TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

2,721 posts in this topic

...This is why people are turning the channel and watching Svengoolie.

C'mon now, TB. "Svengoolie"?! REALLY???!!!

(...dude, HIS jokes are even worse than MINE!!!) 

LOL

MeTV has a competitor in the NY market GetTV which also shows similar fare, albeit also with commercials I watched The Big Heat yesterday an when Alice B. came on I popped in the excellent Neo Noir, The Last Seduction

Hey, I like Svengoolie & the movies he shows too & have often caught, at least, part of his program, since I find TCM weekend primetime programming usually pretty boring. But, I assume, the programmers aren't aiming at folks like us, but the more occasional TCM viewers, for whatever their reasoning might be.

However, I don't see where statements like "A commercial and Svengoolie-interrupted Curse of the Werewolf beats out Essentials." based on movie searches on TCM's database, really PROVE anything about actual viewership #s (these aren't Nielsen ratings), or popularity of films OR actors.

:huh:

MeTV has a competitor in the NY market GetTV which also shows similar fare, albeit also with commercials

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

The only commercials I would ever want to see on a movie channel would be a collection of classic commercials from the 40's through the 70's, as MeTV has on its website.  I certainly don't want to see any current commercials interrupting the middle of a movie---not even the multiplexes have sunk that low, though I'm sure they'll get around to it. ;)

Gettv shows only classic Golden Age movies and Movies! Tv Network shows mostly classic movies albeit with commercials.

Good options.

My own personal research shows that a werewolf film almost

always beats out a film that references a gal pal of Gertrude

Stein's. Even the marijuana brownies are a wash.

MeTV mostly shows a lot of 1950's-80's TV shows.  We like it and watch it a lot.  this network on the otherhand has switched from old TV shows to movies for the most part.  This is more of a threat to TCM, BUT not really.  They seem to show two different varieties of shows.  FXM is more of a threat to TCM, especially at night and early AM when they usually do not have commercials.

Considering that TCM is broadening out to 1980's movies, this means there is a huge pool of movies for all the networks to show.  

C'mon now, TB. "Svengoolie"?! REALLY???!!!

(...dude, HIS jokes are even worse than MINE!!!) 

LOL

Yeah, but that's why he's funny. Tcm programmers are telling themselves there's a niche out there for all this frenchy eclectic fare they're shoving in the faces of their viewers BUT that niche may not be quite as big as tcm programmers are telling themselves that it is if svengoolie and his fare are beating them out. 

Svengoolie and the gorgeous Cassandra, Mistress of the Dark.  :)

2ppycds.jpg

MeTV has a competitor in the NY market GetTV which also shows similar fare, albeit also with commercials

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

The only commercials I would ever want to see on a movie channel would be a collection of classic commercials from the 40's through the 70's, as MeTV has on its website.  I certainly don't want to see any current commercials interrupting the middle of a movie---not even the multiplexes have sunk that low, though I'm sure they'll get around to it. ;)

I have to say however Andy, that while I too of course prefer TCM's commercial-free presentations of film, I have noticed that at least the intervals between the insertions of commercials on MeTV presented classic movies is somewhat mercifully long.

(...but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln would probably tell you that "Our American Cousin" was just okay) ;)

Tcm oughta compromise. Put the frenchy stuff on between midnite and six in the morning so most viewers don't have to be burdened with watching it.  :D

I have to say however Andy, that while I too of course prefer TCM's commercial-free presentations of film, I have noticed that at least the intervals between the insertions of commercials on MeTV presented classic movies is somewhat mercifully long.

(...but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln would probably tell you that "Our American Cousin" was just okay) ;)

I have been watching the MOVIES station since they show a lot of noir \ crime \ mystery movies from the 40s and 50s.   But MOVIES does have a very limited rotation.    e.g . they will show the same movie 3 times in a day and 10 times in a week.   

So it isn't only the commercials.      Yea,  I wish TCM would show the type of Columbia and Fox films that MOVIES shows.    Yes, TCM did finally show Laura (which MOVIES was showing often),  but I'm really hoping TCM does more to get access to films those studios.

Hey, I like Svengoolie & the movies he shows too & have often caught, at least, part of his program, since I find TCM weekend primetime programming usually pretty boring. But, I assume, the programmers aren't aiming at folks like us, but the more occasional TCM viewers, for whatever their reasoning might be.
However, I don't see where statements like "A commercial and Svengoolie-interrupted Curse of the Werewolf beats out Essentials." based on movie searches on TCM's database, really PROVE anything about actual viewership #s (these aren't Nielsen ratings), or popularity of films OR actors.
:huh:

Mr666,

I agree with your last statement. Totally unsubstantiated conclusions are being drawn on the basis on the most searched titles in a given day. The methdology used is next to nonexistent, this daily list being it. There is nothing scientific about the list, nor is it always accurate or complete, as recent days have shown duplicate titles or missing titles. Plus, there is no control over this; should someone want to spike the results, just click into the same title numerous times. Also, if someone gets knocked offline, and goes back in a few times to finish reading on the titles, this may also skew the results. We have no way of knowing.

MeTV, being a free channel, may possibly have many more viewers than TCM, even with its apparently limited markets. Not everyone can or is willing to pay for cable. And of those that do subscribe, a minute portion may actually tune into TCM. But as it is not monitored by an ratings service, we can never know. so this is all speculation on my part, but so is the premise that is the reason for this thread.

Tcm oughta compromise. Put the frenchy stuff on between midnite and six in the morning so most viewers don't have to be burdened with watching it.  :D

Fortunately I'm an insomniac/night owl.   ;)

That's exactly the time slot I was going to suggest for John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Mickey Rooney, Elvis Presley, and just about every musical made after Footlight Parade and before The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. :)

That's exactly the time slot I was going to suggest for John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Mickey Rooney, Elvis Presley, and just about every musical made after Footlight Parade and before The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. :)

And lemme guess here, Andy! THIS is because THAT WAY as the sun rises at YOUR house, THIS scene in a "certain" Musical will ALSO be showing on your TV at the same time, and so YOU can welcome yet ANOTHER beautiful day WITH it, RIGHT?! ;)

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw[/media]

LOL

To reinforce a point I made somewhere lower in the thread: just noticed that- at least as per the clip that shows in the promo- Lifeboat is going to be on Essentials JR. later in the summer.

Yes, the 1944 Lifeboat.

Not only is this an Essentials "double", it's a really, really, really stupid choice; even worse than To Be or Not to Be. Fine films both, but there is not a child alive who could make it through either. 

To reinforce a point I made somewhere lower in the thread: just noticed that- at least as per the clip that shows in the promo- Lifeboat is going to be on Essentials JR. later in the summer.

Yes, the 1944 Lifeboat.

Not only is this an Essentials "double", it's a really, really, really stupid choice; even worse than To Be or Not to Be. Fine films both, but there is not a child alive who could make it through either. 

Completely agree.  Another questionable choice for EJr.

Now, now, Lorna. I first saw Lifeboat when I was four, and for years afterwards would do Tallulah Bankhead imitations whenever I got the chance. Why, I even did a Tallulah imitation in a grade 6 talent show at my elementary school, which won honourable mention.

Lifeboat-Classic-DVD-008.jpg

Of course, I had a little difficulty finding a classmate who resembled John Hodiak.

FXM is more of a threat to TCM, especially at night and early AM when they usually do not have commercials.

Considering that TCM is broadening out to 1980's movies, this means there is a huge pool of movies for all the networks to show.  

I do not believe that Fox Movie Channel IS a threat to TCM, nor do I think or believe that TCM is broadening out to 1980's films.

What source is telling you this?

Just a simple search will show you that TCM is not showing anymore 1980's films now that they were five years ago.

Now, now, Lorna. I first saw Lifeboat when I was four, and for years afterwards would do Tallulah Bankhead imitations whenever I got the chance. Why, I even did a Tallulah imitation in a grade 6 talent show at my elementary school, which won honourable mention.

Yes, one of my favorite movies that I first saw when I was in elementary school (I think I was home sick from school and saw it on cable TV) was PORTRAIT OF JENNIE. The memory of this movie stayed with me and I did not see it again until relatively recently when I saw it on TCM a couple of years ago. 

Kids can appreciate these kinds of movies more than some people think.

Or perhaps misswonderly and I were just exceptional children . . .

I do not believe that Fox Movie Channel IS a threat to TCM, nor do I think or believe that TCM is broadening out to 1980's films.

What source is telling you this?

Just a simple search will show you that TCM is not showing anymore 1980's films now that they were five years ago.

But the number of 1980s films being shown five years ago was a problem five years ago (for loyal viewers since day one who do not want to see postcode movies).  The number is irrelevant-- the fact they exist/air at all on TCM is what upsets a certain group of people.

How does a search on TCM indicate how many people watched something?  Wouldn't it be more an indicator of limited knowledge about a film?  I certainly wouldn't do a TCM seach for a film I knew.

Mr666,

I agree with your last statement. Totally unsubstantiated conclusions are being drawn on the basis on the most searched titles in a given day. The methdology used is next to nonexistent, this daily list being it. There is nothing scientific about the list, nor is it always accurate or complete, as recent days have shown duplicate titles or missing titles. Plus, there is no control over this; should someone want to spike the results, just click into the same title numerous times. Also, if someone gets knocked offline, and goes back in a few times to finish reading on the titles, this may also skew the results. We have no way of knowing.

MeTV, being a free channel, may possibly have many more viewers than TCM, even with its apparently limited markets. Not everyone can or is willing to pay for cable. And of those that do subscribe, a minute portion may actually tune into TCM. But as it is not monitored by an ratings service, we can never know. so this is all speculation on my part, but so is the premise that is the reason for this thread.

None of what you wrote is speculation. TCM does not have commercials so therefore it does not need to subscribe to any of the Ratings services.

As far as any supposed competition between MeTV and TCM, again that is only speculation. I have a friend in Chicago who does not have cable. She gets several of these tv channels where they show the old series from the 60s and 70s and then at night they show old movies. She is completely satisfied with that.

The search feature again is being discussed as if it was really being used as a barometer of sorts. As I wrote in another thread earlier today if TCM had some sort of counter to show exactly how many people were using the search feature then possibly we could see just how many people are searching. Again, very un-scientific.

How does a search on TCM indicate how many people watched something?  Wouldn't it be more an indicator of limited knowledge about a film?  I certainly wouldn't do a TCM seach for a film I knew.

We've discussed this before. We cannot assume that people are using the database just for films they do not know about-- they may also be looking up films they have seen before, to check articles or new user comments or production information. There are many reasons people use the database.  But the rankings on the top ten list do indicate what is currently popular.

Right, there is no way to know why people are searching for a specific movie.

But I've noticed a few times that a movie that has recently aired will be among the popular searches so I think some people do see a movie on TCM and then search to learn more about it . . . or maybe saw part of it and want to see when it will air again.