TomJH

Who Is The MOST ANNOYING ACTOR In The Movies?

325 posts in this topic

I do like The African Queen, Tom.

She's not so "wonderful" in that. This is not to say she isn't wonderful in it. Am I clear? 

Of course ! Of course !

I was racking my brain to think of a male actor I was similarly annoyed by, and there it was, staring me right in the face !

Spencer Tracy !

I guess I forgot to name Tracy because it's hard to say with a straight face that he wasn't a terrific actor, and in some movies like Bad Day at Black Rock and Libeled Lady almost make up for all the others.  But Jesus, that Irish **** know-nothing, chip-on-his-shoulder character that he portrayed for what seemed like the first 25 years of his career makes his movies an almost uniformly unpleasant experience.  And if he's not playing ****, he's playing one of those patented Breen Code priests in a manner that's almost as annoying as the ones played by Bing Crosby and Pat O'Brien.

But dammit, he's still one hell of an actor, so he's way below Bing, Bob, and Red on my list of actors who make me want to reach for my revolver*----sorry, I mean for my remote. B)

*(For the literalminded: JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!)

I know many here are going to be furious when I cite the only actor (well, actress) I could think of off-hand who annoys me.

I can't help it...Katharine Hepburn !

Funny, I love Hepburn in almost every possible way, but I can't stand any of her early movies, and even more I can't stand The African Queen, which may be the ultimate formula movie of all time. 

But those three comedies she made with Grant are more than enough to put her way up there, and she even manages to make watching Spencer Tracy moderately bearable in those comedies she made with him.

But not Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?  Nothing can save that one.

I do like The African Queen, Tom.

She's not so "wonderful" in that. This is not to say she isn't wonderful in it. Am I clear? 

Yep, that's a "wonderful" explanation.

And I agree with you about the word "creepy" being used a lot these days, particularly in describing a relationship, like there's something dark and sinister going on. I don't quite understand why Gen. Ripper goes on about it quite so much with High Noon, especially since that same age discrepancy existed in countless other '50s productions. (Heck, it was happening even earlier than that in the movies - remember Bogart and Bacall?)

See, I don't think he's any better than, say, James Stewart or Robert Ryan or any number of his contemporaries. (wll, those two were a little younger than Tracy. But not much.)

I'm not going to be an idiot and say Spencer Tracy was not a good actor. Of course he was. But I don't see why everyone casts him on an acting pedestal , why he seems to be considered "the best" of his or any other era. 

As I say, often he seems kind of like he's playing the same person in a lot of different movies. 

I do like him in Fury. Maybe that's because he doesn't yet seem to have developed that twinkly "I 'm so smart" type look in his eyes that he displays so often ( and to me, so annoyingly) later. Actually, I like him in Man's Castle too. But again, that's kind of early on. besides, both those films are unusual and interesting in and of themselves, and I might like them regardless of who played the male lead in them.

Yep, that's a "wonderful" explanation.

And I agree with you about the word "creepy" being used a lot these days, particularly in describing a relationship, like there's something dark and sinister going on. I don't quite understand why Gen. Ripper goes on about it quite so much with High Noon, especially since that same age discrepancy existed in countless other '50s productions. (Heck, it was happening even earlier than that in the movies - remember Bogart and Bacall?)

Anybody consider the thought that besides the issue of "older male stars being quite a bit older than some of their female co-stars back in the mid-20th Century", that maybe the age difference in HIGH NOON was ALSO a very common social phenomenon in the late 19th Century in REAL life?!

Because I believe my grandfather born somewhere around 1875 was about 25 years older than my grandmother, and I've heard that THAT was NOT an unusual occurrence between a man of reasonable means and a young woman just starting adulthood back then.

See, I don't think he's any better than, say, James Stewart or Robert Ryan or any number of his contemporaries. (wll, those two were a little younger than Tracy. But not much.)

I'm not going to be an idiot and say Spencer Tracy was not a good actor. Of course he was. But I don't see why everyone casts him on an acting pedestal , why he seems to be considered "the best" of his or any other era. 

As I say, often he seems kind of like he's playing the same person in a lot of different movies. 

I do like him in Fury. Maybe that's because he doesn't yet seem to have developed that twinkly "I 'm so smart" type look in his eyes that he displays so often ( and to me, so annoyingly) later. Actually, I like him in Man's Castle too. But again, that's kind of early on. besides, both those films are unusual and interesting in and of themselves, and I might like them regardless of who played the male lead in them.

Could you be a little more specific about which movies he seems to be the same person? The one thing that supposedly distinguishes hin from the pack is that he has no particular persona, and that he always seems to be in character. No actor completely alters his speech patterns and voice timbre from film to film.

While there are some movies I have enjoyed him in ('What About Bob' is an example of one), I have found Richard Dreyfuss to be somewhat annoying at times - that snickery little laugh for example. His static-y delivery as well.

Just sometimes. Not always.

While there are some movies I have enjoyed him in ('What About Bob' is an example of one), I have found Richard Dreyfuss to be somewhat annoying at times - that snickery little laugh for example. His static-y delivery as well.

Just sometimes. Not always.

Yep, and he was also very good in his breakthrough role as the recent high school graduate about to leave Modesto CA for an eastern college, in a certain movie which featured classic rock and roll music and classic cars.

For the record, I always find Richard Dreyfuss to be really annoying.

He's a special guest on the upcoming TCM cruise, anyone who wants to push him overboard has my undying gratitude.

• Like 2

For the record, I always find Richard Dreyfuss to be really annoying.

He's a special guest on the upcoming TCM cruise, anyone who wants to push him overboard has my undying gratitude.

When a movie fan hates, he (she) hates.

Heesh? Sheesh! ;)

Btw...THIS reminds me about somethin' around here....

Could somebody tell me the reason for some of our members not showing their gender in their bios?

I can't for the life o' me think of why some folks around here wish to keep that a little secret.

Btw...THIS reminds me about somethin' around here....

Could somebody tell me the reason for some of our members not showing their gender in their bios?

I can't for the life o' me think of why some folks around here wish to keep that a little secret.

Forgot to fill it in? MOST ANNOYING! (This could be a new thread).

Remember the big long discussion a month or two ago about older men in romances with young women? I think it evolved somehow from the "Hammer Noir" thread (talk about off-topic !)

Anyway, as I recall, this conversation about old -rather oldER actors, especially in the 1950s, getting involved with women 10, 20, (30? !) years younger than them went on for some time.

Thing is, let's face it, this is something that happens not infrequently in real life, too. I don't know why GenRipper was so offended by the age difference in High Noon. Didn't really bother me.

Although I'm not a big advocate of the "older man/younger woman" type of union, I'm not repelled by it the way some people are.

What does bother me is the way people have started to use the word "creepy" in connection with these relationships. "Creepy" is becoming an overused word.

Why should it be "creepy" that the Gary Cooper character is married to a younger woman? The woman seems to be deeply in love with him, it's not like he's stalking her or anything.

People throw around that word "creepy" to apply to anything now.

Darkblue - you can climb into some 'fantasy' where there is 20 years between them but I'll stick with the REALITY that there is thirty years (and looks like there is at LEAST 40 yrs) between them... CREEPY. LOL

Now, I know there was a movie on last night where the entire topic was basically a 30 year age gap between Frederic March and Kim Novak. Apparently, the studios (where many heads used the casting couch to bed every child who came through the door) wanted to justify their deviant behavior. Am I surprised that they gave the green light to movies that glorified their 'robbing the cradle'? Nah... I just have to accept that the morals (and marrying children) were a little different in the dark ages. And Darkblue, seeing attractive teenagers as potential paramours is CREEPY for old men...

Lastly, I want to destroy any preconceptions I have issues with May - December romances. My wife is 10 yrs older than me, smoking hot still, AND rich. We've been together for 20 yrs. Now WHY was Marjorie Main not a good choice for casting?! Ah, complete double standards... It's why in 'Sunset Boulevard' when they put a younger man with an older woman, she kills him... Walter Huston walks off with Shirley Temple and everyone is happy, Marie Dressler walks off with Mickey Rooney means someone dies... Complete male dominated double standard...

PS. I'm sure they chose Grace because she was young and hot. Cooper looked WAY older than 50! I'm 48 now and the thought of hooking up with a 18 - 20 yr old makes my skin crawl. Are some hot? Sure, if I wanted to do my DAUGHTER. I don't know, I'm not CREEPY so young girls not appealing to me. This should maybe move to the 'Billy Bigelow' thread where the entire subject is about how things in movies were acceptable at times but not now... Why don't they do a remake where they cast Wilford Brimley as the sheriff and Dakota Fanning as the wife?! CREEPY, that's why... LOL. But, I'll leave everyone to their delusional fantasies because if it happens in the movies, it HAS to be good... They should have made a subplot where Grace was a mail-order bride. That would have been much more believable... Cooper in 'Wings' could score Grace Kelly, Cooper in 'High Noon' could not unless she was forced. Just the facts, ma'm.

OK, I'm trying to take a long break from the board but like a moron, I had to come read some lingering threads. ALOHA!

So GR, how about my earlier thought right down there that this age difference in HIGH NOON might have actually mimicked many real life marriages back in the era this film depicted? No thoughts THERE?

(...or from ANYBODY for that matter!)

So GR, how about my earlier thought right down there that this age difference in HIGH NOON might have actually mimicked many real life marriages back in the era this film depicted? No thoughts THERE?

(...or from ANYBODY for that matter!)

Probably, but times are a changing... Try putting a 20 yr old with her grandfather now and see how it works (unless you're Warren Jeffs).

Probably, but times are a changing... Try putting a 20 yr old with her grandfather now and see how it works (unless you're Warren Jeffs).

So, in essence here GR, you're agreein' with me about this NOT bein' "anarchistic" to the times depicted in HIGH NOON then, RIGHT?!

(...well, I'm glad we have THAT settled then...and thanks for bein' the ONE person to reply to my thought here, btw) ;)

GenRipper, I'm just wondering why you quoted a post I made in its entirety, but then went on to address your response to darkblue.

I have to assume you thought, based on the opinion expressed in the post, that it was he who wrote it.

Moderators and message board technicians, if you're reading this, please be aware this is not the first, nor will it be the last  time someone quotes a poster thinking it's somebody else.

If you were to restore the "reply to" function, it would not happen. ( at least, not nearly so often.) Think you could?

• Like 1

GenRipper, I'm just wondering why you quoted a post I made in its entirety, but then went on to address your response to darkblue.

I have to assume you thought, based on the opinion expressed in the post, that it was he who wrote it.

Moderators and message board technicians, if you're reading this, please be aware this is not the first, nor will it be the last time someone quotes a poster thinking it's somebody else.

If you were to restore the "reply to" function, it would not happen. ( at least, not nearly so often.) Think you could?

Because my reply was to you (except for the first line and a brief comment again to him below). If he doesn't read it, fine, but it was an effort to kill two birds with one stone. Your post was the main subject. Sorry for the confusion. My point to both you was basically the same. I used his name when addressing him specifically.

Moderators and message board technicians, if you're reading this, please be aware this is not the first, nor will it be the last  time someone quotes a poster thinking it's somebody else.

A hardy AMEN to that, sister.

Darkblue - you can climb into some 'fantasy' where there is 20 years between them

Climb?

It's pretty rude to address one's post to one member and then spend the entire time talking to a different member, don't you think.