20 posts in this topic

This week, I have been watching the Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney movies on TCM with great interest.  Up until this point, I had no idea of the real magnitude of her stardom, or her exquisite presence on the big screen.

I had always considered Judy Garland as a wonderful talent, but until now, I really did not dig deep into her mystique, her sensuality and her overall charm on the screen.

Thanks TCM for bringing great movies to all, and allowing the true movie giants to once again be seen!

• Like 1

I know what you mean! Judy Garland was much more than a talented singer and actress! She was a dancer, and was very kind and funny to those around her (from what I read; and I believe it). Some of Judy Garland's best movies: The Wizard of Oz, The Harvey Girls (my personal favorite of hers!), Summer Stock, In the Good Old Summertime, and For Me and My Gal. She is great in Till the Clouds Roll By as well! I need to see Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, The Pirate, and A Star is Born, among others.

It was said she and Lana Turner were great friends. One day Judy walked by Lana, and Lana turned to someone and said, I wish I had as much talent as Judy. Later on Judy said to the same middle person, I wish I had half of Lana's beauty. Which is odd, because Judy Garland was very attractive in a unique way; a shame she never appreciated herself. Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

I love Judy Garland. She was a very unique talent in Hollywood. It's a shame that she had such a sad life. Constantly being used and abused by the people closest to her. It's amazing that she was able to function well enough and at such a high level that she left behind this fantastic legacy of music and her films.

My favorite Garland film is probably Meet Me in St. Louis, but I love so many of her other films:

The Clock. A rare Garland film in which she doesn't sing. However, it shows off the range of her acting skills and it is just a very sweet, simple film. Sometimes the films that aren't trying hard to impress and simply focus on telling a good story are the best films of all.

The three films she made with Gene Kelly: The Pirate, For Me and My Gal and Summer Stock.

Easter Parade with Fred Astaire. She was supposed to co-star with Kelly, but he broke his ankle and coaxed friend Astaire out of retirement to take his place.

The Harvey Girls

Presenting Lily Mars

A Star is Born

The Wizard of Oz (I enjoy this film and it's probably Garland's most popular film, but I enjoy her other films more. Maybe it's because I've seen this movie a billion times.)

I'll admit that I'm not a big Mickey Rooney fan (I find him annoying) so I don't watch his films with Judy as often. I will say that Judy's presence in the film makes it worthwhile. If he co-starred with anyone else but Judy or by himself, I probably wouldn't even give these films a second thought.

Paul, you may be interested to know that in April, TCM will be featuring Judy Garland as the SOTM.

• Like 2

I love Judy Garland.  She was a very unique talent in Hollywood.  It's a shame that she had such a sad life.  Constantly being used and abused by the people closest to her.  It's amazing that she was able to function well enough and at such a high level that she left behind this fantastic legacy of music and her films.  

My favorite Garland film is probably Meet Me in St. Louis, but I love so many of her other films:

The Clock.  A rare Garland film in which she doesn't sing.  However, it shows off the range of her acting skills and it is just a very sweet, simple film.  Sometimes the films that aren't trying hard to impress and simply focus on telling a good story are the best films of all.

The three films she made with Gene Kelly: The Pirate, For Me and My Gal and Summer Stock.

Easter Parade with Fred Astaire.  She was supposed to co-star with Kelly, but he broke his ankle and coaxed friend Astaire out of retirement to take his place.  

The Harvey Girls

Presenting Lily Mars

A Star is Born

The Wizard of Oz (I enjoy this film and it's probably Garland's most popular film, but I enjoy her other films more.  Maybe it's because I've seen this movie a billion times.)

I'll admit that I'm not a big Mickey Rooney fan (I find him annoying) so I don't watch his films with Judy as often.  I will admit that Judy's presence in the film makes it worthwhile.  If he co-starred with anyone else but Judy or by himself, I probably wouldn't even give these films a second thought.

Paul, you may be interested to know that in April, TCM will be featuring Judy Garland as the SOTM.

I completely agree with you, there will never be another Judy Garland, ever! Thank you for the SOTM Tip!!!! Can't wait for April!!

Paul1992--Look out for the cameos Garland did in "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946) ("A Great Lady Has An Interview") where Garland appears to be having a grand time parodying one of MGM's female stars, and in "Words and Music" (1948) where she and Mickey Rooney sing "I Wish I Were In Love Again", and she solos on "Johnny One-Note".  You may want to just go from musical number to musical number in WaM--the music is the saving grace of that film, IMHO.

• Like 1

I completely agree with you, there will never be another Judy Garland, ever! Thank you for the SOTM Tip!!!! Can't wait for April!!

Check out Get-TV.   Each Monday they show the Judy Garland T.V. show from 1963. Great guest stars often her co-stars from her films.  This is a must see for fans of Judy (and aren't we all fans!).   

• Like 2

Judy Garland is my favourite female singer of all time.

(Frank Sinatra is my favourite male singer of all time)

My opinion of what my favourite movies of hers changes all the time.

I watch A Star is Born the most often, I think.

I see Meet Me In St. Louis every Christmas and Halloween.

Re:  Mickey Rooney - I can't seem to separate the two of them from my thoughts.  In one of the last years before he died, he opened up the Cultural Centre where I live in a Grand opening ceremony and tickets were well above my ability to pay them.  He couldn't sing by then, but I heard from people who were in attendance he was enthralling when he started to talk about his old days in Hollywood.  I know which dressing room was his.  I wish I could have seen it.

• Like 1

Hello all. I absolutely love judy.  I have been a fan and, I've collected memorabilia on her for almost 45 years.  I especially love the young Judy; the films and recordings she did before the WIZARD OF OZ are quite unique.  Remember, she was only 13 years old when she signed at MGM in 1936 and the radio recordings and early movies are quite astonishing considering she was so very young. 

I need to comment about the thought that Judy felt she was not glamorous or pretty.  This 'idea' was MGMs fault.  According to Liza, they told her she was not pretty.  But, I disagree.  Take a look at LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY next month; a movie with Judy, Lana Turner and Ann Rutherford.  This is probably the best Andy Hardy film, with great songs by Judy in her early years.  I don't want to give away the plot for those of you who may not have seen it, but in the last 15 minutes of the film, judy is glamorous.

As for Judy's sense of humor-- anyone that knew her would tell you this is very true.  some examples: Lucille Ball was once quoted stating she was nothing compared to how funny Judy was; ALso, She worked briefly with Patty Duke on VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, a film which judy signed up for but at the end did not do.  Recently Patty Duke talked about the few days she spent with Judy and said Judy was very funny and constantly made her laugh. 

A really great example of Judy's sense of humor comes out on her 1962 appearance on the Jack Paar show, now available on YOUTUBE.  Here is the link:

If I had to name a favorite film (aside from OZ), i think it would be FOR ME AND MY GAL.  Judy is just terrific; her performance is great, and every single song is a show-stopper.  Of the Mickey Rooney films, GIRL CRAZY stands out. And Pre-Wizard of Oz, i think EVERYBODY SING is terrific; and she's in almost every scene (and you get to see the real Fanny Brice).

As for recordings, all the early DECCA recordings are available on a 4CD set, the complete masters at decca.  Great stuff there including alternate takes, and very rare recordings including I'M JUST WILD ABOUT HARRY.  This song was recorded for Decca in 1939 but rejected and not released.  Then, in 1943 there was a musicians strike and no new records were being recorded.  the gods at Decca went to their shelves and found three Judy Garland singles that were never released:  "Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart", "Fascinating Rhythm" and "I'm Just Wild About Harry".  Decca released the first two of these Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart", "Fascinating Rhythm" in the United States, and in London they released  "Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart", and "I'm Just Wild About Harry" on the Brunswick (decca's counterpart in the UK) label.  So, for many years, fans in the USA did not hear this studio recording of I'M JUST WILD ABOUT HARRY.  A few people (like me) had an audio tape, and finally in 1985-ish a vinyl LP was released that included the song.  But its nice to have it on CD now; great early recording of judy.

And just recently the CD set "judy garland best of the lost tracks" was released; this includes many radio recordings including BROADWAY RHYTHM and ZING!... both from the Wallace Beery radio show.  I think these two recordings are the best of the early Judy years. the legendary recording of Judy (before MGM) singing MY BILL is also on this cd set.  Thought to have been lost many many years ago, it turned up and is on this great cd set.

More later; i'll be watching the Star of the Month in april.

• Like 5

I'm glad to see this topic is growing! Thank you to everybody for the tips and suggestions on Judy Garland films/channels to watch them! DickLindsay, you're right MGM treated her like crap; its ironic because she was much more beautiful than the 'glamour girls' they were comparing her to. (Not to diminish them either, but lets face it!)

MGM edited out this song from "The Harvey Girls" (1946) because film was running too long.  Song is called "My Intuition"; Garland and Hodiak duet here. First notes of song can be heard in underscoring at 1:25 mark: vocals begin around 2:00 mark.

• Like 1

MGM edited out this song from "The Harvey Girls" (1946) because film was running too long.  Song is called "My Intuition"; Garland and Hodiak duet here. First notes of song can be heard in underscoring at 1:25 mark: vocals begin around 2:00 mark.

I'm glad I have The Harvey Girls DVD, I can view it! I love this movie!! Thanks for posting it!!

They also cut out (from The Harvey Girls) was March of the Doagies, and March of the Doagies Reprise (couldn't find the reprise on youtube):

• Like 1

It always saddens me that Judy had all the problems she had.  So many films would have benefited from her presence, GYPSY, HELLO, DOLLY! and MAME come immediately to mind

• Like 1

It always saddens me that Judy had all the problems she had.  So many films would have benefited from her presence, GYPSY, HELLO, DOLLY! and MAME come immediately to mind

Judy playing Natalie's mother in Gypsy probably would have been the greatest thing ever! (Nothing against Rosalind Russell, she did fine).

I adore Judy Garland, too.  I've seen every single movie that she has made.  I love so many of her films, so it's hard for me to pick a favorite. 

In addition to being a wonderful singer, she was also a great actress and dancer.  It seems like her acting and dancing skills tend to get overlooked....which is a shame.  She could do both drama and comedy so well.  She could also keep up with some of the best dancers in the business.

Hello all. I absolutely love judy.  I have been a fan and, I've collected memorabilia on her for almost 45 years.  I especially love the young Judy; the films and recordings she did before the WIZARD OF OZ are quite unique.  Remember, she was only 13 years old when she signed at MGM in 1936 and the radio recordings and early movies are quite astonishing considering she was so very young. 

You must have quite a collection, DickLindsay.  Do you have any photos to share of your Judy Garland memorabilia? 

You must have quite a collection, DickLindsay.  Do you have any photos to share of your Judy Garland memorabilia? 

I second the motion for some photos. That must be an extensive and amazing collection. :)

On Monday, February 29, 2016 at 11:52 PM, speedracer5 said:

I love Judy Garland. She was a very unique talent in Hollywood. It's a shame that she had such a sad life. Constantly being used and abused by the people closest to her. It's amazing that she was able to function well enough and at such a high level that she left behind this fantastic legacy of music and her films.

My favorite Garland film is probably Meet Me in St. Louis, but I love so many of her other films:

The Clock. A rare Garland film in which she doesn't sing. However, it shows off the range of her acting skills and it is just a very sweet, simple film. Sometimes the films that aren't trying hard to impress and simply focus on telling a good story are the best films of all.

The three films she made with Gene Kelly: The Pirate, For Me and My Gal and Summer Stock.

Easter Parade with Fred Astaire. She was supposed to co-star with Kelly, but he broke his ankle and coaxed friend Astaire out of retirement to take his place.

The Harvey Girls

Presenting Lily Mars

A Star is Born

The Wizard of Oz (I enjoy this film and it's probably Garland's most popular film, but I enjoy her other films more. Maybe it's because I've seen this movie a billion times.)

I'll admit that I'm not a big Mickey Rooney fan (I find him annoying) so I don't watch his films with Judy as often. I will say that Judy's presence in the film makes it worthwhile. If he co-starred with anyone else but Judy or by himself, I probably wouldn't even give these films a second thought.

My favorites are "Me and my gal", with Judy and Gene Kelly. They were a match made in heaven in that film, the tearjerking moment when they both realized that they were falling in love, the way they kissed, and Judy with her arm around Gene closing her fist, and the dialogue and tears leading up to the kiss, it was wonderful and emotional. Then the part when Judy realizes that Gene injured his hand on purpose to avoid being drafted, and Judy's reaction with her then loosing all respect for him. Then later on, just with the emotionally sad yet strong acceptance attitude Gene held while telling Judy "I know the ship has sailed as far as you and I are concerned". He was both heartbroken yet held his pride and dignity, and I believe Judy noticing that at that moment, combined with his heroic move with the grenades is how he won Judy's heart again. And the ending with Gene and Judy singing "Me and my gal" again and embracing was another tear jerker for me.  Gene's move was heroic before the ending with him saving those American soldiers while throwing the grenades at the enemies thus allowing the ambulances to pass.

9 minutes ago, Allenex said:

My favorites are "Me and my gal", with Judy and Gene Kelly. They were a match made in heaven in that film, the tearjerking moment when they both realized that they were falling in love, the way they kissed, and Judy with her arm around Gene closing her fist, and the dialogue and tears leading up to the kiss, it was wonderful and emotional. Then the part when Judy realizes that Gene injured his hand on purpose to avoid being drafted, and Judy's reaction with her then loosing all respect for him. Then later on, just with the emotionally sad yet strong acceptance attitude Gene held while telling Judy "I know the ship has sailed as far as you and I are concerned". He was both heartbroken yet held his pride and dignity, and I believe Judy noticing that at that moment, along with his heroic move with the grenades is how he won Judy's heart again. And the ending with Gene and Judy singing "Me and my gal" again and embracing was another tear jerker for me.  Gene's move was heroic before the ending with him saving those American soldiers while throwing the grenades at the enemies thus allowing the ambulances to pass.

All-- You'd get a kick out of seeing this Gene Kelly TV special from the late fifties/early sixties. It's probably somewhere on YouTube.

On this TV show, Gene in introduces the American public to Miss Liza Minnelli. He performs the "For Me and My Gal" number with Liza, just like he did it with Judy.

I always got the biggest kick out of how he described the rehearsal that they did in front of Judy.

Gene said he was more nervous than Liza because Judy would harshly scold you if you did something wrong. LOL