SansFin

VOTING THREAD FOR TCM PROGRAMMING CHALLENGE #26

70 posts in this topic

Wow. I am truly honored. I don't know what to say (and Lydecker is never without something to say) except to say thanks!

Thanks to everyone who produced such incredible schedules, thanks to sanfins for creating a fun Challenge and hosting it so well and thanks to the folks who were kind enough to vote for my schedule. Actually, when you come right down to it, the real credit goes to Roland Young, Lloyd Nolan and Addison DeWitt, fan favorites all.  Not to mention, Bela Lugosi and that Brooklyn Gorilla.

I would hope that everyone gives me some guidance about when they would like Challenge #27 to begin. Sooner, later or somewhere in between?  

Again, many thanks to you all.  

Lydecker

CONGRATS! to Lydecker :D

I hereby and forthwith declare that the Voting is closed!

I thank all who voted.

The results:

lycecker - 5

speedracer5 - 3

obrienmundy - 2

Classic Aficianado - 1

I give great congratulations to: lydecker! It is your honor now to host the next Challenge!

I thank greatly all who entered wonderful schedules and all who showed encouragement by voting.

I am very sorry that this post is a quarter-hour late. It has been a devilish day and I am playing catch-up.

Congrats lydecker! Thanks to everyone who voted for me !! It is encouraging that people enjoy my schedules. I look forward to the next challenge!

• Like 1

Let's see if it will actually post this reply (doubtful)

Mazeltov, Lydecker! A great schedule and a well deserved win! I expect to see TCM stealing from it left and right in the future.

As for the next challenge, I always say sooner is better than later, so start as soon as you can. This one started very soon and look at all the great schedules we got! My vote goes to September or October, whichever works for you (since August is Vacation/My Kids' Various Camps Month).

• Like 1

September is what I am thinking for Challenge #27, too.  Let our brains rest during the

final days of summer and then get busy in the fall.  Sometime after Labor Day.  Stay tuned!

Lydecker

I don't mean in a disrespectful manner. That's sometimes a problem here -- thinking that any kind of disagreement has to be nasty. There can be an elegance to reasoned argument. Sometimes I find unadulterated adulation to be as meaningless as constant complaining. Those who indulge in the former also often look like the equine image you conjure!

I don't see the comments made by folks about others' schedules as "unadulterated adulation" at all.  Au contraire. There is enough variety in each schedule presented that, even if a given schedule contains blocks of programming which may not be your "cup of tea" (we all have our subjective preferences) there is also, no doubt, lots to love in the same schedule.  We're not enrolled in grad school here, we are just folks who love movies and the people who take the time to put together a TCM schedule (lots of time and effort albeit a labor of love) are not submitting their schedules to be "graded." Vote for the one you like best but let's keep the Challenges friendly and fun.

Lydecker

• Like 1

I don't see the comments made by folks about others' schedules as "unadulterated adulation" at all.  Au contraire. There is enough variety in each schedule presented that, even if a given schedule contains blocks of programming which may not be your "cup of tea" (we all have our subjective preferences) there is also, no doubt, lots to love in the same schedule.  We're not enrolled in grad school here, we are just folks who love movies and the people who take the time to put together a TCM schedule (lots of time and effort albeit a labor of love) are not submitting their schedules to be "graded." Vote for the one you like best but let's keep the Challenges friendly and fun.

Lydecker

Yes -- I agree, and congratulations! I just wish, in the larger sense, not necessarily related to the Challenge, that we can have vigorous debates here and enjoy the pleasures of a good argument, which should be "friendly and fun." I've avoided certain threads going at the moment because there seems to be an inability to have a robust and enjoyable discussion without getting nasty.  If conversations here all have to be in the nature of "I agree with you, it's all wonderful," that would be dreary indeed, even (and perhaps especially) for those who truly love film.

Yes -- I agree, and congratulations! I just wish, in the larger sense, not necessarily related to the Challenge, that we can have vigorous debates here and enjoy the pleasures of a good argument, which should be "friendly and fun." I've avoided certain threads going at the moment because there seems to be an inability to have a robust and enjoyable discussion without getting nasty.  If conversations here all have to be in the nature of "I agree with you, it's all wonderful," that would be dreary indeed, even (and perhaps especially) for those who truly love film.

I, too enjoy making a good argument and agree that "dissent can be fun" on lots of the threads. I don't think lengthy negative critiques are appropriate for the Challenge schedules (for a lot of different reasons) but I am all for pushing a point of view elsewhere on the message boards.  Hmm . . .I was just considering posting something about how Janet Leigh does not exactly rock my world as October SOTM.  Talk about starting some dissent!  All those "Psycho" fans will be on me in a hot second.

Lydecker

I agree that September is proper time for the next Challenge.

I believe that critiques of schedules would be very delicate balancing act. I believe that very few people understand the 'rules' of proper critique and so may cause offense with no intention to do so. 

I have found the instance of a critique of the schedules which I remembered. It is at:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/30902-b16th-programming-challenge-voting-ballotb/page-3

It is message #55 by: ClassicViewer. It is approx. seventy percent down the page. I feel that this is a glorious example of how not to critique. 

I did note a comment in that thread which I must wonder if it needs to be addressed. The comment was that the schedules were locked when posted because the forum software did not allow editing after a very short period of time. 

This new software does allow editing for considerable period. 

Should there be a rule in future Challenges that the schedule should not be edited severely after initial posting? 

Congratulations to Lydecker on the deserving win!

I loved all of the other schedules and I think that SansFin is to be congratulated on a great job of creating and moderating this challenge.  Kudos to all who participated.

• Like 1

I thank you for your kind words. It was very wonderful that so many entrants embraced the optional themes and executed them with such enthusiasm and creativity.

I agree that September is proper time for the next Challenge.

I believe that critiques of schedules would be very delicate balancing act. I believe that very few people understand the 'rules' of proper critique and so may cause offense with no intention to do so. 

I have found the instance of a critique of the schedules which I remembered. It is at:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/30902-b16th-programming-challenge-voting-ballotb/page-3

It is message #55 by: ClassicViewer. It is approx. seventy percent down the page. I feel that this is a glorious example of how not to critique. 

I did note a comment in that thread which I must wonder if it needs to be addressed. The comment was that the schedules were locked when posted because the forum software did not allow editing after a very short period of time. 

This new software does allow editing for considerable period. 

Should there be a rule in future Challenges that the schedule should not be edited severely after initial posting? 

I agree that limited editing should be allowed.  Typos and omissions are allowable edits but changing a schedule in any kind of significant way should not be allowed.  As for negative critiques of the schedules, I think that is wrong, for so many reasons.  Let's not go there.

On to Challenge #27.  September, it is.

Lydecker

September is what I am thinking for Challenge #27, too.  Let our brains rest during the

final days of summer and then get busy in the fall.  Sometime after Labor Day.  Stay tuned!

Lydecker

Excellent idea.  I'm on vacation the first week of September (Goin' to the beach! for my 3rd wedding anniversary) so hopefully if the challenge starts on Sep 1, I won't be at a disadvantage by not being able to even start brainstorming it until at least the 7th.  NFL is back on Sep 4, so Sep 7 is the first Sunday of all day football! Working on the schedule during football sounds like a great idea.  I think I'll start brainstorming my SOTM, Import, and other standard TCM schedule features in the meantime until I find out about the rules of challenge #27. 

I agree that limited editing should be allowed.  Typos and omissions are allowable edits but changing a schedule in any kind of significant way should not be allowed.  As for negative critiques of the schedules, I think that is wrong, for so many reasons.  Let's not go there.

On to Challenge #27.  September, it is.

Lydecker

I agree with the limited editing.  I have edited my schedule and programming notes slightly when I saw a typo, spelling mistake or didn't like how I worded something.  I have a BS in Communication Studies and a Minor in Professional Writing so I get a little OCD when I re-read my posts.  Oh no, I used the word 'like' too many times.  I need to rewrite this and use different wording! I agree that you shouldn't be allowed to actually change the schedule.  I wrote my first schedule out in Notepad and my second in Word (which sounds like Word is incompatible with the boards) and then copied and pasted.  I didn't post until I was satisfied 100%  You should have seen the first draft of my Challenge #26 schedule-- I went a little crazy with the film noir and had Jessica Rabbit as the GP introducing even more film noir! It definitely needed some more variety.

Hooray for September! Glad it'll start soon.

As for editing, the only fair type of edit I can think of that I personally have done (other than the obvious typo fixing) is once I had listed something as a premiere, then someone pointed out it had actually been shown on TCM (wish there was a better way to find all that out), so I was able to schedule another premiere that I had to edit out before. That's about it.

Congrats on the anniversary, Lydecker! Please tell me your spouse's name is something fitting your screenname. That would crack me up.

Congrats on the anniversary, Lydecker! Please tell me your spouse's name is something fitting your screenname. That would crack me up.

I'm the one who mentioned the anniversary; but it was in a reply to Lydecker, so I can see how our names were crossed. 

My spouse's name is legally James; however, we met in the 10th grade (actually *I* was in the 10th grade, he was in 9th.  We're 3 months apart in age; but his birthday was after the cut-off for kindergarten in Oregon-- so he's a class behind me) and he introduced himself as "Jimmy."  As a result, I can't call him anything else but Jimmy because that's what I know him as.  At his workplace, I think he tries to be more professional with the "James." Whatever "James," you're still Jimmy to me.  I gave him a nickname and call him that instead-- I call him "Jammers." I actually managed to get his co-workers at his old job to call him Jammers.  It was hilarious.

Hooray for September! Glad it'll start soon.

As for editing, the only fair type of edit I can think of that I personally have done (other than the obvious typo fixing) is once I had listed something as a premiere, then someone pointed out it had actually been shown on TCM (wish there was a better way to find all that out), so I was able to schedule another premiere that I had to edit out before. That's about it.

Actually, while it was speedracer5's mention of an anniversary I also have an anniversary coming up . . . and it's in September, too. Unfortunately, my spouse's name is deadly dull.  (Clearly unimaginative parents at work here.) Nothing so unique as Waldo Lydecker. 

Lydecker

Unfortunately, my spouse's name is deadly dull.

If I met a person whose name was: 'Deadly' then I would find it a comfort that their second name is: 'Dull.'

• Like 1

If I met a person whose name was: 'Deadly' then I would find it a comfort that their second name is: 'Dull.'

Absolutely.  Way better than "Deadly Psychopath."

Or for that matter somebody by the name of Norman Bates....

Wasn't "Deadly Psychopath" Norman Bates' "pen name???" 

L

I love in the episode: "A Study in Pink" (2010) of the BBC series: Sherlock that Sherlock Holmes takes umbrage at being called a psychopath and states: "I'm not a psychopath, Anderson. I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!"

I am reminded also of the young man who finally met Miss Right. It was not until they were married that he learned that her first name is: Always.