TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, marcar said:

June Allyson makes me want to gag. I can't stand her. That voice, that cute-siness. UGH! she gets my vote.

Kay Francis is my first pick however. If she's in the cast I won't watch it. I've tried a few and that was enough. She can't even pose for a still without being melodramatic:

We agree on Allyson since she was my #1 choice,  but I'm a fan of Francis.   While she was often melodramatic she was in many fine films and in these gave I what feel is an effective performance:

Jewell Robbery,  One Way Passage, and Trouble In Paradise are these films,  and in In Name Only she played a not-so-nice lady well.   

Note that Miriam Hopkins is in Trouble In Paradise and I find her to be a hoot in this film,  as well as other.    While I understand why Hopkins could grate on someone (Laffite),  I have come to really enjoy her work.   But I can see where the energy she brings to a performance can be overwhelming.    (kind of like Betty Hutton).

Just goes to show that actors effect each of us in different ways. 

• Like 1

Jim Carrey annoys me instantly when I see him. He doesn't even have to be speaking or moving. Just seeing him is enough.

Two classic film stars who I find annoying are Betty Hutton and Mickey Rooney. I think they are just too broad in their gestures for my taste. Nothing personal against either of them, though.

22 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While I understand why Hopkins could grate on someone (Laffite),

The mention I made was in part due to having just watched Old Acquaintance where she was quite over the top. She was obviously directed to do that, that was the character serving as a necessary foil for the breathtakingly level-headed Bette. It might be unfair to refer to as annoying. She is a good actress. Though her character is deeply unlikable in Carrie ('53) she does a great job. I have also recently watched The Old Maid but there she and Bette play off each other in what I would call an enjoyable melodramatic duet. She was more restrained in The Heiress but I found her character annoying though for other reasons. But my reference to her I see now might have been a little impulsive.

6 hours ago, laffite said:

The mention I made was in part due to having just watched Old Acquaintance where she was quite over the top. She was obviously directed to do that, that was the character serving as a necessary foil for the breathtakingly level-headed Bette. It might be unfair to refer to as annoying. She is a good actress. Though her character is deeply unlikable in Carrie ('53) she does a great job. I have also recently watched The Old Maid but there she and Bette play off each other in what I would call an enjoyable melodramatic duet. She was more restrained in The Heiress but I found her character annoying though for other reasons. But my reference to her I see now might have been a little impulsive.

I view Hopkins like I do Shelley Winters;  They play many annoying characters but that is what the director wanted for the part and they are very effective at playing such parts.

If one had just seen Old Acquaintance I can understand the 'annoying' POV based on that performance.    Yea,  the director wanted her to be a little over the top,  as a contrast to Bette's character,  but I believe she went over,  over-the-top,  because of Bette.   Hopkins wanted to ensure she was noticed as an 'equal' to Bette (Queen of the WB lot) and so she upped the juice! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  the director wanted her to be a little over the top,  as a contrast to Bette's character,  but I believe she went over,  over-the-top,  because of Bette.

Agreed. Her character would have been much more effective, dramatically, if she had portrayed her character in a more realistic vein, instead of a caricature. That would have required real acting, not just mindless emoting. If Mariam did not succeed in replacing Bette as Queen of the Lot, she certainly made a mighty attempt of replacing her as Queen of Camp. Bette in Old Acquaintance is just the opposite this time and I thought she was phenomenal. I don't know enough to say whether this role would exactly be considered against type but I sure like her in it.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 7:44 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Catching up on your reading I see since the post you replied to was from 2014.  (ha ha).  

But I agree with you.   In comedy there is a fine line between charming and hilarious and annoying but I don't think she crossed it in Nothing Sacred (but in 20th Century both stars crossed that line from time to time, but that is the 'vibe' Hawks was trying to communicate).

As for most annoying actress:  my choice is Shelley Winters,  but in a good way.  I.e. she was very effective playing annoying characters like in A Place in the Sun and Lolita etc...    That is fine acting.

The most annoying actress in a bad way is June Allyson.   The combination of her voice and manner just annoys the heck out of me.   (but she was in some very fine films).

I agree somewhat. I didn't care that much for June Allyson's number "Cleopatterer". And I didn't care much for her in Good news, or for that film much either.  But she was pretty good as Glen Miller's (James Stewart) wife in The Glen Miller story, and I also liked her performance " Treat me rough" in Girl crazy with Mickey Rooney. She had a sassiness there that she didn't have so much in her future films.

On 1/24/2018 at 1:33 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

We agree on Allyson since she was my #1 choice,  but I'm a fan of Francis.   While she was often melodramatic she was in many fine films and in these gave I what feel is an effective performance:

Jewell Robbery,  One Way Passage, and Trouble In Paradise are these films,  and in In Name Only she played a not-so-nice lady well.   

Note that Miriam Hopkins is in Trouble In Paradise and I find her to be a hoot in this film,  as well as other.    While I understand why Hopkins could grate on someone (Laffite),  I have come to really enjoy her work.   But I can see where the energy she brings to a performance can be overwhelming.    (kind of like Betty Hutton).

Just goes to show that actors effect each of us in different ways. 

Betty Huton is my top choice for most annoying in, especially in Annie get your gun. Also, the film with the annoying fast singing song "Abadabbadabba" with the overly fast annoying way that what's her name sings it, I forgot her name.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2014 at 11:09 PM, AndyM108 said:

But I challenge anyone to name a good Hugh Herbert part!

If you took all of Hugh Herbert's movies and had 100 people watch them all in various random orders, I'll bet that every one of them would say that no matter what the order, Herbert just kept getting more and more insufferable  with each successive film.  It'd be like throwing a bunch of lobsters in a cold water pot and then slowly turning up the heat. 

I agree. Hugh wasn't so bad in his earlier films, and I kinda liked him in Dames as Ezra Ounce as the billionaire who keeps threatening to cut off relative Guy Kibee "like a ripe banana". His hiccupping scene in Dames was also funny. Later on in Gold diggers, Paris and in a few other films closer to that time, he was way more annoying. I guess it's because in Dames, he had a serious menace to his character, but later on he went way too overboard with his goofy "woo-hoo woo-hoo!" while running around like a girl.

4 hours ago, Allenex said:

Betty Huton is my top choice for most annoying in, especially in Annie get your gun. Also, the film with the annoying fast singing song "Abadabbadabba" with the overly fast annoying way that what's her name sings it, I forgot her name.

Debbie Reynolds sings the "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" song in Two Weeks With Love.  I don't find that song or Debbie annoying.  I like it. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Allenex said:

I agree. Hugh wasn't so bad in his earlier films, and I kinda liked him in Dames as Ezra Ounce as the billionaire who keeps threatening to cut off relative Guy Kibee "like a ripe banana". His hiccupping scene in Dames was also funny. Later on in Gold diggers, Paris and in a few other films closer to that time, he was way more annoying. I guess it's because in Dames, he had a serious menace to his character, but later on he went way too overboard with his goofy "woo-hoo woo-hoo!" while running around like a girl.

Hugh Herbert is simply boring and not funny at all. I can't think of anyone who I can't stand more than him in terms of a comedian.

If I have a DVD that he's in I just fast forward it and if it's TV I turn my head briefly.

I heard that he wrote a lot of material for other people-- maybe that's why they tolerated him so much.

DAVID WAYNE was one guy that more often grated me in most of his appearances.  Even in roles where his character wasn't supposed to be irritating.

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hugh Herbert is simply boring and not funny at all. I can't think of anyone who I can't stand more than him in terms of a comedian.

If I have a DVD that he's in I just fast forward it and if it's TV I turn my head briefly.

I heard that he wrote a lot of material for other people-- maybe that's why they tolerated him so much.

I thought he was kind of funny in Gold Diggers of 1935. The way his clueless character was taken advantage of all the time. :lol: 

23 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I thought he was kind of funny in Gold Diggers of 1935. The way his clueless character was taken advantage of all the time. :lol: 

Gersh--

I love Universal Horror and a few years back I bought a DVD set with The Black Cat from 1941. It has one of the most marvelous cast in a spooky old house movie on the cheap that you're ever going to get--

Basil Rathbone

Broderick Crawford

Gladys Cooper

Claire Dodd

Anne Gywnne

Alan Ladd-- just starting out

John Eldredge

The Great Gale Sondergaard

And there was even room for that Universal Treasure Bela Lugosi

This film is pure entertainment in the best way for those kind of old spooky house movies with a little comic edge. And Brod Crawford was doing okay with the comic edge,  but they had to team him up with Hugh Herbert, who almost ruins the entire movie for me.

But in all fairness I can just imagine that not only did Bud Abbott steal from Curly, but he also stole some from Hugh Herbert.

But Bud just knew how to tone it down and make it more palatable to an audience for an hour and a half movie.

Gersh-- I invite you to watch this movie and see what you think, but it is a fun film!

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2014 at 3:54 PM, TomJH said:

David Wayne is marvelously self satisfied, smug, obnoxious and downright annoying to distraction in Adam's Rib, as he is supposed to be. And he drives Spencer Tracy crazy in that film, to the extent that he finally pulls a candy gun on him.

I'm sure that Tracy's character only wished that he could have fired licorice bullets at him, too.

Wayne was hilarious as Kip, but yes he was indeed very much self-satisfied, smug, obnoxious and annoying. 

Adam could see right through him, but Amanda, who was too busy with her 'making a cause for woman's rights in a simple assault case' case, failed to notice.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2014 at 2:10 PM, TomJH said:

This isn't going to change your mind about McHugh, Andy, but, just for the record, he was NOT considered for the Edmond O'Brien role in White Heat.

Cagney wanted him to play the role of Tommy Riley, a hood in the prison cell with him whom he would later shoot in the back at the oil refinery when surrounded by the police. Yes, I know, now you wish he had been in the film so you could have seen him take that bullet in the back.

I really like Frank McHugh, but he would have been so out of place in WHITE HEAT, more so as Fallon, which needed a strong dramatic actor like O'Brien for the part.

Even Tommy Riley, though not nearly as big a part as Fallon, would have been too much a stretch for McHugh.

Was McHugh seriously considered for Riley though? Not sure about that.

On Saturday, February 03, 2018 at 1:10 AM, speedracer5 said:

Debbie Reynolds sings the "Abba Dabba Honeymoon" song in Two Weeks With Love.  I don't find that song or Debbie annoying.  I like it. 

I guess that I have different tastes than some of the old movie fans on this website. I've read several times about people not liking Ruby Keeler, but I absolutely love her and think she is wonderful. Ruby doesn't sing in the most skillful way technically, but I find her style of singing cute. She's so adorable, not as much in a sultry way, but in a sweet and beautiful romantic way. Ruby made Jon Homer Lowe the happiest man in the world in 1942 when she retired from films, until 1969 after Mr. Lowe passed on and Ruby starred in No no Nanette and danced amazingly in. Ruby's buck n wing style tap dancing doesn't have Ginger or Eleanor's grace, but it's very skillful, just listen to her tapping rhythm. Ruby was wonderful in almost everything, few examples I love are in I only have eyes for you in  Dames, By a waterfall and Shanghai lil  in Footlight parade, the title song and Mr. and Mrs. is the name in Flirtation walk, and I don't have to dream again and You gotta know how to dance in Coleen. All fabulous.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 10:05 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

I really like Frank McHugh, but he would have been so out of place in WHITE HEAT, more so as Fallon, which needed a strong dramatic actor like O'Brien for the part.

Even Tommy Riley, though not nearly as big a part as Fallon, would have been too much a stretch for McHugh.

Was McHugh seriously considered for Riley though? Not sure about that.

Some people probably found Frank McHugh irritating in Footlight parade with the way he yelled so many times "it can't be done! It just can't be done!", but that film had so much wacky comedy, great wit and timing, that it's forgivable, along with the amusing way they added the cat theme to the show, James Cagney's energy and his hilarious way he mocked McHugh, and those amazing show numbers. Not just the 3 great prologues at the end, but in mid-film the song Ah, the moon is here and the cat thened Sitting on a backyard fence. Also, the wonderful Ruby.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, Allenex said:

What's her name????

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

What's her name????

Betty Hutton is either an acquired taste or someone you can tolerate for a limited amount of time until you get a headache.  For me she's the female Robin Williams. They both were tremendously talented--  performing like a ticking time bomb.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Betty Hutton is either an acquired taste or someone you can tolerate for a limited amount of time until you get a headache.  For me she's the female Robin Williams. They both were tremendously talented--  performing like a ticking time bomb.

Speaking of Robin Williams, I have to say I liked his dramatic parts much better than his comedic roles (exceptions being GOOD MORNING VIETNAM and the Genie in ALADDIN).

54 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Speaking of Robin Williams, I have to say I liked his dramatic parts much better than his comedic roles (exceptions being GOOD MORNING VIETNAM and the Genie in ALADDIN).

I love The Birdcage. I’ve probably seen it at least 20+ times and never tire of it. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, sagebrush said:

Jim Carrey annoys me instantly when I see him. He doesn't even have to be speaking or moving. Just seeing him is enough.

Two classic film stars who I find annoying are Betty Hutton and Mickey Rooney. I think they are just too broad in their gestures for my taste. Nothing personal against either of them, though.

I'm with you on Jim Carrey. However, in full disclosure; I found him so annoying on "In Living Color" on TV that I've never watched any of his movies. Also, I don't find will Ferrell movies very funny, but liked some of his sketches on SNL. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I love The Birdcage. I’ve probably seen it at least 20+ times and never tire of it. 

I wasn't impressed with THE BIRDCAGE, despite the strong supporting cast that co-starred with Williams (Gene Hackman, Nathan Lane, Dianne Wiest). 

Watching it one time was one time too many for me.

No fault of the actors though...just wasn't my type of movie.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:45 PM, speedracer5 said:

I found Robin Williams' comedic acting sort of funny in Mrs. Doubtfire when I first saw it, but his acting as Mrs. Doubtfire did grind on the nerves sort of after seeing the movie multiple times, Robin while being Mrs Doubtfire just didn't know when to shut up. Also, I always found it creepy how freakishly overly attached he was to his kids and the way he worded it in the courtroom scene.