Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Silent Sundays - July, 2014

9 posts in this topic

airing Sun., 7-13

12:00 AM
88 min
silent

San Francisco boys risk their lives to scout gold in the Klondike.

DirClarence Brown CastDolores Del Rio , Ralph Forbes , Karl Dane .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: Clarence Brown. Dolores Del Rio, Ralph Forbes, Karl Dane, Harry Carey, Tully Marshall, George Cooper, Russell Simpson, Emily Fitzroy.

"Celebrated silent epic charting the effects of gold fever on various characters who leave home and embark on a grueling trek to Alaska during the Klondike gold rush of 1898. You can practically feel the bitter wind and freezing snow in this entertaining "Northern Western,'' with a vivid you-are-there quality and several spectacular scenes."

trail_of_98_poster_B.jpg

No fan of Silents. But if i see a few more like "The Trail of 98" I will be!It had everything. Stunning visuals. No words were needed.The amazing Cooper River Rapids scenes. No wonder they were so realistic. Four stuntmen were killed filming them...the climb up dangerous and snowyChikoot Pass  where hundreds of the Gold Fever prospectors looked like tiny ants crawling...the avalanche...the fight between Forbes abd Carey. Now That was a brawl!This almost forgotten last of the MGM Silents will certainly be remembered by TCMers after viewing. And one more thing..Director Clarence Brown sure knew his stuff!

airs late Sun., 7-27

12:15 AM
134 min
silent

A young innocent's sexuality destroys all who come near her.

DirG. W. Pabst CastLouise Brooks , Fritz Kortner , Daisy D'Ora .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: G. W. Pabst. Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner, Franz (Francis) Lederer, Carl Goetz.

"Hypnotic silent film stars legendary Brooks as flower girl who becomes protegee--then wife--of editor, with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Striking sexuality and drama, with Brooks an unforgettable Lulu. Scripters Pabst and Laszlo Wajda adapted two plays by Franz Wedekind."

Pandora%27s_Box_%281929_movie_poster%29.

• Like 1

airs late Sun., 7-27

12:15 AM
134 min
silent

A young innocent's sexuality destroys all who come near her.

DirG. W. Pabst CastLouise Brooks , Fritz Kortner , Daisy D'Ora .

LEONARD MALTIN REVIEW:

D: G. W. Pabst. Louise Brooks, Fritz Kortner, Franz (Francis) Lederer, Carl Goetz.

"Hypnotic silent film stars legendary Brooks as flower girl who becomes protegee--then wife--of editor, with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Striking sexuality and drama, with Brooks an unforgettable Lulu. Scripters Pabst and Laszlo Wajda adapted two plays by Franz Wedekind."

Pandora%27s_Box_%281929_movie_poster%29.

Thanks for the advance notice.  Watching Louise Brooks in this is always a treat.

• Like 1

I had never seen Pandora's Box until last night, and even then, it was on so late that I couldn't stay up to watch all of it.  What I did see (first 45 minutes), I liked very much.  Too bad Louise Brooks never made a bigger splash in Hollywood, but after reading her IMDB bio, I guess it just wasn't in the cards.  Has anyone seen any of her talkies?  I haven't, so I was just wondering if it was her voice that was as much a detriment to her career as it was her attitude toward the motion picture industry in general.