TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3,297 posts in this topic

Saturday February 10, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-09 at 3.40.48 PM.png

Clark Gable on FilmStruck

STRANGE CARGO with Joan Crawford

COMMAND DECISION with Van Johnson

THE MISFITS with Marilyn Monroe

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday February 10, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-09 at 3.40.48 PM.png

Clark Gable on FilmStruck

STRANGE CARGO with Joan Crawford

COMMAND DECISION with Van Johnson

THE MISFITS with Marilyn Monroe

He and Joan Crawford were a memorable team.

I like them in any of their films, especially "Strange Cargo".

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rayban said:

He and Joan Crawford were a memorable team.

I like them in any of their films, especially "Strange Cargo".

Yes. They were definitely memorable. 

I also like her films with John Ireland. She was at her best with strong men who had the same kind of power she had.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday February 11, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-10 at 2.31.35 PM.png

Directed by John Huston on FilmStruck

THE MISFITS with Clark Gable

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING with Sean Connery

WISE BLOOD with Ned Beatty

UNDER THE VOLCANO with Albert Finney

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sunday February 11, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-10 at 2.31.35 PM.png

Directed by John Huston on FilmStruck

THE MISFITS with Clark Gable

THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING with Sean Connery

WISE BLOOD with Ned Beatty

UNDER THE VOLCANO with Albert Finney

The man could make memorable movies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rayban said:

The man could make memorable movies.

Indeed he could. He also made one of the most memorable, chilling villains onscreen as the monsterous Noah Cross in CHINATOWN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Indeed he could. He also made one of the most memorable, chilling villains onscreen as the monsterous Noah Cross in CHINATOWN.

I like his performance in "Winter Kills" - although it went largely unheralded.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed what I believe was his last movie, The Dead. I do not believe I have ever seen it on TCM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I really enjoyed what I believe was his last movie, The Dead. I do not believe I have ever seen it on TCM.

If I recall, it did air on TCM, but it's been awhile. Some consider it his best film.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday February 12, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-11 at 6.36.56 PM.png

Unconventional couples on TCM

DODSWORTH with Walter Huston

DAVID AND LISA with Keir Dullea

WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? with Richard Burton

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday February 13, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-12 at 3.33.00 PM.png

50s foreign language films on TCM

LA STRADA with Anthony Quinn

MON ONCLE with Jacques Tati

BLACK ORPHEUS with Breno Mello

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is so much to like in DODSWORTH.  I really like it and it's become one of my favorites.  It does a pretty good of of getting around the Production Code, too.  Excellent and timeless story with wonderful performances by everybody especially Walter Huston who, for me anyway, presents an attractive mature guy with some great qualities.  For viewers who know Walter only as the old codger in TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, his appearance here will be a nice surprise.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The daytime line-up is highly unusual - you've got, among others, "Kapo", which Susan Strasberg filmed aboard, "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", which is ever-glistening and "Day For Night", which is forever-new.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rayban said:

The daytime line-up is highly unusual - you've got, among others, "Kapo", which Susan Strasberg filmed aboard, "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg", which is ever-glistening and "Day For Night", which is forever-new.   

I could swear I saw Lacombe, Lucien on the schedule. They might have changed it out for Kapo.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday February 14, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 2.26.08 PM.png

Directed by Frank Borzage on FilmStruck

LILIOM (1930) with Charles Farrell

A FAREWELL TO ARMS with Gary Cooper

SECRETS with Mary Pickford

NO GREATER GLORY with Frankie Darro

MAN’S CASTLE with Spencer Tracy

HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT with Jean Arthur

THREE COMRADES with Robert Taylor

STRANGE CARGO with Joan Crawford

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday February 15, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 12.36.43 PM.png

Classic woman on TCM

DESIGNING WOMAN with Lauren Bacall

WOMAN OF THE YEAR with Katharine Hepburn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday February 15, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 12.36.43 PM.png

Classic woman on TCM

DESIGNING WOMAN with Lauren Bacall

WOMAN OF THE YEAR with Katharine Hepburn

Awesome! Love both these films....two classy ladies (Bacall and Hepburn) with two charismatic guys (Peck and Tracy).

Though in all honesty I think I have a special preference for DESIGNING WOMAN, but as I  say they are both great movies.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Awesome! Love both these films....two classy ladies (Bacall and Hepburn) with two charismatic guys (Peck and Tracy).

Though in all honesty I think I have a special preference for DESIGNING WOMAN, but as I  say they are both great movies.

Yes, I think it's one of Bacall's best films.

Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 12.37.07 PM.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, I think it's one of Bacall's best films.

Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 12.37.07 PM.png

I believe this came out around the time that Bogey had passed away, and that she and Peck remained lifelong friends (how I envy her!). 

She certainly could have used as many friends as she could get after losing Bogart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I believe this came out around the time that Bogey had passed away, and that she and Peck remained lifelong friends (how I envy her!). 

She certainly could have used as many friends as she could get after losing Bogart.

I agree. She and Peck also did a 1993 TV movie together, called The Portrait. 

I had a chance to see her once at a special luncheon at the University of Southern California. After the meal, she did a lengthy question and answer session. She said during the event Jeanne Moreau was one of her best friends. She had done a film for the BBC with Jeanne that was filmed in France, and they didn't know each other until the production. And she said they become instant pals.

They asked her which director she liked working with, and she raved about Robert Altman (she made two pictures with him). She referred to her early time in Hollywood as her Bogey Years, that's what she would say when they asked her about the movies she made in the 40s. She said when they made those films, it was obviously before TV and home video; and they never thought people would still be watching their performances decades later or even care about it.

A friend of mine whose father wrote the book on which THE SHOOTIST was based said he was on the set often and Bacall had problems with Duke. But she did not discuss John Wayne during the luncheon. He was not in good health at the time, and I think maybe those issues made him difficult for a lot of people to be around. I read the book after I had just seen the movie, and the book is very basic. It's a novella, not an actual novel. And her character in the book is very underdeveloped. I gained a greater appreciation for her when I realized how she brought the character to life. She's one of the best things in THE SHOOTIST. She might have started as a glamorous accessory to Bogart but she became a very good actress.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time of her TV interview with Barbara Walters, I remember her saying that she was always thought of as a personality, not an actress.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rayban said:

At the time of her TV interview with Barbara Walters, I remember her saying that she was always thought of as a personality, not an actress.

Yes. And she worked hard to challenge that underestimation of her talents.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday February 16, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-15 at 12.08.32 PM.png

Written by Budd Schulberg on FilmStruck

ON THE WATERFRONT with Marlon Brando

THE HARDER THEY FALL with Humphrey Bogart

A FACE IN THE CROWD with Andy Griffith

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 3:29 PM, TopBilled said:

I agree. She and Peck also did a 1993 TV movie together, called The Portrait. 

I had a chance to see her once at a special luncheon at the University of Southern California. After the meal, she did a lengthy question and answer session. She said during the event Jeanne Moreau was one of her best friends. She had done a film for the BBC with Jeanne that was filmed in France, and they didn't know each other until the production. And she said they become instant pals.

They asked her which director she liked working with, and she raved about Robert Altman (she made two pictures with him). She referred to her early time in Hollywood as her Bogey Years, that's what she would say when they asked her about the movies she made in the 40s. She said when they made those films, it was obviously before TV and home video; and they never thought people would still be watching their performances decades later or even care about it.

A friend of mine whose father wrote the book on which THE SHOOTIST was based said he was on the set often and Bacall had problems with Duke. But she did not discuss John Wayne during the luncheon. He was not in good health at the time, and I think maybe those issues made him difficult for a lot of people to be around. I read the book after I had just seen the movie, and the book is very basic. It's a novella, not an actual novel. And her character in the book is very underdeveloped. I gained a greater appreciation for her when I realized how she brought the character to life. She's one of the best things in THE SHOOTIST. She might have started as a glamorous accessory to Bogart but she became a very good actress.

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, TB. I too like Bacall in that film and I particularly love her apartment which is the highest echelon of chic for the time period. Whenever I think of Bacall I always think of the nickname I think I read that Bogart's friends called her by...Ladder Legs!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, CaveGirl said:

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing, TB. I too like Bacall in that film and I particularly love her apartment which is the highest echelon of chic for the time period. Whenever I think of Bacall I always think of the nickname I think I read that Bogart's friends called her by...Ladder Legs!

Thanks CaveGirl. I like your comment about the apartment. What fabulous set designers MGM had.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 2.03.49 PM.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us