SansFin

VOTING THREAD FOR TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #26

70 posts in this topic

The great state of Overeasy casts its one vote for...

Lydecker!

I liked several of the schedules, but I felt this one hewed the closest to what I might

actually see on TCM on any given week. It was imaginative, fun and not too esoteric...

Thanks for the vote 'o confidence, Overeasy.  It is much appreciated.

Lydecker

We have only three votes cast so far with little more than two days remaining!

Please Vote! if you have not done so. 

You may vote within this thread or by sending me a Private Message.

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

I do not understand why there is so little activity in voting for this Challenge. There are many wonderful schedules which deserve recognition!

I hope some person can explain to my why there is of a sudden such a lack of interest in the voting. I have looked at previous Challenges and each has more votes than entries. 

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

I do not understand why there is so little activity in voting for this Challenge. There are many wonderful schedules which deserve recognition!

Maybe it's the holiday. I voted from London, but not everyone is online whilst they're away. Hopefully a few more will come in soon. 

I did wonder if the holiday did affect the number of votes. It does not seem to me that it should as the voting opened several days before the holiday and it is now well past. 

I am considering extending the deadline. That would allow others to vote who have been tied to family matters because of the holidays. I fear to do it because it might change the results significantly.

I have consulted the highest authority available to me and I have decided based upon that opinion to allow the current closing date and time to stand. 

The holidays may have disrupted routines but the Voting Thread was open for several days prior to the holiday and several days after. The normal voting period is a week and I had made it eight days when I established this thread. 

I hope that all can make accommodations to get their keisters in gear and vote!

Voting will close at Noon (PT), Wednesday, June 9, 2014. 

The announcement of the winner will be made as soon as the votes have been counted and the bribes have been deposited.

There are currently five votes on record.

Voting may be done either in this thread or by sending me a Private Message so that your vote is anonymous. 

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

I have learned that some are having difficulty viewing or replying to this thread. I know that the forum software has problems with thread pages which contain several very large posts or contain many formatting commands. 

I urge any and all who have not commented nor voted because of reply problems with this thread to send me a Private Message containing your vote and any comments which you wish to make. The vote will be anonymous but I will post any comments regarding the schedules which you can not post directly.

Well, I finally voted.  Tough decision because of so many great schedules.  Good luck to everybody.

Lydecker

This is the only challenge I can recall where there have been "secret" votes. I wonder why now?

This is the only challenge I can recall where there have been "secret" votes. I wonder why now?

Pretty sure you could always do that.  I was having trouble posting to this thread earlier today (kept getting a "slow connection" warning and it would kick me off) so I just sent a PM to sansfin so that I got the vote in on time.  

Lydecker

Pretty sure you could always do that.  I was having trouble posting to this thread earlier today (kept getting a "slow connection" warning and it would kick me off) so I just sent a PM to sansfin so that I got the vote in on time.  

Lydecker

Oh yes -- you could always do that though it's only for this challenge that more than one person seems reluctant to share how they voted.  When I ran the challenge, no one did it.  Just curious as to why this time is different. The secrecy I mean, not the PM.

In every challenge the voting is tough.  Same case here.  So many great ideas, films and themes.

Highlights:

Classic Afficionado:  I like Joan Fontaine as SOTM, summer solstice salute, new living arrangements, and Showboat (1936) as your Essential.  I happen to like both the 50s version and the '36 version but I think of them as two separate films.  Neither is completely the same as the original stage production but the Dunne version is closer.

Skimpole:  Chishu Ryu as your SOTM is great, albeit a bit obscure for most american audiences.  Still, a great star who deserves attention.  Using the Ozu films and the contemporary chinese-made films are a wonderful programming touch.  Also scheduling films about 20th century China is great.  I really liked entering your new worlds of weirdness.  Angel Heart !?  I remember that film.  It fits into a weird world quite well.

Speedracer3:  I've always wanted to do a bookie theme and you have-fun.  I liked much about your schedule: exploring the new world (as opposed to Skimpole's weird world), the Bergman double feature, Rocky Horror as Underground, and Lucy Ricardo as guest programmer.  Great job!

Obrienmundy:  Loved your SOTM: Catherine Deneuve.  Polish cinema, Alexander Golitzen, Miklos Rozsa and Madame Defarge as guest programmer are all wonderful.  In your trading places theme, you have a film favorite of mine: Thirty-Day Princess.  The Light That Failed.  I'm always requesting this one from the programmers.  Some day I hope it'll show up on TCM.  I only wish that you had provide notes.  Much of your schedule was self-explanatory but notes really do add to the appreciation of the creative process of building any schedule.

Lydecker:  Love your SOTM, Roland Young.  You had some wonderful themes:  banking, John Seitz as Cinematographer, Addison DeWitt as GP, department stores (another theme that has been on my radar to explore in the future), Politics as your Friday night spotlight.  Lloyd Nolan is vastly unknown and underrated.  Thanks for adding some of his films.  Terrific effort, Lydecker!

Lonesome Polecat:  What can I say?  A great schedule, as always.  Anne Baxter as SOTM, Iranian Cinema, Robots, "Look Mama-I'm Pretty", "Clever Accounting", franchise beginnings, and "Engagements That Don't Work Out".  I know that your schedule is not up for a vote this time but it is extremely well done.

My vote goes to Lydecker.

Oh yes -- you could always do that though it's only for this challenge that more than one person seems reluctant to share how they voted.  When I ran the challenge, no one did it.  Just curious as to why this time is different. The secrecy I mean, not the PM.

I think some folks have had problems posting to this thread.  I didn't earlier in the week but I did have some problems a couple of hours ago (perhaps owing to attempting to post from a work computer?) but I was able to PM sansfin. I wanted to make sure my vote was recorded before voting closed.  But, for the record, I voted for speedracer5.  I particularly loved 4 of the schedules  --  2 were not available for voting and then I was down to 2. It was an absolute photo finish between my final 2 but speedracer5's Lucy Ricardo as GP finally tipped the scale for me.  Could have gone any of 4 ways if my 4 favorites had all remained in contention.  Too tough!

Lydecker

I hereby and forthwith declare that the Voting is closed!

I thank all who voted.

The results:

lycecker - 5

speedracer5 - 3

obrienmundy - 2

Classic Aficianado - 1

I give great congratulations to: lydecker! It is your honor now to host the next Challenge!

I thank greatly all who entered wonderful schedules and all who showed encouragement by voting.

I am very sorry that this post is a quarter-hour late. It has been a devilish day and I am playing catch-up.

• Like 1

I have searched through old Challenge threads and have found that voting by Private Message has a long history.

I am perhaps the first Challenge-Setter who has stressed that such votes are anonymous. This is perhaps only because I am a great advocate for secret ballots in all things and I see it to be of value here because it removes the: "popularity contest" aspect and concentrates attention on quality of the schedules.

• Like 2

I wish to thank all who created wonderful schedules for us! 

I thank all also who voted. I know that to chose one only was quite difficult.

I was very happy that so many entrants used the optional themes. It did seem to some extent that the optional themes were more popular and sparked more creativity than the required theme.

I await with anticipation Lydecker's: TCM Programming Challenge #27: Things that go Bump and Grind in the Night.

Wow. I am truly honored. I don't know what to say (and Lydecker is never without something to say) except to say thanks!

Thanks to everyone who produced such incredible schedules, thanks to sanfins for creating a fun Challenge and hosting it so well and thanks to the folks who were kind enough to vote for my schedule. Actually, when you come right down to it, the real credit goes to Roland Young, Lloyd Nolan and Addison DeWitt, fan favorites all.  Not to mention, Bela Lugosi and that Brooklyn Gorilla.

I would hope that everyone gives me some guidance about when they would like Challenge #27 to begin. Sooner, later or somewhere in between?  

Again, many thanks to you all.  

Lydecker

I have searched through old Challenge threads and have found that voting by Private Message has a long history.

I am perhaps the first Challenge-Setter who has stressed that such votes are anonymous. This is perhaps only because I am a great advocate for secret ballots in all things and I see it to be of value here because it removes the: "popularity contest" aspect and concentrates attention on quality of the schedules.

I totally understand. I had another thought (which nobody will like). When people start to post their schedules, everyone chimes in about how wonderful the schedules are (and they generally are good). It might be interesting if we could drop a bit of the hagiography and actually give some critical commentary about the schedules -- what's wonderful, what's good, and -- horrors! -- what we don't like!  

It might be interesting if we could drop a bit of the hagiography and actually give some critical commentary about the schedules -- what's wonderful, what's good, and -- horrors! -- what we don't like!  

I remember well that one poster did that in one Challenge. That poster had a history of being trollish and that username disappeared soon thereafter. Their post was such that it made them look as if they were the south end of a north-bound horse.

I do not speak of the things which are not to my taste because I feel that the only schedule which will appeal to my tastes fully is my own schedule. Even that is not true at all times because I find I must at times use movies which are not to my taste but they have the feature that they are the only movie with the proper run time which fits the theme. Finding this to be true was a major step towards my empathizing with real-world TCM Programmers.

I have found also often that a particular movie in an entrant's schedule might not be to my taste but it is the perfect movie for the theme. It seems foolish to say: "I hate that movie. It is wonderful that you choose it."

I do truly find all the schedules to be wonderful. They carry the heart-and-soul of TCM. 

I'll say this from the outset; I don't think I have the patience to actually sit down and create one of these schedules, so I certainly appreciate the time and effort of everyone who does. It has to be a labor of love.

That said, the idea that anyone could use this forum as an opportunity to "critique" someone's schedule seems just wrong to me. If you don't like it, fine, don't vote for it. This shouldn't be like a thesis you have to "defend," it should be fun and entertaining. Just my 2 cents.

I remember well that one poster did that in one Challenge. That poster had a history of being trollish and that username disappeared soon thereafter. Their post was such that it made them look as if they were the south end of a north-bound horse.

I don't mean in a disrespectful manner. That's sometimes a problem here -- thinking that any kind of disagreement has to be nasty. There can be an elegance to reasoned argument. Sometimes I find unadulterated adulation to be as meaningless as constant complaining. Those who indulge in the former also often look like the equine image you conjure!