Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Who is your favourite British actress?

75 posts in this topic

And yet she managed to get my attention - even as she was dwarfed by all those far more famous names.

I agree.   It isn't about the amount of time she has on screen but the impact she makes.  i.e. what she does with that time on screen.   She does more with that limited time than others do with twice as much.    

Wendy Hiller won an Oscar for Separate Tables.

That means that many others saw the same type of magic Darkblue and I saw in that performance,  limited screen time and all.

Emma Thompson.

I just really like her.  For a second choice, I would probably choose Judi Dench, and then Greer Garson.

Emma Thompson.

I just really like her.  For a second choice, I would probably choose Judi Dench, and then Greer Garson.

I second Emma Thompson as it relates to post Production code British actresses.

I previously listed Yvonne Mitchell. She's not well known in this country, but if you ever get a chance to see her in Woman in a Dressing Gown and The Divided Heart she'd probably just to the top of many lists. Astonishing performances indeed.

Also not well known in this country is British superstar Anna Neagle. From the mid-1930s til the late 50s she was a major box office star in UK in a series of costume dramas, musicals, and comedies. She's well worth seeking out.

Christie. Those lips, those eyes, that talent! Has she ever been a Star of the Month?

f069058d25.gif

Christie. Those lips, those eyes, that talent! Has she ever been a Star of the Month?

No Julie or Christie has ever been SOTM.

No Julie or Christie has ever been SOTM.

That's downright sacrilegious!

• Like 1

Wendy Hiller won an Oscar for Separate Tables.

I know, but I could never see why. I think that Kerr, Niven, Lancaster, and Hayworth were better, minute for minute of screen time.

and i carry a torch for ida lupino.

she also directed a few things.

I'm a very big Ida Lupino fan.   Sadly she was under contract with Warners Brothers while Bette Davis was under contract.  Like others actresses at the studio (Olivia DeHavilland,  Ann Sheridan),  Davis got first pick for the juicy female roles.

So the Lupino film legacy is somewhat thin but still there is a lot of great work there. 

f069058d25.gif

I love, love, love Julie Christie even though I hate, hate, hate DR. ZHIVAGO.

She did have a day during one of the Summer Under The Stars but it was before I started watching TCM.

I'm a very big Ida Lupino fan.   Sadly she was under contract with Warners Brothers while Bette Davis was under contract.  Like others actresses at the studio (Olivia DeHavilland,  Ann Sheridan),  Davis got first pick for the juicy female roles.

So the Lupino film legacy is somewhat thin but still there is a lot of great work there. 

I'm waiting for TCM to show The Light that Failed. One of my top ten, not necessarily for Ida Lupino, though she's great -- I love the whole film!

I love, love, love Julie Christie even though I hate, hate, hate DR. ZHIVAGO.

She did have a day during one of the Summer Under The Stars but it was before I started watching TCM.

I remember the date well! It was Monday, August 2, 2010, and it all began with one of her first movies -- "The Fast Lady" (1962). "Doctor Zhivago" was on the menu that day, too. Unlike you and other dissenters, I could watch it every time TCM shows it. A truly epic film by Sir David Lean! I wouldn't be surprised if Christie's performance in the movie helped her win the 1965 Best Actress Oscar for "Darling."

I remember the date well! It was Monday, August 2, 2010, and it all began with one of her first movies -- "The Fast Lady" (1962). "Doctor Zhivago" was on the menu that day, too. Unlike you and other dissenters, I could watch it every time TCM shows it. A truly epic film by Sir David Lean! I wouldn't be surprised if Christie's performance in the movie helped her win the 1965 Best Actress Oscar for "Darling."

Dissent is healthy, so long as there is respect behind it. 

Dissent is healthy, so long as there is respect behind it. 

Oh, absolutely! I dislike the New York Yankees, but I don't diss people who love them.

Oh, absolutely! I dislike the New York Yankees, but I don't diss people who love them.

I am not a huge fan of Ronald Reagan or John Wayne, but I respect other people's right to appreciate them. I am not the kind to silence anyone for liking them. Sure, I have criticisms, but I still respect people's right to like whoever they choose. It's when its imposed disrespectfully and my right to choice on the matter is disrespected do I have an issue. 

i'm sure it did help her win the Oscar for Darling........

Well I will diss on people who are fans of a team only when they are winning.   My friend's son,  who is 12,  is like that.    It took me a while to figure it out,  but when I would ask him what his favorite football, baseball or basketball team was,   year after year,   I started to see a pattern.   Each year he figures out who the best team is (the team most likely to win it all),  and that is his favorite team.  

The problem is that the kid can't accept losing even for something as silly as pulling for your favorite sports team.   

Well I will diss on people who are fans of a team only when they are winning.   My friend's son,  who is 12,  is like that.    It took me a while to figure it out,  but when I would ask him what his favorite football, baseball or basketball team was,   year after year,   I started to see a pattern.   Each year he figures out who the best team is (the team most likely to win it all),  and that is his favorite team.  

The problem is that the kid can't accept losing even for something as silly as pulling for your favorite sports team.   

I still remember that around 1960, there was a Philly radio host who called them the "despicable. abominable, monopolistic New York Yankees".