one to figure it out. 

Thanks again for your attention to this.

Standing by.

post-42170-0-64731400-1401731145_thumb.jpg

post-42170-0-64731400-1401731145_thumb.jpg

I am having the same problem- I get an error message when I try to watch anything on the TCM site - "It appears that your Charter subscription does not include TCM. To sign up for TCM and start using TCM's service, or if you believe you have received this message in error, please call 1-888-438-2427". I called the number - Charter- and was told that it's a TCM problem. I can't watch on any of our computers or on my tablet. It says I'm not authorized. I have also rebooted, enabled cookies, cleared history, etc, etc. and nothing helps. I agree with okmores, I doubt anything will be done since we are some of the few having this problem. If anyone has suggestions, please post! 

Note to the thread:  I've gotten a PM from TCM (Thanks!) and they're looking into this.  Hopefully it's something simple and somebody will have an answer.

I am having a similar problem using Cable ONE.  It has been intermittent before but last night it would never work and today it still doesn't work on my PC.  I can log in with my tablet though.  I also gave my log-in info to a Cable ONE tech support and it worked for him.  So what could be wrong with my PC that I can't log in?  I have tried three different browsers.