Sign in to follow this  
Kid Dabb

Name your bottom five worst war films ever

15 posts in this topic

# 1. I know lots of people probably like this one, but not me - The Longest Day (1962)

For me, the whole feel of this film is "off" somehow and the length of 178 (?) minutes is just too much for comfortable viewing. I sat through this at least twice and just don't have what it takes to make another go of it.

Still working on #'s 2-5

Warbirds (2008)

From IMDB:

"In the midst of World War 2, an OSS officer leads a group of female pilots on a mission to deliver a secret weapon, only to crash land on an island in the Pacific after an encounter with a deadly storm. On the island, they must not only contend with a small band of Japanese soldiers but the native inhabitants of the island as well - vicious prehistoric pterosaurs."

Warbirds (2008)

From IMDB:

"In the midst of World War 2, an OSS officer leads a group of female pilots on a mission to deliver a secret weapon, only to crash land on an island in the Pacific after an encounter with a deadly storm. On the island, they must not only contend with a small band of Japanese soldiers but the native inhabitants of the island as well - vicious prehistoric pterosaurs."

That sounds like it's right out of the fabulous 50s.. without Doug McClure -

and that may be why it's truly bad.

:lol:

There is no worse war movie than the 1984 dud of really dumb duds RED DAWN.  Just plain embarrassingly bad.  #2 through #5 are the simple minded and absurd RAMBO messes.  Is their a worse actor than Sylvester Stallone?  Nyet, there is not.

If I remember this one correctly, this should be my second worst ever war film (I'm trying to stick to WWI, WWII and Korean).

# 2. Submarine Command (1951) with William Holden, William Bendix, Nancy Olson and Don Taylor

I cannot remember if it was just an action film or a war movie, but 1953's Rogue's March was very dreary.

I can't recall having seen this one. The cast listing looks pretty good, though - not good enough, eh?

wiki has this to say: Rogue's March is a 1952 film.. Period.

That's it! It MUST be a dog.

Pearl Harbor (2001) is on my list too.. 

So far, my list:

The Longest Day (1962)

Submarine Command (1951)

Rogue's March (1952) - by description only.. haven't seen it

Pearl Harbor (2001)

I know this might be a controversial choice,

but I cannot stand Apocalypse Now.  The absolute most boring movie I have ever seen.

I agree that Pearl Harbor was pretty cheesy.  Josh Harnett, during his 5 minutes of fame, was a terrible actor.

Bad war movies? Lets just say these movies don't get air time in my castle. One time was enough.

:wacko:

Wind Talkers

Jarhead

The Thin Red Line

Four Lions

Pearl Harbor

Full Metal Jacket

Fury (Sahara, (1943) is a superior movie made during ww2.)

:blink:

There might be some elements that were good. Overall not good enough IMHO

Apocalypse Now is also one I had a terrible time getting through. It could have been much shorter and I think they could have cut nearly the whole, if not all of, the Brando sequence.

Beach Red with Cornell Wilde is pretty lame. They had a big cast and lost of battles but they also had these dream sequences of life back home and there was nothing WWII about them. All around just lousy.

# 1. I know lots of people probably like this one, but not me - The Longest Day (1962)

For me, the whole feel of this film is "off" somehow and the length of 178 (?) minutes is just too much for comfortable viewing. I sat through this at least twice and just don't have what it takes to make another go of it.

Still working on #'s 2-5

Isn't this the one where, right in the middle of the D Day invasion with bullets flying, these officers sit down and have a meeting right there on the beach ? With not a care in the world  :lol: 

I haven't seen a ton of war movies, it's not typically my favorite genre.  However, I'll watch if the storyline sounds intriguing enough or if the film is highly acclaimed and I feel like I need to watch it just so I can say I did.

I don't think there is a film that I hate more than Apocalypse Now.  It was long, boring and tedious.  It was one of those films where I watched it and after it was (finally) over, I thought "What did I just watch? I have no idea what happened."  That is not a good sentiment to have after watching a ten hour movie (or however long it really is).  

The 2001 film Pearl Harbor was pretty bad.

I also really hated Birth of a Nation (1915).  I realize it's importance in the terms of film history, but this movie was horrible. 

MASH (1970).  The show is fine, but the movie was so boring.  I hated it.  

Memphis Belle (1990).  We had to watch this movie in high school instead of the planned Saving Private Ryan, because we had one student whose parent objected to the graphic violence of 'Private Ryan,', so this film was selected to replace the original film in the curriculum.  I have since seen 'Private Ryan,' and I would have much rather seen this film instead of 'Belle.' 'Belle' seemed like an amalgamation of every war movie cliche.  

Still working on #'s 2-5

Didn't this movie have Frankie Avalon in it.

I don't really have five, but I can say what my #1 would be: Pearl Harbor, no question. The film is practically an insult to the U.S. Military, as well as history in my book, and mind you, I DETEST Michael Bay.