Sign in to follow this  
DougieB

Has anyone seen "Love Is Strange"?

5 posts in this topic

This weekend the local film festival is showing "Love Is Strange", which was shown earlier this year at Sundance. It sounds very reminiscent of "Make Way For Tomorrow" the 1937 Leo McCarey movie with Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore. John Lithgow and Alfred Molina play two older gay men who get married when the opportunity finally arises, only to have one fired from his ("religious") school job when it becomes public. They can no longer afford their apartment and have to split up, one going to live with a neprhew and his family and the other moving in with two roommates, all of this basically snowballing from the fact that they're gay and got married. I absolutely intend to see it, but I'm wondering if anyone already has and what they thought.

• Like 1

This weekend the local film festival is showing "Love Is Strange", which was shown realier this year at Sundance. It sounds very reminiscent of "Make Way For Tomorrow" the 1937 Leo McCarey movie with Beulah Bondi and Victor Moore. John Lithgow and Alfred Molina play two older gay men who get married when the opportunity finally arises, only to have one fired from his ("religious") school job when it becomes public. They can no longer afford their apartment and have to split up, one going to live with a neprhew and his family and the other moving in with two roommates, all of this basically snowballing from the fact that they're gay and got married. I absolutely intend to see it, but I'm wondering if anyone already has and what they thought.

Sounds like a good one. Please let us know if it meets your expectations, when you see it.

I got to see it finally and wasn't disappointed. It's been aquired by Sony Pictures Classics and it's been out of the festival circuit since Sundance, so I feel very lucky. The resemblance to "Make Way For Tomorow" is there thematically but not stylistically; there aren't really any "big" moments and it definitely shys away from the maudlin touches McCarey often went for. Molina and Lithgow mesh perfectly as the long-term partners (and now spouses) who are forced into seperation. I can't imagine they'll be ignored this next awards cycle, though nominations for Glenn Close and Janet McTeer for "Albert Nobbs" didn't save that movie from being relatively unknown a few years later. The milieu is established right away, as friends, neighbors and family attend the wedding, so they're already familiar to us when some of them are called upon to shelter (seperately) the two men. Marisa Tomei in particular is beautifully restrained as Lithgow's nephew's wife, who tries to make the necessary adjustment but says and does things she can't be proud of. I won't be a spoiler and discuss the ultimate outcome. At the talkback the director was asked to defend his choice of ending and he did so, to my satisfaction at least. I don't know the release date, but make sure you catch this one when you have the chance. I think it could prove to be a milestone in the evolution of gay-themed cinema.

My hope that these guys (and perhaps Marisa Tomei) would be recognized this awards season seems to have been in vain. But I highly recommend catching up with it regardless. The characters are facing a very "modern" problem, since in theory a legally sanctioned marriage should have protected them from what they had to endure.

STARZ is showing this now, if any of you are subscribers. It's one of those movies made up of many small moments so it may not be the kind of big statement piece some people would be looking for, but it's true and sweet and rewarding.