TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3,395 posts in this topic

Just now, rayban said:

Dean Stockwell was an unforgettable child star.

I never get tired of "The Secret Garden" or "Kim".

Not to mention, he was one of the few child stars who successfully transitioned to a fruitful career as an adult, including a 1988 Oscar nomination for Married to the Mob.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rayban said:

Dean Stockwell was an unforgettable child star.

I never get tired of "The Secret Garden" or "Kim".

He was so adorable in those movies, as well as GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT.

And yes, I always admired how he managed to flourish in his career when others of his peers weren't as fortunate. 

Natalie Wood is another one who was able to make a successful acting career from childhood to adulthood.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved him later on in "Sons and Lovers" and "A Long Day's Journey Into Night".

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday March 7, 2018

Screen shot 2018-03-06 at 1.27.51 PM.png
Anne Jeffreys on TCM

DICK TRACY with Morgan Conway

RIFFRAFF with Pat O'Brien

DILLINGER with Lawrence Tierney

RETURN OF THE BADMEN with Randolph Scott

TRAIL STREET with Robert Ryan

STEP BY STEP with Lawrence Tierney 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday March 8, 2018

screen-shot-2018-02-04-at-2-55-47-pm.png
Bottle battle on TCM

PRESTIGE with Ann Harding

THE WET PARADE with Dorothy Jordan

DANGEROUS with Bette Davis

TOO MUCH TOO SOON with Errol Flynn

WAY BACK HOME with Frank Albertson

I'LL CRY TOMORROW with Susan Hayward

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES with Jack Lemmon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday March 8, 2018

screen-shot-2018-02-04-at-2-55-47-pm.png
Bottle battle on TCM

PRESTIGE with Ann Harding

THE WET PARADE with Dorothy Jordan

DANGEROUS with Bette Davis

TOO MUCH TOO SOON with Errol Flynn

WAY BACK HOME with Frank Albertson

I'LL CRY TOMORROW with Susan Hayward

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES with Jack Lemmon

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES has probably one of the most realistic, honest portrayals of alcoholism. Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick are both fabulous and devastating in it. The scene where (SPOILER) Jack falls off the wagon, gets drunk, and destroys all the flowers in the greenhouse, is particularly gut-wretching. 

Also appreciate that the movie doesn't exactly end on a happily-ever-after note. A lot of alcoholics usually end up drinking themselves to death, and sadly I suspect that is what is going to happen to Remick after the ending....so sad that she couldn't think enough of her family to want to get help, but you can't make someone stop drinking, they have to want to do it themselves, but sadly too many of them end up in the gutter.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Thursday March 8, 2018

screen-shot-2018-02-04-at-2-55-47-pm.png
Bottle battle on TCM

PRESTIGE with Ann Harding

THE WET PARADE with Dorothy Jordan

DANGEROUS with Bette Davis

TOO MUCH TOO SOON with Errol Flynn

WAY BACK HOME with Frank Albertson

I'LL CRY TOMORROW with Susan Hayward

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES with Jack Lemmon

Susan Hayward's performance in "I'll Cry Tomorrow" is one of the screen's great performances.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rayban said:

Susan Hayward's performance in "I'll Cry Tomorrow" is one of the screen's great performances.

She also played a drunk in SMASH-UP THE STORY OF A WOMAN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES has probably one of the most realistic, honest portrayals of alcoholism. Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick are both fabulous and devastating in it. The scene where (SPOILER) Jack falls off the wagon, gets drunk, and destroys all the flowers in the greenhouse, is particularly gut-wretching. 

Also appreciate that the movie doesn't exactly end on a happily-ever-after note. A lot of alcoholics usually end up drinking themselves to death, and sadly I suspect that is what is going to happen to Remick after the ending....so sad that she couldn't think enough of her family to want to get help, but you can't make someone stop drinking, they have to want to do it themselves, but sadly too many of them end up in the gutter.

Great comment. I agree that DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES is a harrowing depiction of alcoholism. Supposedly Lemmon battled the bottle off screen.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday March 9, 2018

Screen shot 2018-03-22 at 4.52.35 PM.png
Crime comedy with Edward G. Robinson on TCM

THE WHOLE TOWN’S TALKING with Jean Arthur

LARCENY INC. with Jane Wyman

A HOLE IN THE HEAD with Frank Sinatra

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Friday March 9, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 8.56.26 AM.jpg
Crime comedy with Edward G. Robinson on TCM

THE WHOLE TOWN’S TALKING with Jean Arthur

LARCENY INC. with Jane Wyman

A HOLE IN THE HEAD with Frank Sinatra

Definitely looking forward to THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING. Can't get enough of that film. EGR pulled off the meek guy/tough guy personas in one film brilliantly, can't get enough of his performance(s) in here either.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday March 10, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 7.53.41 AM

John Payne noir on TCM

KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL with Preston Foster

THE CROOKED WAY with Sonny Tufts

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday March 11, 2018

Screen shot 2018-03-10 at 2.11.55 PM

Directed by Fred Zinnemann on FilmStruck

EYES IN THE NIGHT with Edward Arnold

KID GLOVE KILLER with Van Heflin

THE SEVENTH CROSS with Spencer Tracy

THE SEARCH with Montgomery Clift

ACT OF VIOLENCE with Robert Ryan

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY with Burt Lancast

THE NUN’S STORY with Audrey Hepburn

THE SUNDOWNERS with Deborah Kerr

BEHOLD A PALE HORSE with Gregory Peck

A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS with Paul Scofield

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Search" with a young Montgomery Clift and little Ivan Jandl could never be forgotten.

Search+2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, rayban said:

"The Search" with a young Montgomery Clift and little Ivan Jandl could never be forgotten.

Search+2.jpg

Great image from a great movie. He earned a special juvenile Oscar award for his efforts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday March 12, 2018

Screen shot 2018-03-11 at 1.13.46 PM

Elizabeth Taylor in the 1940s on TCM

CYNTHIA with Mary Astor

A DATE WITH JUDY with Jane Powell

NATIONAL VELVET with Mickey Rooney

LITTLE WOMEN with Peter Lawford

LASSIE COME HOME with Roddy McDowall

COURAGE OF LASSIE with Frank Morgan

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Monday March 12, 2018

 

 

Elizabeth Taylor in the 1940s on TCM

CYNTHIA with Mary Astor

A DATE WITH JUDY with Jane Powell

NATIONAL VELVET with Mickey Rooney

LITTLE WOMEN with Peter Lawford

LASSIE COME HOME with Roddy McDowall

COURAGE OF LASSIE with Frank Morgan

I always loved NATIONAL VELVET, she was so enduring as Velvet, and she's helped  by a great supporting cast, Anne Revere and Donald Crisp as her parents and Angela Lansbury as her older sister.

I even liked Mickey Rooney in here. And the little boy was cute. As was "Pie", I love anything horse-related.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday March 13, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 11.01.12 AM

Elizabeth Taylor as Kay Banks on TCM

FATHER OF THE BRIDE with Spencer Tracy

FATHER'S LITTLE DIVIDEND with Joan Bennett

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Yes! Give me the Tracy film over the Steve Martin version any day (and I usually love Steve Martin).

Steve Martin has been in a lot of remakes. At least Diane Keaton is on hand to increase the value of those later films.

But the originals are oh so much better.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Steve Martin has been in a lot of remakes. At least Diane Keaton is on hand to increase the value of those later films.

But the originals are oh so much better.

Even Keaton couldn't save the crappy FATHER reboots for me. 

Spence and Joan Bennett rule.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday March 14, 2018

screen-shot-2018-03-13-at-11-01-58-am.jpg

Numbers game on FilmStruck

8 1/2 with Marcello Mastroianni

21 DAYS with Laurence Olivier

49TH PARALLEL with Leslie Howard

99 RIVER STREET with John Payne

20,000 YEARS IN SING SING with Spencer Tracy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday March 15, 2018
Screen shot 2018-03-14 at 12.30.18 PM.png

Taylor & Burton on TCM

THE SANDPIPER with Eva Marie Saint

THE TAMING OF THE SHREW with Michael York

DOCTOR FAUSTUS with Andreas Teuber

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday March 16, 2018
screen-shot-2017-05-31-at-6-34-45-am.png

Logging business on TCM

THE IRON MISTRESS with Alan Ladd

THE GO-GETTER with George Brent

VALLEY OF THE GIANTS with Wayne Morris

GOD’S COUNTRY AND THE WOMAN with George Brent

KING OF THE LUMBERJACKS with John Payne

GUNS OF THE TIMBERLAND with Alan Ladd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday March 17, 2018
Screen shot 2018-03-16 at 10.10.52 AM.png

St. Patrick’s Day on TCM

FLIGHT OF THE DOVES with Dorothy McGuire

PADDY O’DAY with Jane Withers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us