TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2014 at 6:53 AM, TikiSoo said:

Groucho played the clarinet, I believe.

Ouch.

Groucho played the guitar.

But he only played it in one movie HORSEFEATHERS.

It's one of my favorite scenes as Thelma Todd tries cajoling the "football secrets" from him using baby talk. Groucho doesn't fall for it and taunts back that he'll kick her "widdle teef in"

That was really funny, Groucho says "if widdle girl doesn't stop tawking wike that, big stwong man is gonna kick aww her teef down her widdle thwoat". And before that after the first time Thelma talks that way, Groucho says "was that you or the duck? Cause if it was you, I'm gonna finish this ride with the duck". Very funny.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2014 at 2:13 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I like Carole Lombard very much, but I can totally understand anyone not caring for her in either Twentieth Century (one of the most overrated films of the 30's) or Nothing Sacred. She is shrill and grating in both.

I have to disagree, I found her charming and hilarious in both films, especially NOTHING SACRED.

I have no use for Adam Sandler, Jerry Lewis, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn or Pee Wee Herman.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have to disagree, I found her charming and hilarious in both films, especially NOTHING SACRED.

I have no use for Adam Sandler, Jerry Lewis, Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn or Pee Wee Herman.

Catching up on your reading I see since the post you replied to was from 2014.  (ha ha).  

But I agree with you.   In comedy there is a fine line between charming and hilarious and annoying but I don't think she crossed it in Nothing Sacred (but in 20th Century both stars crossed that line from time to time, but that is the 'vibe' Hawks was trying to communicate).

As for most annoying actress:  my choice is Shelley Winters,  but in a good way.  I.e. she was very effective playing annoying characters like in A Place in the Sun and Lolita etc...    That is fine acting.

The most annoying actress in a bad way is June Allyson.   The combination of her voice and manner just annoys the heck out of me.   (but she was in some very fine films).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The most annoying actress in a bad way is June Allyson.   The combination of her voice and manner just annoys the heck out of me.   (but she was in some very fine films).

I could not stand her in Little Women.  She was miscast as Jo.  I don't mind Allyson when she portrays more of a supporting character.  She's not bad in Executive Suite.  

I absolutely could not tolerate her in Good News.  I tried watching that movie twice--I just couldn't get through it.  She is also paired up with Peter Lawford, whom I also find annoying, not as annoying as Allyson, but pretty close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I could not stand her in Little Women.  She was miscast as Jo.  I don't mind Allyson when she portrays more of a supporting character.  She's not bad in Executive Suite.  

I absolutely could not tolerate her in Good News.  I tried watching that movie twice--I just couldn't get through it.  She is also paired up with Peter Lawford, whom I also find annoying, not as annoying as Allyson, but pretty close.

I agree about Executive Suite and it was one of the fine films I was referring too.   But then she had a fairly small part in the film.  

One good comparison is with The Women and The Opposite Sex.  While I'm only lukewarm towards Norma Shearer how she handles the role as a women that has been cheated on is done very well and one feels compassion towards the character.   Instead the way Allyson plays the character just makes me wonder why her husband married her in the first place! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

But then she had a fairly small part in the film.  

That's probably why she was so good in it.  Lol! 

1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I have no use for Adam Sandler,  Ben Stiller

Awww!!!

So you don't like BILLY MADISON or ZOOLANDER? 

"Stop looking at me, swan."

1 minute ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Awww!!!

I don't find Ben annoying only boring.    But Adam?  The only film I like is 50 First Dates and that is because Drew is sooooo dang charming in this film (plus the plot is unique). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Awww!!!

I love ZoolanderBilly Madison, not so much.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Awww!!!

Nope.  He's just not my cup of tea and never will be.

I'll also add Bob Hope to the list, like Sandler,  his humor just wasn't to my taste. 

I won't say Hope was annoying though, only that his appeal has always been lost on me.

25 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

With all due respect to all of you musical theater fans, Carol Channing is near the top of my most annoying list.

I can understand that. Someone who I can only listen to for short periods of time, is someone who I believe Carol took voice lessons from: Louis Armstrong. :P

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HoldenIsHere said:

Awww!!!

I love Zoolander.  I know it's dumb, but it cracks me up.  "At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really ridiculously good-looking." 

I also love Will Ferrell's dog during the "Derelict" fashion show who is wearing the little garbage bag shirt. 

Billy Madison has its moments.  Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison are it for me with Adam Sandler's dumb man-child persona.  "Chlorophyll? More like BOREophyll."

38 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't find Ben annoying only boring.    But Adam?  The only film I like is 50 First Dates and that is because Drew is sooooo dang charming in this film (plus the plot is unique). 

I liked 50 First Dates, but I also liked The Wedding Singer.  The Wedding Singer is funny and Adam is just playing a relatively normal, nice guy.  He was way better than Glen Gulia.  I mean, Drew Barrymore's character was going to be "Julia Gulia" if she married him! There's also a great supporting cast of characters like Steve Buscemi as the angry best man at one of Adam's wedding jobs, the adorable old lady who learns the Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight," Adam's friend who is obsessed with Michael Jackson, the old man at the bar who tells Adam he needs a prostitute, John Lovitz who sings a rousing version of Kool and the Gang's "Ladies Night," and even Billy Idol! 

6 hours ago, Swithin said:

Roberto Benigni 

Roger Ebert was hosting the pre-Academy Award walk down the carpet (whatever they call it) where just anyone of the great stars just might amble by. Roberto Benigni came by and Roger, noticing that Roberto was actually relatively still and speaking casually, said (approximate quote), "Oh, look who's here! You mean you are actually a real person."

But back to the point. Annoying as all get out.

Farley Granger. No surprise here. Anyone who knows me knows Farley is #1 on my Who Cares/Strongly Dislike list. His voice is extremely annoying, and it gets on my nerves after awhile. He's basically the male version of Kristen Stewart; both were former teen stars who got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I liked 50 First Dates, but I also liked The Wedding Singer.  The Wedding Singer is funny and Adam is just playing a relatively normal, nice guy.

Granted I did enjoy The Wedding Singer, but again it was mostly because of Drew (and yea,  I like Drew with one reason being my wife and her look very similar),   but Adam wasn't annoying in this film (but man his best friend was!).    So I'll give you one there.   :D

9 hours ago, laffite said:

Roger Ebert was hosting the pre-Academy Award walk down the carpet (whatever they call it) where just anyone of the great stars just might amble by. Roberto Benigni came by and Roger, noticing that Roberto was actually relatively still and speaking casually, said (approximate quote), "Oh, look who's here! You mean you are actually a real person."

But back to the point. Annoying as all get out.

C'mon, like you didn't just love seeing him jump on the backs of the Academy Award chairs to get up on stage with Sophia Loren when he won???

Okay, maybe you didn't...

I think I like Benigni about a million times more than Ebert though...don't judge me!

13 hours ago, jameselliot said:

Dennis Leary, Jon Cryer. I'm sure they're decent men who are good to their families and pay their taxes.

That reminds me of Cryer's old castmate Charlie Sheen....you know, the guy who was WINNING, with tiger blood in his veins and his love goddesses!

Talk about egomaniac here.

Maybe his HIV status has humbled him, one can only hope....

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2014 at 9:11 AM, DownGoesFrazier said:

Assuming we can compare men and women, June Allyson was even more annoying than Max/Casey. They would have made a dream (or nightmare) couple....Wasn't there a baseball player named Max Casey?

June Allyson makes me want to gag. I can't stand her. That voice, that cute-siness. UGH! she gets my vote.

Kay Francis is my first pick however. If she's in the cast I won't watch it. I've tried a few and that was enough. She can't even pose for a still without being melodramatic:

Image result for kay francis photos

4 minutes ago, marcar said:

Kay Francis is my first pick however. If she's in the cast I won't watch it. I've tried a few and that was enough. She can't even pose for a still without being melodramatic:

Mariam Hopkins can join that club.

• Like 1