slaytonf

Why are the Message Boards so clunky?

14 posts in this topic

For the past few months, almost every night, there is a point at which the Message Boards, the different forums, and their threads won't open.  They start to open, then bog down.  After repeated attempts, I eventually get a massage from the browser that the page cannot be found.  I encounter this with almost no other site on the internet.  What's going on with TCM that it happens here?

To save money, TCM's servers are run by hamster power from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Poor little guy has to stop for a drink of water now and again and it's probably at these intervals that you notice the problem.

• Like 3

For the past few months, almost every night, there is a point at which the Message Boards, the different forums, and their threads won't open.  They start to open, then bog down.  After repeated attempts, I eventually get a massage from the browser that the page cannot be found.  I encounter this with almost no other site on the internet.  What's going on with TCM that it happens here?

That does NOT happen to me unless I have some trouble with my local ISP.. It happens on TCM but also on other websites too.

I have to call my ISP and get them to straighten things out. In MY OPINION, this is a combination of incompatibility between various software computer program problems. Such as IE 8, IE 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows XP, Firefox, etc, etc.

When XP stopped being supported, I had a lot of trouble with IE 8, and I had to have a technician come out and "adjust" my computer for use with XP and Firefox, and now I almost never have this problem. And my technician had to call my ISP and work something out with them.

Someone's trying to tell you that you should be asleep at that hour. Similar to the recent decision at my condo to lock the social rooms and library between Midnight and 6 AM.

I believe it's probably normal maintenance - that's the best time to do it. Having even one person active on the boards can interfere with some scheduled tasks, so the tasks are given a higher priority. This time period is less intrusive to most of us. Pass the ketchup.

That does NOT happen to me unless I have some trouble with my local ISP.. It happens on TCM but also on other websites too.

I have to call my ISP and get them to straighten things out. In MY OPINION, this is a combination of incompatibility between various software computer program problems. Such as IE 8, IE 10, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows XP, Firefox, etc, etc.

When XP stopped being supported, I had a lot of trouble with IE 8, and I had to have a technician come out and "adjust" my computer for use with XP and Firefox, and now I almost never have this problem. And my technician had to call my ISP and work something out with them.

I don't know if that is what is going on with me.  I have a Mac PowerBook, with Mavericks operating system.  I use Safari for my browser, and my internet is through TimeWarner.

I don't know if that is what is going on with me.  I have a Mac PowerBook, with Mavericks operating system.  I use Safari for my browser, and my internet is through TimeWarner.

Well, since everyone is not having the exact SAME problem with this board at the same time, then it couldn't all be the fault of this site or this board.

I still think it is a big and growing incompatibility problem with too many different operating systems, browsers, ISP software, etc., etc.

There have been times when my internet went off line and my red light was on my DSL modem, and I've called my local ISP guy and he told me that "two three other guys" had called in with the same problem. Not everyone on his system, just me and two or three other guys. So he worked on something with his software, and got it all fixed within a few minutes. So there are different problems that turn up for different users at different times, while the majority of people are not having any problems at that time.

It is only when EVERYONE is having the same problem with the same board at the same time, then THAT is the board's problem.

Someone's trying to tell you that you should be asleep at that hour. Similar to the recent decision at my condo to lock the social rooms and library between Midnight and 6 AM.

You have a library at your condo complex?  How wonderfully civilized!

Is that so unusual?

Well, I've lived only in one condo many years ago, but there wasn't a library, or even any sort of gathering place.  It had a pool and sauna, and that was about all.  But I don't remember libraries at any friends' condo complexes.  I just find it very impressive and learned. B) (I assume this is the "intellectual" emoticon.)

My condo complex has a library room, a movie theater (once a week old classic films are shown) a theater that has performers show up up for entertainment. Robert Klein was here last year, over 125 clubs to join. Opera, ballet, gambling trips,computer rooms, sauna's, exercise rooms, yoga rooms,pool rooms,every type of arts and crafts. etc.

My condo complex has a library room, a movie theater (once a week old classic films are shown) a theater that has performers show up up for entertainment. Robert Klein was here last year, over 125 clubs to join. Opera, ballet, gambling trips,computer rooms, sauna's, exercise rooms, yoga rooms,pool rooms,every type of arts and crafts. etc.

Is this Del Boca Vista? Morty Seinfeld was impeached as condo president.