• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Saturday February 17, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-16 at 4.43.21 PM.png

Farley Granger on FilmStruck

EDGE OF DOOM with Dana Andrews

HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN with Danny Kaye

SENSO with Alida Valli

Such a shame - that Farley Granger decided to leave Hollywood.

To go to New York City and study acting.

He was already a star.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rayban said:

Such a shame - that Farley Granger decided to leave Hollywood.

To go to New York City and study acting.

He was already a star.

He went to Europe too, and made films in Italy.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, TopBilled said:

Friday February 16, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-15 at 12.08.32 PM.png

Written by Budd Schulberg on FilmStruck

ON THE WATERFRONT with Marlon Brando

THE HARDER THEY FALL with Humphrey Bogart

A FACE IN THE CROWD with Andy Griffith

A FACE IN THE CROWD is a winner...who'd have thought that Andy could play such a loathsome egomaniac so convincingly? 

I am aware though the movie came out a few years before he became a TV icon on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW.

THE HARDER THEY FALL is kind of painful for me to watch, knowing it's Bogey's last film. Still a good film though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

A FACE IN THE CROWD is a winner...who'd have thought that Andy could play such a loathsome egomaniac so convincingly? 

I am aware though the movie came out a few years before he became a TV icon on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW.

THE HARDER THEY FALL is kind of painful for me to watch, knowing it's Bogey's last film. Still a good film though.

There were probably people who watched to see if he could successfully play a nice guy when he signed on to do his own weekly series. Sheriff Taylor was casting against type for him in 1960.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

There were probably people who watched to see if he could successfully play a nice guy when he signed on to do his own weekly series. Sheriff Taylor was casting against type for him in 1960.

I have to disagree with you here. Andy played a similar character, even with Don Knotts by his side, in

No Time for Sergeants on Broadway in 1957 and in the 1958 movie.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I have to disagree with you here. Andy played a similar character, even with Don Knotts by his side, in

No Time for Sergeants on Broadway in 1957 and in the 1958 movie.

A similar character to Lonesome Rhodes or similar to Andy Taylor?

I think his role in NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS was still a boisterous one. When he started the sitcom, the goal was to take his persona in a new direction and reinvent it with a more subdued characterization. He became so identified with the Mayberry role (probably over-identified with it) that people had a hard time reconciling it with what he had done originally.

He tried to reinvent his persona again in the 70s when his follow-up sitcoms failed. He plays a perverted landlord in a TV movie called The Strangers in 7A. He also had a role as an evangelist singer that Lucy suspects of being a crook in an episode of Here's Lucy. That was probably his most unusual role, where he was still trading on being likable to the audience but having ulterior motives, which leads to Lucy's daughter Lucie following him to a motel room. 

In the 80s and 90s he was back to the more wholesome approach with Matlock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

A similar character to Lonesome Rhodes or similar to Andy Taylor?

I think his role in NO TIME FOR SERGEANTS was still a boisterous one. When he started the sitcom, the goal was to take his persona in a new direction and reinvent it with a more subdued characterization. He became so identified with the Mayberry role (probably over-identified with it) that people had a hard time reconciling it with what he had done originally.

He tried to reinvent his persona again in the 70s when his follow-up sitcoms failed. He plays a perverted landlord in a TV movie called The Strangers in 7A. He also had a role as an evangelist singer that Lucy suspects of being a crook in an episode of Here's Lucy. That was probably his most unusual role, where he was still trading on being likable to the audience but having ulterior motives, which leads to Lucy's daughter Lucie following him to a motel room. 

In the 80s and 90s he was back to the more wholesome approach with Matlock. 

Another thing I forgot to tell you. Was that Andy Griffith used to do comedy records that they played on the radio in the 1950s. And the character that he played in these  Records Was Andy Taylor more or less. He had a particular one that I really liked about describing football from the perspective of a country bumpkin who didn't really know what was going on.

If you haven't had a chance to listen to these records you will be pleasantly surprised that he is exactly the Andy Taylor character that you saw on TV, laid-back easy-going and  country.

Later in the seventies and eighties when he would do those horrendously dramatic roles  on made for TV movies, people were just shocked at his range and persona because he was so Typecast as Andy Taylor.  Before DVDs or even VHS, people didn't have an opportunity to see these old movies on a regular basis and a lot of people were not familiar with A Face in the Crowd. The first time I saw it was in Paris in one of those old revival movie theaters in the Latin Quarter in the 1980s.

But the difference between A Face in the Crowd and No Time for Sergeants is that one was a fake and the other was a legitimate personality.

Of all of the actors on sitcoms, the one that he reminded me the most of was Eddie Albert. It was years before I ever saw Eddie Albert in some of those serious performances and I had no idea that he was the actor of the kind of the depth that he had, although I had read about his Academy Award nomination.

Also the great Broadway actress Shirley Booth-- that's probably another performer that had people totally fooled-- there was a lot of respect for her but the average person just thought that TV was probably all she  had ever done in life. The cartoon of Hazel in the Saturday Evening Post was more famous than the actress Shirley Booth herself, even if she had won an Oscar once . LOL

Jim Backus might have been one of those kind of actors too.

Truly amazing the kind of Talent they had in those sitcoms.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Another thing I forgot to tell you. Was that Andy Griffith used to do comedy records that they played on the radio in the 1950s. And the character that he played in these  Records Was Andy Taylor more or less. He had a particular one that I really liked about describing football from the perspective of a country bumpkin who didn't really know what was going on.

If you haven't had a chance to listen to these records you will be pleasantly surprised that he is exactly the Andy Taylor character that you saw on TV, laid-back easy-going and  country.

Later in the seventies and eighties when he would do those horrendously dramatic roles  on made for TV movies, people were just shocked at his range and persona because he was so Typecast as Andy Taylor.  Before DVDs or even VHS, people didn't have an opportunity to see these old movies on a regular basis and a lot of people were not familiar with A Face in the Crowd. The first time I saw it was in Paris in one of those old revival movie theaters in the Latin Quarter in the 1980s.

But the difference between A Face in the Crowd and No Time for Sergeants is that one was a fake and the other was a legitimate personality.

Of all of the actors on sitcoms, the one that he reminded me the most of was Eddie Albert. It was years before I ever saw Eddie Albert in some of those serious performances and I had no idea that he was the actor of the kind of the depth that he had, although I had read about his Academy Award nomination.

Also the great Broadway actress Shirley Booth-- that's probably another performer that had people totally fooled-- there was a lot of respect for her but the average person just thought that TV was probably all she  had ever done in life. The cartoon of Hazel in the Saturday Evening Post was more famous than the actress Shirley Booth herself, even if she had won an Oscar once . LOL

Jim Backus might have been one of those kind of actors too.

Truly amazing the kind of Talent they had in those sitcoms.

I agree these performers had amazing range. Shirley Booth is one of my favorites, she could do it all.

When Griffith died a few years ago, I think people felt Andy Taylor died. Most didn't see he was another man entirely, capable of bringing a variety of characters to life. The landlord role in the 70s TV movie would shock a lot of these people! 

• Like 2

Sunday February 18, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-10 at 4.51.48 PM.png

40s crime on TCM

CROSSFIRE with Robert Ryan

JOHNNY EAGER with Robert Taylor

• Like 2

Monday February 19, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-18 at 12.32.55 PM.png

Bette Davis on TCM

THE LITTLE FOXES with Herbert Marshall

THE GREAT LIE with Mary Astor

• Like 1

Tuesday February 20, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-19 at 1.23.29 PM.png

Directed by Alexander Mackendrick on FilmStruck

WHISKY GALORE! with Basil Radford

THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT with Alec Guinness

MANDY with Jack Hawkins

THE MAGGIE with Paul Douglas

THE LADYKILLERS with Alec Guinness

SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS with Burt Lancaster

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

MANDY with Jack Hawkins

Yay, some of the best Ealing comedies on there!

• Like 1

Wednesday February 21, 2018

Screen shot 2018-02-20 at 4.29.04 PM.png

Mothers and daughters on TCM

MIN AND BILL with Marie Dressler

LADY FOR A DAY with May Robson

• Like 2

Thursday February 22, 2018screen-shot-2018-02-21-at-1-04-58-pm.png

"Goodbye" movies on TCM

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS with Greer Garson & Robert Donat

THE GOODBYE GIRL with Marsha Mason & Richard Dreyfuss

• Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 3:20 PM, TopBilled said:

MANDY with Jack Hawkins

Those are all winners, TB. I ordered "Whisky Galore" last year having never seen it for some odd reason. Great film!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Those are all winners, TB. I ordered "Whisky Galore" last year having never seen it for some odd reason. Great film!

Thanks...yes, I hope people are checking those films out on FilmStruck.

• Like 1

Friday February 23, 2018Screen shot 2018-02-22 at 1.38.01 PM.png

Goldwyn-Wyler classics on FilmStruck

THESE THREE with Miriam Hopkins

DODSWORTH with Walter Huston

DEAD END with Sylvia Sidney

WUTHERING HEIGHTS with Merle Oberon

THE WESTERNER with Gary Cooper

THE LITTLE FOXES with Bette Davis

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES with Fredric March

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday February 23, 2018Screen shot 2018-02-22 at 1.38.01 PM.png

Goldwyn-Wyler classics on FilmStruck

THESE THREE with Miriam Hopkins

DODSWORTH with Walter Huston

DEAD END with Sylvia Sidney

WUTHERING HEIGHTS with Merle Oberon

THE WESTERNER with Gary Cooper

THE LITTLE FOXES with Bette Davis

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES with Fredric March

Awesome lineup! Especially looking forward to WUTHERING HEIGHTS, THE LITTLE FOXES and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES.

1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Awesome lineup! Especially looking forward to WUTHERING HEIGHTS, THE LITTLE FOXES and THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES.

These are on FilmStruck, not TCM, in case you didn't realize that. It means they can be viewed as many times as you like while they remain available on FilmStruck.

Just now, TopBilled said:

These are on FilmStruck, not TCM, in case you didn't realize that. It means they can be viewed as many times as you like while they remain available on FilmStruck.

Oh, okay, thanks for the info.

2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Oh, okay, thanks for the info.

FilmStruck likes to celebrate classic directors. So this month they have a bunch of William Wyler flicks. Along with films from other directors that I've been mentioning on this thread.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

FilmStruck likes to celebrate classic directors. So this month they have a bunch of William Wyler flicks. Along with films from other directors that I've been mentioning on this thread.

It's not exactly from the classic film era, but I was very impressed with this week's director spotlight on Peter Greenaway. I've been hoping to see his movies for a many years, but they've been fairly difficult to find on DVD, as they've all been out of print for a long time. Now Filmstruck has added

• The Falls (1980)
  • The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)
  • A Zed & Two Noughts (1985)
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
  • Prospero's Books (1991)
  • The Pillow Book (1996)

While he's the director spotlight for this week, the films will be available through August.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

It's not exactly from the classic film era, but I was very impressed with this week's director spotlight on Peter Greenaway. I've been hoping to see his movies for a long time, but they've been fairly difficult to find on DVD, as they've all been out of print for a long time. Now Filmstruck has added

• The Falls (1980)
  • The Draughtsman's Contract (1982)
  • A Zed & Two Noughts (1985)
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
  • Prospero's Books (1991)
  • The Pillow Book (1996)

While he's the director spotlight for this week, the films will be available through August.

Thanks. How do you tell when the films will leave FilmStruck? I try to profile a lot of what they have but a few times I've mentioned something on here and by the end of the month it's gone.

Just now, TopBilled said:

Thanks. How do you tell when the films will leave FilmStruck? I try to profile a lot of what they have but a few times I've mentioned something on here and by the end of the month it's gone.

When you click on an individual movie and are taken to its page, on the right hand side underneath year and runtime, some will have an expiration date listed. It appears that it's August 18th for the Greenaway movies. There are also sections at the bottom of the Filmstruck and Criterion Channel pages listing movies "Leaving Soon". If there isn't a date listed, then they seem to have perpetual streaming rights.

• Thanks 1