TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

Would that be "Dick Chasen" in the classic The Indestructible Man?

YUP!  THAT'S THE ONE!  With Joe Flynn as a hapless scientist!

re: Dargo

subject: Shirley Booth. Shelley Winters

I have no issue with Shelley's voice in the least, it's her tendency to overdo the really, really pathetic characters she played, practically whimpering and tugging at the audience's sympathies ( A Place in the Sun would be exhibit A in the case against her.) Sometimes she did it and it works- I actually like her in The Poseidon Adventure and would be much happier were Nana Rosen the one and only character to make it out alive. In the end, you gotta respect the Shelmeister for working solidly for three decades in spite of becoming a punchline- taking whatever roles she could get, giving it her all, and scoring two Oscars along the way.

Shirley Booth on the other hand was one of the stupidest choices for Best Actress in the entire history of the Academy Awards....however, I warn you that she still has some very, very committed fans- or at least they should be- who will HUNT YOU DOWN for saying anything bad about her.

If we're talking annoying voices, I can't think of anyone that tops Jean "The Human Car Alarm" Arthur- who I CAN'T STAND in everything she ever did besides Easy Living and History is Made Tonight.

There are actors listed in this thread whose performances I enjoy. It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

I could do a very shocking thing and go further, but I'll just let it stand with Lombard.

Don't ever apologize for your likes or dislikes.  There are probably a few benighted souls who actually like Hope, Crosby, Skelton and Keel, hard as that may be to believe.   :wacko:   And I like Richard Dix.

Though that said, who could possibly not love Carole Lombard?  That's like not loving Jean Harlow or Glenda Farrell or Joan Blondell. It's like not loving Gilda Radner or Julia Louis-Dreyfus, or not loving life itself.  I'm as picky about my faves as anyone, but there are some dislikes that leave me just scratching my head.

• Like 1

In the older classics for me it would have to be Either Jimmy Lydon or Ish kabibble.

These days it's Will Ferrell or Adam Sandler and Ben Stiller pulling in to tie in the stretch...

Sepiatone

I'm seein' the common connection here in these selections and with the mentioning of Lombard and Holliday earlier, that we in general just don't care for actors and actresses who are known for "playing dumb". Would that be about it?!

(...well, disregarding any thought of the vocal mannerisms also possibly in play here)

Don't ever apologize for your likes or dislikes.  There are probably a few benighted souls who actually like Hope, Crosby . . . hard as that may be to believe.  

Present. And I prefer to think of myself as beenknighted. Just call me Sir TomJH.

Don't ever apologize for your likes or dislikes.  There are probably a few benighted souls who actually like Hope, Crosby, Skelton and Keel, hard as that may be to believe.   

The only one of your "Unholy Foursome" that I am totally simpatico with you on is Bob Hope- ick.

Crosby was smug- but he was one of the best vocalists of the 20th century and as much as I loathe nearly everything else about The Country Girl, I was impressed by him in it. I like Skelton, but can understand why some wouldn't and I have no bones to pick with Keel.

I'm also a big fan of Carole Lombard.   With actors that do comedy,   one has to really like their screen persona to enjoy the 'act'.   e.g.  At first I couldn't stand the Judy Holliday persona.    I'm a fan now of a few of her films and think she is very funny in those films.   But a little does go a long way.   i.e. with Lombard I like her persona in movie after movie,  with Holliday only a few movies. 

I feel similar about Betty Hutton.   I love her when she is a supporting player but when she became a star and the movies were build around her persona,  that persona was a little overwhelming to take for a full 90 minutes.  

I'm in agreement with your assessment of Judy Holliday's on-screen persona. I can only take it in one film (pick any) because she seems to carry it with her into other roles and THAT is what I dislike about her. To me, she's playing the same character in all of her films.

The only one of your "Unholy Foursome" that I am totally simpatico with you on is Bob Hope- ick.

Hey, great minds think alike, at least some of the time.

Crosby was smug- but he was one of the best vocalists of the 20th century and as much as I loathe nearly everything else about The Country Girl, I was impressed by him in it. I like Skelton, but can understand why some wouldn't and I have no bones to pick with Keel.

My reaction to Howard Keel is similar to Homer Simpson's initial reaction to Paint Your Wagon.  Singing cowboys?  Please.

As for Crosby the crooner, give me Sinatra or Johnny Hartman any day.  Old Bing puts me to sleep.

Skelton is just flat out annoying, on the level of Tim Whatley's Jewish jokes, but like all of my blatherings, these are nothing but opinions. :)

• Like 1

I'm in agreement with your assessment of Judy Holliday's on-screen persona. I can only take it in one film (pick any) because she seems to carry it with her into other roles and THAT is what I dislike about her. To me, she's playing the same character in all of her films.

I'm thinking then perhaps you have never seen The Marrying Kind (1952). Holliday's work in that film is one of the finest performances of the 1950's.

ANDYM: As for Crosby the crooner, give me Sinatra or Johnny Hartman any day.  Old Bing puts me to sleep.

ME: And you know, to me, Sinatra always sounds like he's just going through the motions...Like I can imagine him in the recording studio, nine-iron slung over his shoulder, snapping his fingers at the guys in the sound booth: "hey, fellas, can you speed this up? I got holes to play and broads to bang...Ready? A-one and a-two and- doo-bee-doo-bee-dooo..."

Gimme Dino over any of the other male vocalists of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAZYbzy3j78

What is so odd about this whole thread is that I do like most everyone that most posters find annoying, except Judy Holliday. She was pretty annoying even though I've seen most of her movies. I'm a fan of Winters and Allyson and P. W. Herman and Hope and Crosby, Keel, Skelton. Heck, I even enjoy Ferrell, Sandler & Stiller.

What is so odd about this whole thread is that I do like most everyone that most posters find annoying, except Judy Holliday. She was pretty annoying even though I've seen most of her movies. I'm a fan of Winters and Allyson and P. W. Herman and Hope and Crosby, Keel, Skelton. Heck, I even enjoy Ferrell, Sandler & Stiller.

Well, uh, you see HelenBaby.. we.. that is.. me and the rest of us here, we've been meaning to talk to you about these strange tendencies of yours for quite some time now - we just couldn't find "the right time" to do this.

:P

.. hey! Where'd everybody go!?

Karen Black - she drove me nuts in every role she was in. Red Skelton and his stupid sayings like 'I dood it...' Bing because he was an abusive jerk only to play comatose priests or some straight man to Hope...

My wife said 'Don Rickles'...

Mickey Rooney, Peter Sellers, Woody Allen, Fred Astaire to name a few.  These are annoying, not just poor performers. That would be a whole lot more people.

.. hey! Where'd everybody go!?

We're getting our barf bags. This has been one of the most nauseating threads ever. I never I knew I could find so many actors who could annoy me. The problem is that although I may not agree, I can see what people mean. I like Jean Arthur, for instance, but yeah, I can see how that voice could annoy someone. I adore Carole Lombard, but yeah, the persona in Nothing Sacred and Twentieth Century could drive you up in the wall. In fact, it drives me up the wall and I didn't even know it till now. You mean somebody besides me finds Robert Bengnini annoying? Every time I mention that to someone, they look at me like that want my life to end, they love him. He vindicates himself a little in To Rome With Love, I thought he was good in that (at least he controlled himself).As for Roseanne, for the sake of decency and good will to all etc., I won't even go there. What's getting me is that I can't seem to think of any of my own. This doesn't mean I'm a good guy and can't think of anything bad to say about anyone, I often get mental blocks when confronted with a searing questions like this on the boards. Maybe I'll  think of someone, but so far yall are keeping me quite nauseated without any help from myself.

• Like 1

We're getting our barf bags. This has been one of the most nauseating threads ever. I never I knew I could find so many actors who could annoy me.

Has anybody mentioned Jerry Lewis?

vomit_bag.jpg fyllepsen.jpg 070312_53_MSY_Dee_Barf_Bag.JPG

• Like 1

... What's getting me is that I can't seem to think of any of my own. This doesn't mean I'm a good guy and can't think of anything bad to say about anyone, I often get mental blocks when confronted with a searing questions like this on the boards. Maybe I'll  think of someone, but so far yall are keeping me quite nauseated without any help from myself.

:P

I want you to know, you can always count on us.

Has anybody mentioned Jerry Lewis?

Once he started taking himself seriously, boy was he ever annoying.

The last good "Jerry Lewis Movie" was 'The Patsy' in 1964. After that, pukeville.

As a favor to Bette Davis I have to throw Miriam Hopkins into the mix.

That laugh of hers can drive one up a wall.  

Good choice.   To me the most annoying mother-in-law in T.V. history.  

Maybe the most annoying person in T.V. history.

I saw her in 'The Honeymoon Killers' (1969) and she was annoying in that too. And I remember her in some 'Barney Miller' episodes. Ughh - she's just one of those types.

. What's getting me is that I can't seem to think of any of my own. This doesn't mean I'm a good guy and can't think of anything bad to say about anyone, I often get mental blocks when confronted with a searing questions like this on the boards. Maybe I'll  think of someone,

A few are trickling in ..

Katharine Hepburn ....

I think Kate must be one of the most polarizing of actors. People tend to love her or hate her. I don’t hate her but she annoys me.

Gary Cooper ....

Just because he is IMO the worst, most awkward screen presence in history. The quintessential can’t-act, pretty boy, couldn’t-deliver-decent-line-if-he-had-to “actor.” This is mostly his earlier films and one day I may get enough nerve to watch one of the later ones, I’ve seen photos where he looks rather distinguished and maybe he could be standable in one of those. (I should watch myself here, some posters may remember a GP thread in Favorites [remember that category, no one uses it any more] that had about a bazilliion, gazillion replies to it. Clearly Coop has a fan base, here … I may need to go in to hiding)

Humprhey Bogart ...

He can be annoying because he has the most incredible, the most charismatic, is the most absolute quintessential star in all history, the near irreproachable screen presence in all the world (even the universe) and I find him annoying because instead of seeing him as an actor portraying a presumably real person in life, all I see is the most incredible, the most charismatic, the most absolute quitessential star in all history with the most irreproachable screen presense in all the world (and, yes, in all the universe).

… and that, believe it or not, can be annoying. (sometimes)

John Wayne ...

Do I need to say anything further. Let’s just say …

Wait a minute? Do you see a pattern here? It’s all the big stars. I think I should stop here because I sense I may be going astray. We should be picking people who are annoying for something other than what we might think of their acting skills. Is that right? Hmmm ….

(Seriously, I DO have a problem with this. So many great STARS, especially matinee idol types (especially men) are not very good actors, mainly because they don't have to be. They tended to be IMAGES not actors, and that's the way the studios wanted them ... anyway, another subject for another thread ... )

==

==

A few are trickling in ..

Katharine Hepburn ....

I think Kate must be one of the most polarizing of actors. People tend to love her or hate her. I don’t hate her but she annoys me.

Gary Cooper ....

Just because he is IMO the worst, most awkward screen presence in history. The quintessential can’t-act, pretty boy, couldn’t-deliver-decent-line-if-he-had-to “actor.” This is mostly his earlier films and one day I may get enough nerve to watch one of the later ones, I’ve seen photos where he looks rather distinguished and maybe he could be standable in one of those. (I should watch myself here, some posters may remember a GP thread in Favorites [remember that category, no one uses it any more] that had about a bazilliion, gazillion replies to it. Clearly Coop has a fan base, here … I may need to go in to hiding)

Humprhey Bogart ...

He can be annoying because he has the most incredible, the most charismatic, is the most absolute quintessential star in all history, the near irreproachable screen presence in all the world (even the universe) and I find him annoying because instead of seeing him as an actor portraying a presumably real person in life, all I see is the most incredible, the most charismatic, the most absolute quitessential star in all history with the most irreproachable screen presense in all the world (and, yes, in all the universe).

… and that, believe it or not, can be annoying. (sometimes)

John Wayne ...

Do I need to say anything further. Let’s just say …

Wait a minute? Do you see a pattern here? It’s all the big stars. I think I should stop here because I sense I may be going astray. We should be picking people who are annoying for something other than what we might think of their acting skills. Is that right? Hmmm ….

(Seriously, I DO have a problem with this. So many great STARS, especially matinee idol types (especially men) are not very good actors, mainly because they don't have to be. They tended to be IMAGES not actors, and that's the way the studios wanted them ... anyway, another subject for another thread ... )

==

==

You know what, I feel really bad about the Gary Cooper thing. I would have edited it out but I felt it was too late. Honestly, I may not be fond of Gary Cooper as an actor but do I have to lose control with such a deplorable rant. Apologies ... :head slap:

-

You know what, I feel really bad about the Gary Cooper thing. I would have edited it out but I felt it was too late. Honestly, I may not be fond of Gary Cooper as an actor but do I have to lose control with such a deplorable rant. Apologies ... :head slap:

-

I know his daughter -- lovely woman; and her husband is equally nice, and a fine pianist as well!