Sign in to follow this  
LornaHansonForbes

Nancy Drew: Public Enemy #1

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone else been watching Nancy Drew and the Case of the Hidden Staircase (1939)?

I enjoy how they've shown a lot of cheesy serials on Saturday mornings, and I really have been amused by the Nancy Drew series starring one-time Oscar nominee Bonita Granville as the titular heroine.

However, today's entry, the above-mentioned title has our plucky gal breaking I don't know how many laws, (and it's not even over yet)

among her crimes:

Providing false evidence (a false suicide note she has her boyfriend write to cover up a murder), witholding evidence, providing a false statement to the police, impeding a murder investigation, multiple counts of breaking an entering, theft, damage to private property, trespassing, discharging a gun on public land, and- most notably- SPIKING THE DRINKS OF TWO HARMLESS OLD LADIES WITH SLEEPING TABLETS in order to ransack their house for "clues."

O to the M to the G, Nancy- children's hospital or no, you are going down.

Be sure to catch the next installment of Warner Bros. popular Nancy Drew series: Nancy Drew Does a Dime in Attica starring Bonita Granville, Glenda Farrell and Hope Emerson as "The Warden."

• Like 3

ps- is he too young for me to mention that Frankie Thomas who plays Nancy's stooge, er, sidekick Ned is really hot? Or did I just commit a crime of my own?

Whatevs, either way, Mama like.

Lorna, I have not seen the Nancy Drew movie you're talking about here. However, in the spirit of trying to please, I am posting a pic of Bonita and Frankie in their N.D. characters here:

nancydrew-1.jpg

I've been watching the series. I love Bonita. She's cute. And it's just the right kind of show for a Saturday morning, followed by a creature feature. My kind of Saturday.

However, today's entry, the above-mentioned title has our plucky gal breaking I don't know how many laws, (and it's not even over yet)

among her crimes:

Providing false evidence (a false suicide note she has her boyfriend write to cover up a murder), witholding evidence, providing a false statement to the police, impeding a murder investigation, multiple counts of breaking an entering, theft, damage to private property, trespassing, discharging a gun on public land, and- most notably- SPIKING THE DRINKS OF TWO HARMLESS OLD LADIES WITH SLEEPING TABLETS in order to ransack their house for "clues."

She did all that! I think I'd better go back to the Hardy Boys mysteries (or should I worry?)

I've been watching the series. I love Bonita. She's cute. And it's just the right kind of show for a Saturday morning, followed by a creature feature. My kind of Saturday.

I love Bonita too.  She had a lot of spunk and she was a supporting player in many fine films,  two with Bette Davis; Now Voyager and It's Love I'm After.   She also has a good part in The Glass Key,  a very gritty noir with Alan Ladd.

Bonita would marry millionaire Jack Wrather who owned the DisneyLand Hotel.    A long time back I use to go to the Bonita Tower and Granville's Steak House located in the hotel.   

I mentioned these shows in another topic re: the Saturday morning movies.  While may be "cheesy," they are all entertaining.

Bonita Granville did a great job as Nancy Drew and we frequently watch her DVD's.  Wish she had done more.They are fairly inexpensive and well worth the money.  Like a lot of movies from this period, they are short and very entertaining so you can watch them often.

I think Granville was about 15 or so when she did these, maybe 16.  Guess she had a driver's license, but maybe not based on the way she drove.

Frankie Thomas went on to play a space cadet on a TV series.

The TV shows with Pamela Sue Martin were very well done also.  Much better than their Hardy Boy counterpart shows.  I would purchase the Martin shows if they would split them out from the Hardy Boy episodes.

Has anyone else been watching Nancy Drew and the Case of the Hidden Staircase (1939)?

I believe it was the fourth and final entry in the series. Maybe they ran out of crimes for her to commit I mean investigate.

• Like 1

Lorna, I have not seen the Nancy Drew movie you're talking about here. However, in the spirit of trying to please, I am posting a pic of Bonita and Frankie in their N.D. characters here:

nancydrew-1.jpg

Thanks for posting that picture.

I want to say that all four Nancy Drew movies were made the same year- 1939, they must've kept Bonita and Frankie pretty busy. I'm sure Bonita, who again, had been a best supporting actress nominee for These Three at something like age 12 in the category's inaugural year was a little annoyed she was given such light material.

Her role in Now, Voyager is terrible- really not much of a reason for it, and I cringe every time and and Bette Davis exchange passive-aggressive fat jokes and jibes to one another. (I do like Now, Voyager though.) Her role in The Glass Key is better.

She never- to my knowledge- got another role that tapped in to her undeniable dramatic strengths the way she did with These Three and it is a shame. Warner Bros.- while my favorite studio of the 30s and 40s- sometimes just didn't know what to do with their talent, and I think you were either on the "A-list" or the "B-list" in the management's eyes and they weren't too interested in moving anyone up in the ranks.

... I'm sure Bonita, who again, had been a best supporting actress nominee for These Three at so.

She never- to my knowledge- got another role that tapped in to her undeniable dramatic strengths the way she did with These Three and it is a shame. Warner Bros.- while my favorite studio of the 30s and 40s- sometimes just didn't know what to do with their talent, and I think you were either on the "A-list" or the "B-list" in the management's eyes and they weren't too interested in moving anyone up in the ranks.

Oooh, and she's so evil in These Three. What a horrible little girl - Bonita gets it just right. You gotta admire her, one would think it would be difficult for a kid to play such an unsympathetic role, but Bonita Granville is up to the challenge. She's really very good in it.

i thought bonita was great in _merrily we live_.

i SO wanted to punch the crap out of her brother kane when he pulled her hair at the breakfast table.    :angry:

i thought bonita was great in _merrily we live_.

i SO wanted to punch the crap out of her brother kane when he pulled her hair at the breakfast table.    :angry:

Check out Bonita in another fine comedy;  It's Love I'm After with Bette Davis,  Leslie Howard,  and Olivia DeHavilland.   

On 7/26/2014 at 9:10 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

She was awfully good in "Hitler's Children," a 1943 drama -- directed by Edward Dmytryk -- that was one of RKO's biggest hits of the year. She played a German-born American girl who fell for a Nazi Youth member (Tim Holt) in Berlin.

HitlersChildrenGranville.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

OH WOW!

THANKS x 10000 WHOEVER DUG THIS UP!!!!!!!

(Lawrence?)

While I would like to take credit the last post I made (before Larry), was back in 2014!!!!    So yea,  thank Larry.

Image result for bonita granville    Image result for bonita granville

Can't recall the name of the movie and looked in Wiki, but doesn't jump out at me.  She played the younger sister in a mystery movie who became involved with a "bad" guy.  Her brother tried to break them up.

I wonder if her height and perennial youthful looks kept her from getting more serious, more mature roles.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

Can't recall the name of the movie and looked in Wiki, but doesn't jump out at me.  She played the younger sister in a mystery movie who became involved with a "bad" guy.  Her brother tried to break them up.

I wonder if her height and perennial youthful looks kept her from getting more serious, more mature roles.

The film was the Ladd \ Lake noir,  The Glass Key.    This was a good adult role for her,  in a major 'A' Paramount film,  that got a lot of press after the splash Ladd and Lake made in This Gun for Hire.

The brother was played by Brian Donlevy.    The Glass Key is one of my favorite noirs,  especially for the suicide scene where the Ladd character 'goats' the man into killing himself (which barely got passed the censors).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Can't believe it's been four years. Feels more like two to me. Guess time flies when the world is falling all the Hell to pieces 

I've been told things are great again. I don't leave the house, so I really couldn't say.

That new Nancy Drew project I mentioned is a movie, working title: Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase. It's due to release next year some time. The star is Sophia Lillis, who was very good in last year's It.

tumblr_oza9tzo6H71vzezh1o9_400.png

• Thanks 1

I had forgotten the extent of Nancy's crimes in the name of Justice until I reread my original post this morning.

Damn sister.

I really think Bonita played Nancy Drew like the little sociopathic girl from THESE THREE grown a little older, and craftier in her manipulations.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've been told things are great again. I don't leave the house, so I really couldn't say.

That new Nancy Drew project I mentioned is a movie, working title: Nancy Drew and the Hidden Staircase. It's due to release next year some time. The star is Sophia Lillis, who was very good in last year's It.

tumblr_oza9tzo6H71vzezh1o9_400.png

How'd you see IT if u don't leave the house?

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

How'd you see IT if u don't leave the house?

dog-at-computer1-670x335.png

81An4fAm2JL._SX342_.jpg

ups_guy-courtesy-nakedthanks.com_.jpg

article-0-0D78AF4700000578-237_468x311.j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1