TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

3,691 posts in this topic

Hmmmm...can't say I've ever seen this one, ND.

(...so tell me...does Arthur Franz light-up the screen like he always does in movies???)

LOL

He lent some fine support in movies like Sands of Iwo Jima and The Caine Mutiny and he was a real life pow who escaped from a WWII prison camp   :)

He was also in The Young Lions too.  :)  Supporting actors like Arthur Franz never got any respect. When was the last time Osborne asked Rex Reason (who is still alive) to come on and talk about This Island Earth? Maybe even sit in and co-host an airing of This Island Earth.

rjmede.jpg

We've had all these stations in my area. We had RTV, which was almost exactly like ME-TV and Antenna TV, but the local carrier swapped it out for a lifestyle channel, then realized their mistake and added ME. 

I like GET first for films because they are almost always from the studio era and rarely things TCM shows. MOVIES! is good, but does break in some newer content. THIS started out giving us studio era films when it began-it was actually the first place I saw YOUNG TOM EDISON-but now seems to be strictly devoted to mid-1960s on. 

ME-TV regularly changes its lineup, which is good when they are are showing reruns of weekly series five days a week!  COZI seems to do the same. I wish my cable had COZI, because its OTA signal often breaks up depending on the weather. Antenna and RTV seem to run the same lineup into the ground. Antenna was showing 1950s Columbias overnight a few years ago, but that has stopped.   

Good post. And i think your comments prove that less time is devoted to TCM programming when you have these other options that cater to your need for more studio-era classics.

Good post. And i think your comments prove that less time is devoted to TCM programming when you have these other options that cater to your need for more studio-era classics.

I half agree with this.  Even before we had these channels, if TCM or AMC (when they were a movie channel) were not showing a film I wanted to see (regardless of the era), I still didn't watch it.  Same with Me, Get, MOVIES, whatever.  I only watch (record) when they're showing something I want to see.  My biggest issue with TCM, is that FIOS does not carry the HD channel, so in many cases, MOVIES picture quality is superior.  If TCM is showing a widescreen film, I need to zoon in on the image to fill the width of my screen.  MOVIES, show widescreen films, mostly, at 16 x 9, so they're doing a bit of cropping on some of their titles, but the quality of the image is better, regardless of the aspect ratio.  I prefer to watch a film on MOVIES over TCM, but that has more to do with my provider than the station itself.

He lent some fine support in movies like Sands of Iwo Jima and The Caine Mutiny and he was a real life pow who escaped from a WWII prison camp   :)

I guess that that was my point, ND...In supporting roles, Franz might have been just fine, but in a lead role???

(...and thus the reason I made that pointed little joke there...though this DOESN'T mean I'd automatically pass on watching that movie if TCM would show it, as per your request...who knows?!...Arthur COULD surprise me and hold my interest in it)

He was also in The Young Lions too.  :)  Supporting actors like Arthur Franz never got any respect. When was the last time Osborne asked Rex Reason (who is still alive) to come on and talk about This Island Earth? Maybe even sit in and co-host an airing of This Island Earth.

rjmede.jpg

This continuing disregard for many sci-fi genre films and it's stalwarts like Franz and Reason is in part a major reason why some viewers are turning to other outlets like MOVIES! and Me TV.

I mean Rex Reason appeared along side Clark Gable and Sidney Poitier no less in Band of Angels. Isn't that enough???  :angry: These aging guys like Rex Reason aren't going to be with us forever, you know.

fxreyman-

"There is a wealth of information that our fans bring to the message boards and even though it may look like we are not paying attention, rest assured we are."

Then we can expect to see The Flame Barrier starring Arthur Franz and Kathleen Crowley scheduled for a tcm airing real soon. Yes?  :) 

6zshm0.jpg

Geeze, I surely hope ALL the info I posted you were able to understand? Why don't you email TCM and ask them to look into this. Maybe they will respond to you?

This continuing disregard for many sci-fi genre films and it's stalwarts like Franz and Reason is in part a major reason why some viewers are turning to other outlets like MOVIES! and Me TV.

You might be right about that.

And regarding this "culling" which the MOVIES and MeTV network might be doing from the TCM "herd"...I have to say since I switched from DirectTV to cable a few months ago and am now receiving both of them, I have been using them as my new "fallback" option when TCM is showing a movie that I'm already well-versed in, or for whatever reason have little interest in viewing.

• Like 1

Geeze, I surely hope ALL the info I posted you were able to understand? Why don't you email TCM and ask them to look into this. Maybe they will respond to you?

Not me. I got better things to do with my time. I just wish they would show something like The Flame Barrier just once but hey, if they ain't gonna show it they ain't gonna show it. I'm not gonna beg. Besides, I've seen it lately. I just think tcm oughta show some new fare. I mean how many times can they beat the same ol' stuff into the ground over and over?  :lol:

Not me. I got better things to do with my time. I just wish they would show something like The Flame Barrier just once but hey, if they ain't gonna show it then they ain't gonna show it. I'm not gonna beg. Besides, I've seen it lately. I just think tcm oughta show some new fare. I mean how many times can they beat the same stuff into the ground over and over?  :lol:

Really? Then what the **** are you doing here so often?

You might be right about that.

And regarding this "culling" which the MOVIES and MeTV network might be doing from the TCM "herd"...I have to say since I switched from DirectTV to cable a few months ago and am now receiving both of them, I have been using them as my new "fallback" option when TCM is showing a movie that I'm already well-versed in, or for whatever reason have little interest in viewing.

As we often do we view this the same way (as well as that picture of Kate.   I have one from the same period on my wall of actresses,  it is a side view and people even comment 'that is Hepburn'    (which to me says they are surprised she looked so feminine,  but hey they don't know much about classic movie stars).

Hey, this thread is about why Me TV might be beating tcm out viewership-wise on some nites. I'm just expressing some opinions. I'm certainly not going to demand that tcm show what I wanna see. I mean who am I to do that? I'm just a nobody who sat in front of the idiot box too much my first 20 years of life is all and I have formed some opinions. Maybe they don't seem valid to some of the professional film aficionadoes around here but I do dare to think they might have a smidgeon of geniune validity. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see 'er.  :)  

"I talked back."

1zb4ajs.jpg

• Like 2

I just wish they would show something like The Flame Barrier just once but hey, if they ain't gonna show it they ain't gonna show it.

You've been requesting this for years (under various screennames, of course). It's on youtube, if anybody really wants to see it.

Hey, this thread is about why Me TV might be beating tcm out viewership-wise on some nites. I'm just expressing some opinions. I'm certainly not going to demand that tcm show what I wanna see. I mean who am I to do that? I'm just a nobody who sat in front of the idiot box too much my first 20 years of life is all and I have formed some opinions. Maybe they don't seem valid to some of the professional film aficionadoes around here but I do dare to think they might have a smidgeon of geniune validity. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see 'er.

There is nothing wrong with you expressing your opinions. On the contrary we want your opinions. And I am sorry if I wrote what I did, but I guess (much like TopBilled and possibly a few others around here) when we are asked questions about why such and such is happening or in your case on how TCM programs, we all, I think we want to be able to provide answers where some are asking questions. Hopefully a little appreciation is available. And if it is not, that is okay as well.

We don't all have the answers to why TCM does what they do, all we can do really is pay attention to guests who appear on other websites and or appear on TCM to explain how the nuts and the bolts of the station operates. The information I provided you was info I had copied and pasted into another document for safe keeping and to refer to whenever this topic might come up again.

Mr Tabesh appeared on the Silver Screen Oasis a few years back and gave quite a lengthy question and answer session where many of these questions that many fans of TCM had for many years. I decided to pull together as many of those Q and A's that seemed to be relevant to what you were asking, so that you could get a much fuller picture of what the TCM programmers have to go through to bring movies to the channel

I am sorry for the length of my reply to you but again I wanted to see if the answers I provided to you and maybe to others reading this thread would be able to understand what Mr. Tabesh was being asked and how he answered. It is not so much me and or other so called aficionado's (and I do not consider myself one) to run this place so that those with less knowledge won't feel welcomed here. Everyone should and have the right to express themselves to further gain or share knowledge, have fun and make life-long friends.

My sin was that I took myself too seriously for a moment and forgot that many may not have the knowledge or info that they are seeking and that I should just present any pertinent info that I possess and move on from there.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with you expressing your opinions. On the contrary we want your opinions. And I am sorry if I wrote what I did, but I guess (much like TopBilled and possibly a few others around here) when we are asked questions about why such and such is happening or in your case on how TCM programs, we all, I think we want to be able to provide answers where some are asking questions. Hopefully a little appreciation is available. And if it is not, that is okay as well.

We don't all have the answers to why TCM does what they do, all we can do really is pay attention to guests who appear on other websites and or appear on TCM to explain how the nuts and the bolts of the station operates. The information I provided you was info I had copied and pasted into another document for safe keeping and to refer to whenever this topic might come up again.

Mr Tabesh appeared on the Silver Screen Oasis a few years back and gave quite a lengthy question and answer session where many of these questions that many fans of TCM had for many years. I decided to pull together as many of those Q and A's that seemed to be relevant to what you were asking, so that you could get a much fuller picture of what the TCM programmers have to go through to bring movies to the channel

I am sorry for the length of my reply to you but again I wanted to see if the answers I provided to you and maybe to others reading this thread would be able to understand what Mr. Tabesh was being asked and how he answered. It is not so much me and or other so called aficionado's (and I do not consider myself one) to run this place so that those with less knowledge won't feel welcomed here. Everyone should and have the right to express themselves to further gain or share knowledge, have fun and make life-long friends.

My sin was that I took myself too seriously for a moment and forgot that many may not have the knowledge or info that they are seeking and that I should just present any pertinent info that I possess and move on from there.

no prob. :) 

1htea.jpg

fxreyman, ya gotta learn like I'm learnin'. I don't have it all right in my head yet but I'm tryin' ta find out. That's why I can't never be a preacher again. A preacher's gotta know. Well, I don't know. I gotta ask.  :)

1htea.jpg

Well you have a good sense of humor and we need more of that at this forum.

PS:  As part of your learning process;   you will get places faster if you wear your shoes on your feet! 

HEY! Can I get in on this TOO???

Clover+Bend+Tom+Joad.jpg

Wherever there's a need for a really bad pun or a lame joke...I'll be there, Ma!

You've been requesting this for years (under various screennames, of course). It's on youtube, if anybody really wants to see it.

Yes, it is there and some other places but there ain't nothing like a good cable airing.  :)

HEY! Can I get in on this TOO???

Clover+Bend+Tom+Joad.jpg

Wherever there's a need for a really bad pun or a lame joke...I'll be there, Ma!

somebody's been eatin' spareribs.....how come I ain't got none!!!

dwq6o3.jpg

tumblr_m9gnwsG9Ac1rs1ef6o1_500.jpg

Don't worry, Ma. Anybody that dares call YOU a 'dame' will have to come through me first!"

TopBilled, I see you did not respond to my post last evening. I asked the question below in genuine curiosity and interest, not in the spirit of "baiting" or arguing or trying to give you a hard time.

I'd truly like to get some response from you with regard to what I said. So I'm quoting my own post, from yesterday, about 3 pages back. I knew if I didn't, I'd never get an answer. Maybe not even now. But I'm more interested in this than in discussion of all those American stations that I can't get and don't care about anyway.  Here's what I said:

TopBilled:

Ever since you started this thread, there's been an ongoing argument. It seems to be primarily based on the fact that many of us here give little credence to the significance of this database you rely on so much as a barometre of what movie fans like and are interested in. At least, we give little credence to the point you seem to want to make with it in terms of how many views a given movie gets on a given day.

Let's take a deep breath and back up a bit.

What, exactly, is your point? Let's say - and I don't say it - but let's say, just to move beyond the whole "top 10 films viewed on the database" thing, that you're right, that it is some kind of indicator of what people are looking up and are researching.

Ok: what now? Take it to the next step. Even if this "number of views per movie, 10 ten movies looked up today on the database" business meant what you seem to think it means, ie, that those 10 films are the most popular at that time...so what?

What are you trying to say with that information?

And just to emphasize again: I do not for a moment believe that number of views for a film on a database means anything in particular. But you seem to think it does. So...what does it mean, and to what end are you insisting on its significance? What do we do now?

TopBilled:

Ever since you started this thread, there's been an ongoing argument. It seems to be primarily based on the fact that many of us here give little credence to the significance of this database you rely on so much as a barometre of what movie fans like and are interested in. At least, we give little credence to the point you seem to want to make with it in terms of how many views a given movie gets on a given day.

Let's take a deep breath and back up a bit.

What, exactly, is your point? Let's say - and I don't say it - but let's say, just to move beyond the whole "top 10 films viewed on the database" thing, that you're right, that it is some kind of indicator of what people are looking up and are researching.

Ok: what now? Take it to the next step. Even if this "number of views per movie, 10 ten movies looked up today on the database" business meant what you seem to think it means, ie, that those 10 films are the most popular at that time...so what?

What are you trying to say with that information?

And just to emphasize again: I do not for a moment believe that number of views for a film on a database means anything in particular. But you seem to think it does. So...what does it mean, and to what end are you insisting on its significance? What do we do now?

I think TCM has several weak areas. The daily list helps us look at what is resonating with viewers/visitors to the website.

In the meantime, I believe there has to be a creation of threads developing across a theme to gradually challenge our thinking. The database searches are a great starting point for this on-going discussion.  

I already know that my next News thread is going to be very controversial. It involves a point that has been hinted at by others in various threads that people are afraid to come out and openly discuss.  But I think we have to discuss it. In a way, it is related to the searches-- but it involves who or what is having an effect on the searches and if that is a good thing or not. I have to write the original post in a way that invites respectful conversation-- but it is a subject that cannot be avoided for long.