bhryun

What rarely shown movies would you like TCM to play???

176 posts in this topic

tzcutter:

Stairway to Heaven, under its alternate title A Matter of Life and Death, is scheduled for September (a Sunday night; I don't recall which one and my notes are out of reach) in the Pressburger-Powell salute.

Speaking of Kim Novak - "Strangers When We Meet" with Kirk Douglas, Walter Matthau and Ernie Kovacs - I haven't seen it in years .... a movie that is quite similar is "No Downpayment" - has anyone seen that one? It stars Joanne Woodward, Cameron Mitchell, Tony Randall, Sheree North, Jeff Hunter and Barbara Rush - it was sort of like "Knot's Landing" 20 years ahead of time - Lol! - they show it once in a blue moon on Fox Movie Channel ..... Also does anyone have any idea why the Fox channel never airs Jeanne Crain's "Margie?" - I love that movie - that was one of Jeanne Crain's biggest hits for Fox - they show "Apartment for Peggy," "State Fair" and "Pinky" quite often - but not "Margie" .... Hmmmm...

Zero Hour! Does anyone know this movie? It was used as the basis for "AIRPLANE!" and a good film! TCM ran it once but would love to see it again! It's not on video!

Take care! Veronica

Hi Veronica, I've never seen Zero Hour but I've heard Airplane recycled exact dialogue from the film. It would probably be pretty hard to watch seriously now.

>>>>>WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT November's schedule is - *sigh* - almost no new movies, just repeats of all we've had in the previous 10 months. Is it my imagination or didn't TCM used to be programmed MUCH better? I'm truly unhappy about this and I'm sure I won't be alone<<<<<<

You are not alone.

Having just seen "The High and the Mighty", also with Robert Stack, I thought his scenes in "Airplane!" must have been spoofing those from that film.

madge, I, too, would LOVE to see MARGY! I saw it once or twice MANY years ago. It's such a sweet movie and Jeanne Crain is so deligtful in it as a slightly nerdy girl who blossoms into a lovely young woman. I also get Fox Movie Channel and it seems as though they don't show half the stuff that they could. They repeat a lot.

BTW, judging from your handle, are you a Kim Novak fan or just a fan of PICNIC?

The movie that I would love to see on TCM in THE MAN IN GREY starring James Mason. I read the book a few years ago and it scared the pants off me! I noticed that it's available on dvd in the UK, but not the US. Anyone seen it?

Sandy K

Hi Movieslover - Thanks for the info - I thought that the Fox channel had automatic access to Fox films - if they lease packages all of those reruns makes sense. I read that the 1931 version of "Waterloo Bridge" is going to be released on DVD with the Vivien Leigh version sometime in 2006.

Sandy - Great catch! Yes - I love both Kim Novak and "Picnic!" I also love Josh Logan - he made very sexy movies for his time - have you ever seen "Sayonara?" VERY romantic!! Oh - and before anyone else mentions it - as much as I love Josh Logan - I know, I know, "Camelot" did wind up pretty funky! LOL!

Madge

Maybe I've just been missing it - I'd love to see "The Goddess" where Kim Stanley plays a role loosely based on Marilyn Monroe. I haven't seen it years.

- Madge

Hatchet Man was broadcast several years ago on TCM and I did not record the movie because...well, because I did not record television broadcasts back then and I thought TCM would broadcast Hatchet Man again...because it is a very interesting movie and a very good performance by Edward G. Robinson and worth the effort on the part of TCM programming department to acquire the rights to Hatchet Man and broadcast Hatchet Man and I can record Hatchet Man and after recording...I don't care if TCM broadcasts the item ever again. Run on sentences seem to be a thing right now (this forum). So, I thought I would give stream-of-consciousness composition a shot.

Rusty

To my knnowledge the following films have NEVER been shown but I would like TCM to play. The following 2 are extremely rare Sybil Jason movies.

The Captain's Kid - 1936 Sybil Jason, Guy Kibbee

The Singinig Kid - 1936 Sybil Jason, Al Jolson

These films needs to be pulled from the vault and preserved (If this has not already been done so!) to avoid becoming Nitrate history (dust). She had made too few movies as it is, this includes the 2 bit roles 20th Century Fox pitifully gave her (The Little Princess and The Bluebird).

I started a thread on this - Forgotten Child Stars - Baby Peggy and Sybil Jason

I'd like to see these films, but have no idea if it's possible. It could be TCM has shown some of them and I missed it.

"The Lady is Willing"

"Exterminating Angel"

"Pepe le Moko"

"Pandora's Box"

"Nashville"

>>>The Constant Nymph (1943)

81/2 (1963)

Suspicion (with original ending)

The Lost Moment (1946)

The Unguarded Moment (1948)

The Gang's All Here (1943)

Hello Frisco, Hello (1943)

Cabaret (1970)

Where's Papa? (1970)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)>>>>

Wow. There was an original ending to "Suspicion?" One where Cary Grant's character is allowed to be the charming sociopath his wife and all of us suspect he is? Cool.

>>>The Constant Nymph (1943)

81/2 (1963)

Suspicion (with original ending)

The Lost Moment (1946)

The Unguarded Moment (1948)

The Gang's All Here (1943)

Hello Frisco, Hello (1943)

Cabaret (1970)

Where's Papa? (1970)

Rosemary's Baby (1968)>>>>

Wow. There was an original ending to "Suspicion?" One where Cary Grant's character is allowed to be the charming sociopath his wife and all of us suspect he is? Cool.

And I'd love to see some of the films they teased us with in "Complicated Women," like "Blood Money", "Murder at the Vanities" and "The Story of Temple Drake." Again, don't know who owns these, so don't know if it's possible to see them.

House of Rothschild

The Man in Half-Moon Street

Brit films -- the early Gracie Fields film (1930s), like Sally in Our Alley

Brit films -- 1940s films with Patricia Roc, Margaret Lockwood, et. al.

Iguess it must be a question of rights but what is the story for The Perfect Specimen a Michael Curtiz film with Errol Flynn and Joan Blondell? I have been with TCM for almost 14 years never seen it here,nowhere,finally found an unofficial link on a download place,incredibly enough the copy I got has a PERMANENT TCM logo on it! Was it shown in the early days of TCM or was it shown on an European TCM? Finally was it ever shown on TCM US?