TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3,555 posts in this topic

Monday October 1, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.06.18 AM.jpg

Laurence Harvey on TCM

KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADERS with Rex Harrison

OF HUMAN BONDAGE with Kim Novak

THE OUTRAGE with Paul Newman

NIGHT WATCH with Elizabeth Taylor

F FOR FAKE with Orson Welles

BUTTERFIELD 8 with Elizabeth Taylor

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM with Claire Bloom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday October 2, 2018

screen2.jpg

Rita Hayworth musicals on TCM

YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH with Fred Astaire

YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER with Fred Astaire

MY GAL SAL with Victor Mature

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Monday October 1, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.06.18 AM.jpg

Laurence Harvey on TCM

KING RICHARD AND THE CRUSADERS with Rex Harrison

OF HUMAN BONDAGE with Kim Novak

THE OUTRAGE with Paul Newman

NIGHT WATCH with Elizabeth Taylor

F FOR FAKE with Orson Welles

BUTTERFIELD 8 with Elizabeth Taylor

THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM with Claire Bloom

"F for Fake" is such an off the wall film. Thanks for the heads up, TB!

Gotta love films about art forgery, since it's a career I am contemplating getting into asap.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

"F for Fake" is such an off the wall film. Thanks for the heads up, TB!

Gotta love films about art forgery, since it's a career I am contemplating getting into asap.

You be careful with that now, you hear? LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday October 3, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 1.52.18 PM.jpg

Hammer horror on Starz

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA with Herbert Lom

THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN with Peter Cushing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BUTTERFIELD 8 with Elizabeth Taylor

I enjoy movies with car chases, except this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

BUTTERFIELD 8 with Elizabeth Taylor

I enjoy movies with car chases, except this one.

Is there a specific reason why this movie doesn't "work" for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just being cute, and it isn't working. I am only talking the end of the film, the part I actually watched. TopBilled, I never said, the movie didn't work for me. I never said "work," did I? Turner Classic Movies was on the tube, while I was running jaws, the vacuum cleaner. I came up for air just in time to see the end of the movie. Maybe it was a good movie, I don't know. See how easy words can go wrong? From start to finish, it might be a good movie. I don't know. Reminded me of A Star Is Born with Kris Kristofferson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I am just being cute, and it isn't working. I am only talking the end of the film, the part I actually watched. TopBilled, I never said, the movie didn't work for me. I never said "work," did I? Turner Classic Movies was on the tube, while I was running jaws, the vacuum cleaner. I came up for air just in time to see the end of the movie. Maybe it was a good movie, I don't know. See how easy words can go wrong? From start to finish, it might be a good movie. I don't know. Reminded me of A Star Is Born with Kris Kristofferson.

Oh I see. To be honest, I didn't really care for BUTTERFIELD 8 when I watched it. But I also realized that while it may not have been for me, it might have been enjoyable to others. If we're talking Oscar, I think Liz's second Oscar is much more deserved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday October 4, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 1.49.54 PM.jpg

Funny ladies of the 1930s on TCM

I'M NO ANGEL with Mae West

DINNER AT EIGHT with Marie Dressler & Jean Harlow

COLLEGE SWING with Grace Allen & Martha Raye

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Oh I see. To be honest, I didn't really care for BUTTERFIELD 8 when I watched it. But I also realized that while it may not have been for me, it might have been enjoyable to others. If we're talking Oscar, I think Liz's second Oscar is much more deserved.

I just looked BUTTERFIELD 8 up and watched the trailer. Looks like a pretty powerful drama. While I didn't experience it myself, I am aware of BU8 being a telephone prefix. By the time I knew what a telephone was, those days were over, but I was on a party line telephone, like Doris Day and Rock Hudson. (Pillow Talk)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday October 5, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 12.12.21 PM.jpg

Margaret Lockwood on TCM

NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH with Rex Harrison

THE LADY VANISHES with Michael Redgrave

THE WICKED LADY with James Mason

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday October 6, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 3.08.56 PM.jpg

90s classics on Starz

EVE'S BAYOU with Lynn Whitfield

NIGHT AND THE CITY with Robert DeNiro

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY with Emma Thompson

NOBODY'S FOOL with Paul Newman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday October 7, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 5.03.01 PM.jpg

If you don't stop I'll tell Mummy! on TCM

THE MUMMY'S HAND with Dick Foran

THE MUMMY'S GHOST with John Carradine

THE MUMMY'S CURSE with Lon Chaney Jr.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monday October 8, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 11.25.28 AM.jpg

Fredric March on TCM

EXECUTIVE SUITE with William Holden

THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET with Norma Shearer

ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN with Martha Scott

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Monday October 8, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-04 at 11.25.28 AM.jpg

Fredric March on TCM

EXECUTIVE SUITE with William Holden

THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET with Norma Shearer

ONE FOOT IN HEAVEN with Martha Scott

He was so memorable in "Middle of the Night" with Kim Novak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rayban said:

He was so memorable in "Middle of the Night" with Kim Novak.

Yes, it's been awhile since TCM has aired it. He seemed to do quite well with the character roles that occurred later in his career.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday October 9, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 7.56.05 PM.jpg

Rita Hayworth musicals on TCM

COVER GIRL with Gene Kelly

TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT with Lee Bowman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to seeing TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT again. I haven't seen it in at least 10 years.

For a musical, it tends to be a bit somber (with London during WWII within it's plot.) Beautiful technicolor, though, and some rarely shown song and dance numbers. Dancer Marc Platt and dancer/choreographer Jack Cole are in it, too, whom I love.

*Look for the scene on the rehearsal stage with Rita and company and see if you can spot the uncredited Shelley Winters.                                                                                      

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT again. I haven't seen it in at least 10 years.

For a musical, it tends to be a bit somber (with London during WWII within it's plot.) Beautiful technicolor, though, and some rarely shown song and dance numbers. Dancer Marc Platt and dancer/choreographer Jack Cole are in it, too, whom I love.

*Look for the scene on the rehearsal stage with Rita and company and see if you can spot the uncredited Shelley Winters.                                                                                      

It's a good example of Lee Bowman getting a lead part in a prestige picture. Typically he played secondary roles.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday October 10, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 9.27.42 AM.png

Christopher Lee as Dracula on TCM

HORROR OF DRACULA with Peter Cushing

DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS with Barbara Shelley

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday October 11, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 1.30.57 PM.jpg

Funny ladies of the 1940s on TCM

HIS GIRL FRIDAY with Rosalind Russell

THE MORE THE MERRIER with Jean Arthur

I LOVE YOU AGAIN with Myrna Loy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday October 12, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.07.15 AM.jpg

Paramount westerns on Starz

THE VIRGINIAN with Joel McCrea

SHANE with Alan Ladd

RUN FOR COVER with James Cagney

THE LONELY MAN with Jack Palance

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday October 13, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.10.01 PM.jpg

James Stewart directed by Alfred Hitchcock on Starz

ROPE with Farley Granger

REAR WINDOW with Grace Kelly

THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH with Doris Day

VERTIGO with Barbara Bel Geddes

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday October 14, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 1.21.11 PM.jpg

If you don't stop I'll tell Mummy! on TCM

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE MUMMY with Abbott & Costello

MUMMY'S BOYS with Wheeler & Woolsey

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us