Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Alain Delon

30 posts in this topic

So glad TCM showed PURPLE NOON last night. I think this is my favorite French film from the sixties. FXM Retro is airing a later work of his, THE SICILIAN CLAN, in a few days.

• Like 1

And let us not forget, The Yellow Rolls-Royce (one of his rare English-language roles) appears both on Monday and on Jeanne Moreau's day in August.

There's another English-language role he did in the 60s (for MGM), which TCM airs every so often-- ONCE A THIEF, costarring Ann-Margret and Van Heflin. I hope they show it again.

In fact, as I think of it, a primetime spotlight of Alain Delon films would be a very good thing. I am going to use the Contact link at the bottom of TCM's homepage and put in a request!

• Like 1

Be careful of what you wish for. TCM could schedule 1979's The Concorde... Airport '79 as part of that spotlight!

Although Alain Delon does not have the lead role in either 1971's Red Sun (with Charles Bronson and Toshirô Mifune) or 1973's Scorpio (with Burt Lancaster), I wouldn't mind seeing one or both of them again after all these years as part of such a spotlight.

• Like 2

Be careful of what you wish for. TCM could schedule 1979's The Concorde... Airport '79 as part of that spotlight!

Although Alain Delon does not have the lead role in either 1971's Red Sun (with Charles Bronson and Toshirô Mifune) or 1973's Scorpio (with Burt Lancaster), I wouldn't mind seeing one or both of them again after all these years as part of such a spotlight.

Yes, it has been quite some time since TCM aired SCORPIO. Maybe the last time was during Burt Lancaster's Star of the Month tribute a few years ago.

I don't mind AIRPORT '79, though it does indicate how much the franchise had declined.

• Like 1

Alain Delon was such a gorgeous "sex object".

My response to him was totally sexual.

When I went to his films - and I did go to his films - I just sat there and gloried in his presence.

I was so grateful - thankful - for the experience.

He made a film with Jane Fonda and Lola Albright that I have never gotten over - "Joy House".

When I went to see him in "Borsalino", when he came down the staircase of the club in an alluring tuxedo, the movie audience burst into applause - a rare occurence in a movie theater.

I do not feel ashamed to admit that my response to him was, as I said,"totally sexual", because he was an actor who had a sexual charisma that just exploded from the scene. 

• Like 1

He made a film with Jane Fonda and Lola Albright that I have never gotten over - "Joy House".

I haven't seen JOY HOUSE, which seems interesting. 

I read somewhere where Alain said L'ECLISSE was the film he liked best of all the ones he made.

• Like 1

I haven't seen JOY HOUSE, which seems interesting. 

I read somewhere where Alain said L'ECLISSE was the film he liked best of all the ones he made.

Well, I wouldn't want to tell you about "Joy House", because, then, I would definitely spoil it for you.

But, like "Purple Noon", it is a film that was directed by Rene Clement.

I would never have guessed that his favorite film was Michelangelo Antonioni's "Eclipse".

But he and Monica Vitti were an unforgettable pair.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't want to tell you about "Joy House", because, then, I would definitely spoil it for you.

But, like "Purple Noon", it is a film that was directed by Rene Clement.

I would never have guessed that his favorite film was Michelangelo Antonioni's "Eclipse".

But he and Monica Vitti were an unforgettable pair.

I have a feeing the character he played in L'ECLISSE was closer to his own personality. In the other films, he is "acting" more. :)

Yes, I would agree with you, he could certainly "act" .

I was referring to how he used his acting skills to convey morally reprehensible characters audiences still were willing to watch, such as a murderer in PURPLE NOON. He has a different type of role in L'ECLISSE. 

• Like 1

I was referring to how he used his acting skills to convey morally reprehensible characters audiences still were willing to watch, such as a murderer in PURPLE NOON. He has a different type of role in L'ECLISSE. 

For me, his scariest role in this genre was "Le Samourai", a Jean-Pierre Melville film that they made in 1967.

• Like 1

I got such a kick out of Alain Delon in "The Yellow Rolls Royce" in which his swimsuit was at least one size too small.

17892286114_ca97cc29d8_b.jpg

For me, his scariest role in this genre was "Le Samourai", a Jean-Pierre Melville film that they made in 1967.

Can't say I've seen it yet. 

• Like 1

Alain Delon achieved international stardom very early in his career with "Purple Noon" (1960) and "Rocco and His Brothers" (also 1960).

And his wide-ranging stardom was solidified with "Any Number Can Win" and "The Leopard", which were both released in 1963.

He tried to achieve Hollywood stardom, with films like "Joy House" and "Once A Thief", but his Hollywood film career did not produce box-office winners.

So, he then returned to France and made far more successful films like "The Last Adventure" and "Le Samourai".

Eventually, he formed his own production company, Adel and made such films as "Jeff" and "Borsalino".

Not surprisingly, he was involved with many women in his life -

1. Romy Schneider from 1959 to 1963

2. Nico, during his affair with Schneider, and had a son, too 

3. Nathalie Barthelemy from 1964 to 1969 -  he married her and had a second son

4. Mireille Darc, with whom he had a 15 year relationship from 1968 to 1982

6. Rosalie van Breemer from 1987 to 2002 and had a son and daughter.

Alain Delon also moved beyond film-makking and had various merchandising lines like his own perfume and his own sunglasses..

So, he was not only a successful actor, but he was also a successful businessman.

Today, he is actually 80 years old, lives in Switzerland with his two youngest children and ls still a very handsome man.

• Like 1

ONCE A THIEF could have been a lot better. He didn't get the types of scripts in Hollywood he had in Europe. He should have been a bigger star in America. 

• Like 1

tumblr_m6k53gSYHw1rumsbyo1_1280.jpg

1996 - Alain Delon and his companion, Rosalie van Breemer and their children, Anouchka and Alain-Fabien - a beautiful family.

• Like 1

tumblr_m6k53gSYHw1rumsbyo1_1280.jpg

1996 - Alain Delon and his companion, Rosalie van Breemer and their children, Anouchka and Alain-Fabien - a beautiful family.

How lovely. Thanks for posting that. 

• Like 1

He didn't have an easy time of it and had left school at the age of 14.

You're right, at the age of 17, he had entered the French Navy.

He had four years of military service, spent 11 months in prison for being undisciplined and then was dishonorably discharged in 1956.

When he got out of the French Navy, he had no money and worked at various jobs like a porter and a sales assistant.

• Like 1

He didn't have an easy time of it and had left school at the age of 14.

You're right, at the age of 17, he had entered the French Navy.

He had four years of military service, spent 11 months in prison for being undisciplined and then was dishonorably discharged in 1956.

When he got out of the French Navy, he had no money and worked at various jobs like a porter and a sales assistant.

Wow. So all the odds were against him in his early years yet he managed to become a very successful internationally acclaimed movie star. Good for him. That's inspiring.

• Like 1

Wow. So all the odds were against him in his early years yet he managed to become a very successful internationally acclaimed movie star. Good for him. That's inspiring.

I think that his extraordinary beauty must have turned the tide.

He befriended an actress who took him to the Cannes Film Festival.

There, he was seen by David O. Selznick.

He was screen-tested and offered a contract.

But he had to learn English.

And Delon wasn't that interested in learning English.

• Like 1

"Borsalino" was one of Alain Delon's most famous films.

He starred in this gangster flick with Jean-Paul Belmondo.

In his contract, Belmondo demanded the same number of close-ups that Delon would be getting.

Later, Belmolndo sued Delon, who was the producer, because he (Belmondo) was unhappy with the advertising.

borsalino-alain-delon-jean-paul-belmondo

• Like 1

"Borsalino" was one of Alain Delon's most famous films.

He starred in this gangster flick with Jean-Paul Belmondo.

In his contract, Belmondo demanded the same number of close-ups that Delon would be getting.

Later, Belmolndo sued Delon, who was the producer, because he (Belmondo) was unhappy with the advertising.

Interesting. And nice photo by the way. I have to admit I've never paid much attention to Belmondo, not in the way I do with other European stars of that generation. Nothing against him personally, but his screen persona didn't intrigue me the way Delon's did, or the way some of their contemporaries did. 

Counting close-ups seems like a new way to count lines. LOL

• Like 1