SansFin

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #26 - FRESH AND NEW!

116 posts in this topic

Wow, speedracer, that's scary. I guess great minds think alike. ;)

Haha I know.  I thought it was crazy how you had not only one similar idea to me; but several.  Before my Lucy Ricardo Guest Programmer theme, I was considering Jessica Rabbit.  I had a whole night made; but scrapped it as I decided that I really didn't know what Jessica Rabbit would select.  I had a whole evening of femme fatales... then, I thought about it and Jessica Rabbit, while somewhat femme fatale like, I didn't know if she was in the same vein as Barbara Stanwyck in "Double Indemnity" and Rita Hayworth in "Gilda."  Jessica's devoted to her husband Roger and I tried to come up with some movies in that vein, like "Executive Suite," and then it just became too hard.  That's when I switched to Lucy Ricardo, because if there's any television character I know a lot about, it'd be those on I Love Lucy. For awhile, my schedule was heavy on the film noir, especially because my SOTM was Rita Hayworth and I really wanted to highlight her films made with Glenn Ford-- many of which were in the film noir vein.  Combined with my then-Jessica Rabbit Guest Programmer with an all film noir evening... plus, I had a Friday Night Spotlight dedicated to "Murder Mysteries," and then my "Mystery writers solve real mysteries" theme, I was afraid that it was too much the same thing.  That's when I scrapped about 90% of it and went with some other ideas.

Interesting schedule Speedracer3.  Breaking the Sound Barrier, The Blue Bird and All that Jazz all are interesting premieres.  Also like the choice of The Rocky Horror Picture show.  I'm particularly pleased with the underrated Clue, which despite a vulgar start does actually get going well.   Not only does it include one of Madeleine Kahn's iconic screen moments ("it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing...") but Tim Curry gives one of the best performances of 1985, certainly more deserving than the preposterously overrated William Hurt.

Classic Afficando, I'm actually waiting for your programming notes.  The idea of having movies celebrate the first day of summer strikes me as a good one though.

Thanks Skimpole! I love Clue.  I also love 'Rocky Horror.' Though, I'll admit, I haven't seen it for years.  Is it wrong that I think Tim Curry's kind of hot when he's dressed as Dr. Frank 'N Furter? I really don't know why.  Fortunately, I've had this same discussion with friends of mine and they all agree with me.  When I saw 'Rocky Horror' the first time, about 10-11 years ago, they did the whole shebang-- the props and people were wearing costumes and everything.  My friend had organized the props for me and was in charge of telling me when to use them.  Prior to the airing of the movie, they asked all the "virgins" (those who hadn't seen Rocky Horror before) to come up on stage.  I hadn't seen it, but pretended I had, because I figured no good could come from going up on stage-- and I turned out to be right.  They had the participants simulating certain activities that I would not want to be doing either at all or in front of a hundred people.  Anyway, I digress. I'd love to see the movie again.

Clue is amazing.  Tim Curry has such a fantastic voice and who knew that someone could create such an awesome movie using the storyline of a board game?  I love all the alternate endings and the dialogue was fantastic, so fast paced and creative.  Madeline Kahn's "fire" speech is hilarious and I believe that I heard that she ad-libbed her entire diatribe about how much she hated Yvette the maid.

August 10 - 16, 2014

SUNDAYAugust 10, 2014

DAYTIME:  "All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people."

Psychiatrists

6 AM The Flame Within (1935) Ann Harding and Herbert Marshall. Dir:  Edmund Goulding. MGM, 75 min. p/s

7:15 AM Now Voyager (1942) Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. Dir:  Irving Rapper. Warner Brothers, 118 min. p/s

9:15 AM King's Row (1942) Robert Cummings and Ronald Reagan. Dir:  Sam Wood. Warner Brothers, 130 min. p/s

11:30 AM Spellbound (1945) Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck. Dir:  Alfred Hitchcock. Selznick Int., 116 min. p/s

DAYTIME "Cut this film as though it was the Hope Diamond."

A Salute to Barbara McLean

1:30 PM The House of Rothschild (1934) George Arliss and Loretta Young. Dir:  Alfred Werker. 20th Century Fox, 88 min. p/s

3 PM Wilson (1944) Alexander Knox and Charles Coburn. Dir:  Henry King.  20th Century Fox, 154 min. p/s

5:45 PM Twelve O’Clock High (1949) Gregory Peck and Hugh Marlowe. Dir:  Henry King. 20th Century Fox, 132 min. p/s

PRIMETIME:  "I've balanced our accounts."

Happy Birthday, Norma Shearer."

8 PM The Divorcee (1930) Norma Shearer and Chester Morris. Dir:  Robert Z. Leonard. MGM, 84 min. p/s

9:30 PM A Free Soul (1931) Norma Shearer and Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  Clarence Brown. MGM, 90 min. p/s

11 PM Their Own Desire (1929) Norma Shearer and Lewis Stone. Dir:  E.Mason Hopper. MGM, 65 min. p/s

LATE NIGHT: "Men are boys grown tall."

Silent Sunday:  A Salute to Lois Weber.

12:15 AM  Where Are My Children? (1916) Tyrone Power, Sr. and Helen Riaume. Dir:  Lois Weber and Phillips Smalley. Lois Weber Productions, 62 min.

1:30 AM The Blot (1921) Philip Hubbard and Margaret McWade. Dir:  Lois Weber. Lois Weber Productions, 80 min.

LATE NIGHT:  "The awful thing about life is this:  everybody has their reasons."

TCM Imports:  Films of Jean Renoir

3 AM Toni (1935) Charles Blavette and Celia  Montalvan. Dir:  Jean Renoir.

Films Marcel Pagnol, 90 min.

4:30 The Crime of Monsieur Lange (1936) Rene Lefevre and Florelle. Dir:

Jean Renoir. Films Oberon, 80 min.

MondayAugust 11, 2014

DAYTIME "When this thing happened were you working hard?  Yea, but not at the bank."

Bankers Hours!

6 AM American Madness (1932) Walter Huston and Pat O’Brien. Dir:  Frank

Capra. Columbia, 75 min. p/s

7:15 AM The Conquerors (1932) Richard Dix and Ann Harding. Dir:  William Wellman. RKO, 86 min. p/s

8:45 AM Prosperity (1932) Marie Dressler and Polly Moran. Dir:  Sam Wood. MGM, 87 min. p/s

10:15 AM David Harum (1934) Will Rogers and Louise Dresser. Dir:  James Cruze. Fox Film, 83 min. p/s

11:45 AM The Bank Dick (1940) W. C. Fields and Cora Witherspoon. Dir:  Edward F. Cline. Universal, 72 min. p/s

1 PM Baby Face (1933) Barbara Stanwyck and George Brent. Dir:  Alfred E. Green. Warner Brothers, 71 min. p/s

2:15 PM Rollover (1981) Jane Fonda & Kris Kristofferson. Dir:  Alan J. Pakula. IPC Films, 116 Min. Premiere

4:15 PM Quick Change (1990) Bill Murray and Geena Davis. Dir:  Howard Franklin and Bill Murray. Warner Brothers, 89 min. Premiere

5:45 PM Inside Man (2006) Denzel Washington and Clive Owen. Dir:  Spike Lee. Imagine Entertainment, 129 min. Premiere

PRIMETIME/LATE NIGHT:  "Hey, that brooch is as phony as a mother-in-law's kiss."

Happy Birthday, Lloyd Nolan.

8 PM Internes Can’t Take Money (1937) Barbara Stanwyck and Joel McCrea. Dir: Alfred Santell. Paramount, 75 min. p/s

9:15 PM Michael Shayne, Private Detective (1941) Lloyd Nolan and Marjorie Weaver. Dir:  Eugene Forde. 20th Century Fox, 77 min. p/s

10:45 PM Sleepers West (1941) Lloyd Nolan and Lynn Bari. Dir:  Eugene Forde. 20th Century Fox, 74 min. p/s

12 AM Steel Against the Sky (1941) Lloyd Nolan and Alexis Smith. Dir:  A. Edward Sutherland. Warner Brothers, 68 min. p/s

1:15 AM A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945) Dorothy McGuire and James Dunn.

Dir:  Elia Kazan. 20th Century Fox, 132 min. p/s

3:30 AM Airport (1970) Burt Lancaster and Dean Martin. Dir:  George Seaton. Universal, 137 min. p/s

TuesdayAugust 12, 2014

DAYTIME:  "Back home everyone said I didn't have any talent.  They might be saying the same thing over here but it sounds better in French."

Americans in Paris

6 AM This Modern Age (1931) Joan Crawford and Pauline Frederick. Dir:  Nick Grinde. MGM, 68 min. p/s

7:15 AM New Morals for Old (1932) Robert Young and Margaret Perry. Dir:  Charles Braden. MGM, 74 min. p/s

8:30 AM Paris Interlude (1934) Madge Evans and Robert Young. Dir:  Edwin L. Marin. MGM, 73 min. p/s

9:45 AM Wonder Bar (1934) Al Jolson and Kay Francis. Dir: Lloyd Bacon and Busby Berkley. Warner Brothers, 84 min. p/s

11:15 AM I Met Him in Paris (1937) Claudette Colbert and Melvyn Douglas. Dir:  Wesley Ruggles. Paramount, 86 min. p/s

12:45 PM Let Us Be Gay(1930) Norma Shearer and Marie Dressler. Dir:  Robert Z. Leonard. MGM, 79 min. p/s

2:15 PM Suzy (1936) Jean Harlow and Cary Grant. Dir:  George Fitzmaurice. MGM, 90 min. p/s

3:45 PM The Razor’s Edge (1946) Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney. Dir:  Edmund Goulding, 20th Century Fox, 145 min.

6:15 PM Forget Paris (1995) Billy Crystal and Debra Winger. Dir:  Billy Crystal.

Castle Rock/Columbia, 101 min. Premiere

PRIMETIME:  "My native habitat is the theater.  In it, I toil not, nor do I spin.

I am a critic and commentator.  I am essential to the theater."

Guest Programmer:  Addison DeWitt (Bonus Programming Challenge)

8 PM The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942) Bette Davis and Monty Wooley. Dir:  William Keighley. Warner Brothers, 112 min. p/s

10 PM Sweet Smell of Success (1957) Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. Dir:  Alexander MacKendrick. United Artists, 96 min. p/s

11:45 PM Please Don't Eat the Daisies (1960) Doris Day and David Niven. Dir:  Charles Walters. MGM, 112 min p/s

1:45 AM Critics Choice (1963) Bob Hope and Lucille Ball. Dir: Don Weis. Warner Brothers, 100 min. p/s

3:30 AM All About Eve (1950) Bette Davis and Anne Baxter. Dir:  Joseph L. Mankiewicz. 20th Century Fox, 138 min. p/s

6 AM MGM Parade

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

DAYTIME:  "Just us, the cameras and those wonderful people out there in the dark."

A Salute to Cinematographer/Inventor, John Seitz

6:30 AM Young Dr. Kildare (1938) Lew Ayres and Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  Harold S. Bucquet. MGM, 82 min. p/s

8 AM Ladies They Talk About (1933) Barbara Stanwyck and Preston Foster. Dir:  Howard Bretherton. Warner Brothers, 69 min. p/s

9:15 AM This Gun For Hire (1942) Veronica Lake and Robert Preston. Dir:  Frank Tuttle. Paramount, 80 min. p/s

10:45 AM Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Franchot Tone and Anne Baxter. Dir:  Billy Wilder. Paramount, 96 min. p/s

12:30 PM The Unseen (1945) Joel McCrea and Gail Russell. Dir:  Lewis Allen. Paramount, 80 min. p/s

2 PM Night Has A Thousand Eyes (1948) Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell. Dir:  John Farrow. Paramount, 81 min. p/s

3:30 PM The Big Clock (1948) Ray Milland and Charles Laughton. Dir:  John Farrow. Paramount, 95 min. p/s

5:15 PM Madame X (1937) Gladys George and Warren William. Dir:  Sam Wood. MGM, 72 min. p/s

6:30 PM When Worlds Collide (1951) Richard Derr and Barbara Rush. Dir:  Rudolph Mate. Paramount, 83 min. p/s

PRIMETIME/LATE NIGHT:  "Lefty, what's our racket?  Beer.  You're five minutes late.  

We're going into the drug business."

Racketeers

8 PM The Racketeer (1929) Robert Armstrong and Carole Lombard. Dir:  Howard Higgin. Pathe Exchange, 68 min. p/s

9:15 PM The Big Shakedown (1934) Charles Farrell and Bette Davis. Dir:  John Francis Dillon. First National/W-B, 59 min. p/s

10:15 PM Racketeer Rabbit (1946) Mel Blanc and Dick Nelson. Dir:  Friz Freleng.

Warner Brothers, 8 min. p/s

10:30 PM The Law In Her Hands (1936) Margaret Lindsay and Glenda Farrell. Dir:  William Clemens. First National/W-B, 58 min. p/s

11:30 PM  I Am The Law (1938) Edward G. Robinson and Barbara O'Neill. Dir:  Alexander Hall. Columbia, 83 min. p/s

1 AM The Ruling Voice (1931) Walter Huston and Loretta Young. Dir:  Rowland Lee. First National/W-B, 76 min. p/s

2:30 AM Great Guy (1936) James Cagney and Mae Clarke. Dir:  John G. Blystone. Grand National Pictures, 75 min. p/s

4 AM The Public Enemy (1931) James Cagney and Jean Harlow. Dir:  William Wellman. Warner Brothers, 83 min.

5:30 AM MGM Parade

ThursdayAugust 14, 2014

DAYTIME:  "I mean, the guy just tried to kill me so I don't think that cements

our relationship."

New Beginnings:  On the Run (Programming Challenge)

6 AM The Life of Jimmy Dolan (1933) Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and Loretta Young. Dir:  Archie Mayo. Warner Brothers/Vitaphone, 88 min. p/s

7:30 AM Hideout (1934) Robert Montgomery and Maureen O'Sullivan. Dir:  W. S. Van Dyke. MGM, 81 p/s

9 AM Brother Orchid (1940) Edward G. Robinson and Ann Southern. Dir:  Lloyd Bacon. Warner Brothers, 80 min. p/s

10:30 AM Continental Divide (1981) John Belushi and Blair Brown. Dir:  Michael Apted. Amblin Entertainment/Universal, 103 min. Premiere

12:15 PM Sister Act (1992) Whoopi Goldberg and Maggie Smith. Dir:  Emile Andolino. Touchstone Pictures, 100 min. p/s

DAYTIME:  "When a man outlives his usefulness, he ought to jump out of a window."

Department Stores

2 PM Employees Entrance (1933) Warren William and Loretta Young. Dir:  Roy Del Ruth. Warner Brothers, 75 min. p/s

3:15 PM Sweepings (1933) Lionel Barrymore and Eric Linden. Dir:  John Cromwell. RKO, 80 min. p/s

4:45 PM Three Sons (1939) Edward Ellis and William Gargan. Dir:  Jack  Hively.

RKO, 72 min. p/s

6 PM The Big Store (1941) Marx Brothers. Dir:  Charles Reisner, MGM, 83 min. p/s

7:30 PM MGM Parade

PRIMETIME/LATE NIGHT:  "Very stupid to kill the only servant in the house.

Now we don't even know where to find the marmalade."

Star of the Month:  Roland Young

8 PM The Bishop Murder Case (1930) Basil Rathbone and Leila Hyams. Dir: Nick Grinde., MGM, 91 min. p/s

9:45 PM His Double Life (1934) Roland Young and Lillian Gish. Dir:  Arthur Hopkins. Paramount, 68 min. p/s

11 PM David Copperfield (1935) W. C. Fields and Lionel Barrymore. Dir:  George Cukor. MGM, 129 min. p/s

1:15 AM Give Me Your Heart (1936) Kay Francis and George Brent. Dir: Archie Mayo. Warner Brothers, 88 min. p/s

2:45 AM Topper (1937) Cary Grant and Constance Bennett. Dir: Norman Z. MacLeod, MGM, 95 min. p/s

4:30 AM And Then There Were None (1945) Barry Fitzgerald and Walter Huston. Dir:  Rene Clair. 20th Century Fox/Poplar Pictures, 97 min. p/s

FridayAugust 15, 2014

DAYTIME:  "Never does not exist for the human mind, only, not yet."

The Films of Germany  (Bonus Programming Challenge)

6:15 AM Abwege (The Devious Path) (1928) Gustav Diessl and Brigette Helm. Dir:  Georg Wilhelm Pabst. Deutsches Universal-Film, 98 min. C-SP Exempt

8 AM Frau im Mond(Woman in the Moon) (1929) Klaus Pohl and Willy Fritsch. Dir:  Fritz Lang, UFA, 95 min. C-SP Exempt

9:45 AM Die Drei von der Tankstelle(Three Good Friends) (1930) Lilian Harvey and Willy Fritsch. Dir:  Wilhelm Thiele. Universum Film, 90 min. C-SP Exempt

11:15 AM Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (The Testament of Dr. Mabuse) (1933) Rudolf Klein-Rogge and Otto Wernicke. Nero-Film, 124 min C-SP Exempt

DAYTIME:  "Now, Mr. Dancer, get off the panties.  You've done enough damage."

A Salute to Saul Bass

1:30 PM Carmen Jones (1954) Harry Belafonte and Dorothy Dandridge. Dir:  Otto Preminger. 20th Century Fox, 105 min. p/s

3:15 PM Anatomy of a Murder (1959) James Stewart  and Lee Remick. Dir:  Otto Preminger. Columbia, 120 min. p/s

5:15 PM  It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) Spencer Tracy and Milton Berle. Dir:  Stanley Kramer. United Artists, 161 p/s

PRIMETIME/LATE NIGHT:  "Albania's hard to rhyme."

Friday Night Spotlight: Politics

8 PM  The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979) Alan Alda and Barbara Harris. Dir:  Jerry Schatzberg. Universal, 107 min. Premiere

10 PM Wag The Dog (1997) Dustin Hoffman and Robert DeNiro. Dir:  Barry Levinson. New Line Cinema, 97 min. Premiere

11:45 PM Seven Days in May (1964) Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. Dir:  John Frankenheimer. Paramount, 118 min. p/s

1:45 AM The Washington Masquerade (1932) Lionel Barrymore and Karen Morley. Dir: Charles Brabin. MGM, 74 min. p/s

3 AM The Great McGinty (1940) Brian Donlevy and Muriel Angelus. Dir:  Preston Sturges. Paramount, 83 min. p/s

4:30 AM Gabriel Over The White  House (1933) Walter Huston and Karen Morley. Dir:  Gregory La Cava. MGM, 86 min. p/s

SaturdayAugust 16, 2014

DAYTIME:  "He is a Nazi, Price is.  For all I kow his name is Preissinger or Preishoffer. 

Oh, sure, he lived in Cleveland.  But, when the war broke out he came back to The 

Fatherland like good little Bundist."

Happy 100th Anniversary, Paramount.

6 AM Merrily We Go To Hell (1932) Frederic March and Sylvia Sidney. Dir: Dorothy Arzner. Paramount Pictures, 88 min. p/s

7:30 AM Blonde Venus (1932) Marlena Dietrich and Herbert Marshall. Dir: Josef von Sternberg. Paramount Pictures, 93 min. p/s

9:15 AM Duck Soup (1933) Marx Brothers. Dir:  Leo McCarey. Paramount Pictures, 68 min p/s

10:30 AM The Road To Singapore (1940) Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.Dir: Victor  Schertzinger. Paramount Pictures, 85 min. p/s

12 PM The Glass Key (1942) Brian Donlevy and Veronica Lake. Dir:  Stuart Heisler. Paramount Pictures, 85 min. p/s

1:30 PM So Proudly We Hail (1943) Claudette Colbert and Paulette Goddard. Dir:  Mark Sandrich. Paramount Pictures, 126 min. p/s

3:45 PM Double Indemnity (1944) Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray. Dir:  Billy Wilder. Paramount Pictures, 107 min. p/s

5:45 PM Stalag 17 (1953) William Holden and Don Taylor. Dir:  Billy Wilder. Paramount Pictures, 120 min. p/s

7:45 PM Hollywood on Parade (1934) 12 min. Premiere

PRIMETIME:  "It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage."

Happy 100th Anniversary, Paramount

8 PM Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) Harrison Ford and Karen Allen, DirL  Steven Spielberg, Paramount Pictures, 115 min. Premiere TCM ESSENTIAL

10 PM Sunset Boulevard (1950) William Holden and Gloria Swanson. Dir:  Billy Wilder. Paramount Pictures, 110 min. p/s

12 AM The Country Girl (1954) William Holden and Grace Kelly. Dir:  George Seaton. Paramount Pictures, 105 min. p/s

LATE NIGHT:  "My dear girl.  If I allowed myself to be announced, I doubt I would be received anywhere."

TCM Underground:  Bela's "B's" (or "C's" or "D's")

2 AM Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla (1952) Bela Lugosi and Duke Mitchell. Dir:  William Beaudine. Jack Broder Productions/Realart Pictures, 74 min. Premiere

3:15 AM Scared To Death (1947) Bela Lugosi and George Zucco. Dir:  Christy Cabanne. Golden Gate Pictures, 65 min. p/s

4:30 AM One Body Too Many (1944) Jack Haley and Jean Parker. Dir:  Frank McDonald. Paramount Pictures, 76 min. p/s   

• Like 1

Lydecker’s notes

SOTM:  Roland Young

TCM Essential:  Raiders of the Lost Ark

Friday Night Spotlight:  Politics

Silent Sunday:  The Films of Lois Weber

TCM Imports:  The Films of Jean Renoir

TCM Underground:  Bela’s “B’s” (or worse)

Programming Challenge:

New Beginnings:  Gangsters or Innocents on the Run Who Change.

Bonus Programming Challenges:

Guest Programmer:  Addison DeWitt

Foreign Films:  German Films of the 1920’s and 1930’s

TCM Premieres: 

Rollover (1981)

Quick Change (1990)

Inside Man (2006)

Continental Divide (1981)

The Seduction of Joe Tynan (1979)

Wag The Dog (1997)

Hollywood on Parade (1934) Short

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952)

By decade:

1910's - 1

1920’s - 4

1930’s - 46

1940’s - 28

1950’s - 9

1960’s - 4

1970’s - 2

1980’s - 3

1990's - 4

2000+ - 1

In keeping with my general irreverence for TCM sacred programming cows (31 Days of Oscar, Summer Under The Stars) I have chosen a week in August, 2014 for my schedule.

Sunday begins with psychiatrists then segues into saluting three very talented Hollywood notables:  Barbara McLean, Norma Shearer and Lois Weber.  Lois Weber and I share a hometown (Pittsburgh) but more importantly, her body of work is deep and broad. Pushing on to TCM Imports, we have two 1930’s classics of Jean Renoir.  Monday features a day full of movies about banks and bankers and includes three TCM Premieres,"Rollover," "Quick Change" and "Inside Man."  Monday night we salute the wonderful Lloyd Nolan , an actor who truly fit the bill as a “Hollywood Reliable” with six films showcasing his work from the 1930’s to the 1970’s. 

Tuesday Daytime deals with “Americans in Paris” and Tuesday evening guest programmer Addison DeWitt presents five films featuring some of his favorite(and most acerbic) critics and columnists.  Wednesday we salute the incredibly talented cinematographer and inventor John Seitz.  His contribution to film through several decades is unparalleled. Wednesday evening we “pay tribute” to racketeers (yes, it is a veritable Warner Brothers Film Festival) on film and in cartoon via “Racketeer Rabbit.” Bugs channeling George Raft  --  you gotta love it!

Thursday our “New Beginnings” challenge is all about gangsters (or innocents) who are forced to abandon their comfort zone for a whole new world. Later in the day we have four films dealing with department stores from both comic and dramatic perspectives.  Thursday night is dedicated to my Star of the Month, Roland Young.  Always the consummate pro, equally adept at drama or comedy, Roland Young never fails to amuse and entertain which is why he is my SOTM

Filmmakers in Germany broke new ground and influenced much of what came later in Hollywood.  I have chosen four films which I find to be especially significant to showcase on Friday morning.  Then, a salute to the incredible Saul Bass, followed by my Friday Night Spotlight  --  “Politics” which includes two favorites of mine (and TCM Premieres) “The Seduction of Joe Tynan” and ‘Wag The Dog.”

Saturday is “All Paramount, All The Time” in a 100 year Salute to Paramount Pictures.

Yes, I know  --  we could argue whether Paramount was founded in 1912 or 1914 but

Paramount AS Paramount Pictures Corporation was created in 1914.  Just sit

back and enjoy a day of the best of Paramount, including my TCM Essential, Raiders of The Lost Ark.  This is a perfect adventure film  --  engaging heroes, a great quest, thrills, incredible wit  --   even Nazis.  Who could ask for anything more?  TCM Underground features three of Bela’s (as in Lugosi) “B’s (or worse) including a film which is my nominee for funniest movie title ever:  “Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla.” 

As always, it’s been fun.  Enjoy!

L

Great, Lydecker! Your schedule made me very happy to read. Roland Young is the best SOTM I've ever seen. He is my favorite actor. ^_^ I like the choice of early German films, too.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that someone else loves Roland Young as much as I do! My fav role of his is in "The Unguarded Hour," where I think he really got a chance to act, not just be a side man -- but he is always wonderful. Also, I had an uncle who was the spitting image of him!

Really great job on this schedule!

• Like 1

Lydecker's Notes:

One more premiere I forgot to include in my premieres list  --  sorry about that!

Forget Paris (1995)

Lydecker

Great schedule Lydecker! I especially love the choice of Addison DeWitt as a programmer and the salute to Paramount. 

• Like 1

Lydecker's Notes:

One more premiere I forgot to include in my premieres list  --  sorry about that!

Forget Paris (1995)

An advantage of the new board is that it allows editing of posts at nearly any time.

You have given us a wonderful schedule! I thank you for entering.

I like in particular that you choose: Hideout (1934) is your required theme because it is one of my favorite movies.

I feel that your selection of: Germany is interesting because many people forget the large number of excellent movies which came from that area at that time.

I must wonder if Addison DeWitt's commentary on the selected films would be critiques of the characters' approach to being critics.

• Like 1

@sansfin:

You can be sure Addison DeWitt would eviscerate his fellow critics in his Guest Programer stint though I imagine he would have a grudging admiration for Sheridan Whiteside.

Lydecker

Great schedule Lydecker! Love the quotes and all the background artists you featured. Roland Young rocks my socks as SOTM. Love Addison DeWitt--great choice! I can see him now ripping every classic film apart. "CASABLANCA is such sentimental tripe!" Though I'm surprised you didn't pick Waldo Lydecker as your programmer, eh? :)

• Like 1

Great schedule Lydecker! Love the quotes and all the background artists you featured. Roland Young rocks my socks as SOTM. Love Addison DeWitt--great choice! I can see him now ripping every classic film apart. "CASABLANCA is such sentimental tripe!" Though I'm surprised you didn't pick Waldo Lydecker as your programmer, eh? :)

Thanks for the kind words!  I've been wanting to feature Roland Young for a while now.  It's great to hear that so many folks share my admiration for him.  Addison DeWitt as a guest programmer is a dream come true!  He'd have a ball with all the classics not to mention:  "Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla."  Don't worry, Waldo L. as guest programmer is in the pipeline.

Lydecker

Great schedule Lydecker! I especially love the choice of Addison DeWitt as a programmer and the salute to Paramount. 

Thanks so much.  Yes, Addison DeWitt was born to be a guest programmer and, as for Paramount,

I only wish I had been able to include more of their classic films.

A wonderful schedule, lydecker! Your schedules are always ones to savor!

Right back at ya.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

This is your one week warning!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

You have only one week to enter your schedule!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

This is NOT a test! This is an actual warning! 

If you have not yet started your schedule you will have to postpone any and all real-life activities and begin immediately.

One week only remains!

BEEP!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

This is your one week warning!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

You have only one week to enter your schedule!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

This is NOT a test! This is an actual warning! 

If you have not yet started your schedule you will have to postpone any and all real-life activities and begin immediately.

One week only remains!

BEEP!

Sheesh.  Glad I'm done.  Not sure I could deal with the "postponing all real-life activities" mantra.

Sheesh.  Glad I'm done.  Not sure I could deal with the "postponing all real-life activities" mantra.

That is for slaggards and layabouts who need terse directions and prodding to complete their work. :)

I do truly wish that more people will enter. It is very well with me if people wish to enter a schedule which they exclude from voting because they do not wish to again host a Challenge. I find these schedules so very entertaining and enlightening that I feel that all are winners. 

• Like 1

That is for slaggards and layabouts who need terse directions and prodding to complete their work. :)

I do truly wish that more people will enter. It is very well with me if people wish to enter a schedule which they exclude from voting because they do not wish to again host a Challenge. I find these schedules so very entertaining and enlightening that I feel that all are winners. 

I am constantly impressed by the creativity of these schedules and often find myself saying:  "What a clever topic."  There is also very little repetition among a given group of schedules in a specific "challenge" which is somewhat amazing . . . or not.  Hopefully we have all just begun to explore the possibilities and I, for one, begin thinking of what do for my next challenge, just as I am finishing up a challenge.  

Lydecker

I've been busy recently so I haven't had time to comment on Lydecker's schedule.  I'm particularly pleased with having The Crime of Monsieur Lange on, as well as having Addison DeWitt as a guest programmer.  Choosing Rollover is an interesting choice, since I got the VHS tape several years but never got around to actually watching it.

• Like 1

At last, I now have a chance to provide programming notes for my schedule for Sunday June 21st through Saturday June 27th, 2015

First, I want to say that I like the other schedules that have been posted for this challenge.  All of you have done a really good job.

Programming notes for the TCM Schedule   June 21st through June 27th 2015:

Monday June 22nd is not only the start of the work week for many, but is also the first day of summer.   As a salute to the summer solstice, starting at 12 Noon into the early prime-time hours is a string of five movies with the word "summer" in the title.    However, at 10pm, the celebration does not stop there.  The salute to the beginning of summer continues into the night through the overnight into Tuesday June 23rd with a non-stop marathon of films that are all about sun and fun and exotic locales - first, taking audiences on European vacations ("Three Coins in the Fountain" and "The Pleasure Seekers"), next, hosting wild blow-outs at the seashore (the franchise-launching "Beach Party" and one of its sequels "Bikini Beach Bingo"), then, serving three helpings of love and laughter (all three "Gidget" feature films), and finally, guiding audiences through an excursion through the jungle, out of the jungle, and back again, (four of MGM's classic "Tarzan" films - the original "Tarzan the Ape Man", followed by three of its five sequels: "Tarzan and his Mate", "Tarzan Escapes", and "Tarzan's New York Adventure").

Tuesday night of June 23rd is a presentation of beauty, brains, and brawn - not necessarily in that order.   "The Swimmer" is a tragic drama - about a proud and disturbed older man with a gift for glib conversation and a good physique; also, it shows how what is attractive on the outside is not always attractive on the inside.    In a happier and light-hearted vein, the toned figures of Kim Novak and Clint Walker provide additional eye candy, accompanied by a freewheeling comedic plot, with Zero Mostel heading the cast of "The Great Bank Robbery".   Then, the laughs continued with the acting talents and the attractive faces of Doris Day, James Garner, and Polly Bergen, in "Move Over Darling".   Thelma Ritter provides plenty of the brains in this film as Doris Day's kindly, sympathetic, and wise on-screen mother-in-law, who helps her daughter-in-law and son through some madcap marital madness.   

Wednesday June the 24th - from 6 AM to 8 PM - is a showcase of ladies, highlighting only a few of classic Hollywood's most popular female stars: Jane Fonda ("In the Cool of the Day"), Ann Harding and Myrna Loy (both starring in "The Animal Kingdom"), Bette Davis and Olivia DeHavilland (both in "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex"), Joan Crawford ("The Story of Esther Costello"), Kim Novak ("Of Human Bondage"), Irene Dunne and Linda Darnell (both in "Anna and the King of Siam"), Ingrid Bergman (in her American film debut "Intermezzo", which was also an English-language remake of a Swedish film in which she had starred several years earlier), and Barbara Stanwyck ("The Miracle Woman").

The Star of the Month chosen is Joan Fontaine, with a weekly marathon of her films every Wednesday night starting at 8 PM continuing into the next morning.   This final Wednesday night and early Thursday morning in June salutes the late Joan Fontaine with seven films - a mix of lesser-known gems and well-remembered treasures demonstrating her versatility as an actress in distinct roles - cold-blooded villainesses ("Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", a Turner Classic Movies premiere, and "Born to Be Bad"), wayward seductresses ("Serenade"), passionate innocents ("Suspicion"), dignified ladies ("Rebecca", and the Turner Classic Movies premiere of "Island in the Sun"), and strong gentlewomen ("Jane Eyre"). 

Thursday June the 25th - from 9:45 AM to 8 PM - is a showcase of men, highlighting just a few of classic Hollywood's most popular male stars: Clark Gable ("Band of Angels"), James Stewart and Robert Ryan (both in "The Naked Spur"), Charlton Heston, David Niven, and John Ireland (all in "55 Days at Peking"), Kirk Douglas ("Champion"), Glenn Ford ("Blackboard Jungle"), and Sidney Poitier (in both "Band of Angels" and "Blackboard Jungle").

Friday June the 26th - from 6 AM to 8 PM - is a birthday tribute to the late Eleanor Parker, consisting of seven films - three of her MGM films ("Above and Beyond, "Scaramouche", and "Interrupted Melody"), two of her Warner Bros. films ("Caged" and "The Woman in White"), and two films made for other studios (Paramount's "Detective Story" and United Artists' "A Hole in the Head").

Friday Night Spotlight Theme - "Fresh and New": (four movies)     
 "New living arrangements with families: the good, the bad, & the ugly" with celebrity guest host Ashley Judd  

Ashley Judd was chosen as the guest host for the Friday night spotligh theme, as she is a famous woman from a famous family.   

The four films have the common thread of a character entering into a new living arrangement with members of their families - familiar relatives or new acquaintances, and in differing circumstances and with varying outcomes.

"The Secret Garden" follows an orphaned English girl in the turn-of-the-century, sent to live with her unknown uncle. 

"The White Cliffs of Dover" concerns an American woman who falls in love with and marries and English aristocrat and moves in with him and her in-laws before and during the two World Wars.

"The Color Purple" is about a teenage girl in the turn-of-the-century South forced by her abusive father to marry an older man - who is also abusive.   She endures and withstands more cruelty and mistreatment at the hands of both her new wicked husband and his spoiled children, ultimately finding courage, confidence, and hope from an unlikely source.

Like "The Color Purple", "Queen Bee" too is set in the South, and concerns a woman moving into a house of horrors.    A single and financially struggling woman is persuaded by her older cousin - whom she has never known - to move in with her, her husband, their children, and sister-in-law in their mansion.   At first seeing with rose-colored glasses, the young woman soon first-hand witnesses how evil and dishonest the elder woman truly is. She then struggles to maintain her own equilibrium as she hears the evil woman spew out one vicious comment after another and commit one spiteful deed after another.   

Show Boat (1936) is chosen as the Essential, as it has, for years, been overlooked in favor of the 1951 remake.    The earlier film is just as worthy to be showcased, for its presentation of the story, the acting, the cast (including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan), and the singing.   It is also a valuable reminder of how remarkable Irene Dunne was, both as an actress and as a singer.

Show Boat (1936) is chosen as the Essential, as it has, for years, been overlooked in favor of the 1951 remake.    The earlier film is just as worthy to be showcased, for its presentation of the story, the acting, the cast (including Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan), and the singing.   It is also a valuable reminder of how remarkable Irene Dunne was, both as an actress and as a singer.

Just as worthy?!! The 1936 Show Boat may just be the greatest musical film of all time! The '51 version is pretty good, but just not in the same league!

• Like 1

Just as worthy?!! The 1936 Show Boat may just be the greatest musical film of all time! The '51 version is pretty good, but just not in the same league!

You may have a point there.   Perhaps it might be more accurate to say that the 1936 Show Boat is at least as worthy to be showcased as the 1951 Show Boat.  I agree with you that the earlier Dunne-Jones-Robeson-McDaniel-Morgan film may be the greatest musical film of all time.  (Hands down, the 1936 version has a number of advantages over the later '51 version. There is no question about it.)    The truth is that I was attempting to avoid offending any fans of the Grayson-Keel-Gardner-Warfield film. 

Gotta agree the 1936 Show Boat is fantastic and head and shoulders above the 1951. I always hated how they tried to make the guy less of a jerk by having him not know his wife had the baby, when in the musical he leaves them both when the kid is 8ish. Kind of defeats the purpose. I usually love the MGM musicals from the 40s and 50s, and I would marry Howard Keel's voice in a minute, but never been a fan of their Show Boat. Great cast and all, just kind of a weird movie.

Countessdelave’s

TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE # 26

SUNDAY, JANUARY 4, 2015

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE, MRS. OLSON

The Film Career of Virginia Christine

6:00 am  The Killers  (1946)  Dir. Robert Siodmak.

starring Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner.  Univ., 103 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  Women at War  (1943)  Dir. Jean Negulesco.

starring Faye Emerson, Virginia Christine.  WB, 21 minutes.

8:15 am  Cover-Up  (1949)  Dir. Alfred E. Green.

starring Dennis O’Keefe, William Bendix.  UA, 83 minutes.  p/s.

9:45 am  The Gangster  (1947)  Dir. Gordon Wiles.

starring Barry Sullivan, Bellita.  Allied Artists, 82 minutes.  p/s.

11:15 am  Cyrano de Bergerac  (1950)  Dir. Michael Gordon.

starring Jose Ferrer, Mala Powers.  UA, 112 minutes.  p/s.

1:15 pm  Dragnet  (1954)  Dir. Jack Webb.

starring Jack Webb, Richard Boone.  WB, 88 minutes.  p/s.

2:45 pm  Invasion of the Body Snatchers  (1956)  Dir. Don Siegel.

starring Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter.  Allied Artists, 80 minutes.  p/s.

4:15 pm  Billy the Kid vs Dracula  (1966)  Dir. William Beaudine.

starring John Carradine, Melinda Plowman.  Embassy Pictures, 73 minutes.  p/s.

5:45 pm  Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner  (1967)  Dir. Stanley Kramer.

starring Spencer Tracy, Kaherine Hepburn, Sidney Poitier.  Columbia, 108 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  Cherry Blossom Time in Japan  (1936)  Dir. James A. Fitzpatrick.

Traveltalk.  MGM, 7 minutes.

THE FILMS OF DIRECTOR YASUJIRO OZU

8:00 pm  The Story of Floating Weeds  (1934)  Dir. Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Koji Mitsui, Choko Iida.  Shochiku, 90 minutes.  p/s.

9:45 pm  Dekigokoro  (1933)  Dir. Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Takeshi Sakemoto, Nobuko Fushimi.  Shochiku, 100 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  A Straighforward Boy  (1929)  Dir.  Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Tatsuo Saito, Tomio Aoki.  Shochiku, 14 minutes. 

SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS

12:00 am  Dragnet Girl  (1933)  Dir. Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Kinuyo Tanaka, Joji Oka.  Shochiku, 100 minutes.  Premiere-Exempt.

TCM IMPORTS

1:45 am  Tokyo Story  (1953)  Dir. Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Chishu Ryu, Chieko Higashimaya.  New Yorker Films, 136 minutes.  p/s.

4:15 am  Good Morning  (1959)  Dir. Yasujiro Ozu.

starring Koji Shidara, Chishu Ryu.  Shochiku, 94 minutes.  p/s.

MONDAY, JANUARY 5, 2015

SAG FOUNDERS REUNION

Ralph Morgan-the first President

6:00 am  Their Big Moment  (1934)  Dir.  James Cruze.

starring Zasu Pitts, Slim Summerville.  RKO, 68 minutes.

Lucile Gleason-the first Treasurer

7:15 am  First Lady  (1937)  Dir. Stanley Logan.

starring Kay Francis, Preston Foster.  WB, 83 minutes.

James Gleason

8:45 am  The Meanest Gal in Town  (1934)  Dir. Russell Mack.

starring Zasu Pitts, Pert Kelton.  RKO, 62 Minutes.

Charles Starrett

10:00 am  Cowboy Canteen  (1944)  Dir. Lew Landers.

starring Charles Starrett, Jane Frazee.  Columbia, 72 minutes.  p/s.

Lyle Talbot

11:15 am  No More Orchids  (1932)  Dir. Walter Lang.

starring Carole Lombard, Lyle Talbot.  Columbia, 71 minutes.  p/s.

Boris Karloff

12:30 pm  Night World  (1932)  Dir. Hobart Henley.

starring Lew Ayres, Mae Clarke, Boris Karloff.  Universal, 58 minutes.  Premiere #1.

Richard Tucker

1:30 pm  Trade Winds  (1938)  Dir.  Tay Garnett.

starring Joan Bennett, Frederic March.  UA, 93 Minutes.  p/s.

Leon Ames

3:15 pm  Murders in the Rue Morgue  (1932)  Dir. Robert Florey.

starring Bela Lugosi, Sidney Fox, Leon Ames.  Univ., 61 Minutes.  p/s.

Kenneth Thomson-the first Secretary

4:30 pm  Female  (1933)  Dir. Michael Curtiz.

starring Ruth Chatterton, George Brent,  1st Nat’l, 60 Minutes.

Alan Mowbray-the first Vice President

5:30 pm  Winner Take All  (1932)  Dir. Roy Del Ruth.

starring James Cagney, Marian Nixon.  WB, 66 minutes.

Bradley Page

6:45 pm  Million Dollar Ransom  (1934)  Dir.  Murray Roth.

starring Phillip Holmes, Mary Carlisle, Edward Arnold.  Univ., 70 Minutes.  Premiere#2.

NEWLY-MINTED MILLIONAIRES

8:00 pm  If I Had a Million  (1932)  Dir. James Cruze, Ernst Lubitsch, et al.

starring Gary Cooper, Charles Laughton, May Robson.  Paramount, 88 Minutes.  p/s.

Short:  The Million Dollar Cat  (1944)  Dir. Hanna-Barbera.

starring Tom & Jerry.  MGM, 7 minutes.

9:45 pm  Man With a Million (1954)  Dir. Ronald Neame.

starring Gregory Peck, Jane Griffiths.  UA, 90 minutes.  p/s.

11:30 pm  It Grows On Trees  (1952)  Dir. Arthur Lubin.

starring Irene Dunne, Dean Jagger.  Univ., 84 minutes.  Premiere#3.

1:00 am  Brewster’s Millions (1945)  Dir. Alan Dwan.

starring Dennis O’Keefe, Helen Walker.  UA, 78 minutes. p/s.

2:30 am  Mr Deeds Goes To Town (1936)  Dir. Frank Capra.

starring Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur.  Columbia, 115 minutes.  p/s.

4:30 am  Le Million  (1931)  Dir. Rene Clair.

starring Annabella, Rene LeFevre.  Films Sonoris Tobis, 81 minutes.  p/s.

TUESDAY, JANUARY 6, 2015

LORETTA YOUNG CELEBRATES HER BIRTHDAY IN STYLE

6:00 am  Midnight Mary (1933)  Dir. William Wellman.

starring Loretta Young, Franchot Tone.  MGM, 74 minutes.

Short:  An Intimate Dinner in Celebration of Warner Bros. Silver Jubilee  (1930)

Dir. John Adolfi.  Starring Loretta Young, Walter Pidgeon.  WB, 11 minutes.

7:30 am  Born To Be Bad  (1934)  Dir. Lowell Sherman.

starring Loretta Young, Cary Grant.  TCF, 62 minutes.  p/s.

8:45 am  Big Business Girl (1931)  Dir. William A. Seiter.

starring Loretta Young, Joan Blondell.  1st Nat’l, 78 minutes.

10:15 am  The Unguarded Hour  (1936)  Dir. Sam Wood.

starring Loretta Young, Franchot Tone.  MGM, 87 minutes.

11:45 am  Suez  (1938)  DirAlan Dwan.

starring Loretta Young, Tyrone Power, Annabella.  TCF, 104 minutes.  p/s.

1:30 pm  Three Blind Mice  (1938)  Dir. William A. Seiter.

starring Loretta Young, Joel McCrea, David Niven.  TCF, 75 minutes.  Premiere#4.

3:00 pm  Wife, Husband and Friend (1939)  Dir. Gregory Ratoff.

starring Loretta Young, Warner Baxter, Binnie Barnes.  TCF, 78 minutes.  p/s.

4:30 pm  Eternally Yours  (1939)  Dir. Tay Garnett.

starring Loretta Young, David Niven.  UA, 99 minutes.  p/s.

6:15 pm  The Men in Her Life  (1941)  Dir. Gregory Ratoff.

starring Loretta Young, Conrad Veidt.  Columbia, 89 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  Week-End in Hollywood  (1947)

starring Don Ameche, Bob Hop, Red Skelton.  Hollywood Film Enterprises, 11 minutes.

STAR OF THE MONTH:  DON AMECHE

8:00 pm  Ramona  (1936)  Dir. Henry King.

starring Loretta Young, Don Ameche.  TCF, 84 minutes.  Premiere#5.

9:30 pm  Alexander’s Ragtime Band  (1938)  Dir.  Henry King.

starring Tyrone power, Alice Faye, Don Ameche.  TCF, 106 minutes.  p/s.

11:30 pm  Happy Landing  (1938)  Dir. Julien Duvivier.

starring Sonja Henie, Don Ameche, Ethel Merman.  TCF, 102 minutes.  Premiere#6.

1:15 am  Down Argentine Way  (1940)  Dir. Frank Borzage.

starring Betty Grable, Don Ameche.  TCF, 89 minutes.  p/s

Short:  Screen Snapshots  Series 18, #8  (1939)  Dir. Ralph Staub.

starring Don Ameche, Sonja Henie, Joan Crawford.  Columbia, 10 mionutes.

3:00 am Midnight  (1939)  Dir. Mitchell Leisen.

starring Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, John Barrymore.  Paramount, 94 minutes. p/s.

4:45 am Warner Bros. 90th Anniversary: Tales From The Lot  (2013)  Dir. Gary Khammer.

TCM, 53 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  Sunkist Stars At Palm Springs  (1936)  Dir. Roy Rowland.

Starring Edmund Lowe, Ricardo Cortez, Betty Grable.  MGM, 20 minutes.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 7, 2015

THE CORTEZ BROTHERS IN HOLLYWOOD

Ricardo

6:00 am  Torrent  (1926)  Dir. Monta Bell.

starring Greta Garbo, Ricardo Cortez.  MGM, 88 minutes.

7:30 am  Montana Moon  (1930)  DirMonta Bell.

starring Joan Crawford, Johnny Mack Brown, Ricardo Cortez.  MGM, 89 minutes.

9:00 am  Ten Cents A Dance  (1931)  Dir. Lionel Barrymore.

starring Barbara Stanwyck, Ricardo Cortez.  Columbia, 75 minutes.  p/s.

10:30 am  Torch Singer  (1933)  Dir. Alexander Hall.

starring Claudette Colbert, Ricardo Cortez, Lyda Roberti.  Paramount, 71 minutes.  p/s.

Stanley

11:45 am  Flesh and Fantasy  (1943)  Dir. Julien Duvivier.

starring Edward G. Robinson, Barbara Stanwyck.  Univ., 94 minutes.  Premiere#7.

1:30 pm  Since You Went Away  (1944)  Dir. John Cromwell.

starring Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones.  Selznick, 177 minutes.  p/s.

4:30 pm  The Night of the Hunter  (1955)  Dir. Charles Laughton.

starring Robert Mitchum, Lillian Gish, Shelley Winters.  UA, 93 minutes.  p/s.

6:15 pm  The Three Faces of Eve  (1957)  Dir. Nunnally Johnson. 

starring Joanne Woodward, Lee J. Cobb, David Wayne.  TCF, 91 minutes.  p/s.

GUEST PROGRAMMER:  Dixie Belle Lee (from The Awful Truth)

8:00 pm  The Seven Year Itch  (1955)  Dir. Billy Wilder.

starring  Marilyn Monroe, Tom Ewell, Evelyn Keyes.  TCF, 105 minutes.  p/s.

10:00 pm  Artists and Models Abroad  (1938)  Dir. Mitchell Leisen.

starring Jack Benny, Joan Bennett, Joyce Compton.  Paramount, 90 minutes.  GP-Exempt.

11:45 pm  Big Brown Eyes  (1936)  Dir. Raoul Walsh.

starring Cary Grant, Joan Bennett.  Paramount, 77 minutes.  GP-Exempt.

1:15 am  The Bad and the Beautiful  (1953)  Dir. Vincent Minnelli.

starring Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, Gloria Grahame.  MGM, 116 minutes.

3:15 am  Auntie Mame  (1958)  Dir. Morton DaCosta.

starring Rosalind Russell, Forrest Tucker.  WB, 143 minutes.  p/s.

Short:  For Art’s Sake  (1930)  Dir.  Harold Beaudine.

starring Helen Broderick, Lester Crawford.  Vitaphone, 8 minutes.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 8, 2015

LIKE MOTHER, LIKE SON:  Helen Broderick & Broderick Crawfod

6:00 am  Swing Time  (1936)  Dir. George Stevens.

starring Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Helen Broderick.  RKO, 103 minutes.

7:45 am  Naughty But Nice  (1939)  Dir. Richard Macaulay.

starring Ann Sheridan, Dick Powell, Helen Broderick.  WB, 89 minutes.

9:15 am  Slightly Honorable  (1939)  Dir. Tay Garnett.

starring Pat O’Brien, Edward Arnold, Broderick Crawford.  UA, 89 minutes.  p/s.

10:45 am   Born Yesterday  (1950)  Dir. George Cukor.

starring Judy Holiday, Broderick Crawford, William Holden.  Columbia,  103 minutes.  p/s.

LIKE FATHER, LIKE DAUGHTER: Robert Montgomery & Elizabeth Montgomery

12:30 pm  Blondie of the Follies  (1932)  Dir. Edmund Goulding.

starring Marion Davies, Robert Montgomery, Billie Dove.  MGM, 91 minutes.

2:15 pm  Ride the Pink Horse  (1947)  Dir. Robert Montgomery.

starring Robert Montgomery, Wanda Hendrix, Thomas Gomez.  Univ., 101 minutes.  p/s.

4:00 pm  Johnny Cool  (1963)  Dir.  William Asher.

starring Elizabeth Montgomery, Henry Silva.  UA, 101 minutes.  p/s.

5:45 pm  Who’s Been Sleeping in My Bed?  (1963)  Dir. Daniel Mann.

starring Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery, Martin Balsam.  Paramount, 103 minutes.  p/s.

7:30 pm  Short:  Surprise!  (1935)  Dir. Roy Mack.

starring The Duncan Sisters.  Vitaphone, 21 minutes.

THE LANE SISTERS, TOGETHER AND APART

8:00 pm  Variety Show  (1937)  Dir. William Keighley.

starring Dick Powell, Rosemary Lane, Priscilla Lane.  WB, 81 minutes.

9:30 pm  Four Daughters  (1938)  Dir. Michael Curtiz.

starring Claude Rains, Priscilla, Lola & Rosemary Lane, John Garfield.  WB, 90 minutes.

Short: The Voice of Hollywood No. 5  (1930)  Dir. Lewis Lewyn

starring Taylor Holmes, Armida, Lola Lane, Gus Edwards.  Tiffany Prod., 10 minutes.

11:15 pm  Hollywood Hotel  (1937)  Dir. Busby Berkeley.

starring Dick Powell, Rosemary & Lola Lane.  WB, 109 minutes.

1:15 am  Daughters Courageous (1939)  Dir.  Michael Curtiz.

starring Claude Rains, Priscilla, Lola & Rosemary Lane, John Garfield.  WB, 107 minutes.

3:15 am  Ladies Must Live  (1940)  Dir. Noel M. Smith.

starring Wayne Morris, Rosemary Lane.  WB, 58 minutes.

4:15 am  Four Wives (1939)  Dir. Michael Curtiz.

starring Priscilla, Lola & Rosemary Lane, Jeffrey Lynn, Claude Rains.  WB, 110 minutes.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 9 , 2015

GYPSYS, TRAMPS AND THIEVES

Gypsies

6:15 am  The Miracle  (1959)  Dir. Irving Rapper.

starring Carroll Baker, Roger Moore, Walter Slezak.  WB, 121 minutes.  p/s.

8:30 am  Golden Earrings  (1947)  Dir. Mitchell Leisen.

starring Ray Milland, Marlene Dietrich.  Paramount, 95 minutes.  p/s.

10:15 am  Gypsy Wildcat  (1944)  Dir. Roy William Neill.

starring Maria Montez, Jon Hall.  Univ., 77 minutes.  Premiere#8.

11:45 am  Blanche Fury  (1948)  Dir. Marc Allegret.

starring Valerie Hobson, Stewart Granger.  Eagle-Lion, 90 minutes.  Premiere#9.

Tramps

1:30 pm  The Circus  (1928)  Dir. Charles Chaplin.

starring Charles Chaplin, Merna Kennedy.  UA, 71 minutes.  p/s.

2:45 pm  Tramp, Tramp, Tramp  (1926)  Dir. Hugo Haas.

starring Harry Langdon, Joan Crawford.  1st Nat’l, 62 minutes.

4:00 pm  Hallelujah I’m a Bum  (1933)  Dir. Lewis Milestone.

starring Al Jolson, Madge Evans.  UA, 82 minutes.  p/s.

Thieves

5:30 pm  Short:  Trans-Atlantic Mystery  (1932)  Dir. Joseph Henebery.

starring Donald Meek, John Hamilton.  WB, 22 minutes.

6:00 pm  Algiers  (1938)  Dir. John Cromwell.

starring Charles Boyer, Hedy Lamarr.  UA, 96 minutes. p/s.

Short:  Seeing Spain  (1952)  Dir. James A. FitzPatrick.

Narrator: James A. FitzPatrick.  MGM, 8 minutes.

FRIDAY NIGHT SPOTLIGHT: WORLD DANCE IN FILM

The Flamenco World of Carlos Saura

8:00 pm   Carmen  (1983)  Dir. Carlos Saura.

starring Antonio Gades, Laura Del Sol.  Orion Classics, 102 minutes.  C-SP Exempt.

9:45 pm  El Amor  Brujo (1986)  Dir. Carlos Saura.

starring Antonio Gades, Cristina Hoyos, Laura Del Sol.  Orion Classics, 100 minutes.  C-SP Exempt.

11:30 pm  Blood Wedding  (1981)  Dir. Carlos Saura.

starring Antonio Gades, Cristina Hoyos.  Orion Classics, 67 minutes.  C-SP Exempt.

12:45 am  Salome  (2002)  Dir. Carlos Saura.

starring Aida Gomez, Pere Arquillue.  Zebra prod., 85 minutes.  C-SP Exempt.

2:15 am  Knickerbocker Holiday  (1944)  Dir. Harry Joe Brown.

starring Nelson Eddy, Charles Coburn, Carmen Amaya.  UA, 85 minutes.  Premiere#10.

3:45 am  The Firefly  (1937)  Dir. Robert Z. Leonard.

starring Jeanette MacDonald, Allan Jones, Warren William.  MGM, 131 minutes.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 10, 2015

SATURDAY SPIES

6:00 am  Mata Hari  (1931)  Dir. George Fitzmaurice.

starring Greta Garbo, Ramon Novarro.  MGM, 89 minutes.

7:30 am  Spies  (1928)  Dir. Ritz Lag. 

starring Rudolf Lein-Rogge, Gerda Maurus..  MGM, 143 minutes.  p/s. 

10:00  am  The 39 Steps  (1935)  Dir. Alfred Hitchcock.

starring Robert Donat, Madeleine Carroll.  British Gaumont, 87 minutes.  p/s.

11:30 am  Foreign Correspondent  (1940)  DirAlfred Hitchcock. 

starring Joel McCrea, Herbery Marshall, Laraine Day.  UA, 120 minutes.  p/s.

1:45 pm  Ministry of Fear (1944)  Dir. Fritz Lang.

starring Ray Milland, Marjorie Reynolds.  Paramount, 86 minutes.  p/s.

3:15 pm  Pickup on South Street  (1952)  Dir. Sam Fuller.

starring Richard Widmark, Jean Peters, Thelma Ritter.  TCF, 75 minutes.  p/s.

4:30 pm  My Favorite Spy  ( 1951)  Dir.  Norman Z. McLeod.

Starring Bob Hope, Hedy Lamarr.  Paramount, 93 minutes.  p/s.

6:15 pm  The Silencers  (1966)  Dir. Phil Karlson.

starring Dean Martin, Stella Stevens.  Columbia, 104 minutes.  p/s.

FROM DUSK UNTIL DAWN: A DATE WITH THE VAMPIRE

THE ESSENTIALS

8:00 pm   Nosferatu  (1922)  Dir. F.W. Murnau.

starring Max Schreck, Greta Schroeder.  Film Arts Guild, 88 minutes.  p/s.

9:45 pm  Vampyr  (1932)  Dir. Carl Theodor Dreyer.

starring Julian West, Maurice Schutz.  Tobis Filmkunst, 71 minutes.  p/s.

11:00 pm  Dracula  (1931)  Dir. Tod Browning.

starring Bela Lugosi, Helen Chamdler.  Univ., 75 minutes.  p/s.

12:15 am  Blacula  (1972)  Dir. William Crain.

starring William Marshall, Vonetta McGee.  AIP, 96 minutes.  p/s.

TCM UNDERGROUND

2:00 am  The Lost Boys  (1987)  Dir. Joel Schumacher.

starring Kiefer Sutherland, Jason Patric.  WB, 97 minutes.  Exempt.

3:45 am  House of Dark Shadows  (1970)  Dir. Dan Curtis.

starring Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall, Joan Bennett.  MGM, 97 minutes.

Short:   Good Morning, Eve  (1934)  Dir. Roy Mack.

starring Leon Errol, June MacCloy.  Vitaphone, 19 minutes.