TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

2,815 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Never saw Requiem for a Heavyweight....is it any good?

Yes, very good. Uses a script by Rod Serling (previously filmed as a TV drama with Jack Palance). The supporting cast is exceptional-- Mickey Rooney, Jackie Gleason and Julie Harris. Anthony Quinn takes over for Palance and does an admirable job.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Never saw Requiem for a Heavyweight....is it any good?

Requiem is a great film but very sad.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a big boxing, Twilight Zone, and classic film fan and I hate the movie "Requiem For A Heavyweight".  I find Anthony Quinn's acting cartoonish and that hoarse voice drives me crazy. Supposedly, Quinn adopted the voice in order to mimic the effect of being punched in the throat. I have met many fighters and ex-fighters in varying degrees of mental acuity and have never heard anyone speak in that kind of voice.

The original 1956 Playhouse 90 production of "Heavyweight" is another matter entirely.  Jack Palance will make you cry and Keenan and Ed Wynn in the supporting roles are phenomenal.  Also look up "The Man In The Funny Suit" AFTER you watch the TV version of "Requiem".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday December 5, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-04 at 4.38.24 PM.png

Directed by Fritz Lang on TCM

M with Peter Lorre

THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE with Gutav Diesel

FURY with Spencer Tracy

HANGMEN ALSO DIE with Brian Donlevy

CLASH BY NIGHT with Barbara Stanwyck

MOONFLEET with Stewart Granger

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS with Dana Andrews

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 7:22 PM, TopBilled said:

Wednesday November 29, 2017

Screen shot 2017-11-28 at 5.13.53 PM.png

More James Stewart directed by Anthony Mann on TCM

WINCHESTER ’73 with Shelley Winters

BEND OF THE RIVER with Julie Adams

THE FAR COUNTRY with Ruth Roman

THE NAKED SPUR with Janet Leigh

I watched the first of these films (yet again), when TCM showed them.

I really have come to be a big fan of Winchester '73 and each time I see it my appreciation grows.  I can't find any flaws in this film.    One thing I love about it is that the scenes without Stewart are just as compelling as those with Stewart.    Just a great western that has everything a western should have.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I watched the first of these films (yet again), when TCM showed them.

I really have come to be a big fan of Winchester '73 and each time I see it my appreciation grows.  I can't find any flaws in this film.    One thing I love about it is that the scenes without Stewart are just as compelling as those with Stewart.    Just a great western that has everything a western should have.

Universal remade WINCHESTER '73 as a TV movie in 1967 with Tom Tryon taking over. Dan Duryea returned, as a different character. It was one of Duryea's last performances, since he died a short time later. The remake is in color and has a lot of familiar actors in it, but it just doesn't compare to the original. I'm sure people who watched the second one were saying 'give us the Jimmy Stewart version.'

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday December 6, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-05 at 5.17.49 PM.png

Rita Tushingham on FilmStruck

A TASTE OF HONEY with Robert Stephens

A PLACE TO GO with Bernard Lee

GIRL WITH GREEN EYES with Peter Finch

THE BED SITTING ROOM with Ralph Richardson

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, TopBilled said:

Tuesday December 5, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-04 at 4.38.24 PM.png

Directed by Fritz Lang on TCM

M with Peter Lorre

THE TESTAMENT OF DR. MABUSE with Gutav Diesel

FURY with Spencer Tracy

HANGMEN ALSO DIE with Brian Donlevy

CLASH BY NIGHT with Barbara Stanwyck

MOONFLEET with Stewart Granger

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS with Dana Andrews

From this list Fury is my favorite. Tracy is excellent as the decent guy turned vengeful, embittered man by a bloodthirsty mob and Sylvia Sidney (whom I had only known as the old woman advising the deceased couple in the afterlife in Beetlejuice) is equally effective as his anguished sweetheart.

(SPOILER ALERT) Question.....does anyone think Tracy is justified to pretend to be dead and allow the mob who almost killed him to hang for a crime that they had in fact set out to do but didn't quite pull off? Vigilante justice is wrong but you know that old saying....two wrongs don't make a right.

Still I hope Tracy's character got off with probation....

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

From this list Fury is my favorite. Tracy is excellent as the decent guy turned vengeful, embittered man by a bloodthirsty mob and Sylvia Sidney (whom I had only known as the old woman advising the deceased couple in the afterlife in Beetlejuice) is equally effective as his anguished sweetheart.

(SPOILER ALERT) Question.....does anyone think Tracy is justified to pretend to be dead and allow the mob who almost killed him to hang for a crime that they had in fact set out to do but didn't quite pull off? Vigilante justice is wrong but you know that old saying....two wrongs don't make a right.

Still I hope Tracy's character got off with probation....

I was pulling for Tracy all the way in Fury!   But seriously, he wasn't justified but it was understandable why he did what he did.    Many consider this to be an early noir film.   Regardless of how one classifies the film,  it is a fine film with great acting and lots of tension.    Loved Sylvia Sidney ever since I saw Dead End (with Joel McCrea and Bogart).   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday December 7, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-06 at 5.57.27 PM.png

Directed by Phil Karlson on FilmStruck

KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL with John Payne

99 RIVER STREET with John Payne

THE IROQUOIS TRAIL with George Montgomery

THE PHENIX CITY STORY with Richard Kiley

HELL TO ETERNITY with Jeffrey Hunter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday December 8, 2017

Screen shot 2017-11-27 at 11.20.22 PM.png

More than one “Lady” on TCM

LADY IN THE LAKE with Robert Montgomery

LADY ON A TRAIN with Deanna Durbin

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday December 9, 2017

screen.jpg

Fay Bainter on TCM

WOMAN OF THE YEAR with Katharine Hepburn

JEZEBEL with Bette Davis

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY with Danny Kaye

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday December 10, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-09 at 6.25.17 PM.png

Disney animation with Eva Gabor on Hulu

THE ARISTOCATS with Phil Harris

THE RESCUERS with Bob Newhart

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday December 11, 2017

Screen shot 2017-12-10 at 5.38.02 PM.png

Gabor sisters on TCM

DEATH OF A SCOUNDREL with Zsa Zsa

THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS with Eva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us