TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

The Niagara thread gave me this inspiration.

Who, in your opinion, is the single most annoying actor or actress in the movies? It may be a star or someone in character support.

It's not that that person is necessarily a BAD actor. It may just be something about the voice or the manner of that person that drives you to threaten to jump off a cliff rather than watch him (or her) in a film.

My nomination:

images4_zps9e5b5cb2.jpg

Casey Adams! (Also known as Max Showalter, also known as That Braying Jackass).

Never have I seen an Adams performance that doesn't threaten to have me grind down my teeth to the gum line. He has this blinking YUK-YUK-YUK laughter that you can hear in the next county, and he always seems so incredibly pleased with himself. (Proof of what very low standards he must have had in order to be so easily pleased).

Casey never became a star. DO YOU WONDER WHY?

Anyone else have a passionate feeling of "Oh NO! Not HIM! He makes me SICK!" that you care to share with us?

You didn't, at least, enjoy Benigni at the Oscar ceremonies, when he stood on the back of the seats?

You didn't, at least, enjoy Benigni at the Oscar ceremonies, when he stood on the back of the seats?

That was one of the MOST annoying things about him (though his performances are not far behind)!

Me and all my proxies respectfully submit: Richard Dix - the onscreen personality with virtually ... no personality. I'm not a gal but watching him makes my skin crawl.ogxbmp.jpg

• Like 1

Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, Red Skelton and Howard Keel.  The combination of stale jokes, phony piety and cornball baritone singing is absolutely deadly.  These are the sort of actors whose best roles would be as last resort Guantanamo interrogators.  

• Like 1

The Niagara thread gave me this inspiration.

Who, in your opinion, is the single most annoying actor or actress in the movies? It may be a star or someone in character support.

It's not that that person is necessarily a BAD actor. It may just be something about the voice or the manner of that person that drives you to threaten to jump off a cliff rather than watch him (or her) in a film.

My nomination:

images4_zps9e5b5cb2.jpg

Casey Adams! (Also known as Max Showalter, also known as That Braying Jackass).

Never have I seen an Adams performance that doesn't threaten to have me grind down my teeth to the gum line. He has this blinking YUK-YUK-YUK laughter that you can hear in the next county, and he always seems so incredibly pleased with himself. (Proof of what very low standards he must have had in order to be so easily pleased).

Casey never became a star. DO YOU WONDER WHY?

Anyone else have a passionate feeling of "Oh NO! Not HIM! He makes me SICK!" that you care to share with us?

Tom, I agree with you on Casey Adams, as I mentioned on the NIAGARA thread. Both that voice and that laugh are.grating in the extreme.

I knew Max in the last few years of his life.  He was a very close friend of Katharine Hepburn and lived near her in Chester, Conn.  Max, as you may recall, played the Minister in "10".  When the old lady passes in front of the camera and *makes a noise*, the dog jumps up and runs away.  Max says to Dudley Moore: "Whenever Mrs. Kissell breaks wind we beat the dog".

Every few months I used to call Max's number and, in my very excellent imitation of him, would say "May I speak with Mrs. Kissell please!"  He would always reply, "I'm sorry, but she's out beating the dog again!"

Max was a great musician and a real fun guy.  He was very close to Mary Martin and had many photos of them together hung around his house.  During his last years he was very active in a local theater company.  A real solid citizen.

I knew Max in the last few years of his life.  He was a very close friend of Katharine Hepburn and lived near her in Chester, Conn.  Max, as you may recall, played the Minister in "10".  When the old lady passes in front of the camera and *makes a noise*, the dog jumps up and runs away.  Max says to Dudley Moore: "Whenever Mrs. Kissell breaks wind we beat the dog".

Every few months I used to call Max's number and, in my very excellent imitation of him, would say "May I speak with Mrs. Kissell please!"  He would always reply, "I'm sorry, but she's out beating the dog again!"

Max was a great musician and a real fun guy.  He was very close to Mary Martin and had many photos of them together hung around his house.  During his last years he was very active in a local theater company.  A real solid citizen.

Thanks very much for that reminiscence of a friend, Ray. It's good to know that Max was a good guy in real life.

I hope you are not offended by my original post and the exuberance with which I made my case. I am talking, of course, only about my reaction to him on the big screen. It has nothing to do with him as a human being.

**** Wee Herman  LOL!!! Even the website think he's annoying

pee-wee-herman_jpg-3050.jpg

Eddie Deezen  Glad he got blasted in "Laserblast"  (1978)

eddiedeezen.jpg

Outside of being a brat, Michael Oliver is most annoying (like finger nails over a blackboard)._Paddle__by_SephirothXer0.gif

404164.jpg

My mom loves Jim Varney in "Ernest Goes To Camp" (1987) but the 2 cooks gets under her skin.

qb5YR5d.gif

Well Tom, seein' as how the term "actor" is now being applied generically to women who act as well, I'm going to add a couple of ladies here who while very good at their craft, every time they'd open their mouth to speak, it was like nails on the ol' chalkboard to my ears...

Brushingshelleyidontcare.jpg

...and...

s_37486shirleybooth11.jpg

(...SHREEEEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHHH!)

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that reminiscence of a friend, Ray. It's good to know that Max was a good guy in real life.

I hope you are not offended by my original post and the exuberance with which I made my case. I am talking, of course, only about my reaction to him on the big screen. It has nothing to do with him as a human being.

I NEVER take offense at an honest opinion.  Max (as Casey) played a detective in one picture.  BOY was he out of place there!

I NEVER take offense at an honest opinion.  Max (as Casey) played a detective in one picture.  BOY was he out of place there!

Would that be "Dick Chasen" in the classic The Indestructible Man?

Tom, I agree with you on Casey Adams, as I mentioned on the NIAGARA thread. Both that voice and that laugh are.grating in the extreme.

He was pretty okay in The Monster That Challenged The World:)

Well Tom, seein' as how the term "actor" is now being applied generically to women who act as well, I'm going to add a couple of ladies here who while very good at their craft, every time they'd open their mouth to speak, it was like nails on the ol' chalkboard to my ears...

(...SHREEEEEEEEEECCCCCHHHHHH!)

Dargo, what about Rosanne Barr? Don't mean to drive you insane, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-jWl0O34U

Edited by hamradio

As it relates to actresses I have to agree with your two choices here.   But Shirley Winters was great playing the annoying and often clinging women.   So may fine performaces in first rate movie.    So I enjoy watching a picture that has Winters in it.

Booth I just find annoying.    It relates to how she talks.    So I'm not a fan of most movies she is in.

While those are great choices Dargo,  number one actress on my list is still June Allyson.

While those are great choices Dargo,  number one actress on my list is still June Allyson.

Sorry James, but while June's "Five-Pack-a-Day" sounding voice IS off-putting to me TOO, I'm stickin' with those nasally and whinny soundin' voices of Shelley's and Shirley's as the kind of voice that would have ME lookin' for an escape route within minutes IF I ever found myself stuck in some freakin' room with 'em!!! ;)

Most of the time I can't stand Carole Lombard, especially in those"comedy" roles. I want to $&@#%+ punch her in My Man Godfrey and Twentieth Century.

Dargo, what about Rosanne Barr? Don't mean to drive you insane, LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-jWl0O34U

OH yeah, her's too. But at least in Rosanne's case, THAT'S part of her comedic shtick, and unlike those two dramatic actresses I just mentioned.

Most of the time I mostly can't stand Carole Lombard, especially in those"comedy" roles. I want to $&@#%+ punch her in My Man Godfrey and Twentieth Century.

Since I put Lombard high on my list of actors/actresses with whom I would have liked to have been friends in real life, we dont see eye to eye on this one.

And be careful. You punch Lombard and guranteed she'd drop a platter full of plates and glasses all over your head. ;)  This lady wouldn't take guff from anybody, including Harry Cohn with whom she had an exchange of expletives (so much so that Cohn began to grudgingly respect her).

Since I put Lombard high on my list of actors/actresses with whom I would have liked to have been friends in real life, we dont see eye to eye on this one.

And be careful. You punch Lombard and guranteed she'd drop a platter full of plates and glasses all over your head. ;)  This lady wouldn't take guff from anybody, including Harry Cohn with whom she had an exchange of expletives (so much so that Cohn began to grudgingly respect her).

I'm also a big fan of Carole Lombard.   With actors that do comedy,   one has to really like their screen persona to enjoy the 'act'.   e.g.  At first I couldn't stand the Judy Holliday persona.    I'm a fan now of a few of her films and think she is very funny in those films.   But a little does go a long way.   i.e. with Lombard I like her persona in movie after movie,  with Holliday only a few movies. 

I feel similar about Betty Hutton.   I love her when she is a supporting player but when she became a star and the movies were build around her persona,  that persona was a little overwhelming to take for a full 90 minutes.  

• Like 1

There are actors listed in this thread whose performances I enjoy. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

I could do a very shocking thing and go further, but I'll just let it stand with Lombard.

Me and all my proxies respectfully submit: Richard Dix - the onscreen personality with virtually ... no personality. I'm not a gal but watching him makes my skin crawl.

Richard Dix's performance in Cimarron would make my list of the 10 worst performances ever nominated for an Oscar. There are, in fact, scenes where he is playing opposite Irene Dunne (who was a terrific actress) and you can briefly witness her discomfort with how over the top he is.

• Like 1

I like Carole Lombard very much, but I can totally understand anyone not caring for her in either Twentieth Century (one of the most overrated films of the 30's) or Nothing Sacred. She is shrill and grating in both.

In the older classics for me it would have to be Either Jimmy Lydon or Ish kabibble.

These days it's Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller pulling in to tie in the stretch...

Sepiatone