SansFin

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #26 - FRESH AND NEW!

116 posts in this topic

Just to be clear:  if you have more than four movies from a country on foreign movie night, only four of them will be exempt from the premiere limit?

You have a very wonderful schedule, Obrienmundy!

I offer my congratulations on both being the first and for setting the standard so very high for others who are to follow.

I love very much your viewpoint on the required theme. I did very much fear that all would find it difficult to grasp my intention and would select only pioneer movies. It is wonderful that your take on it is to place the people in the life of their doppelganger! I feel this adds great dimension.

I must admit that I am surprised that you were able to find two movies for the Polish theme which were not Premieres. That is fully twice the representation on TCM which I would have suspected.

I am sorry to say that I did not relate any particular trait to: Madame Defarge other than knitting when I saw your initial placeholder post. I had to research her character. I commend you on the excellent movies you selected for her.

I hope only that others will not be afraid to enter now that they see against which they must compete.

Just to be clear:  if you have more than four movies from a country on foreign movie night, only four of them will be exempt from the premiere limit?

I knew some person would bring up this issue! I know that if I were programming a schedule for this then I would wish to fill the entire time from 8:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M. with movies of that theme. I hesitate to grant carte blanche because that would make light of one of the serious restrictions under which real schedules are created.

I amend the rule to this: "The first four movies may carry: "C-SP Exempt" status and will not count against the limit of premieres. One extra "C-SP Exempt" may be used if there are two additional Premieres."

I mean by this that if you have six Premieres for this optional theme then you may use: "C-SP Exempt" for five of them.

I believe that it need not be extended beyond that because the requirement is to be of an evening and it would be very strange to find more than six feature-length movies within the ten-hours of the evening/night hours.

I hope this is helpful. I ask that you please ask again if this does not solve your issue.

Thank you for your kindness! As for other competitors, I am sure that their schedules will be more magnificent than my own, as all of the members who participate in these challenges are masters at their craft.

It has been said that youth, intelligence and enthusiasm will never win against age and guile but I believe that all masters know that there will come a day when a young upstart will steal their thunder. 

Four days down, three to go:  I am correct in thinking TCM has never show The Small Back Room?

Four days down, three to go:  I am correct in thinking TCM has never show The Small Back Room?

I suspect that is true. I have checked all available databases for the two names of that movie and I can find no indication that it has aired.

I've got bits and pieces of my days done. 

I've got a star of the month, a couple daytime tributes, a fictional guest programmer and one theme that I came up with. 

I had a Friday Night Spotlight idea, however, based on my star of the month tribute, my fictional guest programmer and the idea I had for Friday nights, I think I'll end up with a schedule oversaturated with one genre of film-- so for the sake of diversity, I may want to come up with another Friday Night idea.

I think I've got my required theme of "new life" figured out, I've just got to re-evaluate my movies and make sure that they all share a common motif.

LP’s schedule for the TCM Programming Challenge #26: Fresh and New

Week of Nov 30, 2014-Dec 6, 2014

STAR OF THE MONTH: Anne Baxter

THE ESSENTIALS:  Metropolis (1926)

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS:

Broadway Billy (1926)

Bacon Grabbers (1929)

Super-Hooper-Dyne-Lizzies (1925)

TCM IMPORTS: Welcome Back, Mr. MacDonald! (Rajio no Jikan) (1997)

TCM UNDERGROUND: Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996)

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT/FOREIGN FILM CHALLENGE: Iranian Cinema

1. Children of Heaven (1997)
  2. Colors of Paradise (1999)
  3. Ferdowsi (1934)
  4. Shabe ghuzi (1965)

PREMIERES:

1. Catch 22 (1970)
  2. Charley’s Aunt (1941)
  3. Damn Yankees! (1958)
  4. Goodbye, Charlie (1964)
  5. Internes Can’t Take Money (1937)
  6. The Promoter (1952)
  7. Song of Scheherazade (1947)
  8. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
  9. The Ten Commandments (1956)
  10. What a Way to Go! (1964)

BREAKDOWN:

1920s- 5

1930s- 11

1940s- 28

1950s- 23

1960s- 14

1970s- 9

1980s- 2

1990s- 4

---------SUNDAY NOVEMBER 30, 2014------

THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP

6:00am The Thin Man (1934) William Powell & Myrna Loy, dir WS Van Dyke II, MGM 90min (p/s)

7:30am The Hound of the Baskervilles (1939) Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce, dir Sidney Lanfield FOX 80min (p/s) (Sherlock Holmes)

9:00am Godzilla (1954) Takashi Shumura & Akihiko Hirate, dir Ishiro Honda, Toho, 96min (p/s)

10:45am A Family Affair (1937) Lionel Barrymore & Mickey Rooney, dir George B Seitz MGM 69min (p/s) (Andy Hardy)

12:00pm Dr. No (1962) Sean Connery & Ursula Andress, fir Terence Young UA 110min (p/s) (James Bond)

2:00pm Tarzan the Ape Man (1932) Johnny Weissmuller & Maureen O’Sullivan, dir WS Van Dyke MGM 100min (p/s)

3:45pm In Old Arizona (1928) Warner Baxter & Dorothy Burgess, dir Irving Cummings FOX 95min (p/s) (The Cisco Kid)

5:30pm Frankenstein (1931) Boris Karloff & Colin Clive, dir James Whale, Universal 70min (p/s)

6:45pm Internes Can’t Take Money (1937) Barbara Stanwyck & Joel McCrea, dir Alfred Santell, Paramount 75min PREMIERE (Dr Kildare)

NOTHING LIKE LIVE RADIO

8:00pm Meet John Doe (1941) Gary Cooper & Barbara Stanwyck, dir Frank Capra, Columbia 123min (p/s)

10:15pm A Face in the Crowd (1957) Andy Griffith & Walter Matthau, dir Elia Kazan, WB, 125min (p/s)

12:30am SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS: Broadway Billy (1926) Billy Sullivan & Virginia Brown Faire, dir Harry Joe Brown, Rayart Pictures, 55min EXEMPT

1:30am SHORT: Bacon Grabbers (1929) Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy, dir Lewis R Foster, Hal Roach 20min

2:00am SHORT: Super-Hooper-Dyne-Lizzies (1925) Billy Bevan & Andy Clude, dir Del Lord, Mack Sennett 20min

2:30am TCM IMPORTS: Welcome Back, Mr. MacDonald! (Rajio no Jikan) (1997) Toshiaki Karasawa & Kyoka Suzuki, dir Koki Mitani, Toho 103min EXEMPT

4:15am Christmas in July (1940) Dick Powell & Ellen Drew, dir Preston Sturges, Paramount 67min (p/s)

-------------------MONDAY DECEMBER 1, 2014---------------------

WE’RE OFF ON THE ROAD TO MOROCCO

5:30am The Return of the Pink Panther (1975) Peter Sellers & Christopher Plummer, dir Blake Edwards UA 113min (p/s)

7:30am The Desert Song (1953) Kathryn Grayson & Gordon MacRae, dir H Bruce Humberstone WB 110min (p/s)

9:30am The Captain’s Paradise (1953) Alec Guinness & Yvonne de Carlo, dir Anthony Kimmins, London Film Prod, 94min (p/s)

11:15am Casablanca (1942) Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman, dir Michael Curtiz WB 102min (p/s)

1:00pm A Night in Casablanca (1946) Marx Brothers & Charles Drake, dir Archie Mayo UA 85min (p/s)

2:30pm The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) James Stewart & Doris Day, dir Alfred Hitchcock, Paramount 120min (p/s)

4:30pm Road to Morocco (1942) Bing Crosby & Bob Hope, dir David Butler, Paramount 82min (p/s)

6:00pm Song of Scheherazade (1947) Yvonne de Carlo & Brian Donlevy, dir Walter Reisch, Universal 105min PREMIERE

“THE BOB NEWHART SHOW” CAST REUNION

8:00pm - Bob Newhart (Dr Robert Hartley), Peter Bonerz (Jerry Robinson) & Jack Riley (Mr. Carlin) in Catch 22 (1970) dir Mike Nichols, Paramount 122min PREMIERE

10:15pm - Suzanne Pleshette (Emily Hartley) in Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) dir Burt Kennedy UA 91min (p/s)

12:00am - Bill Daily (Howard Borden) in The Barefoot Executive (1971) dir Robert Butler, DISNEY 96min (p/s)

1:45am - John Fiedler (Mr. Peterson), Noam Pitlik (Mr. Gianelli) & Merie Earle (Mrs. Loomis) in Fitzwilly (1967) dir Delbert Mann, Mirisch, 103min (p/s)

3:30am - Martha Scott (Mrs. Martha Hartley) in Cheers for Miss Bishop (1941) dir Tay Garnett UA 95min (p/s)

-----------TUESDAY, DECEMBER 2, 2014-------------------

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY, RAY WALSTON

5:15am Tall Story (1960) Anthony Perkins & Ray Walston, dir Joshua Logan, WB, 90min (p/s)

6:45am Kiss Them For Me (1957) Cary Grant & Jayne Mansfield, dir Stanley Donen FOX 105min (p/s)

8:30am Kiss Me, Stupid (1964) Dean Martin & Ray Walston, dir Billy Wilder, Mirisch, 125min (p/s)

10:45am South Pacific (1958) Rossano Brazzi & Mitzi Gaynor, dir Joshua Logan FOX 157min (p/s)

1:30pm The Apartment (1960) Jack Lemmon & Shirley MacLaine, dir Billy Wilder, UA 126min (p/s)

3:45pm The Sting (1973) Paul Newman & Robert Redford, dir George Roy Hill Universal 129min (p/s)

6:00pm Damn Yankees! (1958) Gwen Verdon & Ray Walston, dir George Abbott & Stanley Donen WB 111min PREMIERE

HAPPY 100TH BIRTHDAY, ADOLPH GREEN

8:00pm What a Way to Go (1964) Shirley MacLaine & Dean Martin, dir J Lee Thompson, FOX 111min PREMIERE

10:00pm Singin’ in the Rain (1952) Gene Kelly & Donald O’Connor, dir Stanley Donen MGM 103min (p/s)

11:45pm Bells Are Ringing (1960) Judy Holliday & Dean Martin, dir Vincente Minnelli MGM 126min (p/s)

2:00am The Band Wagon (1953) Fred Astaire & Cyd Charisse, dir Vincente Minnelli MGM 112min (p/s)

4:00am On the Town (1949) Gene Kelly & Frank Sinatra, dir Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly MGM 98min (p/s)

5:45am Auntie Mame (1958) Rosalind Russell & Forest Tucker, dir Morton da Costa WB 143min (p/s)

----------WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2014---------------

THE MANY DECADES OF KATHERINE HEPBURN

8:15am Bringing Up Baby (1938) Cary Grant & Katharine Hepburn, dir Howard Hawks RKO 102min (p/s)

10:00am SHORT: Mother Goose Goes to Hollywood (1938) dir Wilifred Jackson DISNEY 8min

10:15am Adam’s Rib (1949) Katharine Hepburn & Spencer Tracy, dir George Cukor MGM 100min (p/s)

12:00pm The African Queen (1951) Humphrey Bogart & Katharine Hepburn, dir John Huston, UA 105min (p/s)

1:45pm Lion in Winter (1968) Peter O’Toole & Katharine Hepburn, dir Anthony Harvey, Embassy Pictures, 134min (p/s)

4:00pm Rooster Cogburn (1975) Katharine Hepburn & John Wayne, dir Stuart Millar, Universal 108min (p/s)

6:00pm On Golden Pond (1981) Katharine Hepburn & Henry Fonda, dir Mark Rydell, Universal 109min (p/s)

“CLEVER ACCOUNTING”

8:00pm The Promoter (1952) Alec Guinness & Glynis Johns, dir Ronald Neame, Universal 85min PREMIERE

9:30pm We’re No Angels (1955) Humphrey Bogart & Peter Ustinov, dir Michael Curtiz, Paramount 106min (p/s)

11:30pm The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) Judy Holliday & Paul Douglas, dir Richard Quine, Columbia 99min (p/s)

1:15am Hot Millions (1968) Peter Ustinov & Maggie Smith, dir Eric Till MGM 106min (p/s)

3:15am The Producers (1968) Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder, dir Mel Brooks MGM 88min (p/s)

--------THURSDAY DECEMBER 4, 2014-----------

FRESH & NEW CHALLENGE: “LOOK, MAMA—I’M PRETTY!”

4:45am The Rainmaker (1956) Burt Lancaster & Katharine Hepburn, dir Joseph Anthony, Paramount 122min (p/s)

7:00am Now, Voyager (1942) Bette Davis & Paul Henreid, dir Irving Rapper WB 117min (p/s)

9:00am Marty (1955) Ernest Borgnine & Betsy Blair, dir Delbert Mann UA 90min (p/s)

10:30am The Enchanted Cottage (1945) Dorothy McGuire & Robert Young, dir John Cromwell RKO 90min (p/s)

12:00pm Gypsy (1962) Rosalind Russell & Natalie Wood, dir Mervyn LeRoy WB 143min (p/s)

2:30pm The Heiress (1949) Olivia de Havilland & Montgomery Clift, dir William Wyler, Paramount 115min (p/s)

4:30pm A New Leaf (1971) Walter Matthau & Elaine May, dir Elaine May, Paramount 102min (p/s)

6:15pm Jane Eyre (1943) Joan Fontaine & Orson Welles, dir Robert Stevenson FOX 97min (p/s)

SOTM—ANNE BAXTER

8:00pm The Ten Commandments (1956) Charlton Heston & Yul Brynner, dir Cecil B DeMille Paramount 220min PREMIERE

11:45pm Charley’s Aunt (1941) Jack Benny & Anne Baxter, dir Archie Mayo FOX 80min PREMIERE

1:15am All About Eve (1950) Bette Davis & Anne Baxter, dir Joseph Mankiewicz, FOX 138min (p/s)

3:45am Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Franchot Tone & Anne Baxter, dir Billy Wilder Paramount 96min (p/s)

-------FRIDAY DECEMBER 5, 2014-----------

WWII PROPAGANDA

5:30am Night Train to Munich (1940) Margaret Lockwood & Rex Harrison, dir Carol Reed MGM 90min (p/s)

7:00am The Great Dictator (1940) Charles Chaplin & Paulette Goddard, dir Charles Chaplin UA 125min (p/s)

9:15am Mrs. Miniver (1942) Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon, dir William Wyler MGM 134min (p/s)

11:30am Sabotage Agent (1943) Robert Donat & Valerie Hobson, dir Harold S Bucquet MGM 103min (p/s)

1:15pm Lifeboat (1944) Tallulah Bankhead & John Hodiak, dir Alfred Hitchcock FOX 97min (p/s)

3:00pm Above Suspicion (1943) Fred MacMurray & Joan Crawford, dir Richard Thorpe MGM 90min (p/s)

4:30pm To Be Or Not To Be (1942) Carole Lombarde & Jack Benny, dir Ernst Lubitsch UA 99min (p/s)

6:15pm 49th Parallel (1941) Leslie Howard & Laurence Olivier, dir Michael Powell, Columbia 104min (p/s)

OPTIONAL FOREIGN FILM CHALLENGE

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: IRANIAN CINEMA

8:00pm Children of Heaven (1997) Mohammed Amir Naji & Amir Farrokh Hashemian, dir Majid Majidi 89min C-SP EXEMPT

9:30pm Colors of Paradise (1999) Houssein Mahjoub & Mohsen Ramezani, dir Majid Majidi, Varahonar 90min C-SP EXEMPT

11:00pm Ferdowsi (1934) Nostratollah Mohtashem, Abdolhossein Sepenta, dir Abdolhossein Sepenta, Imperial Film of Bombay, 120min  C-SP EXEMPT

1:15am Shabe ghuzi (1965) Farokh Ghafari & Farhang Amiri, dir Farokh Ghafari, Iran Nerna Studio, 120min C-SP EXEMPT

------SATURDAY DECEMBER 6, 2014-----------

WHEN ENGAGEMENTS DON'T WORK OUT

3:30am Scrooge (1970) Albert Finney & Alec Guinness, dir Ronald Neame 114min (p/s)

5:30am The More the Merrier (1943) Jean Arthur & Joel McCrea, dir George Stevens Columbia 104min (p/s)

7:15am SHORT: Sleuth But Sure (1956) Jackson Beck & Eddie Lawrence, dir Dave Tendlar, Paramount 6min

7:30am Here Comes the Groom (1951) Bing Crosby & Jane Wyman, dir. Frank Capra, Paramount 114 min (p/s)

9:30am A Holiday Affair (1949) Robert Mitchum & Janet Leigh, dir Don Hartman RKO 87min (p/s)

11:00am His Girl Friday (1940) Cary Grant & Rosalind Russell, dir Howard Hawks, Columbia 92min (p/s)

12:45pm Vivacious Lady (1938) Ginger Rogers & James Stewart, dir George Stevens RKO 90min (p/s)

2:15pm Christmas in Connecticut (1945) Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan, dir Peter Godfrey WB 102min (p/s)

4:00pm A Room With a View (1985) Helena Bonham Carter & Maggie Smith, dir James Ivory, Merchant/Ivory 117min (p/s)

6:00pm Goodbye, Charlie (1964) Tony Curtis & Debbie Reynolds, dir Vincente Minnelli FOX 117min PREMIERE

ROBOTS

8:00pm THE ESSENTIALS: Metropolis (1926) Aldred Abel & Gustav Frohlich, dir Fritz Lang UFA 153min (p/s)

10:45pm Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977) Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher, dir George Lucas FOX 121min PREMIERE

1:00am Forbidden Planet (1956) Walter Pidgeon & Anne Francis, dir Fred M Wilcox MGM 98min (p/s)

2:15am TCM UNDERGROUND: Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996) Michael J Nelson & Trace Beaulieu, dir Jim Mallon, Universal 73min

3:30am The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969) Kurt Russell & Cesar Romero, dir Robert Butler DISNEY 91min (p/s)

5:00am SHORT: Mickey’s Mechanical Man (1933) Walt Disney & Marcellite Garner, dir Wilfred Jackson DISNEY 7min

5:15am The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Michael Rennie & Patricia Neal, dir Robert Wise FOX 92min (p/s)

LP’s Programming Notes:

Because I have to go into detail about every movie I chose, here are uselessly long programming notes that you needn’t read at all. But I must say this was a fun challenge and thanks to our brilliant moderator for running it. It’s worth commenting that most of my premieres are films I’ve never even seen but that sound interesting to me.

THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP

We are all sick of certain movie franchises that never end, such as certain arctic cartoons and comic book movies. But of course, sequels are as old as cinema itself, in some cases going through several different actors in the main character. Here are a sampling of movies that inspired a million sequels, such as the first Andy Hardy movie, the first “modern” Sherlock Holmes, and two that are still going strong: Godzilla and James Bond. I must mention that FRANKENSTEIN not only represents the many movies about the title character and his monster, but to me was the birth of all those monster movies: the mummy, the wolf man, Dracula, etc. I end with the premiere of the first Dr Kildare movie, INTERNES CAN’T TAKE MONEY, with the awesome Barbara Stanwyck.

NOTHING LIKE LIVE RADIO

Scheduling a bunch of movies about Live Radio was just an excuse to schedule my Import: WELCOME BACK MR. MACDONALD. I saw this funny and intriguing movie once back in college and never forgot it. It’s the story of a housewife whose play wins a contest to be performed on the radio. Unfortunately for her, the actors are all divas and take advantage of the live broadcast to change their characters to suit their egos. For extra humor we follow a truck driver listening in on the whole thing. Quite entertaining farce ensues. I hope you can all watch it sometime.

WE’RE OFF ON THE ROAD TO MOROCCO

Morocco is a captivating country with a beautiful landscape and unique history that inspired many a great film, as you can see. And when scheduling movies that take place in Morocco one must not only schedule ROAD TO MOROCCO but must use the song as the name of the theme. And one must schedule CASABLANCA and A NIGHT IN CASABLANCA back to back. I must point out THE CAPTAIN’S PARADISE in which Alec Guinness sails back and forth from Spain to Morocco and has one wife in each port (saucy Yvonne de Carlo and Brief Encounter’s own home-loving Celia Johnson), thus having it all. He thinks. It’s not as well known as it should be and is quite entertaining.

“THE BOB NEWHART SHOW” CAST REUNION

I’ve always felt like classic TV is the best, and that is partly because of the great casts they got. This show, for example, even had great character actors as recurring side characters such as relatives and patients. To prove these people were already brilliant, I scheduled only movies released before the show started. I thought it was such a kick that three of Dr Hartley’s patients were in FITZWILLY together, then found out that Dr Hartley, his primary patient Mr. Carlin, and best friend/dentist Jerry Robinson were all in CATCH 22 together. What a great excuse to show it on TCM.

HAPPY 100th BIRTHDAY, RAY WALSTON & ADOLPH GREEN

This is the reason I chose this week—two of my favorite talents both celebrating 100th birthdays on the same day! So we have some of character actor Ray Walston’s most memorable performances and a sampling of writer Adolph Green’s movies. This gives me an excuse to schedule what I consider Ray Walston’s greatest performance, which was when he reprised his Broadway role as the devil in the musical DAMN YANKEES. My Adolph Green (with partner Betty Comden) “playlist” shows his talent both as a lyricist and as a screenwriter, sometimes adapting his own original Broadway shows, sometimes adapting others’, and even creating original stories. Comden & Green’s greatest screenplay, SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN, legendarily came from the true stories of Hollywood’s transition to sound and Arthur Freed’s request that they write a movie with his songs. The world owes you for that, Arthur Freed.

THE MANY DECADES OF KATHERINE HEPBURN

We often praise the short but explosive careers of folks like Grace Kelly, James Dean, and Marilyn Monroe. But what is even more impressive is someone who maintains their career through many decades. Katharine Hepburn is just one of those actors who maintained a steady stream of good films for, as you can see, 6 decades. Here are my favorites from each decade (twas hard to choose), plus a cartoon with a Katharine Hepburn parody. Just looking at the list is impressive—look at all those great directors and co-stars she worked with throughout her long career.

“CLEVER ACCOUNTING”

These are movies about embezzlement, fraud, and other forms of “clever accounting”. The phrase of course comes from THE PRODUCERS when Leo Bloom creates a scheme to make more money from a flop than a hit. It’s a pleasure to schedule two Peter Ustinov movies in this group.

FRESH & NEW CHALLENGE: “LOOK, MAMA—I’M PRETTY!”

Perhaps it was because I just saw 110 IN THE SHADE (the stage musical version of THE RAINMAKER), but when I saw the announcement of the theme, I immediately thought of these films. These are all movies about “ugly” or “plain” people who finally either become pretty, find love, or both in the process of the film. The quote comes from GYPSY in which awkward Louise sees herself in a nice dress for the first time, and thus Gypsy Rose Lee is born. I included MARTY and THE ENCHANTED COTTAGE to make sure I represented “ugly” guys (“dogs like us” as Marty would say) finding happiness. Best part of this was scheduling A NEW LEAF with a “p/s” next to it—thanks, TCM!

SOTM—ANNE BAXTER

Whenever I feature an actor’s 100th birthday I try to find someone completely different as SOTM, which lead me to Anne Baxter. I can’t believe she hasn’t been SOTM before! She’s a great actress who’s been in many great films herself, most notable ALL ABOUT EVE (had me fooled the first time I saw it).  Great excuse to schedule CHARLEY’S AUNT and THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, which would probably be hard to get the rights to in real life, but this isn’t real life, luckily for me.

WWII PROPAGANDA

Of all the movies about World War II, the most interesting to me are those that were released during the war itself. These films were all made to rally the common man into supporting the war effort, so they are all pretty hard hitting propaganda. Unlike movies made after the war, there is a palpable insecurity over the loss of our way of life and some ignorance to certain facts about things like concentration camps. The featured films of the group are NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH (a “fake sequel” to THE LADY VANISHES) and Anne Baxter’s 4th film FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, both of which are fantastic films that get very little attention. If I had more premieres I would have scheduled some of Frank Capra’s great WHY WE FIGHT series, so I hope TCM will show them sometime.

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: IRANIAN CINEMA

For the optional foreign film challenge I immediately thought of CHILDREN ON HEAVEN, which is one of the greatest films I’ve ever seen from any country or decade. (It’s a great story of two poor children who have to share a pair of shoes.) Therefore I had to look up more Iranian films, hoping TCM will show them. COLORS OF PARADISE is the other Iranian film I’ve seen, about a blind kid’s relationship with his father. I included two others that seemed to represent two memorable aspects of Persian culture: FERDOWSI, about the great Persian poet, and SHABE GHUZI, a film version of the famous “1001 Arabian Nights.”

WHEN ENGAGEMENTS DON'T WORK OUT

This is not only a popular subject for screenplays, but also a great excuse to show GOODBYE CHARLIE, in which Debbie Reynolds plays Tony Curtis’ dead pal Charlie reincarnated as a hot chick. There are also a few Christmas movies sprinkled in here, appropriate for what month I chose.

ROBOTS

Finally we end with films that feature mechanical men. One can’t do a robot tribute without Gort, Robby the Robot, R2D2, C3P0, Tom Servo, Crow T Robot, and our essential robot of the week from METROPOLIS. Instead of scheduling one of the B-movies that MST3K riffed on their show like I usually do, I figured I’d cut the middle man and just schedule MST3K: THE MOVIE for your underground enjoyment. I know it would be hard to get the rights to STAR WARS, especially the original theatrical version, but that’s the fun of making these schedules—it’s my party and I’ll invite who I want to!

Thanks for reading. TCM, feel free to schedule all of these films, plus the one I usually schedule but missed this time, WHAT’S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD. Schedule all, please!

--LP

Not to be a killjoy LonesomePolecat, but the schedule is supposed to end at 6 AM he following Sunday morning, and yours ends at 7.

I am very happy that you have maintained your excellence and have gifted us with this wonderful schedule!

Your aspect of: "Fresh and New" is insightful in that the characters truly are in a new world even although their physical has not changed.

I love your selection of Persian/Irani movies! Shabe ghuzi (1965) is truly a favorite. I must wonder if you have watched: The Blind Owl (1975) as I believe that it captures well the personality of the region and I feel it is worthy of seeking.

I believe that we are very fortunate that the new software of the board allows edits at any time. It is by this that you can with ease change the last evening so as to bring it into compliance with the requirement of ending at 6:00 A.M. (ET). I must admit a certain curiosity as to how you will bring it down an hour. I have copied it so that I can compare it to what you select. 

We now have two wonderful schedules!

How many more will offer up their dreams for sacrifice on the altar of public opinion?

I am hoping very much that Challenge #26 will be the first to contain a hundred entries! 

All who read this must set aside all other things and begin work on schedules if this dream is to be attained.

Nice schedules LonesomePolecat and OBrien Mundy.  Devoting a whole evening to live radio movies is a fascinating idead, and I certainly do't know enough old movies to make a theme like that.  Nor would I remember that Ray Walston was even in The Sting, or indeed remember him well enough to build a centennial birthday celebration around him.  And a decade by decade retrospective of Hepubrn's career is a great idea.  Choosing Iranian film is a great idea.  I thought about it myself, and was considering the Koker Trilogy, along with films by Makmalbaf and Panahi.  As for you OBrien Mundy remembering scorers, set designers and script writers would be too esoteric for me to remember.  I actually devoted much of  a day to Polish cinema in a previous schedule, though for this one I was more incluined to devote a day to Czechoslovak movies.  The Young Girls of Rochefort is an excellent choice, I've suggested it myself in the past. Since it will be soon be out on Criterion, perhaps TCM will actually show it in the future.  (Though the three Satyajit Ray features on Criterion haven't encouraged them to do that.)  I'm struck that I've never suggested Peter Ibbetson in the past.  It's a wonderful movie that deserves to be better known.  It also means that I can't use it as a choice.

Great schedule lonesome! You had a couple themes that I was also considering. You posted first, so I may change gears. I love the tribute to Anne Baxter. She is very underrated. I'm also a big fan of Katharine Hepburn, so I enjoyed that tribute as well.

Thanks for all the kind words!

Funny you should mention the "must end at 6am" requirement. Having hosted the last challenge, I was actually going to disqualify myself anyway so I won't host the next challenge. So I'll leave all my robots there since I'm not "competing" anyway.

Sunday, September 28 2014

Happy Birthday, Marcello Mastroianni!

06:00 AM Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (1963) Embassy Pictures Corporation C-118 min Marcello Mastroianni, Sophia Loren D: Vittorio de Sica P/S
08:00 AM White Nights (1957) Cinecitta BW-107 min Marcello Mastroianni, Maria Schell, D: Luchino Visconti P/S
10:00 AM The Organizer (1963) Lux Films BW-128 min Marcello Mastroianni, Renato Salvatori D: Mario Monicelli P/S

All the World's a (Sound?)stage

12:15 PM  8 1/2 (1963) Cinecitta BW-135 min Marcello Mastroianni, Anouk Aimee, Claudia Cardinale, D; Federico Fellini P/S
02:30 PM  Contempt (1963) Rome Paris Films C-104 min Michel Piccoli, Bridgette Bardot, Jack Palance D: Jean-Luc Godard P/S
04:!5 PM Kiss me Kate (1953) MGM C-109 min Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel, Ann Miller D: George Sidney P/S
06:15 PM  Footlight Parade (1933) Warner Bros BW-104 min James Cagney, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler D: Lloyd Bacon P/S
08:00 PM  The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) C/BW-82 min Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels, Danny Aiello D: Woody Allen P/S
09:30 PM  Dogville (2003)  Zentropa Entertaintments C-177 min Nicole Kidman, Paul Bettany, James Caan D: Lars von Trier Premiere#1

12:45 AM (Silent) The Oyster Princess (1919) PAGU BW-60 min Victor Janison, Ossi Oswalda  D: Ernst Lubitsch EXEMPT
02:00 AM (Foreign) A Brighter Summer Day (1991) Yang and his Gang Filmmakers c-237 min Chang Chen, Lisa Yang D: Edward Yang EXEMPT

Monday, September 29, 2014

Memories of Munich:  Debacles Military and Moral

06:15 AM The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) Warner Bros BW-116 min Errrol Flynn, Olivia de Havailand D: Michael Curtiz P/S
08:15 AM Paths of Glory (1957) United Artists BW-88 min Kirk Douglas, Adolphe Menjou, George Macready D: Stanley Kubrick P/S
09:45 AM They Died with Their Boots on (1941) Warner Bros BW-140 min Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havailand D: Raoul Walsh P/S
12:15 PM Winter Soldier (1972) Millenium Zero BW-96 min D:  Winterfilm Collective Premiere#2

Happy Birthday Greer Garson:  three movies on the British Home Front

02:00 PM Mrs. Miniver (1942) MGM BW-134 min Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon D: William Wyler P/S
04:15 PM Went the Day Well? (1942) Ealing Studios BW-92 min Leslie Brooks, Mervyn Johns, Basil Sidney D: Alberto Cavalcanti P/S
06:00 PM Hope and Glory (1987) Columbia C-113 min Sebastian Rice-Edwards, Sammi Davis, Sarah Miles, Ian Bannen D: John Boorman P/S

Star of the Month Chishu Ryu

08:00 PM Late Spring (1949) Shochiku BW-108 min Chishu Ryu, Setsuko Hara D: Yasujiro Ozu
10:00 PM There was a Father (1942) Shockiku BW-94 min Chishu Ryu, Mitsuko Mito D: Yasujiro Ozu P/S
11:45 PM Tokyo Story (1953) Shochiku BW-136 min Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashiyama, Setusko Hara D; Yasujiro Ozu P/S
02:15 AM Early Summer (1951) Shochiku BW-125 min Chishu Ryu, Setsuko Hara, Chikage Awashima D: Yasujiro Ozu P/S
04:30 AM Dreams (1990) Warner Bros C-119 min Chishu Ryu, Martin Scorsese, Akira Tereo D: Akira Kurosawa Premiere#3

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Happy Birthday Michael Powell!

06:30 AM Black Narcissus (1947) The Archers C-99 min Deborah Kerr, Sabu, Jean Simmons, D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
08:15 AM I Know Where I'm Going! (1945) The Archers BW-91 min Wendy Hiller, Roger Livesey D: Michael Powell, Emeric Prressburger P/S
10:00 AM A Matter of Life and Death (1946) The Archers BW-104 min David Niven, Kim Hunter, Roger Livesey D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
11:45 PM The Red Shoes (1948) The Archers C-133 min Moira Shearer, Anton Walbrook, Marius Goring D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
02:00 PM The Tales of Hoffmann (1951) British Lion Films C-128 min Moira Shearer, Robert Helpmann D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
04:15 PM Contraband (1940) Anglo-American BW-92 min Conrad Veidt, Valerie Hobson D: Michael Powell P/S
06:00 PM The Small Back Room (1949) British Lion Films BW-106 min David Farrar, Kathleen Byron D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger Premiere #4
08:00 PM The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) The Archers C-162 min Roger Livesey, Deborah Kerr, Anton Walbrook D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
10::45 PM A Canterbury Tale (1944) The Archers BW- 95 min, Eric Portman, Sheila Sim D: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger P/S
12:30 AM One of our Aircraft is Missing (1942) Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors BW-102 min Godfrey Tearle, Eric Portman, Hugh Williams, D: Michael Powell, Eric Pressburger P/S
02:15 AM The Thief of Bagdad (1940) United Artists C-106 min Sabu, John Justin, Conrad Veidt D: Michael Powell, Ludwig Berger, Tim Whelan P/S
04:15 AM Peeping Tom (1960) Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors C-101 min Carl Boehm, Moira Shearer D: Michael Powell P/S

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

China's Twentieth Century on Film

06:00 AM The Good Earth (1937) MGM BW-138 min Paul Muni, Luise Rainer, D: Sidney Franklin P/S
08:30 AM The Goddess (1934) Lianhua Film Company BW-85 min  Ruan Lingyu, Zhang Zhzhi D: Wu Yonggang P/S
10:00 AM The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) Columbia BW-88 min Barbara Stanwyck, Nils Asther D: Frank Capra P/S
11:30 AM The Puppetmaster (1993) ERA C-142 min Lim Giong, Li Tain-lu D: Hou Hsiao Hsien Premiere#5
02:00 PM 7 Women (1966) MGM C-87 min Anne Bancroft, Margaret Leighton, Sue Lyon D: John Ford P/S
03:30 PM Days of Being Wild (1990) Rim C-94 min Leslie Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Tony Leung D: Wong Kar-Wai P/S
05:15 PM The Last Emperor (1987) Columbia C-160 min John Lone, Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole D: Bernardo Bertolucci P/S

Contemporary Chinese Cinema:  Taiwan, Hong Kong and the Mainland

08:00 PM A City of Sadness (1989) 3-H Films C-157 min Tony Leung, Sung Young Chen D: Hou Hsiao-Hsien EXEMPT
10:45 PM The Horse Thief (1986) Xi'an Film Studio C-88 min Hou Yong, Zhao Fei D: Tian Zhuangzhuang EXEMPT
12:30 AM In the Mood for Love (2000) USA Films C-98 min Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung D: Wong Kar-Wai EXEMPT
02:15 AM Farewell my Concubine (1993) Beijing Film Studio C-155 min Leslie Cheung, Zhang Fengyi, Gong Li D: Chen Kaige EXEMPT
05:00 AM Chungking Express (1994) Jet Tone Production C-98 min Brigitte Lin, tony Leung, Faye Wong, Takeshi Kaneshiro D: Wong-Kar Wai EXEMPT

Thursday, October 2, 2014

That's just simply medieval

06:45 AM Richard III (1955) London Films C-161 min Laurence Olivier, Claire Bloom, Ralph Richardson, John Gielguld, D: Laurence Olivier P/S
09:30 AM The Court Jester (1956) Paramount C-101 min Danny Kaye, Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone D: Melvin Frank, Norman Panama P/S
11:15 AM The Flame and the Arrow (1950) Warner Bros C-88 Burt Lancaster, Virgina Mayo D: Jacques Tourneur P/S
12:45 PM Marketa Lazarova (1967) Barrandov Studious BW-162 min Magda Vasaryona, Josef Kemr, Frantisek Velecky, D: Frantisek Vlacil Premiere #6

Happy Birthday Groucho Marx!

03:30 PM A Night at the Opera (1935) MGM BW-93 min Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Margaret Dumont D: Sam Wood P/S
05:15 PM Monkey Business (1931) Paramount BW-68 min Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Thelma Todd, Zeppo Marx D: Norman Z. McLeod P/S
06:45 PM Duck Soup (1933) Paramount BW-68 min Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Margaret Dumont, Zeppo Marx D: Leo McCarey P/S

Guest Programmer Don Fabrizio, Prince of Salina, from The Leopard

08:00 PM The Music Room (1958) Aurora BW-100 min Chhabi Biswas, Padma Devi, Gangapada Bose D: Satyajit Ray EXEMPT
09:45 PM Russian Ark (2002) The Hermitage Bridge Studio C-96 min Sergei Dontsov D: Alexander Sokurov P/S
11:30 PM Salvatore Giuliano (1962) BW-123 min Salvo Randone, Frank Wolff, D: Francesco Rosi P/S
01:45 AM Barry Lyndon (1975) Warner C-184 min Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson D: Stanley Kubrick EXEMPT
05:00 AM La Ronde (1950) Films Sacha Gordin BW-97 min Anton Walbrook, Simone Signoret, Simone Simon D: Max Ophuls P/S

Friday, October 3, 2014

In Memoriam Thomas Wolfe: You can't go Home Again

06:45 AM Man of the West (1958) United Artists C-100 min Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julia London D: Anthony Mann P/S
08:30 AM The Man who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) BW-123 min James Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Martin, Vera Miles D: John Ford P/S
10:45 AM A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) Warner Bros BW-122 min Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, Karl Malden D: Elia Kazan P/S
01:00 PM The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) Madeleine Films C-91 min Catherine Deneuve, Nino Castelnuovo D: Jacques Demy P/S
02:45 PM  Muriel (1963) Argos Films C-115 min Delphine Seyrig, Jean-Pierre Kenen D: Alain Resnais Premiere #7
04:45 PM The King of Marvin Gardens (1972) Columbia C-103 min Jack Nicholson, Bruce Dern, Ellen Burstyn D: Bob Rafelson P/S

But sometimes you just might

06:30 PM Lola (1961) Rome-Paris Films BW-90 min Anouk Aimee, Marc Michel D: Jacques Demy

Friday night spotlight:  sometimes love just ain't enough

08:00 PM The Rules of the Game (1939) Nouvelles Editions de Films BW-113 min Marcel Diallo, Jean Renoir D: Jean Renoir P/S
10:00 PM Tess (1979) Columbia C-186 min Natassja Kinski, Peter Firth D: Roman Polanski P/s
01:15 AM Paris, Texas (1984) Chanel four Films C-150 min Harry Dean Stanton, Natassja Kinski, Dean Stockwell D: Wim Wenders Premiere#8
04:00 AM Charulata (1964) R.D. Bansal & Co BW-117 min Madhabi Mukherjee, Soumitra Chatterjee, Shalien Mukherjee D: Satyajit Ray Premiere #9

Saturday, October 4, 2014 

Happy Birthday Damon Runyon!

06:00 AM Lady for a Day (1933) Columbia BW-96 min May Robson, Warren William, Guy Kibber D: Frank Capra P/S
07:45 AM A Slight Case of Murder (1938) Warner Bros BW-85 min Edward G. Robinson, Jane Bryan, Allen Jenkins, D: Lloyd Bacon P/S
09:15 AM Guys and Dolls (1955) MGM C-150 min Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, Frank Sinatra D: Joseph L. Mankewicz P/S

Special Fred Astaire Saturday Matinee

11:45 AM A Damsel in Distress (1937) RKO BW-98 min Fred Astaire, Joan Fontaine, George Burns, Gracie Allen D: George Stevens P/S
01:30 PM You were Never Lovelier (1942) Columbia BW-97 min Fred Astaire, Rita Hayworth, Adolphe Menjou D: William A. Seiter P/S

Happy Birthday Buster Keaton!

03:15 PM One Week (1920) Metro BW-19 min Buster Keaton, Sybil Sealy D: Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline P/S
03:45 PM The Navigator (1924) MGM BW-69 min Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire D: Buster Keaton, Donald Crisp P/S
05:00 PM Our Hospitality (1923) Metro Pictures BW-74 min Buster Keaton, Natalie Talmadge, Joe Roberts D: Buster Keaton, John G. Blystone P/S
06:15 PM The Playhouse (1921) First National Pictures BW-22 min Buster Keaton, Virgina Fox D: Buster Keaton, Edward F. Cline P/S
06:45 PM Cops (1922) First National Pictures BW-18 min Buster Keaton, Virgina Fox D: Edward F. Cline, Buster Keaton P/S
07:15 PM Sherlock Jr., (1924) Metro Pictures BW-45 min  Buster Keaton, Ward Crane D: Buster Keaton P/S

Special Challenge:  Entering New Worlds of Weirdness

08:00 PM (Essentials) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) MGM C-142 min Keir Dullea, Douglas Rain, Gary Lockwood D: Stanley Kubrick P/S
10:30 PM Matilda (1996) Tristar Pictures c-98 min Mara Wilson, Danny DeVito, Pam Ferris D: Danny DeVito Premiere#10
12:15 AM Videodrome (1983) Universal C-87 min James Woods, Deborah Harry P/S
01:45 AM (Underground)  Tropical Malady (2004) TIFA C-125 min Sakda Kaewbuadee, Banlop Lamnot D: Apichatpong Weerasethakul EXEMPT
04:00 AM (Underground) Angel Heart (1987) Tri-Star C-113 min Mickey Rourke, Robert De Niro, Lisa Bonet D: Alan Parker
EXEMPT

Schedule for September 28, 2014-October 4, 2014

Star of the Month:  Chishu Ryu

Friday Night Spotlight:  Unhappy Romances

TCM Silent Sunday:  The Oyster Princess (1919)

TCM Imports:  A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

The Essentials:  2001:  A Space Odyssey (1968)

Underground Double Feature:  Tropical Malady (2004) Angel Heart (1987)

Required Theme:  Bold New Worlds of Weirdness

Cultural Challenge:  Chinese Cinema

Guest Programmer:  Don Fabrizio, Prince of Salina, from The Leopard

1910s     1
1920s     6
1930s    12
1940s    16
1950s    14
1960s    14
1970s      4
1980s      8
1990s      7
2000s      4

Premieres:

Dogville (2003)
Winter Soldier (1972)
Dreams (1990) (a.k.a Akira Kurosawa's Dreams)
The Small Back Room (1948)
The Puppet Master (1993)
Marketa Lazarova (1967)
Muriel (1963)
Paris, Texas (1984)
Charulata (1964)
Matilda (1996)

Exempt Premieres:

The Oyster Princess (1919) (Silent)
A Brighter Summer Day (1991) (TCM Imports)
A City of Sadness (1989) (Cultural Challenge)
The Horse Thief (1986) (Cultural Challenge)
In the Mood for Love (2000) (Cultural Challenge)
Farewell my Concubine (1993) (Cultural Challenge)
Chungking Express (1994) (Cultural Challenge)
The Music Room (1958) (GP)
Barry Lyndon (1975) (GP)
Tropical Malady (2004) (Underground)
Angel Heart (1987) (Underground)

We start Sundday off with a birthday tribute to Marcello Mastroianni, with nicely segues into our theme about back stage or back cinema films.  Also we get to celebrate Bridgette Bardot's birthday with Contempt.  We conclude with Dogville,  a western that stages place entirely on a sound stage, and one of the century's most important films.  Finally we celebrate the first Sunday in autumn with what may the greatest movie you've never seen, about one particularly melancholy Taiwanese summer in particular.

Monday is the anniversary of the Munich agreement, which strikes me as a good reason to have four movies about debacles, military and moral.  After all losing is not the worst thing you can do in a war.  We celebrate Greer Garson's birthday with three movies on the British home front.  Then we have an evening devote to star of the month Chishu Ryu, then we devote all of Tuesday to celebrating the birthday of Michael Powell.

October 1 marks, for better or for worse, the establishment of the people's republic of China.  So I decided to devote a whole day to Chinese cinema, starting off in the morning and afternoon with four western films, and three Chinese ones.  In particular I would like to point out the TCM premiere of The Puppetmaster, a film about a Taiwanese puppet master who conveniently also helps showcase Taiwanese history.  The five movies come from all three Chinese cinemas--the mainland, Taiwan and Hong Kong, even though under international law they are all one country.  They include China's only Palme D'Or (Farewell my Concubine) Venice Golden Lion winner A City of Sadness, and the highest ranking 21st century film on the 2012 Sight and Sound poll (In the Mood for Love).

October 2 marks the birthday of Richard III, last of England's Plantagenet Kings, so we use him to mark off four films that take place in the middle ages, including Marketa Lazarova, perhaps the most admired Czechoslovak film of all time.  We then have a birthday tribute for Groucho Marx.  Originally I had Che Guevera as my guest programmer, but then realized he had to be fictional.  So instead I have Don Fabrizio, Prince of Salina.  His five choices include movies about aristocratic decline in India, the fate of the Russian aristocracy, his native postwar Sicily, the failure of one Irish upstart to enter the British aristocracy, and finally ending with a movie about elegant Viennese philandering.

October 3 marks the birthday of Thomas Wolfe, so we have six films where you can't go home again.  Either family issues are not resolved, or the past can't be surmounted and triumphed over.  We have Lola  as an exception to this theme before we got on to our Friday night spotlight.  Here are four movies where love does not conquer all, where lovers do not end up happily, and all in all, show more integrity that Hollywood is currently comfortable with.  October 4 we have three movies based on the work of birthday boy Damon Runyon.  We also have a birthday tribute to Buster Keaton.  I wondered how to connect the two Fred Astaire movies with the themes.  I thought that if Marlon Brando wasn't exactly the most obvious dancing star, neither were Joan Fontaine and Gracie Allen.  But then I stopped caring.  I suppose I could replace the two Astaire movies with Seven Chances and Limelight, in return for poster promising to vote for me regardless of the other people's schedules, and sending me properly notarized statements to that effect.  I'm really quite shameless in asking for votes.  Finally we deal with the theme of new frontiers, new worlds, transformations, and here I have a sci-fi/fantasy theme, with Dave Bowman's metamorphosis into the Starchild, Matilda Wormwood's discovery of her telekinetic powers, James Woods' transformation in to a VCR, the animal transformation in Tropical Malady's Buddhist Brokeback Mountain, or the extremely unpleasant change that awaits Mickey Rourke's character in Angel Heart.

Great schedule Skimpole! I love the tributes to Groucho Marx and the military debacles day.  Also the theme of entering new worlds of weirdness seems like something I'd end up watching, so I was also intrigued by that one. 

I've been making headway on my schedule today and it seems I'll have stiff competition based on the schedules already posted. 

Look forward to seeing more schedules.

I thank you for bringing us such a wonderful schedule, skimpole!

I believe that you have truly captured the personality of: Don Fabrizio in selecting those movies as his selection as Guest Programmer.

I had envisioned many scenarios for worlds new to the characters. I tip my hat to you for finding one new to me. "Weirdness" is truly a world for some people!

We have three wonderful schedules in one week and three weeks remain! I hope that all others are busy with their schedules!

Having hosted the last challenge, I was actually going to disqualify myself anyway so I won't host the next challenge. So I'll leave all my robots there since I'm not "competing" anyway.

I am sorry to hear that you are disqualifying yourself from the voting but I understand the sentiment well. I am not sure that I would have entered Challenge #25 if I had had an idea that I might win.

I believe that this might be the time to gather input on an idea which has been floating around in my mind and which refuses to leave:

It has happened many times that I have found a truly excellent day in one schedule but I must vote for a different schedule because I find it more uniformly interesting and it has a total of more movies which I know that I would enjoy watching.

I must wonder what people would think of making two votes: one for their favorite complete schedule and a second vote for best single day in any schedule.

The person who receives the most votes for complete schedule will be official winner and will host the next Challenge. 

Those who receive votes for days within their schedule would be recognized for their excellence and encouraged that some of their ideas are very popular.

Is this a thing which I should consider doing?

SansFin- Great idea! I often just adore either one whole day or one idea in a schedule I didn't vote for. It would be nice to booster more egos.

Skimpole- Fantastic schedule! Everyone you tributed (new word) deserves it. Now I'm glad I didn't do a tribute to Damon Runyon (a man who has been on my mind more than somewhat). Thanks for scheduling DREAMS, which should have been on TCM a long time ago.

I thank you for that support. The worst downside which I can foresee is that it is very disappointing to see when an entrant receives no votes at all for their schedule. It would make the pain worse for them if they also did not receive any votes for any single day of their schedule.