Sign in to follow this  
joefilmone

"Brokeback Mountain" Starring....

14 posts in this topic

What if the film had been made in another era what classic male stars might have played the leads?

LOL - Hep :) but   I was thinking more in the line of Paul Newman and Anthony Perkins...

( but the idea of Regan and Rooney sharing a tent is amusing...)

LOL - Hep :) but   I was thinking more in the line of Paul Newman and Anthony Perkins...

( but the idea of Regan and Rooney sharing a tent is amusing...)

I could see your idea too- especially because of who they were, their comfort level as actors, and their comfort level with the human condition. 

Reagan and Rooney- well, let's just say- homophobes are the most closeted of us all. 

I respect Rooney as an actor and as a legend. Reagan, well, that's a different story. On the subject of him, he only cared about AIDS after Rock Hudson was diagnosed with it. By then, countless were dying and being blamed for it to add to the stigma of being GLBT in America. 

What if the film had been made in another era what classic male stars might have played the leads?

Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen (notice they're not looking at Clara Bow)!

wings-classic-dvd-014.jpg

• Like 1

Buddy Rogers and Richard Arlen (notice they're not looking at Clara Bow)!

wings-classic-dvd-014.jpg

There's an idea- the Gays of Silent Cinema!: A Look at Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual, and Cisgendered Images in Silent Films. 

Swithin, I've always thought it was a gay love story.

Tell me this isn't a gay love story:

• Like 1

I was thinking more in the line of Paul Newman and Anthony Perkins...

How about Tab Hunter and Anthony Perkins, since they were a real life couple for a time? There's a great picture, taken by Tab, of Tony lying under the covers smiling up at him. All you would have needed was the tent. Seriously, though, it's fun to speculate about the past but I suppose we just have to be grateful it was even made at all and made by a director with a very light touch. As time goes on, we're not seeing its like again and you know how Hollywood loves to do themes to death. Guess this is one of the few themes nobody's all that eager to tackle again in a big way. "Behind The Candelabra" comes to mind, but it was only released theatrically abroad and was seen on cable TV here because distributors wouldn't touch it.

I've often thought of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot as a gay love story. I think it was given short shrift in The Celluloid Closet, a documentary which I am not particularly fond of.

Thunderbolt_and_Lightfoot_movie_poster.j

thunderbolt-and-lightfoot-1974-jeff-brid