TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

4,105 posts in this topic

I already know that my next News thread is going to be very controversial. It involves a point that has been hinted at by others in various threads that people are afraid to come out and openly discuss.  But I think we have to discuss it. In a way, it is related to the searches-- but it involves who or what is having an effect on the searches and if that is a good thing or not. I have to write the original post in a way that invites respectful conversation-- but it is a subject that cannot be avoided for long.  

Well then TB, here's ya a little "helpful hint"...

The NEXT one o' these you post, you MIGHT consider asking it as an "open question", and little less so as a definitive "News Item".

(...'cause I HOPE you see by now how doin' that latter thing in THIS baby kinda sorta had you needlessly defendin' yourself, and when I actually think you were onto somethin' here)

Well then TB, here's a little "helpful hint"...

The NEXT one o' these you post, you MIGHT consider asking it as an "open question", and little less so as a definitive "News Item".

(...'cause I HOPE you see by now how doin' that latter thing in THIS baby kinda sorta had you needlessly defendin' yourself, and when I actually think you were onto somethin' here)

Right-- and I have considered that. But I am afraid that if I pose it as a question then it leads to a soft discussion. And I think some of these items are hard topics that require hard discussion. So it almost has to be a sensational claim right out of the gate. I know some people are going to despise the next one, but like I said I feel it has to be addressed.

Right-- and I have considered that. But I am afraid that if I pose it as a question then it leads to a soft discussion. And I think some of these items are hard topics that require hard discussion. So it almost has to be a sensational claim right out of the gate. I know some people are going to despise the next one, but like I said I feel it has to be addressed.

Ooooh-KAY! But don't say I didn't warn ya here, dude.

(...you little "instigator", you!) ;)

LOL

"I know some people are going to despise the next one,..."

poltergeist-movie-image-2.jpg

"NO more, no more..." (whimper)

I think TCM has several weak areas. The daily list helps us look at what is resonating with viewers/visitors to the website.

.In the meantime, I believe there has to be a creation of threads developing across a theme to gradually challenge our thinking. The database searches are a great starting point for this on-going discussion.

I already know that my next News thread is going to be very controversial. It involves a point that has been hinted at by others in various threads that people are afraid to come out and openly discuss.  But I think we have to discuss it. In a way, it is related to the searches-- but it involves who or what is having an effect on the searches and if that is a good thing or not. I have to write the original post in a way that invites respectful conversation-- but it is a subject that cannot be avoided for long.  

Hmm...Your response reminds me of a typical politician, TB. It barely addresses my question, and uses it as a jumping off point to introduce something else on your agenda.

I think you have very different ideas from me about what these boards are all about. I've noticed this before; you take TCM and what it does and what we discuss on the TCM site here very seriously.

I see TCM as nothing more than a great tv station that often shows movies I like, far more than any other television station. I don't really care what their programmers' philosophy (philosophies?)  is, or what percentage they show of black and white vs colour or pre 1960 vs post 1960, or anything like that. I can't get all het up about it.

Likewise, although admittedly I spend too much time here on this site, it's almost entirely for entertainment. It's to share ideas about all things relating to movies (but then there are the fun music threads and other stuff too), to find out what others think and to say what one thinks oneself. (Hey, why do I always feel pretentious saying "one"? It's just as legit as the general "you".)

It's also very much to just have fun, and sometimes even be silly.

What I don't associate with either Turner Classic Movies or this site dedicated to it is work. Being "challenged". Hey, I'm sick of homework, I did enough of that in school and then university. Not to mention helping my kids with theirs'. (Actually, now that I think of it, I hated doing my kids' homework and told them to figure it out themselves. Negligent mother award, yes.)

You say:

"In the meantime, I believe there has to be a creation of threads developing across a theme to gradually challenge our thinking. The database searches are a great starting point for this on-going discussion. "

Why? Girls just wanna have fun. My guess is, most TCM posters just wanna have fun. If I want to "be challenged" and get all serious and do research etc., I'll go back to university and take some more film courses.

• Like 3

Hmm...Your response reminds me of a typical politician, TB. It barely addresses my question, and uses it as a jumping off point to introduce something else on your agenda.

I think you have very different ideas from me about what these boards are all about. I've noticed this before; you take TCM and what it does and what we discuss on the TCM site here very seriously.

If I want to "be challenged" and get all serious and do research etc., I'll go back to university and take some more film courses.

I don't think we need to look at any of this with a persecution complex. There is room for silliness and serious introspection on this website. 

Ah, that explains it. I have a persecution complex.

Kind of like that song "Dear Officer Krupke" in West Side Story, where the guy, sadly, had a ton of complexes and therefore had become a crummy hood. I'd better watch out. Or at least do my homework.

I think TCM has several weak areas. The daily list helps us look at what is resonating with viewers/visitors to the website.

In the meantime, I believe there has to be a creation of threads developing across a theme to gradually challenge our thinking. The database searches are a great starting point for this on-going discussion.  

If you want to demostrate TCM's "weak areas," rather than presenting the "most searched" topics on the TCM search engine, you should provide examples from the TCM schedule where the majority of the films shown are not studio era American movies---since you believe these are the movies that should be TCM's primary focus and that TCM is neglecting these movies.

If you want to demostrate TCM's "weak areas," rather than presenting the "most searched" topics on the TCM search engine, you should provide examples from the TCM schedule where the majority of the films shown are not studio era American movies---since you believe these are the movies that should be TCM's primary focus and that TCM is neglecting these movies.

No I do not. In many, many posts I have written about postcode films I enjoy. In fact, earlier this spring when we made lists for each year, I went all the way up to the year 2013 and many others dropped out in the 70s. I think you are misinterpreting what I have been writing and you are transferring others' comments on to mine. Please stop doing that. Thank you.

Ah, that explains it. I have a persecution complex.

Kind of like that song "Dear Officer Krupke" in West Side Story, where the guy, sadly, had a ton of complexes and therefore had become a crummy hood. I'd better watch out. Or at least do my homework.

I sent a private message to you about this. I think you are going out of your way to annoy/be annoyed with me. I dislike it.

No I do not. In many, many posts I have written about postcode films I enjoy. In fact, earlier this spring when we made lists for each year, I went all the way up to the year 2013 and many others dropped out in the 70s. I think you are misinterpreting what I have been writing and you are transferring others' comments on to mine. Please stop doing that. Thank you.

Please then explain to me what point you ARE trying to make. I apparently must have missed it. Thank you.

Please then explain to me what point you ARE trying to make. I apparently must have missed it. Thank you.

No, I am not going to do that for you. Not when you make assumptions. And I don't owe you that, sorry. :)

No, I am not going to do that for you. Not when you make assumptions. And I don't owe you that, sorry. :)

I guess it's not that important to know what your point is, but I thought I would ask.

Wow, I even said thank you . . . :( 

You must be "mean, mean, mean."   (to quote that character from DAYS OF OUR LIVES from the late 1990s)  :)

You must be "mean, mean, mean."   (to quote that character from DAYS OF OUR LIVES from the late 1990s)  :)

Please stop. Thank you. :)

uh oh more trouble.  :o This saturday it's Ernst Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be on tcm vs. Hammer's The Brides of Dracula on Me TV. Sorry Adolf but Van Helsing gets the nod.  :D

The fun-loving Bite Girls:)

2hey8ux.jpg

I already know that my next News thread is going to be very controversial. It involves a point that has been hinted at by others in various threads that people are afraid to come out and openly discuss.

Hopefully we'll all have sense enough to ignore it like we should've done with this creation of fake nonsense "news" (designed to trojan horse just another b!tch about a Drew-pick last Saturday).

• Like 2

In the meantime, I believe there has to be a creation of threads developing across a theme to gradually challenge our thinking. The database searches are a great starting point for this on-going discussion.  

This sounds like a CEO. You're not CEO of TCM, are you? Or worse, it reminds of a sort of Captain Queeg looking for strawberries. I can hear Bogie's voice in my head when I read this, sitting in the chair with those steel boulders in his hand, round and round.

Elsewhere you say "that some are going to despise" this next so-called news thread. They why, in Heaven's name, even think about it? Why would you antagonize us with something that we are going to despise?

Do we need to fix TCM?

Honestly, TopBilled, this all sounds so officious and childish.

Please don't tell me that this is a terrible post. This is a responsible post. I am not picking on you or making fun of you. In fact, I think it's almost a serious matter, the way you carry on like this.

I will, to my best, follow the advice of a recent poster regarding ignoring further "news" threads. I've had enough of them and I have my own personal sanity to watch over. I'm going to look for threads that actually discuss movies.

==

• Like 5

I have to believe that many people make use of their recording capabilities when they have a personal conflict between "competing" shows.  And ME TV vs TCM is mostly an apples and oranges thing.  I like certain movies and I like certain old TV shows. So I am glad that both stations exist and make my viewing choices accordingly.  I don't want TCM to start showing "Adam 12" episodes or ME TV to start showing a lot of movies.  The Svengoolie movie show is really a tribute to the many old locally broadcast tv horror programs where the local host was as much of the attraction as the movie itself.  Svengoolie has his fan base so even if the film being shown is a dud, people will still watch. I grew up watching Philadelphia's legendary "horror host"  DR SHOCK,  who was exceptionally funny and entertaining.  His shows were only on for a short time in the early 70's and sadly the man passed away while still quite young. I wish Svengoolie (who is reasonably funny)  had a little of DR SHOCK in him.

• Like 1

uh oh more trouble.  :o This saturday it's Ernst Lubitsch's To Be Or Not To Be on tcm vs. Hammer's The Brides of Dracula on Me TV. Sorry Adolf but Van Helsing gets the nod.  :D

I think my favorite one was a few months ago when Svengoolie showed Paramount's DR. CYCLOPS...

This was my most meteoric thread so far this year. It hit 1500 views within 24 hours, and it will probably hit 5000 at least. 

This topic was small potatoes compared to what I still want to discuss...

I have to believe that many people make use of their recording capabilities when they have a personal conflict between "competing" shows.  And ME TV vs TCM is mostly an apples and oranges thing.  I like certain movies and I like certain old TV shows. So I am glad that both stations exist and make my viewing choices accordingly.  I don't want TCM to start showing "Adam 12" episodes or ME TV to start showing a lot of movies.  The Svengoolie movie show is really a tribute to the many old locally broadcast tv horror programs where the local host was as much of the attraction as the movie itself.  Svengoolie has his fan base so even if the film being shown is a dud, people will still watch. I grew up watching Philadelphia's legendary "horror host"  DR SHOCK,  who was exceptionally funny and entertaining.  His shows were only on for a short time in the early 70's and sadly the man passed away while still quite young. I wish Svengoolie (who is reasonably funny)  had a little of DR SHOCK in him.

I was there for Dr. Shock's first show on Channel 17. The announcer recited his supernatural history and then Shock climbs outta his coffin.  :)

2ntzmgx.jpg

This was my most meteoric thread so far this year. It hit 1500 views within 24 hours, and it will probably hit 5000 at least. 

I think the notion that is getting people's blood flowing on this subject is the sense that tcm programmers are not programming for the vast cable-viewing audience but for a small eclectic-minded few.  :)

I think the notion that is getting people's blood flowing on this subject is the sense that tcm programmers are not programming for the vast cable-viewing audience but for a small eclectic-minded few.  :)

Exactly, and I think it struck a nerve. Quite frankly, now that the thread is winding down and I can be a bit more reflective about it-- I was surprised that a discussion about another channel's classic films would spark such reaction. Maybe people are threatened by the idea that TCM has been gradually changing and there isn't anything they can do about it, who knows. But we will continue to see other channels/platforms siphoning away classic film viewers, gaining a toehold in the market with each passing day.

While it would get my blood flowing if TCM's programmers were programming based mainly on the input of a small eclectic-minded few,   so far I have yet to see anyone make a sound case for that assumption

e.g.    look at 3 months of TCM programming,  tag films as those that only the eclectic-minded would program and lay out the percentage of programming devoted to various 'categories'.

So far the data I have seen doesn't support a trend towards eclectic-minded programming.    A few 'bad days' doesn't make a trend.

This was followed by a statement from NipkowDisc: (I still don't know how to post two quotes together)

"I think the notion that is getting people's blood flowing on this subject is the sense that tcm programmers are not programming for the vast cable-viewing audience but for a small eclectic-minded few.  :) "

No, the notion that is getting people's blood flowing is the sense that TopBilled  is the most important and iconoclastic participant on these boards, and that everything he says is exciting, and if it stirs up us stodgey other posters, well that's just because we're stodgey and don't want to be challenged.

I'm not just saying this...I rarely pay attention to how many "views" a thread I start gets. (Now, I do notice if I don't get any responses...)

Edit: by "blood flowing" I took NipkowDisc to mean "irritated". Perhaps he meant excited.