SansFin

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #26 - FRESH AND NEW!

116 posts in this topic

This new forum software is quite wonderful but it does have the quirk that many long posts on a page of a thread may cause an error message because the request times out.

I am because of that breaking the presentation of information for this Challenge into three separate posts:

1) The Basics

2) Useful General Information

3) Specific Requirements for TCM Programming Challenge #26.

I thank all for their patience and understanding.

The Basics

Path40a created the first TCM Programming Challenge in February, 2006 to direct posters' energy into positive experiences. The challenge has endured because it allows entrants to exercise their imagination, display their knowledge, and introduce rare classics.

TCM Programming Challenges are neither sponsored by nor endorsed by TCM but tcmprogrammr has stated that they happily steal ideas from these schedules. Many entrants have had the joy of seeing their themes and movie selections air on TCM. 

The Challenge is to create a week's schedule following TCM's standard format. 

Everyone is welcome to create and post a schedule!

To Enter:

Create a schedule which begins at 6:00 A.M. (ET) Sunday and ends at 6:00 A.M. (ET) the following Sunday.

Each day's programming should begin at 6:00 A.M. (ET).

Primetime/Evening must begin at 8:00 P.M. (ET). 

Feature movies must start on the hour, quarter-hour, half-hour and three-quarters-hour.

These regular TCM features must be included:

a) Star of the Month - four movies on one evening to showcase an actor. The star must have a body of work large enough to allow similar blocks the other weeks in the month.

B) Silent Sunday Nights - a silent movie which begins at approximately 12:00 A.M. (ET) Sunday night / Monday morning. 

c) TCM Imports - a foreign movie which begins at approximately 2 A.M. (ET) Monday.

d) Friday Night Spotlight - a group of four movies on Friday night to showcase a theme which spans all of the Friday nights of the month. 

e) The Essentials - an indispensable classic movie which begins at 8:00 P.M. (ET) Saturday.

f) TCM Underground - a little-known or cult film which begins at approximately 2 A.M. (ET) Saturday.

Silent Sunday Nights, TCM Imports and TCM Underground are exempt from the limit of premieres stated in the requirements for this Challenge.

You may include a Guest Programmer but you are not required to do so.

Please show the time, title, year, actor(s), director(s), studio, running time, and any necessary justification.

Sample: 

4:45 PM The Challenge (1950) Lionel Barrymore, Asta, Ricky the Wonder Llama. Dir: Hal Lewton and Otto Preminger. Never-Never-Again Films, 3.141 mins., Premiere #32.

Running times and studio information may be found in the TCM database or at IMDB.com. 

Justifications:

No notation is needed for any movie in the original Turner library.

"P/S" for movies  or programs which have been previously shown on TCM.

"E" or "Exempt" for Silent Sunday Night, TCM Import, or TCM Underground movies.

"Public Domain" for movies in the public domain. The initials "P" and "D" are not acceptable because the forum software believes it to be a dirty word and asterisks it. 

"P #x" or "Premiere #x" for movies which count towards the Challenge allowance on premieres.

The original Turner library consisted of: Warner Bros (pre-1948 only), MGM (pre-1986 only) and RKO (all). 

Disney-created animated movies are never allowed because Disney will not license them to TCM. 

Disney live action movies are allowed as previously-shown or as premieres.

Animated movies created by other studios and whose rights were later acquired by Disney are allowed as previously-shown or as premieres.

All other theatrical movies are allowed as premieres.

Short films or other material should fill in between movies so that there is never more than fourteen minutes of non-scheduled time between feature movies.

Please do not include links, images, emoticons or other codes as that will slow page loading and may cause error messages.

Please use the standard font, font size and font color when posting. Other fonts, sizes and colors are distracting. Many find them much harder to read.

Programming Notes to explain themes or motives or to provide additional information on selected movies are greatly encouraged. This should be a separate post following the schedule entry.

Important Note on Formatting:

The old software accepted asterisks and plus signs to indicate words in bold or italics.

This new software does not.

Those who are composing their schedules on word processors will have to use [b ] to indicate the beginning of bolding and [/b ] to indicate the end of bolding. I had to insert a space between the "b" and the closing bracket so as to demonstrate their use while not having the software recognize them as formatting commands. [b ]Words to be bolded[/b ] becomes Words to be bolded when the spaces which I placed inside the brackets are removed. Italics are formed in the same manner by substituting an "i" for the "b" within the brackets.

It is very important also that there be a space after the second command.

Useful General Information

Movies in the original Turner library are: 

Warner Bros (pre-1948 only): 

MGM (pre-1986 only): 

RKO (all): 

Movies in the Public Domain are:

Please consider this list authoritative but not definitive. Any movie in the list is Public Domain but movies not on the list may also be Public Domain.

The most commonly used libraries are:

Disney live action movies:

Columbia Pictures 

United Artists

Samuel Goldwyn 

J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors: 

20th Century Fox:

Paramount Pictures

Universal Pictures

British Gaumont Pictures:

Mosfilm

Previous Challenges can be reviewed in the archive:

A list of previous Star of the Month and Summer Under the Stars honorees can be found at:

To tell if a movie has been previously shown on TCM:

The TCM site has programming notes for many movies which have aired. They may be found by entering the movie's title into the search bar on the TCM forum homepage and selecting the "Site" button. 

The TCM site also has articles for many movies which have been shown. These may be found by entering the movie's title into the search bar, selecting the "Movie Database" button, and selecting the appropriate movie from the list. "Articles" in the list of links at the left side of the screen will be in bold font and can be selected if an article is available for that movie.

A movie has definitely been shown if programming notes or an article are available for a movie.

This method is not infallible. Some movies which have been shown on TCM have no accompanying programming notes or article. 

Please ask if you need help. Some of us have other sources that we can check.

Requirements for TCM Programming Challenge #26

This challenge opens at 12:01 A.M. ET, Sunday, June 1, 2014 and runs through 12:01 A.M. PT, Tuesday, July 1, 2014. A voting thread will be started shortly after the end of the challenge.

The week chosen must be between June 29, 2014 and August 2, 2015. 

You may use up to 10 premieres in this challenge. 

Short films do not count toward the limit on premieres when used to fill up to 15 minutes between feature films. 

Required Theme:

The recently introduced software for the TCM Forums has been as an opening to a new world. Gone are most all of the limitations and glitches of the old software which hampered discussions, created barriers and were very user-unfriendly.

I wish to celebrate this by making new beginnings the theme of this Challenge!

You are to create an evening schedule of at least four movies in which the characters experience a new way of life. It can be explorers penetrating the wilderness, pioneers busting sod, astronauts setting foot on another planet. It can be newlyweds moving into their first home, immigrants finding permanent refuge, orphans being adopted. It can be kings cast into dank prisons, peasants gaining a throne, politicians becoming honest men. Or any other thing which shows characters entering a world new to them.

All I ask is that the four movies be of a kind. Great Expectations (1934), The Muppets Take Manhattan (1984), La Femme Nikita (1990) and 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) all fit the theme but they do not fit with each other. If I Were King (1938), Trading Places (1983), The Count of Monte Cristo (1934) and The Hudsucker Proxy (1994) do fit together as they all show a person who had no power moving into a position with great power.

Options:

Consider packaging some of your choices within one these optional themes if you need more premieres:

1) One evening of at least four movies from a country which has little representation on TCM. The first four movies may carry: "C-SP Exempt" status and will not count against the limit of premieres. One extra "C-SP Exempt" may be used if there are two additional Premieres.

These movies must be feature-length movies from any one country except: U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden. Movies are allowable based upon place rather than exact country names or borders in changing environments.  

The movies must not have been made by directors with a substantial body of work in U.S.A., Canada, Great Britain, Japan, France or Sweden prior to the making of the movies.

2) One evening of at least four movies to represent the taste of a fictional Guest Programmer. Two of these movies may carry: "GP Exempt" status and will not count against the limit of premieres. 

This may be a figure from literature or folklore or be a character in a movie. 

You may not use this option if you have included a regular Guest Programmer. 

Please Note: These two themes are optional. You may use one or both but you are not required to do so.

TCM Programming Challenge #26 - Fresh and New! is now open!

I expect truly extraordinary schedules! Please do not fail me! 

I hope all will ask questions if any part of the process is not clear.

The Challenge is open! Commence hair-pulling!

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about this one, especially the foreign film challenge. I'm glad we got a heads up on that one because it took some doing to research other films from the country I chose.

I am very happy that you will be bringing us one of your excellent schedules! 

I hope that you found exploring the cinema of the country enjoyable. I believe that there are many wonderful movies which we will never find if we look only in the usual places.

Now we need only ninety-nine other entrants ...

Sounds good. I will have to start outlining what themes/people/etc I want to highlight to fit the requirements and then pick other mini themes for filling in the other time. I guess the first step for me will be deciding a timeframe.

I like the overall theme of new beginnings and I like the optional requirement of having a fictional character serving as guest programmer.

I am very happy that you will be joining in again! Your first schedule was wonderful.

I have read that some people select a week and then find things associated with that week and other people select actors for whom they wish to make birthday tribute and select the week in that way. I have used both methods depending on nature of my themes.

We now have two participants! 

Will any more be playing?

Sansfin, I think I'll be able to come up with a schedule.  I need to put my thinking cap on but I am excited about the optional challenge of the "foreign films".  I think I may have something in mind already.

Sansfin, I think I'll be able to come up with a schedule.  I need to put my thinking cap on but I am excited about the optional challenge of the "foreign films".  I think I may have something in mind already.

This is quite wonderful news! I have missed your schedules!

I hope you will ask for help if you have any difficulty with that option. 

This is stupendous!

We now have four victims entrants who are known for their wonderful schedules!

I believe this will be a glorious Challenge! 

Yes, it was fun researching the films from my chosen country. I discovered quite a few I'd love to see. I hope TCM picks up on a lot of our choices. Actually the part of the challenge that was out of my comfort zone wasn't the foreign film thing, but scheduling TWO movies from the 1990s. It better be worth it!

I'm glad to see more people are planning to participate.  I like reading the schedules as some of them have given me ideas on movies to look out for on TCM or movies to rent on Netflix. 

So far, I've chosen a timeframe, star of the month, and a Friday Night Spotlight.  I've got my required "new way of life" idea; but I can only think of two movies so far that fit.  I'll have to keep thinking/researching on that one. 

I'm also trying to come up with my fictional guest programmer-- someone who I feel I know well enough to gauge what types of films they'd choose. 

I look forward to seeing everyone's entries.

Yes, it was fun researching the films from my chosen country. I discovered quite a few I'd love to see. I hope TCM picks up on a lot of our choices. Actually the part of the challenge that was out of my comfort zone wasn't the foreign film thing, but scheduling TWO movies from the 1990s. It better be worth it!

I hope also that it will nudge TCM's programmers to look beyond their usual sources.

I am surprised that your chosen country does not have a deeper history. It has been my experience that most countries have long produced movies locally. The number of movies is usually not as great as for more popular countries but they make up for it with wonderful niche movies.

We have to start every day at 6:00 AM?

The schedule must begin precisely at: 6:00 A.M. (ET) and must end precisely at: 6:00 A.M. (ET). Most other days should begin at: 6:00 A.M. (ET) because 6:00 A.M. to 6:00 A.M. is a standard programming day in the television industry. TCM has been known to violate that stricture on occasion. I found in reviewing rules of past Challenges that it has been usual to be a requirement. I found also excellent schedules which do not adhere to it even when it was a requirement. 

I have left it as a strong guideline rather than making it a requirement because I remember well having to replace great movies with movies which were only very good because I was keeping strictly to the 6:00 A.M. requirement and the great movies would have run fifteen or thirty minutes long.

I feel it doubtful that TCM would ever lift an ordered set of movies directly with no substitutions and so I feel that presenting the best possible movies should take precedence over nit-picking.

So far, I've chosen a timeframe, star of the month, and a Friday Night Spotlight.  I've got my required "new way of life" idea; but I can only think of two movies so far that fit.  I'll have to keep thinking/researching on that one. 

I'm also trying to come up with my fictional guest programmer-- someone who I feel I know well enough to gauge what types of films they'd choose. 

The: "Advanced Search" feature at: imdb.com allows one to search within a set of years and use both keywords and words which likely appear in plot summaries. I have found it very helpful to look at the keywords of movies I have chosen and insert them into the search engine to find similar movies within the time frame I desire.

My fictional Guest Programmer was inspired by one of my fiance's schedules and affirmed by TCM having Kermit the Frog as a Guest Programmer. I nearly used it as a theme for one of my schedules when I asked: "What type of movies would Sam Spade like to watch?" I did not use it as a theme because my mind refused to stay focused and so made me wonder what movies: Asta or: The Creature from the Black Lagoon would select.

I hope also that it will nudge TCM's programmers to look beyond their usual sources.

I am surprised that your chosen country does not have a deeper history. It has been my experience that most countries have long produced movies locally. The number of movies is usually not as great as for more popular countries but they make up for it with wonderful niche movies.

Basically I chose my favorite foreign film that isn't from one of the restricted countries, then researched what else that country did. This will all become clear when my schedule is finished, but to my surprise I actually did find some silent movies and, not buckets of films, but a steady stream for the last 90ish years. I am going to schedule one from the 1930s and another from a little later that sounds interesting. The reason for the two from the 1990s is that this is the decade in which I watched new foreign language films all the time (ah, childhood in LA).

but to my surprise I actually did find some silent movies and, not buckets of films, but a steady stream for the last 90ish years. 

I must wonder if you have searched for any of them on YouTube. I have found it an advantage to search using the title in its native language first and then the title in English. There are many complete movies from many countries.

I finally did it! I put up my schedule completely!

Obrienmundy, your schedules get better and better and this one is incredible!  Several of my top favorite films: The Light that Failed; A Day in the Country; and that surrealist masterpiece, Peter Ibbetson (a welcome premiere!). Not to mention Joan Blondell and Catherine Deneuve, including the bizarre and amusing Donkey Skin. And, having done a fair amount of Polish programming myself, I applaud you for that. It's a rich tradition which would be well served on TCM.

This is an imaginative, carefully constructed, diverse week of excellent programming. Good luck!

Great schedule Obrien! I especially love the "trading places" and Ida Lupino days.  I hope that TCM takes some of your suggestions-- especially all the Looney Tunes shorts.  That would be fun.

You're already done and I'm still coming up with my ideas and haven't even started my schedule yet.

Great schedule, obrienmundy! (Because of your avatar, I keep wanting to call you Greer Garson.) Love all the foreign films and all the tributes to behind the scenes artists. I don't usually stick my head in these things but TCM has actually shown YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT (I remember because it's one of my all time favorite movies--love, love, love!). Not that it matters. :)

Great schedule, obrienmundy. You've scheduled three of my special favorites--Ashes and Diamonds, Deep Valley, and Sherlock Jr. The Ida Lupino tribute is great. I love Mme. Defarge as Guest Programmer. She does like to see people getting their heads chopped off, doesn't she?