TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3,703 posts in this topic

Your kidding right? Not TCM.

Shouldn't tcm programmers already have some intuitive awareness and or sense of just what films their viewers wanna see without database searches? Beyond database searches, don't they know?  :lol: 

Shouldn't tcm programmers already have some intuitive awareness and or sense of just what films their viewers wanna see without database searches? Beyond database searches, don't they know?  :lol: 

I never wrote that the programmers were using the Database Searches to program their selections. Please re-read what I wrote.

I never wrote that the programmers were using the Database Searches to program their selections. Please re-read what I wrote.

Well what are they using? Tarot cards?  :)

Instead of I Love you, Alice B. Toklas maybe tcm shoulda shown one of Paul Naschy's spanish werewolf horror flicks. Hey, man. I woulda watched something neat like that. :) That's it! An entire nite of Bill Hader hosting the films of Paul Naschy as spanish werewolf Waldemar Daninsky   :lol:

2mzbk9v.jpg

It is just lame for tcm to choose saturday nites to placate their eclecticism binge and sway viewers away with obscure frenchy flicks.  :)  Yeah, I don't doubt that most of the time mainstream american films are the predominant offerings...but not last saturday nite.

Wait a minute. There were no "obscure frenchy flicks" on Saturday night (June 21).

It was an American film, the one TB keeps saying nobody liked because they didn't look it up on the database, or something. ("I Love You, Alice B. Toklas").  Then they aired a couple of British films ("Georgy Girl" and "Blow Up".)

There were no "frenchy" films aired that night.

Are you thinking of the evening devoted to Rene Clair movies? That was a week night, I think maybe Wednesday (can't go back that far on the schedule to double check.)

And can you stop saying "obscure frenchy flicks"? I admit, the phrase does kind of make me laugh, but only because it sounds so asinine. Quite a lot of people actually like "obscure Frenchy flicks".

• Like 1

Instead of I Love you, Alice B. Toklas maybe tcm shoulda shown one of Paul Naschy's spanish werewolf horror flicks. Hey, man. I woulda watched something neat like that. :) That's it! An entire nite of Bill Hader hosting the films of Paul Naschy as spanish werewolf Waldemar Daninsky   :lol:

I would not mind an evening of Paul Naschy, but first, I'm still waiting for The Brainiac, Black Pit of Dr. M, and other masterpieces of Mexican horror. Seriously, this is a neglected genre to which attention must be paid!

argh-brainiac002_jpg.jpg

I would not mind an evening of Paul Naschy, but first, I'm still waiting for The Brainiac, Black Pit of Dr. M, and other masterpieces of Mexican horror. Seriously, this is a neglected genre to which attention must be paid!

May I suggest you go straight to the TCM Database. Clicking on movies in this genre will surely make them more popular.

• Like 1

It is just lame for tcm to choose saturday nites to placate their eclecticism binge and sway viewers away with obscure frenchy flicks.  :)  Yeah, I don't doubt that most of the time mainstream american films are the predominant offerings...but not last saturday nite.

I don't find TCM programming to be lame.   Again,  you have NO evidence that TCM doesn't show American Studio Era movies around 80% of the time.    Instead you find a few nights where you don't like the programming and you start making assumptions.   Assumptions that most here (based on the feedback I'm reading)  feel are way off base.   

Frankly I,  as well as others here,  like obscure French films.    As long as most of TCM's programming is devoted to Studio Era movies I'm fine.      One can grow by experiencing something different. 

Agree, and the last word of your post can be said for that other fiasco Dame May Whitty vs Rock Hudson. I'm beginning to wish that they would take that TCM database and trash it. It's being misunderstood and it is being used to create a lot of nonsense.

I don't think the point of going on to a thread should be to belittle a poster for other threads he or she may have created. We get the point that you do not like those topics and consider them inferior, but yet here you are posting away like the internet is going out of style, contributing to these discussions that are beneath you day after day after day. (insert Jewish expression of exasperation Grandma used till the day she died)

May I suggest you go straight to the TCM Database. Clicking on movies in this genre will surely make them more popular.

Something the SCARLET STREET fans failed to do recently.

And can you stop saying "obscure frenchy flicks"? I admit, the phrase does kind of make me laugh, but only because it sounds so asinine. Quite a lot of people actually like "obscure Frenchy flicks".

Comment seems like a put-down. How can this at all help promote a positive and tolerant discussion? 

I think you and Nipkow are fleshing out a subtopic-- namely, do the programmers use the database info to determine whether a film should be scheduled/rescheduled.  For that matter, do they use the feedback presented on the message boards?  That subtopic and all related conspiracy theories should probably be covered in a spinoff thread.

I don't think the point of going on to a thread should be to belittle a poster for other threads he or she may have created. We get the point that you do not like those topics and consider them inferior, but yet here you are posting away like the internet is going out of style, contributing to these discussions that are beneath you day after day after day. (insert Jewish expression of exasperation Grandma used till the day she died)

I agree that one shouldn't belitte a poster for other threads.   But it is fair to point out to a poster that they are making false assumptions,  misreading limited data points to a crazy degree and to make fun of them (in a gentle way) for doing so.

This is what I see most users doing here.    So go ahead and continue ideas but don't expect others to just accept them.   

Also,  what about how this thread was started?    Starting a post with a post saying 'hey, I'm going to post some major news,  come back later'.

What does that say to the community here?

• Like 1

All good points Holden. Unfortunately they are missing the points we continue to make.

I really do feel at this stage that FredCDobbs must have a fan club or something because he is the top of the conspiracy pyramid around here. And has many followers.

Just kidding!!!

Our fellow poster FredCDobbs is becoming the but-t of a joke around here, just because he espouses (strongly) a particular point of view about classic film airplay that others don't (or won't) accept.  I think we need to stop picking on Fred and give him a little latitude, like everyone else is allowed to have...fair is fair.

I agree that one shouldn't belitte a poster for other threads.   But it is fair to point out to a poster that they are making false assumptions,  misreading limited data points to a crazy degree and to make fun of them (in a gentle way) for doing so.

This is what I see most users doing here.    So go ahead and continue ideas but don't expect others to just accept them.   

Also,  what about how this thread was started?    Starting a post with a post saying 'hey, I'm going to post some major news,  come back later'.

What does that say to the community here?

It doesn't say anything wrong as far as I am concerned. And I strongly urge you to reconsider implying otherwise. There are different ways to present views and to get people interested in thread topics. Let's not bash.

"The Essentials" is just a marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

Now this statement I agree with one hundred percent.  That's another topic people could go ten rounds discussing!

I wrote:

"...And can you stop saying "obscure frenchy flicks"? I admit, the phrase does kind of make me laugh, but only because it sounds so asinine. Quite a lot of people actually like "obscure Frenchy flicks"."

and TB responded:

Comment seems like a put-down. How can this at all help promote a positive and tolerant discussion? 

Now, don't you think referring to French foreign films as "obscure Frenchy flicks", and making the erroneous assumption that people don't want to see them on TCM, is also a "put -down", if only of obscure French films?

Besides, they're not that obscure.

Nobody here is being half as mean or "intolerant" as you seem to think. Disagreeing with others does not make one negative or intolerant, it just means we disagree.

• Like 2

It doesn't say anything wrong as far as I am concerned. And I strongly urge you to reconsider implying otherwise. There are different ways to present views and to get people interested in thread topics. Let's not bash.

Sorry but I'm going to ignore your strong urges.      Of course there are different ways to present views but no POV was presented in the original post.      I can only see one reason for such a post.   

Now, don't you think referring to French foreign films as "obscure Frenchy flicks", and making the erroneous assumption that people don't want to see them on TCM, is also a "put -down", if only of obscure French films.

Personally I'd love to see a month where Eric Rohmer were given the Truffaut or Hitchcock treatment, or at least be given a SUTS day for directors. It'd sure beat another SUTS day for Katharine Hepburn's top 10 movies that get played all the time anyway, but the point is variety.

Actually Singing in the Rain is one of the few musicals between Footlight Parade and The Umbrellas of Cherbourg that I can watch without falling asleep or groaning in agony.  I like the Garland version of A Star Is Born even more, but maybe that's because I don't really think of it as a musical in the same way.

Really?  Even with that wall-hitting vanity number (Broadway Melody) that stops the film dead in its track?.  Also, you don't get even the slightest bit droopy-eyed by the thousandth time you've hear "I Will Wait for You", in CHERBOURG?

Something the SCARLET STREET fans failed to do recently.

i.e. not to make the database top-10 list.

==

Yet Scarlet Street will remain one of the most beloved noirs ever...with or without the help of the database.

:)

• Like 1

TopBilled:

Ever since you started this thread, there's been an ongoing argument. It seems to be primarily based on the fact that many of us here give little credence to the significance of this database you rely on so much as a barometre of what movie fans like and are interested in. At least, we give little credence to the point you seem to want to make with it in terms of how many views a given movie gets on a given day.

Let's take a deep breath and back up a bit.

What, exactly, is your point? Let's say - and I don't say it - but let's say, just to move beyond the whole "top 10 films viewed on the database" thing, that you're right, that it is some kind of indicator of what people are looking up and are researching.

Ok: what now? Take it to the next step. Even if this "number of views per movie, 10 ten movies looked up today on the database" business meant what you seem to think it means, ie, that those 10 films are the most popular at that time...so what?

What are you trying to say with that information?

And just to emphasize again: I do not for a moment believe that number of views for a film on a database means anything in particular. But you seem to think it does. So...what does it mean, and to what end are you insisting on its significance? What do we do now?

• Like 2

I don't belittle you. I mentioned the other thread because it has the same (dubious) premise as this one---the now notorious data base. FWIW you have initiated threads on this board that I like.

Now, don't you think referring to French foreign films as "obscure Frenchy flicks", and making the erroneous assumption that people don't want to see them on TCM, is also a "put -down", if only of obscure French films.

Personally I'd love to see a month where Eric Rohmer were given the Truffaut or Hitchcock treatment, or at least be given a SUTS day for directors. It'd sure beat another SUTS day for Katharine Hepburn's top 10 movies that get played all the time anyway, but the point is variety.

Andy,  what you mention about variety is a key point and valid as it relates to the title of this thread.   Do other stations like Me-TV offer films that TCM does NOT?     As I noted stations like MOVIES do offer American Studio era films,  mostly from Columbia and Fox that TCM does NOT offer.       

So while I'm laughing at the over the top use of databases searches this thread is still making a valid point.    TCM needs to do more to get access to films that they don't or rarely show.    NOW:  I would like most of these films to be American Studio Era films since I feel that is the CORE of TCM's branding,   but I also welcome films outside of that as long as the percentage devoted to those films is less than 20% or so. 

.. Do other stations like Me-TV offer films that TCM does NOT? ..

I've been watching quite a bit of GetTV lately. Owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, most films are pre-1970s classics from their Sony Pictures Television library. There are only a couple I've seen so far which I can remember seeing here on TCM - for me, almost all have been rarely seen films. It's like a whole new world of film. I suppose TCM has some sort of restricted access to this library.

• Like 1