flashback42

REPEATS YOU CAN'T SURF PAST??

17 posts in this topic

A habit I wasn't really aware of came to my attention recently. When channel surfing, there are certain rerun programs that I can not go past. Sometimes I get stuck on a favorite show and I just can't help stopping to see it to the end. Several examples came to mind recently:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON -- Run across it at any point, and, unless I'm already committed to something else then running, I stay with Jeremiah to the end.

JUNO -- Never pass it up, no matter where I happen upon it.

THE LECTOR CYCLE -- MANHUNTER, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, RED DRAGON, HANNIBAL, even the prequel HANNIBAL RISING I just about always stay with any of these where I find them. The one exception is the NBC series HANNIBAL. I gave it three tries, and it never held my interest for an entire episode.

I've noted that one of my sons can not pass up any DR. WHO program. Are there any viewers with favorites they react to in that way?

A habit I wasn't really aware of came to my attention recently. When channel surfing, there are certain rerun programs that I can not go past. Sometimes I get stuck on a favorite show and I just can't help stopping to see it to the end. Several examples came to mind recently:

JEREMIAH JOHNSON -- Run across it at any point, and, unless I'm already committed to something else then running, I stay with Jeremiah to the end.

JUNO -- Never pass it up, no matter where I happen upon it.

THE LECTOR CYCLE -- MANHUNTER, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, RED DRAGON, HANNIBAL, even the prequel HANNIBAL RISING I just about always stay with any of these where I find them. The one exception is the Fox series HANNIBAL. I gave it three tries, and it never held my interest for an entire episode.

I've noted that one of my sons can not pass up any DR. WHO program. Are there any viewers with favorites they react to in that way?

While I have seen The Big Sleep and The Petrified Forest many, many times,  if I run across these films on T.V.  I find it hard to leave them.   Yea,  I keep saying;  well once this scene is over I'll change the station.   But than the next scene comes on and,,,,,  well before I know it the screen says 'THE END'!

Know the feeling, know the feeling. Just remembered that I also react that way to just about any of Jackie Cooper's juvenile performances.

• Like 1

Another favorite captured me yesterday morning. At about 7:15 am, I happened on White Oleander. Stayed with it until the end, about 830.

My favorite film of all time, "The Lion in Winter" with Katharine Hepburn and Peter O' Toole. I've probably seen it at least 30 times. And every time TCM shows it, I'll watch. :-)

• Like 1

My favorite film of all time, "The Lion in Winter" with Katharine Hepburn and Peter O' Toole. I've probably seen it at least 30 times. And every time TCM shows it, I'll watch. :-)

I'm also a big fan of this movie but my wife isn't.   It reminds her too much of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.    i.e. too much arguing.   Her parents did a lot of that and both movies remind her of that.     But my parents did also.   Instead I like a good verbal slugfest.

Another favorite snagged me on the evening of the 4th.  I surfed into Benny and Joon early, at that delightful no-money poker game: "Soap-on-a-rope, slightly used."  Stayed until the fade-out on instructions about making grilled cheese sandwiches with a flat iron.  A delightful rest among people who deal with serious things, but who know how to use a little useful whimsy.  I never pass it up.

ANATOMY OF A MURDER, BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, THE THING, SUNSET BLVD., STALAG 17, FRANKENSTEIN, BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES, 12 ANGRY MEN -  some of the movies that if they come on and I come across them, I am watching just about no matter what.

The one exception is the NBC series HANNIBAL. I gave it three tries, and it never held my interest for an entire episode.

I understand exactly. I watch it online, rather than on tv. That way I don't have to watch it if I'm not in the mood - but when I do, I watch it in proper sequence. The first couple of episodes were really hard to take because the actor playing Hannibal had none of the "charm" of Anthony Hopkins - to put it mildly. I kept thinking to myself, "who in the world could have a creepy like this for a psychiatrist".

But I persisted at a pace suitable to my general distaste. One thing I had to credit was the imaginative, though sometimes gross, visuals. After SIX episodes of season one I still wasn't really liking this show. Then, in episode 7, it picked up and I began to follow with more enthusiasm to the end of season 1.

When season 2 began - believe it or not I decided to watch season 1 over again just to make sure I remembered and understood everything that had happened before moving into the new set of episodes. I also imagined that, because I had become acclimated to the show (and to the actor playing Lecter) that I would enjoy - and maybe get more from - those first 6 episodes.

But I didn't! They were not very interesting or enlightening the second time through either. But again, from episode 7 on, it got better. And continued to get better. Now I'm watching season 2 and it's gotten better still - I actually look forward to each one now.

Apparently the producers went into the series with a seven year plan. The plan was to dramatize the entire saga of the characters created by Thomas Harris - from before the time of 'Red Dragon' through to the conclusion.

I just wanted to relate this to you - my experience of the series - to encourage you to maybe give it another shot. Yes, those first 6 episodes are tedious, but for someone who is a fan of the Lecter films as you are, I'm afraid you may be cheating yourself of some pretty engrossing stuff that comes later.

My list would be so very long that it would not be convenient to compile as individual titles.

Nearly every comedy mystery of the 1930s.

Nearly every comedy caper of the 1930s and 1940s.

Nearly every hard-sf movie of the 1940s and 1950s.

Nearly every Pixar movie.

Dr. Who takes a high precedence over most other programming but it is on BBC America and so one must take care and be ready to change the moment that Dr. Who is over or there might be exposure to the mentally-challenged foul-mouthed git which BBC America endlessly replays.

So many channels seeming repeat films so often. The dreary AMC has aired The Core 2 days in a row.

Repeats are a problem with the MOVIES channel as well.    I like their Saturday night noir films and Sunday morning Mystery series but about half the movies are repeats from week to week.      So while I was glad to see,  for example, I Wake Up Screeming and Vicki I have now seen them twice in just over 2 weeks.      

So while TCM does show repeats it isn't even close to what MOVIES does.   But yea,  I also wish TCM would get access to more Paramount,  Fox and Columbia movies.

Addressing darkblue, re the Hannibal series:

I saw enough of the series to catch on that it was timed into the period when the Doctor was being investigated by the FBI agent, with the agent taking a long, long time to catch on to what was up.  I lost interest on that point.  It reminded me of my experience with the series Smallville.  That series harkened back to comic books that I bought, read, and wore out back in the 1950s, having no idea that if I bagged them in plastic and preserved them, they would be worth a fortune now.  I stayed with the series for about four of it's 8? 9? years, but finally tapered off.  Clark/Superboy went from high school to college to newspaper work, with subplots devoted to Lex, Lana, Lois, Jimmy, and then to other super heros, etc. until it just wore out my interest.  I could see the same thing happening with the Lector saga. 

Recent experiences with surfing:  Juno was aired yesterday, but I saw it in the listings, and managed to avoid it.  Then I landed on Practical Magic, just as the abusive boyfriend was getting his, and I couldn't get away from it.  That's another of my favorites, and I stayed with it til the end.

"The Birdcage" with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane.  I always seem to catch it at the beginning.  Then, I'll say oh I'll just watch it until Robin Williams is teaching Nathan Lane how to walk and eat like a man.  Then I'll say oh I'll just keep watching until the 'sweet n' sour peasant soup' part.  Then, before I know it, Gene Hackman's in drag and they're trying to sneak out of the club and I've watched the whole movie.  It happens every time. 

My favorite lines:

NATHAN LANE (trying to walk like John Wayne, tips his imaginary hat to a lady) Howdy ma'am!

ROBIN WILLIAMS (to Hank Azaria): What the hell is 'sweet n' sour peasant soup?'

HANK AZARIA: I made it up! I made it up!

ROBIN WILLIAMS (to Hank Azaria): You look like Lucy's stunt double

HANK AZARIA: I'm a combination of Lucy and Ricky.

---

Another movie I always seem to catch on TV is "Smokey and the Bandit."  I always seem to catch it right when Sally Field is taking her wedding dress off in Burt Reynolds' car.  These aren't my pants!

Jackie Gleason in this movie is hilarious.  He's really what makes it.

JUNIOR: Daddy! The top came off!

BUFORD: No sh*t!

JUNIOR: My hat blew off, daddy.

BUFORD: I hope your godd*mn head was in it!

I'm just going to pretend that the two sequels didn't happen. 

---

I always watch these two movies and I own them.  There's no reason that I should have to watch that movie right then and there especially if I have to endure commercials.  Yet, there I sit on the couch. Watching.

Back when I was in the habit of changing channels while watching tv, I used to stop on Goodfellas and Forrest Gump. Always. I don't do this so much anymore because I am rarely watching anything besides TCM and BBCAmerica. and neither of these channels show these movies. There are hundreds of movies that TCM shows that I stop and watch so I wouldn't even know which one(s) to name.

Yep. I don't think I've ever not stopped if I've come across a broadcast of 'Goodfellas' while surfing.

Also, 'Unforgiven' - have to continue watching if I stumble across it.

Also, 'Boogie Nights'.

There are surely others, but they elude my memory at the moment.

Had a "sort of"  happen to me early this AM.  Landed on an airing of Where the Heart Is just after the point where little America was born.  I've been aware of Natalie Portman since her juvenile turn in The Professional (1994), but I sort of consider this film her signature performance.  It's certainly my favorite of her films.  I stayed with it this morning, and contentedly went to sleep on it.