TopBilled

It happened on this day

531 posts in this topic

june ninth

2rd.png

1934: Donald Duck makes his debut as a supporting character in the short film ‘The Wise Little Hen.’ Clarence Nash voices the character in the 8 minute Technicolor production.

1951: The Doodles Weaver Show debuts on TV.

1958: Sheb Wooley's 'Purple People Eater' is the number one pop song.

1958: Robert Donat has died at 53 in London. The award-winning actor was known for THE 39 STEPS; GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (for which he earned an Oscar); and THE CITADEL. Cause of death: a chronic asthma attack.

Tomorrow: A Hollywood legend in trouble...

A very momentous day for Disney: Donald Duck turns 80!

I love Donald Duck.  He's my favorite of the main Disney characters. He also starred in one of my favorite Disney cartoons, The Three Cabelleros.  He also appeared in probably the greatest math-related cartoon ever: Donald Duck in Math Magic Land.  I even danced with him at Disneyland during the Halloween Party!

Happy Birthday Donald!

• Like 1

One eyed, one horned flying purple people eater... I was 9 or 10 at the time, and loved the song!

june tenth

2cap.jpg

1935: Alcoholics Anonymous is founded in New York City. A decade later Ray Milland will get rave reviews and an Oscar for his work as an alcoholic in the Paramount drama THE LOST WEEKEND.

1943: Charlie Chaplin has had to pay former lover Joan Berry $2500 plus $100 weekly and $4600 in medical bills during her pregnancy. He is still denying that he is the father of her unborn child.  Says he will take a blood test when the baby is four months old.

1945: ‘Captain from Castile’ is tops on the bestseller list.  It will be made into a motion picture by 20th Century Fox, starring Tyrone Power.

1956: Mr. & Mrs. Arthur Miller are in Reno, waiting out a divorce.  Miller has been inspired by his surroundings to write a story for girlfriend Marilyn Monroe.

1963: Actress Jeanne Tripplehorn, known for her roles in BASIC INSTINCT and WATERWORLD, is born in Tulsa on this day.

1965: Model-actress Elizabeth Hurley is born in Basingstoke, Hampshire, England. She will be named as one of the 100 sexiest women of the world in 2005, at the age of 40.

1972: ‘The Candy Man,’ performed by Sammy Davis Jr., is the number one pop song in the U.S.

1985: Claus von Bulow is acquitted on charges he tried to murder his wife, socialite Sunny von Bulow. In 1990, Jeremy Irons and Glenn Close appear as the couple in the Warner Brothers picture REVERSAL OF FORTUNE. Irons receives the Best Actor Oscar for his performance as Claus von Bulow.

Tomorrow: A femme fatale weds her fourth husband.

1943: Charlie Chaplin has had to pay former lover Joan Berry $2500 plus $100 weekly and $4600 in medical bills during her pregnancy. He is still denying that he is the father of her unborn child.  Says he will take a blood test when the baby is four months old.

You will have to inform us of the outcome four months from now

1972: ‘The Candy Man,’ performed by Sammy Davis Jr., is the number one pop song in the U.S.

One of the dark days. . . .

Tomorrow: A femme fatale weds her fourth husband.

Kinda slow, ain't she?

He also appeared in probably the greatest math-related cartoon ever: Donald Duck in Math Magic Land.

You mean I'm not the only one who remembers this marvelous film?

You will have to inform us of the outcome four months from now

The baby was not born until October, and the blood test was not done immediately-- there were quite a few twists and turns in the paternity suit, and I will cover all the developments. Even long after her involvement with Chaplin has ended, Joan Berry continued to live a drama-filled life and make news.  

june eleventh

2et.jpg

1937: The Marx Brothers comedy A DAY AT THE RACES premieres. Like their previous feature at MGM, this one is bound to be a big hit with audiences.

1940: Italians have attacked Malta. Dramatic reenactments and combat footage of British forces protecting the island can be seen in 1952’s MALTA STORY.

1947: Sugar rationing is now over in the U.S., two years after World War II.  MGM previously spoofed the situation in the comedy RATIONING, with Wallace Beery and Marjorie Main.

1951: Hedy Lamarr has announced her plans to marry a nightclub owner in West Los Angeles. It will be the fourth marriage for the Austrian-born actress.  She is the mother of two children.

1956: Arthur Miller is divorced from his wife after sixteen years of marriage. The couple has two children.  Miller plans to marry Marilyn Monroe in a few weeks.

1959: The Postmaster General has banned ‘Lady Chatterley’s Lover’ from being sent in the mail. The book, now with its complete text restored, was originally published back in 1928 with certain abridgements. Other censorship problems occurred when the book was made into a motion picture in 1955 and not allowed exhibition in New York.

1963: Dr. Martin Luther King has been arrested in Florida for trying to integrate restaurants. Also, blacks cannot register at the University of Alabama.  President Kennedy says that racial segregation needs to end.  Less than a year later in Santa Monica, California, the Academy of Motion Arts & Sciences will award Sidney Poitier a Best Actor Oscar for his work in LILIES OF THE FIELD.

1982: E.T. premieres.

1993: JURASSIC PARK premieres.  Apparently, June 11 is a lucky day for director Steven Spielberg whose greatest hit films seem to have been released on this day.

2001: Timothy McVeigh has been executed in Terre Haute, Indiana at age 33. It is learned that the Oklahoma bomber’s favorite movie was RED DAWN.

2002: American Idol debuts on the Fox television network.

2004: Ronald Reagan’s funeral is taking place today at Washington National Cathedral. The actor-politician passed away on June 5 from pneumonia and Alzheimer’s Disease. He was 93.

Tomorrow: A popular athlete turned movie star is embroiled in a double homicide.

You forgot one.

June 11, 1967: Actor Spencer Tracy dies in Los Angeles, just days after completing his final film, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".

You forgot one.

June 11, 1967: Actor Spencer Tracy dies in Los Angeles, just days after completing his final film, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner".

Thanks, Rick!

june twelfth

2cyc.jpg

1930: Television star Jim Nabors, better known to millions as Gomer Pyle, is born on this day in Sylacauga, Alabama.

1931: Al Capone has been indicted for violating Prohibition. Rod Steiger will reenact scenes from Capone’s life in a 1959 biopic.

1939: Shooting begins on DR. CYCLOPS, the first horror film in three-strip Technicolor.  Paramount is producing with Albert Dekker in the title role.

1949: ‘Cheaper by the Dozen’ is tops on the bestseller list and will be made into a motion picture by 20th Century Fox starring Clifton Webb, Myrna Loy and Jeanne Crain.

1951: As reported yesterday, Hedy Lamarr has said ‘I do’ for the fourth time. A few years since her break-up with John Loder, Hedy is now focused on being happy with nightclub owner Teddy Stauffer. But the union will last only a year, and Hedy will go on to have two more husbands.

1952: Former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt has authored introductory remarks for ‘Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl.’ The book, published today on what would have been Anne’s 23rd birthday, will be made into a major motion picture by 20th Century Fox, directed by George Stevens.  Millie Perkins will play Anne.

1955: Singer Billy Daniels has been cleared in connection with a recent shooting. The Jacksonville, Florida native has been under contract to Columbia Pictures, appearing in recent musicals like SUNNY SIDE OF THE STREET and CRUISIN’ DOWN THE RIVER.

1967: The Supreme Court has ruled in Loving v. Virginia that laws prohibiting interracial marriage are not valid.  GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER just wrapped production on May 24 and will open on December 12.

1971: Tricia Nixon and Edward Cox have been married at the White House.  Fred Grandy, Gopher on TV’s Love Boat, is best man.

1978: David Berkowitz has been sentenced in New York to 365 years in prison for six murders. The serial killer, known as Son of Sam, terrorized young couples in their cars with a gun at point blank. He later admitted that a neighbor’s dog barked at him the commands to kill (the dog was possessed by Satan). Director Spike Lee will make SUMMER OF SAM in 1999, in which the Berkowitz tragedy plays out in the background.

1994: Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman have been murdered in Los Angeles.  O.J. Simpson has been charged with the deaths. His last film, NAKED GUN 33 1/3: THE FINAL INSULT, opened in March.

Tomorrow: A well-known European director learns that his latest film has been banned in the U.S.

june thirteenth

2babe.jpg

1945: Top musical hits include ‘Sentimental Journey,’ ‘Bell Bottom Trousers’ and ‘There! I’ve Said It Again.’

1948: Babe Ruth makes his final appearance at Yankee Stadium.  The legendary athlete will be dead in two months. In September, THE BABE RUTH STORY will hit movie screens, starring William Bendix and Claire Trevor.

1949: George Orwell’s novel 1984 has been published.  Edmond O’Brien and Michael Redgrave will costar in a 1956 film adaptation, produced by Columbia Pictures.

1951: Richard Thomas, John-Boy of The Waltons, is born in New York City.  He will make his television debut at age seven in a Hallmark Hall of Fame production.

1952: Max Ophuls has run into trouble with the censors. His latest European film LA RONDE has been banned in New York. An appeal to exhibit the film has been unsuccessful.

1953: Tim Allen, of TV’s Home Improvement and countless family films, is born in Denver, Colorado.

1956:  ‘Shangri-La’ has opened on Broadway, but the reviews are anything but good. The musical, about a patrol station along the mountain plains of the Himalayas, features Jack Cassidy and Carol Lawrence. It will run for 21 performances and close by the end of the month.

1967: President Johnson has nominated Solicitor General Thurgood Marshall to become the first black justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.  In 2011, Laurence Fishburne will appear in the TV movie Thurgood.

1981: A teenager has fired six blank shoots at Queen Elizabeth. Marcus Sarjeant, age 17, has told investigators he wanted to be famous.  The former Boy Scout sent a letter to a magazine that included a picture of him with his father’s gun, and another letter to Buckingham Palace that said ‘Your Majesty…there is an assassin set up to kill you, waiting just outside the palace.’ However, the letter to the queen would not arrive until three days after the shooting incident. The fantasy assassin (as he was known in England) would be found mentally competent to stand trial and prosecuted for treason. Is that enough fame for you?

Tomorrow: A teen idol graduates…

june fourteenth

2jim.jpg

1938: The first issue of Superman, by Action Comics, appears. George Reeves would star in a television version, and Christopher Reeve would play the man of steel on the big screen in 1978.

1942: BAMBI is released by Walt Disney.

1947: Life with Father sets a record on Broadway with 3,183 consecutive performances. In September the film version will hit screens starring William Powell and Irene Dunne.

1950: KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS premieres.

1953: Elvis Presley graduates from high school in Tennessee. Three years later he will make his film debut in LOVE ME TENDER.

1962: Albert DeSalvo kills his first victim. Tony Curtis would play him in 1968, in 20th Century Fox’s version of THE BOSTON STRANGLER.

1976: The Gong Show premieres in first-run syndication.

1989: Carol King gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

2010: Jimmy Dean dies in Virginia at age 81. The country legend appeared in a film inspired by his biggest hit, BIG BAD JOHN. 

Tomorrow: British rock stars meet in a most unusual place…

june fifteenth

2ron.jpg

1945: MGM’s Judy Garland marries director Vincente Minnelli.  It’s Judy’s second marriage, and it will last almost six years. She would have three more husbands.

1950: Recording and film star Frankie Laine is married to actress Nan Grey in Hollywood. It is Laine’s first marriage, and Grey’s second. The couple will remain together for over 43 years, until her death.

1953: The Crucible and Picnic are named the best plays on Broadway.

1955: The Eisenhower administration stages its first drills to determine the USA's preparedness for a nuclear attack. A false alarm is depicted in the film LADYBUG LADYBUG, with school children.

1956: John Lennon and Paul McCartney meet for the first time at a church dinner.

1969: Hee Haw debuts on CBS.

1973: AMERICAN GRAFFITI premieres in New York.

1989: Former President Ronald Reagan is knighted by Queen Elizabeth in London.

Tomorrow: an iconic TV star decides to end it all…

june fifteenth

Tomorrow: an iconic TV star decides to end it all…

Lemme guess here, TB!

Should I..ahem.."Look! Up in the sky!", to watch this one coming??? ;)

• Like 1

Lemme guess here, TB!

Should I..ahem.."Look! Up in the sky!", to watch this one coming??? ;)

Good guess.  That crystal ball Professor Marvel sold you works very well!

Good guess.  That crystal ball Professor Marvel sold you works very well!

Yep, and after I thought of George, I immediately went to his Wiki page to confirm what I thought.

(...btw, I remember like it was yesterday the day in my second grade class when after little Randy Marley told us that Superman had shot himself, the general consensus among my peers was that there just HAD to have been some Kryptonite laying around in close proximity to him at the time for THAT to have happened!!!)  

Yep, and after I thought of George, I immediately went to his Wiki page to confirm what I thought.

(...btw, I remember like it was yesterday the day in my second grade class when after little Randy Marley told us that Superman had shot himself, the general consensus among my peers was that there just HAD to be some Kryptonite laying around in close proximity to him at the time for THAT to have happened!!!)  

Yes-- he was obviously so wrapped up in his grief to not realize what impact his death would have on the children who idolized him. I never saw his show, because it was not in syndication in the 80s when I was growing up-- and in fact, to this day, the only time I have seen him in costume is in the I Love Lucy episode where he guest stars.  Some of his B films from Warner Brothers made in the early 40s, air on TCM, as well as GONE WITH THE WIND, but his role is very minor. 

Oh you poor kid! Born too late, EH?! ;)

I was GLUED to that old Philco 17in TV set whenever this version of The Man of Steel was broadcast, and can STILL hum its stirring theme song to this very day!

(...and don't forget George's turn on Oahu in a film that depicts the goings-on just before and after December 7, 1941, too)

• Like 1

Oh you poor kid! Born too late, EH?! ;)

I was GLUED to that old Philco 17in TV set whenever this version of The Man of Steel was broadcast, and can STILL hum its stirring theme song to this very day!

(...and don't forget George's turn on Oahu in a film that depicts the goings-on just before and after December 7, 1941, too)

And when I was a kid, it was VHS (not DVD) so we couldn't buy the entire series of a show on DVD that was not in reruns. I never saw the show in syndication, ever. I did watch the one with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, but I am sure it was not the same.

I definitely am not one of those who sees "conspiracy" lurking in every shadow but is it that certain that George's death was a suicide?  This is  one of those happenings that has a number of unanswered questions. And it appears highly unlikely that we the public will ever really know the truth.    .  By the way George had a small, but highly visible role in the Cagney film THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE .

Exactly one year from today it will be the 800th anniversary of King John signing the Magna Carta. I don't remember Claude Rains doing that in the movie (Robin Hood) , that scene must have been cut.

• Like 1

Exactly one year from today it will be the 800th anniversary of King John signing the Magna Carta. I don't remember Claude Rains doing that in the movie (Robin Hood) , that scene must have been cut.

I dunno what you're talkin' about here, Mr.R?!

I distinctly remember Rains at one point in that movie saying to those noblemen who had him at sword point...

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that you want me to sign this document!"

(...yeah, I knew you saw that one comin', didn't ya?!) ;)

I definitely am not one of those who sees "conspiracy" lurking in every shadow but is it that certain that George's death was a suicide?  This is  one of those happenings that has a number of unanswered questions. And it appears highly unlikely that we the public will ever really know the truth.    .  By the way George had a small, but highly visible role in the Cagney film THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE .

True, Mr.R.

But then again you have to remember, TB isn't old enough to remember not ONLY the day Superman died but JFK TOO!

(...NOT to mentioned that the poor puppy missed out on watchin' The Beatles hit the Ed Sullivan stage TOO the first time around!!!) ;)

• Like 1

Dargo, I believe that I was being potty trained around the time of George's unfortunate demise.  My Superman viewing was exclusively through the rerun process. Just like Broderick Crawford's HIGHWAY PATROL . :)