TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

It's rather interesting, academically, at least, looking at a film like Bachelor in Paradise, which Hope made in 1961. Now clearly a middle aged man with a bit of a paunch, he is being portrayed as being catnip to the ladies in this film, to a large degree. This is a far cry from the eager beaver Hope of the '40s (his greatest period, in my opinion) who didn't have his leading ladies immediately tumbling for him.

The charm that I found in Hope two decades before was long gone by this time, unfortunately.

Right. Even Lucille Ball seems too sexy for him in CRITIC'S CHOICE.

Not a chance. He's a brave, handsome marshall. Any well-raised, church-going young woman of that era would be proud to love and marry him, and Grace was perfect for the part.

I think this has more of a personal aspect to this (you as a handsome sheriff could land a child like Grace -relatively speaking given their age difference). If Marjorie Main was 10 yrs older than Cooper, how is that different from him being THIRTY -30!!! years older than Grace?! Sounds like a double standard here... And Miriam Hopkins (who can be a little annoying at times - like Shelly Winters - but also part of her ROLES that probably calls for it) is the perfect age. This isn't just about age... LOTS of stars would have been better choices by FAR, but if you were trying to cast someone as 'wooden' as Cooper as far as not really being able to act, emote, feel, or generally be believable, she's perfect... for the role as his DAUGHTER... Totally smacks of mail-order bride... Was that a part of the movie?! Would have tied it all together...Cooper with a face like a catcher's mitt in his 50s, NEVER going to land a smoking babe unless he's rich or she has to...

I have to say Jimmy Stewart for yesteryear

and Sean Penn and Tom Hanks for current day

Oh my you have guts to mention Stewart.  ;)  

I do find a lot of pre-WWII Stewart to be too earnest with too much of the 'ya, shucks, ya,,' type of thing going on.    He played the innocent type well but sometimes it was borderline being an airhead.   The post WWIII Stewart is very solid especially his work in the Mann westerns and Hitchcock films.    

• Like 1

My wife and I both enjoy Bachelor in Paradise and watch it frequently. Bob Hope's movies from the 40's are also very entertaining.  However, I never have liked his Road movies.

Other annoying performers to me are Judy Garland, June Allyson and Doris Day.

• Like 1

I know many here are going to be furious when I cite the only actor (well, actress) I could think of off-hand who annoys me.

I can't help it...Katharine Hepburn !

I know many here are going to be furious when I cite the only actor (well, actress) I could think of off-hand who annoys me.

Yes,  Laffite mentioned her a while back and said this (which I agree with):

Katharine Hepburn ....

I think Kate must be one of the most polarizing of actors. People tend to love her or hate her. I don’t hate her but she annoys me.

I don't think so, missw. I think there are many who will agree with you. For one,  Kate has a polarizing effect on movie fans.... The ole cliche applies;.people tend to love her or hate her (with relatively few in the middle) IMO. I'm not fond of her especially as an actress (acting ability) but even if I find her okay in a movie, she can still be annoying.

EDIT: Oh thanks James, I thought this sounded familiar

;)

Oddly enough, despite my dislike of K.H., I don't mind a lot of her movies. I wouldn't refuse to watch a movie she's in. But then, I can't offhand think of any actor whose annoyance factor is so high it would make me refuse to watch the film they're in.

However, I can at the moment think of only two movies of hers where I don't mind her performance, and they might be just that I like those movies.

Alice Adams: maybe because she's such a sad character in this

Undercurrent: some claim this is fairly tepid as film noirs go (well, perhaps the water in the under current was lukewarm), but I've always enjoyed it. And Kate's more sympathetic than usual, she's even kind of an underdog for a while, very unusual for her.

Oh, and Bringing Up Baby: one of the few screwball comedies I like a lot. Kate's loopy rich girl character is funny, I have to admit. "Oh, David, have you lost your bone again?"

Why do I find her annoying most of the time? Well, for one thing, despite what her fans claim, I think her acting is ok, but not the magnificent paradigm of the perfect female gift to cinematic thespianism that many seem to credit her for. In fact, like many stars from the "golden" era, she has a certain specific persona, and, with a few exceptions, is kind of always the same...

But more than this, the reason I find Katharine Hepburn profoundly annoying is that she is just too, too, wonderful. "Oh, dahling, do be an old dee-ah and shut the doe-ah, lest some of my dazzling magnificence might escape..."

ps: "On second thought, dahling, open the doe-ah wide, that the aura from my dazzling magnificence and wonderfulness might be shared with all who come nee-ah it. "

• Like 2

Of course ! Of course !

I was racking my brain to think of a male actor I was similarly annoyed by, and there it was, staring me right in the face !

Spencer Tracy !

I might not mind him that much, but it annoys me that everyone gushes so about what a "great" actor he is. Sure, he's fine, but again, like his female counterpart (see below), he's no better than a lot of his contemporaries.

Why is there this cult of Hepburn/Tracy adoration?

Plus, Tracy almost always strikes me as smug. With the exception of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, he appears to be constantly secretly congratulating himself that he's so damn good. How come he always has this complacent little smile playing about his lips? Think about it, in almost every role, he's kind of quietly smirking. Like he knows something we don't.

Again, I probably wouldn't go on like this about him if everyone just shut up about how incredibly marvelous and wonderful and talented he was.

Plus, even when he was young, he looked old. So there.

Again, I probably wouldn't go on like this about him if everyone just shut up about how incredibly marvelous and wonderful and talented he was.

So then, MissW, I gather that Tracy doesn't really annoy you so much as do the Tracy fans who keep insisting that he was the greatest actor to ever adorn the screen. I could say the same thing about the Stanwyck fans on these boards.

So then, MissW, I gather that Tracy doesn't really annoy you so much as do the Tracy fans who keep insisting that he was the greatest actor to ever adorn the screen. I could say the same thing about the Stanwyck fans on these boards.

No, it's more than that, Tom baby.

Spencer Tracy, as I noted earlier, exudes this smug quality that I find truly annoying. However, I will concede that my irritation with him is exacerbated by the "he can do no wrong he's perfect" quality of his fandom.

(I'm surprised OttoSenselessor allowed "exacerbated". It sounds somewhat akin to "onanism".)

Although I like her well enough (and some of her films more), I think Stanwyck is over-rated and at times annoying. There, I've said it. TomJH, you gave me courage. 

Although I like her well enough (and some of her films more), I think Stanwyck is over-rated and at times annoying. There, I've said it. TomJH, you gave me courage. 

Oh, Swithin, beware the slings and arrows that may now come our way.

The Stanwyck idolaters may be on the march, and they may be looking for blood. :unsure:

But one thing I'll say for Babs is, she does not come across as smug, which, as I've said, is a problem for me with both Tracy and Hepburn.

Also, say what you will (ok, say what you won't. I'm flexible) about the "average-ness" of Stanwyck's acting, at least she played many different types of characters. To me, both Tracy and Hepburn - but especially Hepburn, at least until the mid-50s - usually played the same sort of person. She always seemed kind of the same to me.

Not so Babs.

Hey, I'd rather diss Katharine Hepburn or Spencer Tracy then switch over to Barbara Stanwyck. Remember, we're talking here about actors who annoy us.

I know you think Stanwyck is over-rated, Swithin, mon vieux, but she doesn't actually annoy you, does she? (Ok, I just went back and saw on your post that sometimes she does. But shirley not as much as Hepburn and /or Tracy do me.)

I do concede, were there an "actors who are over-rated" thread - and there has been ! - I would indeed put H. and T. on the list.

But one thing I'll say for Babs is, she does not come across as smug, which, as I've said, is a problem for me with both Tracy and Hepburn.

Also, say what you will (ok, say what you won't. I'm flexible) about the "average-ness" of Stanwyck's acting, at least she played many different types of characters. To me, both Tracy and Hepburn - but especially Hepburn, at least until the mid-50s - usually played the same sort of person. She always seemed kind of the same to me.

Not so Babs.

Hey, I'd rather diss Katharine Hepburn or Spencer Tracy then switch over to Barbara Stanwyck. Remember, we're talking here about actors who annoy us.

I know you think Stanwyck is over-rated, Swithin, mon vieux, but she doesn't actually annoy you, does she? (Ok, I just went back and saw on your post that sometimes she does. But shirley not as much as Hepburn and /or Tracy do me.)

I do concede, were there an "actors who are over-rated" thread - and there has been ! - I would indeed put H. and T. on the list.

I love Kate, like Tracy is some movies, and yes, Stanwyck does occasionally annoy me.  Her most annoying line, spoken in one of her annoying ways, "Oh look, they're burning our wheat!"  

No, it's more than that, Tom baby.

Spencer Tracy, as I noted earlier, exudes this smug quality that I find truly annoying. However, I will concede that my irritation with him is exacerbated by the "he can do no wrong he's perfect" quality of his fandom.

(I'm surprised OttoSenselessor allowed "exacerbated". It sounds somewhat akin to "onanism".)

I'm not a huge Tracy fan either, but I do love to watch him in a number of his films. I think that Captains Courageous is probably at the top of my Tracy list. I love to watch the relationship that develops between him and Freddie Bartholomew as the brat who matures in that film.

There's a scene in that film in which Bartholomew, finally being completely open in his feelings about Manuel (Tracy), essentially expresses his love for the fisherman by saying that he doesn't want to go home, he wants to stay with him.

"I want to be with you, Manuel," Bartholomew says with tears in his eyes.

There's a closeup of Tracy's face as he caresses the boy's face for a moment and simply says, "My leetle feesh."

75688fe5-7176-4518-8ae8-d9c8d6f3647f_zps

This is the scene. Yep, gets me EVERY time. But I hasten to add that Bartholomew's contribution to the scene is every bit as great as Tracy's.

My favorite Tracy role is as Frank Skeffington in The Last Hurrah, which I think is one of John Ford's great underrated films, and Tracy is magnificent. I don't think he's quite right for the role of Pilon in Tortilla Flat, a film which I think has one of the great character performances in movie history: Frank Morgan as the Pirate.

My favorite Tracy role is as Frank Skeffington in The Last Hurrah, which I think is one of John Ford's great underrated films, and Tracy is magnificent. I don't think he's quite right for the role of Pilon in Tortilla Flat, a film which I think has one of the great character performances in movie history: Frank Morgan as the Pirate.

I'm in complete accord with you on all the above statements, Swithin, including that about Frank Morgan, who truly touches me in Tortilla Flat in a manner that none of the rest of the cast does. Morgan is so unlike anything else that I have ever seen of him. He is so sweet and naive and innocent that I want to boot Tracy in his conniving head for trying to take advantage of him.

Swithin, I know you just said you liked (loved?) Katharine Hepburn. I'm not being disingenuous, or trying to "bait" you, or anything like that, but I'd honestly like to know why.

Even if you're a fan, shirley you know what I mean about her "wonderfulness" being a bit much to take. Don't you??

Miss W, I like the characters Kate plays for the most part and think she's great in them. She's perfect for all the roles in the Tracy-Hepburn films. Her Josephine March is right out of Louisa May Alcott. She brings that romantic yearning to life in so many of her films, including even Mary of Scotland. I have to say -- and I know we're not supposed to let the actors' private lives influence us -- but if they're of a positive nature, why shouldn't they? Kate did some courageous things in her time, a person of integrity.

Regarding BS: As a native New Yorker, I am sometimes offended when posters here say they don't like certain New York accents -- particularly working-class Brooklyn. Shirley Booth and Shelley Winters have been mentioned. But Barbara Stanwyck is also from Brooklyn, and although I cherish all the many accents of my native city (of which Hepburn's is actually a variety), I find Stanwyck's variety of Brooklynese out of place in some of the roles she plays. I mean, she could have tried to get into character more! Is she the female Tony Curtis? (Now I'm in for it!)

Tom -- My degree is in Theology. I know of few scenes in film that represent a truer and more moving representation of religious experience than that of Frank Morgan and the dogs in the Redwood Forest -- the "Story of St. Francis" scene.  "Did you see him? Did you see him, it was St. Francis! What good boys you must be to see St. Francis!"

On the other hand, "Aw look, they're burning our wheat..." (BS in The Purchase Price.)

I'm one of those middle of the road Katharine Hepburn fans. There are times she really irritates (Bringing Up Baby--I loathe that movie.) but when she's on her game (The Lion in Winter) she's mesmerizing. I guess it's when she plays smart, capable women I like her a lot, but not so much when she downplays her intelligence or plays ditzy spoiled brats.

how is that different from him being THIRTY -30!!! years older than Grace?!

But Will Kane was not 30 years older than Amy. He was older - but there's nothing unusual about a woman marrying a man who's older than her. Lots of women are attracted to older men. In 'High Noon', I place Amy as being about 25 and Will as being about 43. Totally fine by me. When one considers the era and the characters they're playing, having the quality of character they have in the story, it's PERFECT CASTING.

You say it's not. I say it is.

Remember the big long discussion a month or two ago about older men in romances with young women? I think it evolved somehow from the "Hammer Noir" thread (talk about off-topic !)

Anyway, as I recall, this conversation about old -rather oldER actors, especially in the 1950s, getting involved with women 10, 20, (30? !) years younger than them went on for some time.

Thing is, let's face it, this is something that happens not infrequently in real life, too. I don't know why GenRipper was so offended by the age difference in High Noon. Didn't really bother me.

Although I'm not a big advocate of the "older man/younger woman" type of union, I'm not repelled by it the way some people are. 

What does bother me is the way people have started to use the word "creepy" in connection with these relationships. "Creepy" is becoming an overused word. 

Why should it be "creepy" that the Gary Cooper character is married to a younger woman? The woman seems to be deeply in love with him, it's not like he's stalking her or anything.

People throw around that word "creepy"  to apply to anything now.

Okay, MissW, you don't like Kate. I get that.

But you said that there were only two performances of her's that you didn't mind.

But shirley, shirley, you must concede that she was just a little bit marvelous in this one . . .

AfricanHepburnBogart4.jpg

The African Queen, which, admittedly, got her on a career kick of then playing spinsters a lot of the time afterwards. Still, her Rosie in this film is far and away my favourite Hepburn performance, a total match for Bogart, I feel. One of the great odd couple pairings of the movies, in which their portrayal of a middle aged love affair blooming between a rumpot skipper and a "psalm singing skinny old maid," as he calls her, helps to make this African comedy adventure one of the career highlights for all involved.  

Err, you do agree, don't you? Isn't this Hepburn performance, at least, one of the few reasons why you might almost understand what some of her fans are rhapsodizing about when they start to extoll her virtues?