Swithin

Opera!

92 posts in this topic

Raina Kabaivanska and Nazzareno Antinori winding up the First Act Duet. There are no subtitles but they are not needed as the words are at this point non-specific and general. The important thing is the the courtship is over and they are ready to go into the little house now. The choreography is wonderful here. I like the formality of traversing the stage in this manner and the final whirl of Cio-Cio san and rapprochement. The splendid end note is one of the moving ever.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, jakeem said:

People are still talking about how she performed "Nessun Dorma" -- the aria from Puccini's opera "Turandot" -- on short notice at the 40th annual Grammy Awards held on February 25, 1998. She was a last-minute replacement for the great Luciano Pavarotti, who bowed out because of illness.

Ken Ehrlich, who was the longtime executive producer of the Grammy telecasts on CBS, later credited her with saving the show.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/aretha-franklin-ken-ehrlich-grammy-producer-1202907543/

Image result for aretha franklin nessun dorma grammys

On 8/16/2018 at 7:35 PM, Arsan404 said:

Singing Nessun Dorma at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia in 2015.

RIP one of the all-time greats.

Aside from all of her achievements in popular music and in the field of civil rights, Aretha Franklin also helped bring Opera to the mainstream fold.

When Pavarotti got sick and Aretha stepped in for him at the Grammy Awards, she sang his signature Aria from Puccini's Turandot  "Nessun Dorma".

The Great opera diva Grace Bumbry was a close personal friend of  Aretha Franklin's. Grace appeared on the PBS Nightly News Hour to eulogize her friend. The opera singer spoke about what a great singer Aretha was and how well she handled Opera in addition to popular music.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Type it bigger and someone might believe you.

Think so? I type it larger next time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, laffite said:

Think so? I type it larger next time.

Maybe use the "music note" emojis before and after your very large text, and I can imagine that you are singing it very loudly. 

The Met is opening its season on September 24 with a new production of Samson et Dalila. But will they be able to top this:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Maybe use the "music note" emojis before and after your very large text, and I can imagine that you are singing it very loudly. 

Who me? I can't sing anything! All I can do is sound the clarion call. No, I leave the singing to the likes of a Peter Hoffman, Placido Domingo, Eva Marton, and Mae West.

34 minutes ago, Swithin said:

The Met is opening its season on September 24 with a new production of Samson et Dalila. But will they be able to top this:

The ubiquitous Miss Mae West-- she even charmed the likes of Mister Ed, who wasn't a bad singer himself. Of course, of course

57 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

It must have taken him a long time to memorize that one.

AFTERTHOUGHT: But the scene had a something to it. I think the composer gets away with it.

4 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Hey, Nip, great seeing you getting into opera.

I quite like this re-imagining of Wagner (I love their rendition of Bach's Art of the Fugue even more though).