Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"She" (1935)/(1965)

11 posts in this topic

The 1935 production is a lot more fun but the 1965 had a truly gorgeous Andress as the-one- who- must-be-obeyed. Hammer really spent the money on this one and it shows.  I'm surprised someone hasn't talked Angelina Jolie to star in a new version- it could be set in outer space..."Space-She"

The 1935 production is a lot more fun but the 1965 had a truly gorgeous Andress as the-one- who- must-be-obeyed. Hammer really spent the money on this one and it shows.  I'm surprised someone hasn't talked Angelina Jolie to star in a new version- it could be set in outer space..."Space-She"

It's been a while since I have seen the '35 version, and I wish TCM would play it again.  I liked Andress in the remake, and I agree that Jolie (or even Charlize Theron) would be good in a modern update.

Come to think of it, I am surprised the guys responsible for the AIRPLANE! and NAKED GUN! movies never spoofed it.  It sure is ripe for the picking.

• Like 1

The 1935 version is more like a serial- there are some spectacular effects like the avalanche- but I love the art deco production design and the Flash Gordon like costumes.

• Like 2

The 1935 version is more like a serial- there are some spectacular effects like the avalanche- but I love the art deco production design and the Flash Gordon like costumes.

Maybe since Flash Gordon and the other serials came afterward, they were inspired by the '35 version of SHE. It certainly is a stunning piece of filmmaking. And it's a wonder that Helen Gahagan Douglas never made any more movies.

• Like 1

I had forgotten Randolph Scott was in the 1935 version. It must not be in the TCM library since it does not air. I watched it as a disc rental from Netflix.

• Like 1

I prefer the 1935 version with Randolph Scott and Helen Gahagan Douglas.

It is truly spectacular.

Yes...by far, the best production of this classic story. A colorized 1935 version is on Hulu. 

• Like 1

Yes...by far, the best production of this classic story. A colorized 1935 version is on Hulu. 

The colorized version is horrible- I saw it on DVD which you could switch from the B&W to the color - I stayed with the black and white.

TCM really should run it

• Like 2

The colorized version is horrible- I saw it on DVD which you could switch from the B&W to the color - I stayed with the black and white.

TCM really should run it

Yes...I don't understand why they don't.

• Like 1

Yes...I don't understand why they don't.

Will we ever get a modern-day "She"?

Although Ursula Andress was "hot, hot, hot", I prefer Helen Gahagan Douglas.

• Like 1