bhryun

What rarely shown movies would you like TCM to play???

176 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

Thank you.  I'll make a note of it.

If you click on the link I posted and go to the page for the film on the TCM database, you can have TCM send you an email notification. You will be notified shortly before it airs.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 12.40.06 PM.png

Click on the word REMINDER.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 12.41.33 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Emily Emerac said:

Oh, yes, I forgot about that feature. Thanks again.

No problem. Glad to be of help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankenstein (1910)

Nursery Favorites (1913)

Regeneration (1915)

So This is Paris (1926)  Warner Bros.

Docks of New York (1928) Paramount

Forgotten Faces (1928) Paramount

It's A Great Life (1929)  MGM

Syncopation (1929) (RKO)

Alias French Gertie (1930) (RKO)

Dancing Sweeties (1930) Warner Brothers

 

The King of Jazz (1930) Universal

Those Who Dance (1930) Warner Bros.

24 Hours (1931) Paramount

Back Street (1931) Universal

The Bad Sister (1931) Universal

Murder By The Clock (1931) Paramount

Big Broadcast (1932) Paramount

By Whose Hand (1932) Columbia

Crime of the Century (1933) Paramount

Devil Is Driving (1933) Paramount

 

Night of June 13th (1933) Paramount

Terror Aboard (1933) Paramount

Cross Streets (1934) Now defunct Invincible (apparently they were not) Pictures

Diamond Jim (1935)  Universal

Ceiling Zero (1936) WB - Rights Problems

Exposed (1938) Universal

Among The Living (1941) Columbia

Unfinished Business (1941) Universal

Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) Republic

Dark Mirror (1946) Universal

 

Swell Guy (1946) Universal

Ride The Pink Horse (1947) Universal

The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947) Universal

Night Has A Thousand Eyes (1948) Paramount

The Saxon Charm (1948) Universal

Alias Nick Beal  (1949) Paramount

Mrs. Mike (1949)  United Artists

Dark City (1950) Paramount

Louisa  (1950) Universal

September Affair (1950) Paramount

 

Come Fill The Cup (1951)  Warner Bros. - Rights problems

The Fat Man (1951) Universal

Mr. Denning Drives North (1951)

The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951) Columbia

You Can Never Tell (1951) Universal

Girls in the Night (1953) Universal

An Inspector Calls (1954)

Six Bridges To Cross (1955) Universal

Beau James (1957) Paramount

The Midnight Story (1957) Universal

 

St. Louis Blues (1957) Paramount

The Tattered Dress  (1957) Universal

Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (1957) Universal

Voice in the Mirror (1958) Universal

Man in the Backseat (1961)

Jigsaw (1962)

All The Way Home (1963) Paramount

The Night Walker (1964) Columbia

Fluffy (1965)  Universal

Night of the Silicates (1966)

 

The Comic (1969) Columbia

J.T. (1969) (Made For TV)

Feminist and The Fuzz (1970) (Made For TV)

Lovers and Other Strangers (1970) MGM-UA

The Little Murders (1971) Fox

The Neon Ceiling (1971) (Made For TV)

A New Leaf (1971) Paramount

The Girl Most Likely (1973) (Made For TV)

Love Among The Ruins (1975)

Coffee Tea or Me (1973) (Made For TV)

 

Silent Hollywood (1977) 13 one hour part documentary on silent film

The Lovers (1980) (Made For TV)

Scarlett O'Hara Wars (1980) (Made For TV)

It Came From Hollywood (1982) (Rights problems for music and film clips probably make this impossible)

Cold Feet (1983)

An Early Frost (1985) (Made For TV)

Twice In a Lifetime (1985) Bud Yorkin Productions

And The Band Played On (1993) HBO

Cemetery Man (1994)

Young Poisoners Handbook (1995)

 

Immortal Beloved (1995) Columbia

The Last Days of Disco (1998) (Castlerock??)

Busby Berkeley: Going Through The Roof (1998) (Warner Bros)

Takva: A Man's Fear of God (2006)

 

I know it's a long list, but all of these films are seldom played and would be good material for TCM. Some have known rights problems, but some belong to TCM's parent company, were shown in the 20th century, and just because they are very old have not shown up since.  As you would guess, the vast majority are Universal or Paramount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2018 at 3:41 PM, darkblue said:

Most creative decade in film ever - especially from 70 to 76.

For once I agree with you... on SOMETHING!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accidentally hit wrong key and posted something I hadn't really formulated my thoughts on yet. So, I deleted that text. Hopefully get it on here in a day or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A strange little movie that played fairly often on Toronto stations in the mid 70's (but seems to have been lost ever since) would be great to see again.

It's called 'To Kill a Clown' (1972).

Alan Alda stars - before he became famous for tv's 'MASH' - as a vietnam vet who has to walk with crutches and who lives on an island off the coast of Maine with his doberman dogs. A hippieish couple (Blythe Danner in an early role is the woman) buy a house on his island and in not too long they begin to experience Alda's psychotic side.

It's so different from anything Alda is known for now - but it's always the first movie that comes to my mind at the mention of his name. Probably precisely because it's such an unusual role for him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darkblue said:

A strange little movie that played fairly often on Toronto stations in the mid 70's (but seems to have been lost ever since) would be great to see again.

It's called 'To Kill a Clown' (1972).

Alan Alda stars - before he became famous for tv's 'MASH' - as a vietnam vet who has to walk with crutches and who lives on a island off the coast of Maine with his doberman dogs. A hippieish couple (Blythe Danner in an early role is the woman) buy a house on his island and in not too long they begin to experience Alda's psychotic side.

It's so different from anything Alda is known for now - but it's always the first movie that comes to my mind at the mention of his name. Probably precisely because it's such an unusual role for him.

It's over at Youtube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, darkblue said:

A strange little movie that played fairly often on Toronto stations in the mid 70's (but seems to have been lost ever since) would be great to see again.

It's called 'To Kill a Clown' (1972).

Alan Alda stars - before he became famous for tv's 'MASH' - as a vietnam vet who has to walk with crutches and who lives on a island off the coast of Maine with his doberman dogs. A hippieish couple (Blythe Danner in an early role is the woman) buy a house on his island and in not too long they begin to experience Alda's psychotic side.

It's so different from anything Alda is known for now - but it's always the first movie that comes to my mind at the mention of his name. Probably precisely because it's such an unusual role for him.

That sounds cool! I've never heard of it before. I went looking for a DVD but apparently it had a VHS release and that was it. Like the other poster said, though, it is on youtube. I'll sit down and watch it when I get a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2018 at 2:45 PM, CaveGirl said:

Rene Clement's "Forbidden Games" from 1952 with Brigitte Fossey.

That one does show up on TCM occasionally. It was last shown September 2014. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may be rights issues in play, but I've never seen a broadcast anywhere of Nasty Habits (1977). It's a highly amusing Watergate satire set in a convent, with Glenda Jackson as the secretive and somewhat paranoid abbess who resorts to bugging her office and ultimately the whole convent. She enlists the aid of her two Haldeman/Erlichman-types, Geraldine Page and Anne Jackson, to do her bidding and help set up the hapless Sandy Dennis (read John Dean) to give them plausible deniability. There is a novitiate who is agitating against the abbess and it's the theft from a sewing box of some love letters from a lover in their brother order which precipitates a cover-up that unravels over the course of the movie. Her lover becomes the "Deep Throat" who gets out word of the nefarious goings-on at the convent. As the walls begin to close in Melina Mercuri, in a hilarious cameo as a Kissinger-style fixer nun, swoops in by helicopter to help wrangle the whole mess. Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Eli Wallach and Rip Torn round out the cast, making it all the more curious that a film with such talent has slipped through the cracks. We don't see many movies with such pointed political satire (Dr. Strangelove comes to mind). It seems, though I may be wrong, that it was somehow a British production or at least financed there, so that may be part of the reason why it's in limbo somewhere. There have been both VHS and DVD releases, but from a very faded, cropped print.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DougieB said:

There may be rights issues in play, but I've never seen a broadcast anywhere of Nasty Habits (1977). It's a highly amusing Watergate satire set in a convent, with Glenda Jackson as the secretive and somewhat paranoid abbess who resorts to bugging her office and ultimately the whole convent.

The movie certainly got a wide release.  I've never seen it, but I remember it coming to my small-town (about 2500 people) theater when small towns still had move theaters.  But critics didn't like it.  Leonard Maltin dismisses it in his guide and this London Time Out review is fairly typical:

The appeal of this adaptation of Muriel Spark's novel The Abbess of Crewe rests precariously upon one slim idea: resetting Watergate in a nunnery. Once the initial idea has been planted - Glenda Jackson out to get elected abbess at all costs - the audience is made to look awfully hard for laughs. The 'political' gags, like Mercouri's Kissinger-type roving nun, are often abysmal (only Sandy Dennis' impersonation of John Dean deserves to escape criticism); and with increasing desperation, the humour depends on the nuns' monotonous displays of venal ways (smoking, swearing, boozing, even shacking up with the Jesuits down the road). It's all terribly predictable and tame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skimpole said:

The movie certainly got a wide release.  I've never seen it, but I remember it coming to my small-town (about 2500 people) theater when small towns still had move theaters.  But critics didn't like it.  Leonard Maltin dismisses it in his guide and this London Time Out review is fairly typical:

The appeal of this adaptation of Muriel Spark's novel The Abbess of Crewe rests precariously upon one slim idea: resetting Watergate in a nunnery. Once the initial idea has been planted - Glenda Jackson out to get elected abbess at all costs - the audience is made to look awfully hard for laughs. The 'political' gags, like Mercouri's Kissinger-type roving nun, are often abysmal (only Sandy Dennis' impersonation of John Dean deserves to escape criticism); and with increasing desperation, the humour depends on the nuns' monotonous displays of venal ways (smoking, swearing, boozing, even shacking up with the Jesuits down the road). It's all terribly predictable and tame.

Thanks. Duly noted. I remember being tremendously amused, though how chemically altered I was at the time I can't say, and am having trouble processing the notion that Melina Mercouri was "abysmal". I also remember being tickled by the "monotonous displays" by the actresses playing the nuns, particularly a deliberately off-kilter Geraldine Page, one of my all-time favorite actresses. I've often had to revise my opinions of films when viewing them again later in life, but as of now my memory of this one is that it was clever and fun. I'm open to the idea that it could be seen as an example of over-extended skit comedy. Also, the fact that the cast includes three married couples working together may make it seem like an in-joke kind of thing to amuse themselves. Guess the only solution is for me to find a copy and watch it again.

I like Leonard Maltin but long ago gave up referring to his guides, which I've often thought missed the mark. Again, a matter of taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some stuff from the 80s I don't think TCM has played.  It was all on videocassette for rental back in the year 1983.  I'm not hoping or expecting in any way that they show much, if any, of this.  It is just stuff I picked from a longer list to showcase what is or once was out there, for anyone that might care.  Or not.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-popcorn-eat.gif

Altered States (1980)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
American Nightmare (1983)
Any Which Way You Can (1980)
Author! Author! (1982)
Battletruck (1982)
Breaking Glass (1980)
The Border (1982)
Breakout (1975)
Body Heat (1981)
Bustin' Loose (1981)
Carbon Copy (1981)
Cat People (1982)
Class Reunion (1982)
Continental Divide (1981)
Creepshow (1982)
Dark Star (1974)
Doctor Detroit (1983)
The Entity (1982)
Evilspeak (1981)
Eye of the Needle (1981)
The Final Conflict (1981)
Firefox (1982)
Ghost Story (1981)
Good Guys Wear Black (1978)
Graduation Day (1981)
The Groove Tube (1974)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
High Road to China (1983)
Homework (1982)
I, the Jury (1982)
Inside Moves (1980)
It Came from Hollywood (1982)
Jane Fonda's Workout (1982)
Jenny (1970)
Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)
Love at First Bite (1979)
Lovesick (1983)
Lenny Bruce Without Tears (1972)
Magic (1978)
Mausoleum (1983)
Meatballs (1979)
Megaforce (1982)
The Mirror Crack'd (1980)
The Missionary (1982)
Moonraker (1979)
My Bodyguard (1980)
Neighbors (1981)
Nice Dreams (1981)
Night Shift (1982)
9 to 5 (1980)
An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
Outland (1981)
Paradise (1982)
Partners (1982)
Paternity (1981)
Piranha (1978)
Private Lessons (1981)
The Prize Fighter (1979)
Querelle (1982)
Sharky's Machine (1981)
Six Pack (1982)
Six Weeks (1982)
Sphinx (1981)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Still Smokin (1983)
Stripes (1981)
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)
Taps (1981)
Tattoo (1981)
Tex (1982)
The Thing (1982)
Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982)
The Toy (1982)
Tunnel Vision (1976)
Visiting Hours (1982)
Vice Squad (1982)
Young Doctors in Love (1982)
Xtro (1982)
Zapped! (1982)
Zombie (1979)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. The one which literally jumped out at me was The Mirror Crack'd. Why that hasn't ended up on TCM by this point is a mystery to me, Yes, it represented late-career performances by people who had all done better work in the past, but...Elizabeth Taylor?...Rock Hudson?...Kim Novak?...Tony Curtis?...Angela Lansbury? All TCM favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 1, 2018 at 10:28 PM, calvinnme said:

For once I agree with you... on SOMETHING!

Can you then, please cite, examples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On September 4, 2018 at 6:11 PM, DougieB said:

Thanks. Duly noted. I remember being tremendously amused, though how chemically altered I was at the time I can't say, and am having trouble processing the notion that Melina Mercouri was "abysmal". I also remember being tickled by the "monotonous displays" by the actresses playing the nuns, particularly a deliberately off-kilter Geraldine Page, one of my all-time favorite actresses. I've often had to revise my opinions of films when viewing them again later in life, but as of now my memory of this one is that it was clever and fun. I'm open to the idea that it could be seen as an example of over-extended skit comedy. Also, the fact that the cast includes three married couples working together may make it seem like an in-joke kind of thing to amuse themselves. Guess the only solution is for me to find a copy and watch it again.

I like Leonard Maltin but long ago gave up referring to his guides, which I've often thought missed the mark. Again, a matter of taste.

Mercouri was always a fantastic actress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here's some stuff from the 80s I don't think TCM has played.  It was all on videocassette for rental back in the year 1983.  I'm not hoping or expecting in any way that they show much, if any, of this.  It is just stuff I picked from a longer list to showcase what is or once was out there, for anyone that might care.  Or not.  http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-popcorn-eat.gif

Altered States (1980)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
American Nightmare (1983)
Any Which Way You Can (1980)
Author! Author! (1982)
Battletruck (1982)
Breaking Glass (1980)
The Border (1982)
Breakout (1975)
Body Heat (1981)
Bustin' Loose (1981)
Carbon Copy (1981)
Cat People (1982)
Class Reunion (1982)
Continental Divide (1981)
Creepshow (1982)
Dark Star (1974)
Doctor Detroit (1983)
The Entity (1982)
Evilspeak (1981)
Eye of the Needle (1981)
The Final Conflict (1981)
Firefox (1982)
Ghost Story (1981)
Good Guys Wear Black (1978)
Graduation Day (1981)
The Groove Tube (1974)
Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
High Road to China (1983)
Homework (1982)
I, the Jury (1982)
Inside Moves (1980)
It Came from Hollywood (1982)
Jane Fonda's Workout (1982)
Jenny (1970)
Kiss Me Goodbye (1982)
Love at First Bite (1979)
Lovesick (1983)
Lenny Bruce Without Tears (1972)
Magic (1978)
Mausoleum (1983)
Meatballs (1979)
Megaforce (1982)
The Mirror Crack'd (1980)
The Missionary (1982)
Moonraker (1979)
My Bodyguard (1980)
Neighbors (1981)
Nice Dreams (1981)
Night Shift (1982)
9 to 5 (1980)
An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
Outland (1981)
Paradise (1982)
Partners (1982)
Paternity (1981)
Piranha (1978)
Private Lessons (1981)
The Prize Fighter (1979)
Querelle (1982)
Sharky's Machine (1981)
Six Pack (1982)
Six Weeks (1982)
Sphinx (1981)
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
Still Smokin (1983)
Stripes (1981)
The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982)
Taps (1981)
Tattoo (1981)
Tex (1982)
The Thing (1982)
Timerider: The Adventure of Lyle Swann (1982)
The Toy (1982)
Tunnel Vision (1976)
Visiting Hours (1982)
Vice Squad (1982)
Young Doctors in Love (1982)
Xtro (1982)
Zapped! (1982)
Zombie (1979)

Looking at this list, I would think The Thing is the one movie with enough critical reputation that TCM will eventually show it.  Most of these movies had a major movie release, but critical reception ranged from unenthusiastic to awful.  Altered States is one movie I suppose I'd see, even though I'm not wild about Ken Russell, and I loathe William Hurt.  Paradise is basically The Blue Lagoon in the Sahara.  It's not surprising TCM isn't showing the Bond movies.  Some of these movies, Body Heat and An Officer and a Gentleman may be too racy for TCM's taste.  I thought Tex was a Disney movie, which means that I may show up eventually.  Inside Moves got an oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress, so perhaps it may show up on oscar month.  Perhaps in a couple of decades, there'll be enough curiosity about the period TCM will show it.  I was mildly curious about Taps when it came out.  Now I suppose it's "The Christmas movie starring oscar winner Timothy Hutton in a military academy that critics were unenthusiastic about."  I suppose TCM programmers are going to wonder why show this and not rebroadcast Prince of the City or Possession again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Looking at this list, I would think The Thing is the one movie with enough critical reputation that TCM will eventually show it.  Most of these movies had a major movie release, but critical reception ranged from unenthusiastic to awful........Some of these movies, Body Heat and An Officer and a Gentleman may be too racy for TCM's taste. 

TCM programmers have improved greatly over the past two years in that they have chosen quite a few films their past had indicated they'd never choose. It's like they've woken up or something.

"Critical reception" doesn't have to be present at all. They'll show anything they can get the rights to show as long as it isn't hardcore (penetration) porn - or softcore porn such as Playboy Channel movies, which are virtually worthless as movies to nearly everyone.

There's not a single movie on MovieCollector's list that TCM won't show if they can get it, which testifies to me that TCM is better now than it's ever been.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darkblue said:

 

"Critical reception" doesn't have to be present at all. They'll show anything they can get the rights to show as long as it isn't hardcore (penetration) porn - or softcore porn such as Playboy Channel movies, which are virtually worthless as movies to nearly everyone.

There's not a single movie on MovieCollector's list that TCM won't show if they can get it, which testifies to me that TCM is better now than it's ever been.

Several of those movies are little more than soft-core porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, skimpole said:

Several of those movies are little more than soft-core porn.

Several, huh?

I admit, Jane Fonda's workout tape sure doesn't belong in a list of "movies". It ain't porn, though - neither soft nor hard (nor medium). It's an exercise tape.

Please name the "several" that are "little more than soft-core porn".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, darkblue said:

Several, huh?

I admit, Jane Fonda's workout tape sure doesn't belong in a list of "movies". It ain't porn, though - neither soft nor hard (nor medium). It's an exercise tape.

Please name the "several" that are "little more than soft-core porn".

Congrats.  You win the Internet.  I put that in there to see if anyone noticed. 

This list was from the year 1983 at a large independent video store in the Greater Cleveland area, which stayed in business into the year 2011.  They used to hand out stapled paper copies of it to the customers back then.  This is from their beginning, they were one of the earliest video rental places in town.  It wasn't a chain like Blockbuster, it was independently owned where the owners spent their own hard-earned money on the videos.  So it is not just some random list, but rather seems to follow a certain pattern instead, which I kind of thought looked entertaining - at least on the surface - and got a chuckle out of.  Basically I removed the stuff duplicated on TCM and some music videos and a small amount of other non-movie type stuff.  This list I posted represents probably about 1/3 to 1/2 of that list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"ONE TOUCH OF VENUS" (1948) starring Ava Gardner & Robert Walker

MV5BNGJlYzY0ZjAtZjQzOS00N2NkLWFlYTQtZjU5MWRhY2EzMjAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg.7236f7e1c5b383ea2ad3d8eb955cd0c5.jpg

It was originally a Broadway play in 1943 starring Mary Martin & Kenny Baker. Written by Kurt Weill w/music & lyrics by Weill & Ogden Nash.

Although the movie apparently didn't do well at the b.o., I absolutely loved it when I first saw it as a kid on the old Million Dollar Movie.  I remember crying when she turned back into the statue.   Sure wish TCM would air this one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us