Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Did Rock Hudson ever make a good movie?

366 posts in this topic

tumblr_mbfmenggnw1qiflw2o1_500.jpg

Just imagine her perched on the edge of something else.

YOW!

Dargo beat me to commenting on what I'd imagine her perched on.

LOL. Not a comfortable position for, well you know....

"TOILET"???

Dude, that wasn't exactly what I WAS imagining her "perched" upon!!!

LOL

I must have toilets on the brain. Maybe I need a "comfort break".

I must have toilets on the brain. Maybe I need a "comfort break".

Surprised the word wasn't censored...

Is this photo of  Rock Hudson?

Um - I thought it was. Isn't it? I got it from the "Images" google thing. However, it's not always reliable. Dang, it looks like Rock. Or so I thought. Hell, I'm no Rock Hudson expert. Go ask Doris Day. :huh:

Actually, never mind Rock Hudson. I just found (I was trying to research the veracity of the Rock image) this pic of Daniel Craig. On the same "google image" thing. So maybe that guy I posted earlier is not Mr. H.

But never mind all that, this is a delicious pic of Daniel Craig. This guy is very sexy, partly because he's not perfect-looking. He always looks intense. I don't care about his  ears (which don't show much in that shot anyway), the flaw just makes him sexier.

Sorry this is such a large photo. I'm sure there's a way to reduce the size of imported pics here, but I do not know what it is.daniel%2Bcraig%2Bshirtless.jpeg

I remember reading in my Encyclopedia of Science Fiction about Hudson financing the movie "Seconds." Not sure I reached that movie, though. 

Actually, never mind Rock Hudson. I just found (I was trying to research the veracity of the Rock image) this pic of Daniel Craig. On the same "google image" thing. So maybe that guy I posted earlier is not Mr. H.

But never mind all that, this is a delicious pic of Daniel Craig. This guy is very sexy, partly because he's not perfect-looking. He always looks intense. I don't care about his  ears (which don't show much in that shot anyway), the flaw just makes him sexier.

Sorry this is such a large photo. I'm sure there's a way to reduce the size of imported pics here, but I do not know what it is.daniel%2Bcraig%2Bshirtless.jpeg

Yes, I agree he is HOT! The best built Bond imo......

Yes that is Rock Hudson.

I know. And I DON'T know why there was ever any doubt about it bein' him.

(...'cause even though his HAIR is wet and little mussed-up, it looks just LIKE him!!!!)

I know. And I DON'T know why there was ever any doubt about it bein' him.

(...'cause even though his HAIR is wet and little mussed-up, it looks just LIKE him!!!!)

Maybe Holden needs glasses?

Maybe Holden needs glasses?

LOL

Yeah, maybe.

BUT I gotta say his vision DOES usually appear to be good enough to post on some very inSIGHTful comments around here.

(...WHICH is more than I can usually say about MYSELF!!!) LOL

LOL

Yeah, maybe.

BUT I gotta say his vision DOES usually appear to be good enough to post on some very inSIGHTful comments around here.

(...WHICH is more than I can usually say about MYSELF!!!) LOL

No comment........

It's Rock and Doris tonight. Wish I could stay up and watch them all. I'm glad Pillow Talk is first as I havent seen that one in a long time......the others I have in the past year....

It's Rock and Doris tonight. Wish I could stay up and watch them all. I'm glad Pillow Talk is first as I havent seen that one in a long time......the others I have in the past year....

I'll never forget what she does to his apartment in Pillow Talk. Doris knew what she was doing. About the worst way to get even with a gay man is with tacky interior decoration.

Cuts right to the bone.

ps- I still don't really get what Doris did that was worthy of an Oscar nod in Pillow Talk. Especially considering she got the nomination at the expense of Marilyn in Some Like it Hot and Lee Remick in Anatomy of a Murder. Although I was more amused by Thelma Ritter than I remembered having been in the past. Pity her role was so insubstantial. She had almost as little screen time as fellow nominee Hermione Baddely in Room at the Top; no wonder Shelley Winters took Best Supporting that year.

I'll never forget what she does to his apartment in Pillow Talk. Doris knew what she was doing. About the worst way to get even with a gay man is with tacky interior decoration.

LOL, Lorna!

I agree her nomination was puzzling. Probably a payback for NOT getting one for Love Me or Leave ME which she DID deserve!

Cuts right to the bone.

ps- I still don't really get what Doris did that was worthy of an Oscar nod in Pillow Talk. Especially considering she got the nomination at the expense of Marilyn in Some Like it Hot and Lee Remick in Anatomy of a Murder. Although I was more amused by Thelma Ritter than I remembered having been in the past. Pity her role was so insubstantial. She had almost as little screen time as fellow nominee Hermione Baddely in Room at the Top; no wonder Shelley Winters took Best Supporting that year.

I agree (Doris Day's Pillow Talk ) nomination was puzzling. Probably a payback for NOT getting one for Love Me or Leave ME which she DID deserve!

You know, I've never seen Love Me or Leave Me, but I do think Doris was absolutely nomination-worthy  in Calamity Jane, which was likely seen as a carbon copy of Annie Get Your Gun only three years after the fact.

I know one year after Pillow Talk, her husband launched a BIG Oscar campaign for Midnight Lace. It didn't pay off...although it is easily the biggest laugh riot she ever appeared in.

ps- I so hate the new quoting system.

Edited by LornaHansonForbes

You know, I've never seen Love Me or Leave Me, but I do think Doris was absolutely nomination-worthy  in Calamity Jane, which was likely seen as a carbon copy of Annie Get Your Gun only three years after the fact.

I agree (Doris Day's Pillow Talk ) nomination was puzzling. Probably a payback for NOT getting one for Love Me or Leave ME which she DID deserve!

I know one year after Pillow Talk, her husband launched a BIG Oscar campaign for Midnight Lace. It didn't pay off...although it is easily the biggest laugh riot she ever appeared in.

The quoting system can get really confusing since one is allowed to post comments in the quote box making it hard to tell what was the 'quote' and what is the new text.   

This 'feature' also allows one to alter what someone posted.   Yea,  that is useful since one can reduce the size of the quote, but it can also be misused.

This 'feature' also allows one to alter what someone posted.   Yea,  that is useful since one can reduce the size of the quote, but it can also be misused.

Couldn't that happen before?  Or could you just only copy snippets?

Sorry, I was too lazy to erase part of the quote and responded after the quote I was referring to. I hate that you cant respond to the person w/out quoting and then are faced with editing it which can take some time on long quotes.

I agree Midnight Lace is hardly Oscar worthy in any sense..........

I watched Seconds last night. That is, I watched the first 45 minutes or so, fell asleep and missed a key sequence about the Nora character, and then woke up and watched the rest  of it, including the chilling horrific ending.

(I realized that, while I frequently stay up til 2 - which means I can watch a movie that starts at 12 and ends at 2 a.m. - it's a very different thing for me to try and watch one which starts at 2 (2:15, to be exact). I just can't stay awake through an entire film that starts in the middle of the night. 

I'm going into all this because I want to make it clear, I did not fall asleep out of boredom - I did not find Seconds boring - but because although I'm a late night person, I'm not an extreme early morning person. I'd have fallen asleep if it'd been the most exciting movie ever made -whatever that might be.,,,thread idea?)

I'm interested in getting other people's take on this film. The ending was one of the most disturbing I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of disturbing movies.

But then, this is a John Frankenheimer film; he doesn't exactly have a canon of work that you'd take your kids to. Or your mother, for that matter.

I have a couple of thoughts about Seconds, but I'd like to hear if others have seen it (either last night or some other time) and what their ideas about it are.

I watched Seconds last night. That is, I watched the first 45 minutes or so, fell asleep and missed a key sequence about the Nora character, and then woke up and watched the rest  of it, including the chilling horrific ending.

(I realized that, while I frequently stay up til 2 - which means I can watch a movie that starts at 12 and ends at 2 a.m. - it's a very different thing for me to try and watch one which starts at 2 (2:15, to be exact). I just can't stay awake through an entire film that starts in the middle of the night. 

I'm going into all this because I want to make it clear, I did not fall asleep out of boredom - I did not find Seconds boring - but because although I'm a late night person, I'm not an extreme early morning person. I'd have fallen asleep if it'd been the most exciting movie ever made -whatever that might be.,,,thread idea?)

I'm interested in getting other people's take on this film. The ending was one of the most disturbing I've ever seen - and I've seen a lot of disturbing movies.

But then, this is a John Frankenheimer film; he doesn't exactly have a canon of work that you'd take your kids to. Or your mother, for that matter.

I have a couple of thoughts about Seconds, but I'd like to hear if others have seen it (either last night or some other time) and what their ideas about it are.

I had to miss both Seconds (which I saw once a long time ago) and Pretty Maids. Didnt have enough space to record either. I've never seen Maids and have always wanted to see it, but whenver TCM runs it, its late at night and I usually dont have space on the dvr or something. Is it really that racy? (who uses that term anymore? LOL)

I've never seen Maids and have always wanted to see it, but whenver TCM runs it, its late at night and I usually dont have space on the dvr or something. Is it really that racy? (who uses that term anymore? LOL)

Yes

I'm a big fan of Seconds. One of the best American films of the 60s. Frankenheimer's direction is sensational. Look at how the opening is framed and cut. Original and unsettling.

Many people consider this Rock Hudson's best performance. He seems to be using his own inner turmoil about the perfect image he had to present and the person he really was. I particularly like his scene with Frances Reid, the wife who no longer recognizes him.

Yes, the scene with the former wife is very revealing. The conversation they have -or rather, the brief monologue the "widowed" Mrs. Hamilton shares with "Tony Wilson" - tells a lot about Hamilton's character and past history (or rather, lack of any kind of history.)

It's actually a heart-breaking scene, because the "reborn" Arthur Hamilton realizes, listening to his wife muse on how uncommunicative and closed to new experiences he was, that he could have changed his life for the better without undergoing the bizarre and claustrophobic experience he submitted himself to.

And the wife, who until that point had just appeared as a cypher in the film, a boring, unemotional, disconnected object in his "home life" who meant next to nothing to him, because he perceived her that way, demonstrates that she is in fact warm, perceptive, and intelligent. Perhaps a little honest conversation between the Hamiltons before he opted out would have given him the "rebirth " he craved without the price he had to pay for it.

• Like 2